I moved to this keyboard after using a series of normal rubber-dome type keyboards. I want to give potential buyers an idea of what the experience of using this is, as well as pointing out the things that I do and do not like about this keyboard.

Published on August 17, 2012 by G. Farnsworth

The manufacturer commented on the review below
I bought this item on June 27th 2013. Around September/October, it started malfunctioning frequently. While typing, random series of letters/numbers would appear, and the keys on the number row would stop working.

Published 8 months ago by Guillaume A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and minimalist keyboard. I have no problems with it., August 17, 2012

I want this keyboard primarily for improved typing. I also game, but cheap keyboards are more than good enough for my gaming needs. I want something not taxing (no repetitive stress injuries), fast, and accurate. I like a good click and I prefer short travel. I also prefer lower keytops (i.e., less separation between keys). These keys do not have short travel or low profile keys, but I guess you can't have it all.

As of this writing this is the cheapest mechanical keyboard you can buy. At least the cheapest one with Cherry MX keys. Cherry MX dominates the mechanical keyboard switch market, so almost every mechanical keyboard you will find features them. The various colors indicate the type of key used. These are the blue keys, which are the clickiest type (loud) and also probably the most commonly used for typing keyboards (as opposed to gaming keyboards). At the end of the day, the reason to get a mechanical keyboard is to have the mechanical keys. All the other considerations are pretty secondary. So if you are a budget consumer looking to have the mechanical key experience, this is the best keyboard to choose. Provided, of course, that you are interested in the MX blue keys.

The Switches
=======================================================================

The MX blue switches make two distinct sounds as you press a key. At 2mm they make a very high-pitched click. This is also when the key activation signal is sent to the computer. When and if the key bottoms out at 4mm, they make a much louder and lower pitched click. Personally I would have preferred to have a lower pitched click at 2mm and then not much noise at the bottom, but that wasn't the intended design. It takes a bit of getting used to. You start to type more gently and stop bottoming out the keys so much. So with a bit of experience this keyboard is not nearly as loud as it is when you first start using it. I have no problem with the level of noise of the 2mm click, but I do wish the pitch was a little lower. Actually I'm hoping that might change just a little when I use the O ring modification that I will be implementing.

The force required to push these keys is significantly lower than it is on most keyboards I have used. Between that and the fact that you don't really want to be bottoming them out all the time (the bottoming out is a bit more abrupt and jarring than it is on a cheap keyboard), you end up typing very gently indeed. However, the key travel (if you go all the way to bottoming out) is typical or a bit longer than many keyboards I have used. There is a lot of variation in that respect, though. If you want a mechanical keyboard, you will most likely get cherry MX keys, and all cherry switches have the same amount of travel as far as I know. Putting the O rings in place will reduce the travel somewhat. Personally I like less travel than this.

I believe CoolerMaster does or will make this keyboard with a number of different switch types. The browns will feel similar but not have the high pitched click at 2mm. The reds and blacks will not have the tactile feel or click until you bottom them out.

One things I like about these mechanical switches is that there are no issues with friction on the way down. All the resistance you feel is due to the springs in there. Some cheap keyboards seem to have plastic-on-plastic resistance, which is the worst.

The high pitched sound of the clicking, paired with the relatively low friction on the way down can make these keys feel and sound like they are very light and almost fragile. It's just an impression they give, and not exactly the best one in my opinion.

The Keytops
=======================================================================

They keytops are OK, but nothing really special. They are a bit more textured than average, but there are many cheap keyboards that feel similar. I would say the edges are just a little sharper than average as well. Not problematically so, just more than average.

The font they use on these keys is rather unattractive. It's kind of squarish. I think coolermaster was a bit confused about their target audience when they made this. The choice of blue switches and the minimalist design (no macro keys, for example) appeals to a more mature audience. But the font was chosen to be alien or something. It's very nintendo. Not a huge deal because, honestly, who looks at the font?

The layout of the keys is nice. I haven't had any issues with the backspace or spacebar. Those are the most difficult keys to get right because they have to have stabilizers inside of them so the whole key goes down when you press it. The spacebar, in particular, is much better than in a cheap keyboard because personally my thumbs are lazy or something and don't tend to push it down far enough in a normal keyboard, but they get it every time here. It's really nice. My thumbs are happy.

