4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Jacob and Joseph, TVM
Published on April 25, 2000 by Leonard J. Gleeson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price for a double feature!
I ordered this for my husband for last Christmas, and was not disappointed!
Might be good for a younger viewing audience.
Published 3 months ago by Virginia Dockery

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Jacob and Joseph, TVM, April 25, 2000
This is a very good, albeit rather basic account of the Biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph. It gives a fine account of the two Patriachs, in one part each, with very little poetic licence or interpretation. It was shot on location in the Middle East, and many of the actors speak with a very distinct accent on their English, which adds enormously to the film's sense of 'long ago and far away'. This is especially true of Laban and Pharoh. The only critisism is that the second part-Joseph- probably deserved a little longer running time and budget, with the sets and costumes not quite up to the true spectacle of ancient Egypt. But overall this production is a very worthy portrayal of the events.

4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive retelling of the Stories of Jacob and Joseph!, June 9, 2008
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
This lavish Biblical drama of 1974 has been produced in two parts. The First part tells the story of Jacob fleeing his tribe when he cheats his brother out of his birthright, gets cheated himself in his exile years while learning of the need to make amends. The second part is of the story of Jacob's favourite son, Joseph. Betrayed and sold into slavery by his brothers, he meets and overcomes all adversity to become the Prime Minister of Egypt, second only to the Pharoah.

This is one of the better Bible story dramatizations ever adapted to the silver screen which complement John Huston's 1966 monumental "The Bible ... In the Beginning" very well. The acting is much better than any typical Biblical movie. The characters speak and act like real people, not cardboard cutouts. The writing tells the stories faithfully, without unnecessary additions, yet in a refreshing way that even after over three decades is enjoyable to watch. All in all, a Bible Movie worth watching by every christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leg-puller struggles with God; son sold into slavery in Egypt, December 4, 2008
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
This film begins in Genesis, when Rebecca gives birth to Jacob and Esau. It ends with Jacob going to Egypt to see his lost son Joseph. As the other reviewers have indicated, this is a "bare-bones" account of the lives of Jacob and his son Joseph. For example, it is written, Laban pursues Jacob after the latter leaves for Canaan, but not in this film. But what the film does portray, it does rather faithfully. Now, not everything in the film is straight from scripture. However if you're not a "purist" that will not be a problem. (I myself don't mind so long as scripture is not contradicted.)

Hence, this film is much in the style and flavor of the film "Jesus" which I love. In fact, it looks like the two films were made in the same location in parts. For example, the desert backdrop where Jacob is reunited with his brother Esau looks much like the scenery where Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days in the "Jesus" film.

The acting is in this film is very good. I thought that the portrayals of Jacob and Joseph were convincing. Esau also. Although I thought Rachel was a little silly.

I was surprised when the two brothers were reunited that Esau still wanted to kill Jacob. I always got the impression in scripture that Esau already forgave Jacob. But I suppose it's possible he held a grudge.

I especially enjoyed the second half of the movie, which was about Joseph, who was sold by his brothers into Egypt. This Joseph I liked much better than what I've seen in other films. This Joseph is upright, great work ethic, a man after God's own heart. Exactly the way scripture says. The only disappointment was, I thought the film ended too soon. I would have liked to have seen the reunion of Jacob and Joseph.

Contrary to what one other reviewer has written, I thought the Egyptian props and scenery was quite good. I've been to the Egyptian museum so I have some idea of what it should look like. One peculiarity however was the caravan scene by the pyramids. The way the pyramids look now, is not how they looked then.

Since buying this film a month ago, I've watched it 3 or 4 times. I plan to watch it again. I can't say that about many other films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, December 4, 2009
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
We enjoyed this Biblical movie from the Old Testament book of Genesis on DVD at our house, and actually it is two entirely different stories on one disc. The first is the story of Jacob and Esau, the twin sons of Rebekah and Isaac, son of Abraham. The Firstborn son Esau the hunter gives away his birthright for a minor gain to Jacob the peaceful shepherd, and then when he regrets it, it is too late. In his wrath he determines to kill Jacob, who must flee. In twenty years Jacob is determined to return home, knowing his life is in jeopardy from Esau.

