Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Story Adult Curriculum Participant's Guide: Getting to the Heart of God's Story
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on November 13, 2011
I have been leading a small group with 14 participants for three weeks on The Story. I purchased only one Participant Guide initially, based on the single review I had read. Before the first session, I photocopied the first lesson in the guide (don't condemn me yet) and distributed it to each participant. After the session was completed, I circulated my copy of the Guide within the group for the purpose of asking participants whether or not they might want to purchase their own copy. We had some discussion about this, and all (yes, all) felt that the opportunity to contemplate the questions (perhaps several times during the week) after doing the weekly readings in The Story NIV text would enhance the discussion at our sessions. Consequently, I ordered 13 more copies. After a couple more weekly group sessions, it is apparent to me that the discussions have become more lively and penetrating. I think this approach has benefited my group. Granted that all groups are dynamically different, and that this approach may likewise not be suitable in all situations, my suggestion is to review the material and think this through carefully before you purchase multiple copies of this Guide. In my case, after 3 weeks, I think this is an excellent small group program, and the materials are very well done. 31 weeks is a long time, but if the first 3 lessons is a good indicator for my group, the time will go by quickly. The DVD is also very well done, and Randy Frazee is a superb storyteller and facilitator. There are more materials available for this program which I am not using and therefore cannot comment on, but I highly recommend the three main sources: The NIV Text, the Participant Guide, and the DVD.
77 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
This "The Story" is wonderful. I am a member at Shoreline Church, home of The Harney's and we have adopted this teaching for our entire congregation. I for one have never read the bible all the way through.... I usually just read through whatever is brought up during services. I really like the participants guide as it really makes you think and it also helps bring things into perspective for TODAY and our own personal lives. I hope you all give it a go, you will not regret it. Thank you and God Bless.
on December 7, 2012
The book and the DVD really give a good overview of the bible and how God has worked throughout history to bring humanity back into a loving relationship with Himself. A bit too light for the mature Christian who is very skilled in the bible, but it's a nice refresher for us all. Definitely a must have for the new Christian who seeks to understand God and His Word better. I didn't care much for the participant guide, though which is why I gave this only 3 stars. Found the questions a bit boring, but I guess it is good for a group setting and helps to foster conversation. We did this study at home, so I don't know if I would recommend the guide for self-study purposes. All in all the book and DVD are really good.
on July 14, 2012
The Story is an excellent book that gives a big picture view of the Bible. It is basically the Bible written in a novel format. Our church is studying The Story and our family has been reading it and watching the DVD series. This has completely enhanced our understanding of the Bible and our walk with the Lord. They have a teen series and a children's series as well. I recommend this to everyone!
on March 21, 2013
I have studied the Bible for over 34 years, often for many, many hours at a time. This Bible study has been an incredible blessing for me.

The Holy Spirit has given the people that produced this Bible study some incredible insights that have deeply enriched many of our lives as we have gone through the book, study guide, and video together.

I highly recommend this Bible study for anyone and everyone that desires not just more Bible knowledge, but rather, a deeper relationship with the LORD.

Take your time, and let God's word deeply penetrate your heart and your mind. You will be marvelously surprised and the wonderful transformation God will do in your life as you do.

Now I am even more hungry for God.

Looking for higher ground....

Soarwitheagles
on December 28, 2015
(this is for the entire program not just this workbook.)

I guess this curriculum is intended for someone who has no knowledge of the Bible. But even with that I'm not sure this is the best option. It is a 60,000 foot overview at best. Lots of detail is left out which sometimes causes more questions then clarification.

The text weaves the authors narration with scripture passages (from both the Old Testament and New Testament) but doesn't delineate between either his narration or the scripture verses. You have no idea what you're reading is a quote from scripture or simply his paraphrasing.

In fact there are little to no scripture references whatsoever. So if you wanted to look up a section from the book in a Bible to expand on what the author is saying you would be hard-pressed to find the scripture Book or chapter that cross references what you're reading.

The whole "upper story" and "lower story" works sometimes and other times seems vague and manufactured.

I have not come across anything that I object to doctrinally, i'm just not sure this is the best tool for studying the Bible. Even for someone who isn't familiar with the Bible.

Maybe and new Christian would be better off reading the Bible from cover to cover.
on April 21, 2013
Having grown up with great reading difficulties, I love this book. I am able to read the "story" from creation on and form a picture in my understanding of how it all comes together. For those of us who are not the sharpest tool in the drawer, it's a wonderful way to understand the simple facts. Thank you to the writer!
on June 3, 2012
My church (about 30 adults) started this program about 5 weeks ago. So far all the teachers think it is going very well. The "helps" are great and the young children are very involved. The concept of having all the different age groups hearing/studying the same materiel sure seems to be working. The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People
on November 19, 2014
This is a great companion book to the main book and video. This book makes you think seriously about what you just read and heard by asking questions concerning each chapter. Our pastors are preaching on it each Sunday, in Bible Study we discuss each chapter and talk about it. It is such a great way to get to know and understand the Holy Bible even better and by that bringing us closer to our God!
on April 23, 2015
Doing the bible study got this book so i could follow along. I have a permanent BTI and by being able to read and listen to the questions it helps me from asking the leader to continually repeat and explain it to me. Love the questions asked in this curriculum!!!!