The letters are painted on here. And with fairly thick glue--you can feel it on some keys. Some people have complained that it wears off, which I can believe. Actually I'm kind of hoping for some wear here. Personally I like a smooth keytop (not textured) and I won't miss the letters on the letter keys. Of course, things won't wear off on keys I use infrequently, which are the only ones I need to look at. Anyway, I can see how it would bother someone to have letters wear off but not me. I'll check back in and let you know if they actually do wear off in a few months.

I have a CoolerMaster case, PSU, and CPU cooler on this computer--they make good stuff (and inexpensive) for the enthusiast computer builder. I've noticed that, more than just about any brand, they love their branding. The logo above the arrow keys and the little vortex next to the escape are fine. The big "quick fire" on the spacebar is really ridiculous. I may actually replace it. One nice thing about these MX keys is that you can pretty easily get replacement keys from a number of sources and change them out as you wish. The windows menu key does not exist, which is nice because no one uses that. Instead they have a function key that accesses a few special keys on the keyboard. Not bad. Better than having dedicated keys for things like volume and pause. The windows keys just have big vortexes on them, which I don't particularly like. Honestly, I'd rather have that than a windows logo, though. So really it's just the spacebar logo I don't like. What were they thinking?

There is an LED on the caps lock, scroll lock, and F9 key (which, when used with the function key, puts you in gaming mode and disables the windows keys). These are exceptionally large and bright, which is awesome. There's no way you will be typing with the caps lock on and not notice it. Good call, Coolermaster. In ordinary typing mode these lights are not on, so they are no an annoyance.

Physical Design
===========================================================================

This keyboard is pretty heavy. I thought that would be unambiguously good until I realized how often I'm in the habit of moving my keyboard around as I shift my body. I used to just use one hand and grab the keyboard by the arrow keys but that's not really possible here, so I actually have to grab the whole keyboard. On the plus side, it won't move around anywhere while you are typing--there are also some rubber feet underneath. Basically all mechanical keyboards are heavy. I think it's because they are expensive and people expect expensive things to be heavy, honestly.

Some people have said this keyboard is smaller than a normal one in terms of keys or layout. This is not true. The keys and layout are exactly the same size as any standard sized keyboard. The fact that there is no number pad makes the keyboard look small, but everything else is just in people's mind. The lack of number pad saves real estate on your desktop and allows the mouse to be closer. Very nice. You just have to get used to actually centering yourself in front of the keyboard, rather than sitting (or reaching) slightly to the left.

This keyboard is taller than I am used to. The switches require more space under the keys than the cheap kind. This is making me adjust my normal posture. I'm probably going to get a wrist support, and I suggest it for others as well.

The USB cable is awesome, and it's awesome that it is removable and replaceable. It's awesome that you can route it straight out or to either side. I haven't had any problems with it not wanting to stay put. Very nice.

There is a vaguely rubbery texture to the keyboard (not the keys) that feels nice. Not that you handle it a lot, but I like it when I do.

I have done a good bit of typing and I have not noticed any keys that are more difficult to press or that require a deeper stroke than others. Good build quality in that respect.

All in all, the physical design and manufacture is minimalist, well-thought-out, and excellent.

There are several extra keys (red ones and cooler master branded ones) in case you want to have the WASD keys red for gaming. Again, Coolermaster can't decide if this keyboard is for sophisticated typists or dedicated gamers. I guess they are trying to get both on board. If there's a weakness of this keyboard it's that it's too general. It's not as gamer-centric as, say, a Razer, and not as sophisticated as, say, a Das. But it delivers the keys and a good design at a great price, so I can't fault it.

O ring modification
======================================================================

I decided to modify this keyboard by adding O rings under the keytops. This is a common modification of these cherry switches that you can read about in various places on the internet. I bought "008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width" here on Amazon, which is by far the cheapest source of fitting O rings I have found. For about twice the price you can get some other options sold for use specifically in keyboards. But it's so cheap and easy to get it from Amazon!