In the second story, Jacob is old now and has 12 sons, his favorite being Joseph. But his brothers are jealous of the favor shown him, and plot to get rid of him. After throwing him in a well, they sell him as a slave to a caravan. He is them sold in Egypt, and through the same talents that endear him to his father, he rises from slavery and becomes a valuable administrator to the Egyptians.

Made in 1974, it is obviously dated in some respects, but we knew that when we bought it. The story flowed well, and there are obvious areas the story is changed from scripture, but that is the case in all biblical movies, or any movie from a book for that matter. Nothing is changed that offended me, and it was done to keep the story moving it seems. The costumes and settings were enjoyable, the actors very capable and realistic.
Aspect ratio of 1.33:1 Full Screen, and the DVD picture and sound were clean, appeared remastered. No problems with DVD skipping or freezing. No extras. I recommend to any biblical movie collector like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Fun To Watch, But Strays From The Scriptural Version, April 4, 2010
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
I wonder if they really did a serious reading of the scriptures before they made this one. I enjoyed watching it, but it really strayed from the original.

In this presentation they make Rachel out to be some kind of a mad woman. I never saw her as a 'wild animal' as she is described by Laban in this movie. I thought for a moment I was watching Shakespeare's 'Taming Of The Shrew' by mistake! She would be perfect in that role without changing a thing. She was silly, not at ALL modest, and didn't appear to be of normal intelligence. Later, of course, she becomes clever and shrewd.

I'm not really complaining. I'm just amused by it. I don't know WHAT they were thinking!

In fact, Laban's whole family is portrayed as wild and crazy, not at all dignified or respectable. They took extreme liberties with that part of the story. I've got to go back and read that story again in the scriptures. They portray the whole group a little more crudely than I have understood them to be.

What's the deal with the strange dancing in the wedding ceremony? It looks more like a portrayal of Sodom and Gomorrah!

Even with all of the inaccuracies, it's an enjoyable movie. Lots of screaming and crude, vulgar behavior, dancing that I don't think happened that way, a little too Hollywood.

If you don't take it as entirely accurate, the main story is there and if it makes you go back to review the scriptures again, it's worth it. Who knows?! Maybe some of it is more accurate than the more refined way I've always pictured it.

In Part II, the Joseph segment, the dream segment was wrong. The scriptures say that the Phararoh insisted that someone not only interpret his dream, but tell him what the dream was! The part where Joseph's brothers returned was also shortened creatively. In fact, the rest of the story was dramatically cut. Maybe it was necessary because of time limitations.

This is not an accurate portrayal of the Biblical story, but I enjoyed it anyway. It could have been worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL MOVIE, June 17, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
IT TRULY IS A WONDERFUL MOVIE. IT IS VERY EDUCATING ABOUT THE BIBLE. I ENJOYED ALL THE DIFFERENT STORY'S IN THE FILM. THANKS AND SHALOM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie., May 5, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
This is a wonderful Christian movie with great action and acting. It is a must have for your video library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price for a double feature!, April 9, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
I ordered this for my husband for last Christmas, and was not disappointed!
Might be good for a younger viewing audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, March 25, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Jacob and Joseph (DVD)
This is one of the best movie telling the story of Jacob and Joseph. Easy to watch and read the bible altogether. I recommand the movie to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video, March 24, 2014
This is my second time owning this video. I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. I was overjoyed when I discovered I could get it again. I recommend it to anyone interested in Bible History. I imagine it is as close to the real thing, how it actually happened as you can get.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Story of Jacob and Joseph
The Story of Jacob and Joseph by Mihalis Kakogiannis (DVD - 2001)
$14.99 $8.39