Anyway, the addition of the O rings under the keys accomplishes three things:

1. It quiets the "clack" sound when the key bottoms out (not the "click" when
the switch actuates).

2. It makes the key bottom out in a less jarring manner that is more
comfortable.

3. It reduces the key travel. I have heard people say they don't notice the
reduction in key travel, but I do.

The modification was pretty easy. The only hard part was doing the big keys, which have a stabilizing metal bar under them. You have to kind of bend the bar outward in order to get the key off. After the first couple I got the hang of it and it was pretty easy. Anyway, the reduction in the loud sound when the key hits bottom is quite striking, but I still have the click that tells me the key has actuated. Good deal. I also like the softer bottom out and the reduction in travel. In fact, I wish you could reduce the key travel even more. I like my keys to not need much depression. I tried adding two O rings to a single key. It felt great, but sometimes it didn't work when I was typing on it (if I didn't press hard) so I had to take it out.

Conclusion
========================================================================

I would like it if Cherry MX made some switches that required less travel and/or bottomed out less hard. Basically I'd like it if they were to do the O ring modification at the factory so we don't have to do it ourselves. Even better would be to create a new trigger that actuated at 1mm instead of 2. I would love that. But anyway, there isn't really much choice in the world of mechanical keyboard switches. Cherry MX basically owns the market. They are good switches, and I am satisfied with them. This keyboard is one of the cheapest and best ways to get them. Now that I own this, I think I would prefer a brown switch instead of blue, but that's not CoolerMaster's fault. I'm thinking of getting a second mechanical keyboard with the browns to keep at home (and use this at the office).

Overall I can't find any reason to remove a star. This keyboard delivers what it promises. The choice of font and branding are a little unfortunate, but don't actually affect me much. I suspect they have great engineers designing it physically (just like they have designing all their aftermarket computer hardware), but then some silly people in the marketing department decide what kind of paint to use, where and how. Well, paint is not the most relevant part of a keyboard, thankfully.

Five stars. Thanks coolermaster.

Update 1: Keytops

After a while using this keyboard both at home and and work, one thing began to bother me. The little bumps on the F and J keys (found on all keyboards) are just a little higher/sharper than I prefer. I used a dremel tool to grind them off and now I am much happier.

Now I can begin to worry about the really small details, like the fact that the paint used for the letters is thick enough that I can feel it. I kind of wish it would rub off. I rubbed a little nail polish remover on one of them to see if it would come off but it didn't. I don't want to try anything more harsh/dangerous.

Eventually I'll probably go 100% geek and get a set of blank keytops from WASD to replace these. Once you get started down the path of keyboard perfection, it seems like there's always another level. ;)

Update 2: Keytops
==================================================================================================

Actually I later used a very fine grit sandpaper (wet) to rub my keys down and remove all texture. It was slightly tedious to take each key off individually but ultimately I removed the texture and the part of the letter ink that is raised without actually removing the letters themselves. Work out very well and I am now satisfied. By the way, using the sandpaper dry didn't work well at all.

If the stealth version of this keyboard had been available at the time of my purchase I would have gone for that. It's a great idea to have the letters printed on the front of the keys instead of the tops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master does wonderful things., February 12, 2012
I had only heard of the company.
I didn't know a company like it could make mice and keyboards.
Now I know. They're really good at it.

This is a mechanical keyboard. MX Blue switches(North America). Other regions may find Brown/Red. It's a mechanical keyboard that has the qualities of other well-known creators. In every sense, they really are bringing a level of quality found in much more expensive keyboards($100-200).

I believe it takes a lot for a company to realize mechanical keyboards like this is in demand. They have a good sense like they've been building for many years.
Ever heard of Leopold Tenkeyless keyboards?
From what I see/ hear this is almost identical- layout and cable management both. Just much cheaper.

My favorites:
+Tenkeyless - sophisticated.
+Cherry Blue switches are easy on your fingers
+Rubber matte coating finish entire top body. Utter joy... my favorite feature (As you can see, the body is grey - that's the rubberized part)
+laser-etched keys of decent touch
+Heavy, overall solid
+Red WASD set! always an awesome option. Also red LEDs on select keys.
+Fn shortcuts with a windows key lock! Wow. Volume control works great as well, use it all the time.
+Detachable, gold-plated mini USB.
+$80 price point?! (Edit: lowest I've seen now is 59.00! Wow...!)

Concerns (minor flaws):
*Few too many CM logos.
*Wish it had more useful Fn shortcuts/macro key capability! The Window key lock was a great idea.
*Red LEDs might be too bright.
*Routing the wire left/right, it really doesn't stay in the channels. Keeps popping out.
From those wires constantly not staying inside the channels, it makes the keyboard awkward and slippy when the wire gets underneath.

*Clicks might be too loud for some, but this is the nature of most mechanical boards, and the blue switch. So don't worry too much.

FINAL:
Cooler Master(the company that makes computer cooling components/cases) is definitely making the right moves in the right direction... they deserve a lot of attention! I'm serious! this keyboard is great. I've listed these 'concerns' of personal taste but this is a great board for the price.

*Update 3/13/12
Having used scissor keys on laptops for a long time, I'm having a hard time adjusting to these mechanical switches. I sometimes feel slower because of the longer actuation distance compared to my standard laptop keys.

*3/19/12
I actually play better/ equally good on these now. It just took some time getting used to :D I love using it.

*4/22/12
Great for SC2, Dota2 ;D
Also played Diablo III beta with it. Haha, I guess we kind of miss macro keys for games like that.

*NEW update 10/22/12
Brought this to my dorm room where I don't have to worry about any noise.
Since then, it's become my best friend. I love this thing.
Helped me type 8 pages or research in about 5~8 hours, and I play Dota 2 with it :)

HELPFUL INFO:
I have learned and picked up on a few things since my purchase back in March.

1. You want to buy Costar-made boards, not iOne.
Thankfully, our keyboard (QuickFire Rapid) is indeed Costar-made! :D it's so awesome.

2. For programmable macro keys, buy CM Storm Trigger (also Costar made!)
awesome board... I might pick it up in the future.

3. Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire Pro is NOT a Costar board. It's iOne made, and apparently is of lesser quality.

4. "People 'think that the MX red' is 'quieter' but it isn't any quieter, it's the same loudness only without the mid actuation click of the MX blue.

That click barely adds anything to the loudness.

There's no such thing as a quiet cherry MX keyboard. "
(quoted from user tp4tissue at Slickdeals)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard - I bought two from CoolerMaster, July 1, 2012
ACW1120 (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Red Switches (Personal Computers)
Full disclosure here - I am not a gamer, I just want to buy a quality keyboard for my work and personal use. the selection criteria for the key board for me are:

1. Good touch and feel- I do not like the mushy feeling of the cheap keyboard came with every PC.
2. Good quality- keyboard material and workmanship must be good.
3. Small and no bell and whistle- the keyboard has to be clean in design and good in execution, I do not want a keyboard that have many features I do not use.

For the above selection criteria, I did check out some of the keyboards from different manufactures, I ended up with the basic requirements for a mechanical keyboard and preferably with Cherry blue or red switch, I ended up buying both from Cooler Master.

In my opinion, Cooler Master key board has the best price performance point of any other keyboards I compared with, especially, you do not care about 10 keys entry, I like the tactile feedback of the blue switch, and I also like the easiness of red switch, I decide I will use blue at my work and red for home. Both keyboards provide excellent value, and they are also very quality made, I do not think you will go wrong with any of them.

10-7-2012

After bought another CM red keyboard, and use both for a while (one at work, one at home), I think CM blue is better, CM red has this soft feel with less of a feedback than CM blue, when typing fast, I make more mistakes on CM red than CM blue. Also on my CM red, the PS2 connector seems to have connectivity problem, it will drop the letters for no apparent reason, after I switch to USB connector, all is well, I will not just fault CM keyboard yet, it may very well because of my motherboard problem than keyboard issue.

In general, both keyboards perform well, I like the quality of the build and they serve the intended purpose.

5-25-2013

Here is my personal observation, just overall feeling after using the mechanical keyboard for a while, I now have doubts of the mechanical keyboard, its overall effort in actuation of the keys, and the accuracy of the typing associated with it, I found mechanical keyboard exert more pressure to your finger joints than other type of keyboards, and it is really a personal preference issue. I still think CM makes very good keyboard, and quality is obvious there, but I feel my finger joints aching after a long day using mechanical keyboard. This is my personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt before you make decision on the mechanical keyboard.

3-2-2014

After almost 2 years continue use, no problem, the quality of the product is good and reliability is proven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mechanical keyboard with cherry mx blue switches, and great value for money, February 29, 2012
This keyboard is great value for money. It has cherry MX blue mechanical switches (clicky, tactile), and a flex-free chassis. It comes with extra red WASD keys and a keypuller. There is an option to disable the windows keys so you don't accidentally minimize out in the middle of a game.

If you are a hardcore gamer, you will be happy to note that this keyboard has NKRO (n-key rollover) when it is plugged in to the PS/2 port. For those who aren't hardcore gamers, NKRO is not really a big deal (unless you plan to press more than 6 keys at the same time when the keyboard is plugged in via USB).

Cherry MX Blues are generally felt to be the best mechanical switches for typing, while gamers tend to prefer linear switches (like Cherry MX Reds and Blacks). But personal preferences vary, and I love the clicky-clacky sound of the MX Blues. There are lots of Youtube videos out there that will give you an idea of what different cherry mx mechanical keyboards sound like.

It's built by Costar (who make keyboards for Filco, like the Majestouch) for Coolermaster, so in essence you are getting a rebadged Filco, which makes the pricepoint even more attractive. There are some differences - the LED indicator lights are in the keys themselves, and not on the chassis like the Filco. It's a little less "clacky" than the Filco Majestouch but the sound is a little more 'squeaky' (accoustics of the keyboard case?)

The quality is excellent. The chassis is level, none of the keys stick, the laser etching is very well done (although some may raise an eyebrow at the key fonts, which isn't the usual pleasing Helvetica but a Star-Trekish modern sans serif -- I like it, though!)

There are a *lot* of Coolermaster logos on the keyboard - one between the Esc button and F1, one above the arrow keys, the Win keys have the CM Storm logo on them, and there is a "Quick Fire" etched into the spacebar. Very busy.

It has a FN key that allows the F5 through F12 keys to be used to control multimedia and volume (and turn off the Win keys).

The keys are minimally textured and matte, and don't shine and reflect light like the Das Keyboard (which is good!)

This is a tenkeyless keyboard, so if you are looking for a numpad this keyboard is not for you. Overall I love this keyboard, it is great value for money and excellent quality (what else would you expect from Costar?). If you are looking for a tenkeyless cherry mx blue mechanical keyboard, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for typing and gaming!, July 3, 2012
After using this keyboard for a day I never want to type on a rubber dome keyboard again. First let me say that I love the mx red switches. Through forums I have read people's opinions on mx reds. Some love them for gaming and typing while others argue mx reds are bad for typing. My opinion is that they are great for both. I tried mx blues for a day. They were ok, but I disliked the click and the force required. I found the tactile feedback somewhat distracting as well. I don't find the mx red switches to be too light as some have stated. In fact I find them perfect. I also like the sound they make; not too loud, and not too quite.

Thoughts on the cooler master quickfire rapid with mx red:

Pros*
-mx red switches.
-Matte black casing looks great (no fingerprints left behind)
-Keyboard has a solid build
-Keyboard uses costar stabilizers
-Excellent feel while typing
-Great for gaming
-Great for typing
-Tenkeyless (space saver)
-Removable usb cable
-Price point compared to Filco keyboards of similar quality

Cons*
-Over branding of CMstorm logos
-Key font is in my opinion ugly (I will buy new key caps when I get a chance)
-Cable braided in stiff ugly nylon (I would prefer fabric braiding like on my mouse)

Minor Cons*
-Came with a squeaky backspace key. However, this is somewhat normal and went away after a couple of hours of use
-Rubber coating over logos is easily scratched off.
-I would prefer to do without the rubber coating.
-I would like rubber feet on the feet extensions like found on Filco keyboards
-Font lettering is slightly raised

Over all considering the price and quality this is a five star product. However, if you want to change the key caps (20-50 dollars more) and dislike the styling I would say it is a four star product.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap connector construction ruins an otherwise good keyboard, January 12, 2014

I realized that this stopped when I fiddled with the cable. It only happened once every few weeks, so I didn't pay much attention to it (and at first thought it may have been a driver issue). But it happened more and more frequently. Now in January 2014, it happens up to several times a day.

Since the cable is detachable, I swapped it out- same problem. Turns out that the issue lies with the USB connector of the keyboard - it must be cheap and prone to short circuiting.

I searched online, and it seems like it is a very common issue with this keyboard. I contacted Cooler Master, and they offered to RMA it, which is a huge pain as I got used to typing on this keyboard and I'm going to have to send it back and wait for weeks before getting a new one. I also changed the keycaps, so now I'm going to have to take them all out again. All in all a hassle.

Avoid this product. It's amongst the cheapest mech keyboards you can find for a reason.

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 1:07:03 PM PDT
Hello Guillaume,

I know you may have already worked with our staff and completed an RMA, but wanted to respond so that if others find your review, they can receive the same help. The keyboard does come with a two year warranty. If any defects like this occur, we are always more than willing to help replace this for you. I do apologize that it may take time to remove your custom keys, yet if you send these in with your defective keyboard. There is no guarantee you will receive these keys back and placed on your replacement keyboard.

If you have further questions or comments, don't be afraid to call us at 888.624.5099 or use the LIVECHAT/SUPPORT TICKET links in our Fanzone.

Fanzone - https://account.coolermaster.com/logon.aspx

Best regards,

Robert N.
CM USA Support

5.0 out of 5 stars Heh ... Untoucheable, June 14, 2012
No real Cons

Im a hardcore gamer, and i have been searching, reviewing, doing homework, reading up on 100's of Cherry MX keyboards. Any hardcore PC gamer like me, wants the best. Well then, let me briefly tell you something...

-Keys are solid!! [I have friends with the Black Widow and the Black Widow Ultimate, 2 friends with a Das keyboard, and a cousin with a iOne keyboard, all cherry mx key switches. They ALL love the solid build quality of MY QuickFire keyboard and the subtracted number pad area. The Black Widow sturdyness compared to this is NOTHING, and my friends agree (however they are stuck with their blackwidow and blackwidow ultimate and they have RMA'd their keyboards atleast once within the first few months). That BWU and BW have numerous unsolid build issues as well as tempermental firmware built-in. Das is great but too pricey just for a keyboard. Its more about paying for a brand name for Das (ex. Apple vs PC- ur paying for the brand when it comes to Mac). The iOne keyboard is nice but not a solid feel to it. Trust me guys, you will fall in love.

-Compact. Does not take up much room at all. I have an Asus laptop and i use this bad boy right on top of the native laptop keyboard area. Quite nice and still comfortable.

-The cable is a true braided cable. Its like it can bend perfectly and its made from metallic/steel like material. It is strong. No accidental clips or cuts on this keyboards cord. When you see the cord, you will know immediately you bought a quality product.

-You dont really need the backlighting. The backlight added to the anchors in the Cherry MX blue switches can really complicate things. When its just the Cherry MX keys and a solid build with the WASD red key caps, you should be more than ok. You can go to cmstorm.com if you are set on backlighting however.

5 stars and will drop in every once and a while to update my ongoing useage of the keyboard with any applicable flaws.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Stay WELL away from this lemon of a keyboard., February 7, 2013
Phillip R. Jaenke (Berea, OH United States) - See all my reviews
UPDATE MAY 2013:
TL;DR: AVOID IT. Mine has been problematic since early May and is now basically useless. Cooler Master has a lemon here and support knows it. Customer Service? Apparently non-existent. Keyboard fails after your Amazon return date, TOO BAD. You'll be spending 15-30% of the purchase price every time you have to ship it back.

At just over 3 months the keyboard has basically turned into a paperweight. The X key doesn't transmit a signal for 2-3 seconds, if at all. The left Win and Alt keys are problematic, a known defect Cooler Master claims they fixed. (NOPE.) The Fn key layer sometimes doesn't work. Two keys have quit clicking completely and several more have very weak clicks at best, or intermittently. Numerous keys stick and the stabilizers rattle like a can of rocks.

Attempting to get any customer service out of Cooler Master is like pulling teeth. When - not if, WHEN - your keyboard goes south you can expect a turnaround time measured in "we have no estimate" to "no guarantee you'll get a new part." Even if it fails within 3 months. Amazon had to ship me three different keyboards from two different batches to get one good one. I have ZERO confidence that Cooler Master will get it right on the first try - Amazon couldn't and those were brand new, straight off the boat from China. Especially when Cooler Master is STILL shipping keyboards with the known, documented, and admitted to "Left Alt" defect they allegedly fixed.

Advance RMA service? Uh, yeah. Forget it. There pretty much is no service. First you have to register your serial number and upload your receipt - okay, that's reasonable. Then you have to open two accounts on two different support sites - both of which are Cooler Master support. Then you need to submit a ticket through the second site to find the phone number you have to call to request an Advance RMA. Then you call that number to find out what the process is, which is: 1) open a ticket on the first site 2) get an RMA approved which can take several days 3) call them back 4) get to the right queue 5) give them your credit card so they can put a hold on it for full MSRP of 90 bucks 6) wait up to 4 weeks 7) pay 15-25 bucks out of your own pocket (or almost half the price of the keyboard here at Amazon) to get it back to them within 14 days. Or is it 30 days? Because the two different sites gave, you guessed it, different information.

I've NEVER had a vendor with a more convoluted, non-functional, and confused system - to say nothing of the response. When I call any other vendor and say "I need an advance RMA" I deal with one site, one department, one person - certainly not three or more! Most of them have the decency to cover the shipping when it fails in a fashion associated with a known defect or so quickly with such an ugly history.

I gave one of their community representatives a chance to address my customer service concerns elsewhere, stating that my primary issue was with the fact that I was being told to pay shipping on something that was basically defective from the factory, and that even finding out the process to REQUEST an advance RMA was a horrid experience. No response - not even saying they couldn't budge on shipping. In fact, they appear to have studiously ignored it.

And certainly no manufacturer I have EVER dealt with has responded to the comment that it would leave me without a keyboard for who knows how long (no guarantee on when advance RMA would ship) with the comment that I should 'just buy another if that's an issue, then.'

Ironically sound advice: buy another indeed. ANOTHER BRAND.

Hopefully Amazon customer service can do something. Because Cooler Master either can't or won't.

------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
So I finally got a good one on try three. Apparently there's a lot of this going on with the Blue and Green switches (the clicking ones) from all sources. Very disappointing.

That said, if you can manage to get one that has all the switches clicking, it's not a half bad keyboard - especially for the money. (Or you could opt for linear and bump switches that don't have this concern - that would be Red, Black and Brown.) The construction of the chassis is very solid and weighty - no corners being cut there. It's reassuringly sturdy without being heavy. The included USB cable is covered in a nice braiding and has plenty of length for most desk setups - I would recommend buying a longer cable (it is user replaceable) for large desks though.

My biggest complaint is the keycaps and the stabilizers. The keycaps themselves feel cheap, and develop wear (shine) very quickly and easily. The lasering process makes the legends on the keycaps very noticeable too, making them feel pad printed, even though they aren't. A lot of people swear by the Costar wire-style stabilizers Cooler Master selected for the QFR, but they really missed the ball on these. The stabilizer on the right shift key overwhelms the tactility of the switch. All you feel is stabilizer. The left shift isn't much better. The spacebar stabilizer had insufficient lubrication which causes it to stick and hesitate, but that's easily remedied without voiding the warranty.

If you don't mind replacing the keycaps (I elected to purchase a PBT set elsewhere) and can get past the stabilizer feel, it's a very solid keyboard. I'm a little hesitant to recommend it to many users, because of the issues with the stabilizers and keycaps, but for folks who are comfortable with these things? It's an excellent choice. Cooler Master is also 100% behind these products; they've had some very nasty stumbles, but they've made it quite clear they accept responsibility for them, and will do what it takes to make them right.

If cost is your primary concern, don't bother looking elsewhere. The QFR is where to go. One, Amazon's price is lowest, consistently. Two, the only other comparable keyboards in terms of quality, construction, and layout start at twice the price and only go up from there.

-----previous review is here:
My first keyboard came from a December shipment, and was without question, a demonstration of how not to do quality control. Sure, the keys "worked." Except that six of them had no click at all - the defining feature of the Cherry MX Blue switch. They just went thud. The Windows Lock key also only worked sometimes. So fine, it happens, bad ones slip through the cracks. And Cooler Master already admitted they had a defective batch which resulted in them stepping up QC substantially and making design changes to ensure it didn't happen again.

So I exchanged it and got a new keyboard from the shipment Amazon received in late January. "It's a new shipment and a new batch, so it'll be fine." It wouldn't be the first time I've had to RMA a product I'm planning to review for one of the websites I write for. Mistakes happen, shipping damage happens, weather happens, you get the idea.

NOPE. The second keyboard wasn't nearly as bad, but it was still unacceptable for a 'gaming' product and doubly so for a Cherry MX Blue based keyboard. Two of the keys had no click out of the box. That should be an immediate and instant QC fail for any MX Blue keyboard, period, no exceptions. Especially when those keys are Left Alt and Left Arrow. Or does nobody use Alt-Tab or Microsoft Excel?
That was bad enough, but the backspace key also wobbled and intermittently produces the most painfully annoying squeak you have ever heard. Hit it just slightly off angle and get rewarded with "SKREE!"
And the keycaps themselves - where do I even begin? Less than 4 days of use and the spacebar more closely resembles a mirror in places - so much for that texture! If you rest your hands on the keyboard, you can also kiss the home row goodbye. It's so bad that the "J" label feels like it's a sticker. And this is after less than a week!

I've used a lot of mechanical keyboards over the past 20+ years. The design and basics of a genuinely great keyboard are there in the QuickFire Rapid. They really are. But the quality control appears to be completely MIA. And these keycaps would barely be acceptable on a $20 rubber dome keyboard; forget an $80+ 'gaming' keyboard.
Frankly, I've personally seen Amazon deactivate sales of this specific keyboard at least 5 times in the past week citing 'high return rates.' I gave it a fair chance; two keyboards, two completely different shipments, and both of them were bad out of the box. I'm certainly not going to pay shipping out of my pocket to send it back to Cooler Master and wait a few weeks for them to send me a keyboard that may or may not be just as bad.

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 11:47:32 AM PDT
Hi Mr. Jaenke,

We sincerely apologize for any trouble. We weren't able to find any inquiries under the name of "Jaenke." If you can please contact us via Live Chat with your RMA number or contact information, we can rectify the situation.

Respectfully,

CMUSA Customer Support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Backspace Key failed around 2 months, June 14, 2013
The Backspace Key failed on the keyboard after approximately 2 months use normal use. Pricey keyboard for this kind of issue to come up. Others have noted issues with the alt. key failing after a couple of months, as well. Quality control issues?

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:21:17 AM PDT
Hi Mr. Nan,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact us via the Live Chat link below so we can get the keyboard replaced under the 2 year warranty.

Respectfully,

CMUSA Customer Support.
Live Chat:

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for the first 4 months. Then, dead., October 10, 2013
M. McEachen (California, USA) - See all my reviews
The keyboard, when working, is wonderful.

Last month, though, when I plugged it in, the caps lock LED lights briefly, and then nothing--it doesn't show up on any USB hub or when directly inserted into my MBP, linux workstation, or windows. Something internal must have fried.

I haven't dropped it or been rough with it--it stayed on my desk. :\

Emailed customer support via their website, and didn't hear back from them.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:03:29 PM PDT
Dear valued customer,
I'm sorry for the troubles you've encountered. Please contact us via either ticket submission or on Live Chat so that we can assist you with your troubles.

Regards,