Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 26, 2000
The author profiles the life of Mary Fields, a freed slave who,as the first African American woman letter carrier, delivered theU.S. mail via stagecoach between Cascade, Montana, and St. Peter's Mission in the late 1800s. Although Miller cites no sources and relates this tale in a style more suited to folklore than to biography, he does present a picture of a strong, independent woman who never allowed others to take advantage of her. Hanna's lively colored pencil drawings bring the cigar-chomping, gun-slinging heroine to life and include many details of the Montana frontier. A useful addition to units on African Americans and U.S. history, or, pair it with Geis' The First Ride , another perspective on pioneer mail delivery. Kay Weisman --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
on March 24, 2012
This is a fun book to read with kids about a non-traditional pioneer. I never knew about Mary Fields until I found this book. The author uses lively language, but sometimes I can't tell if it's truth or tall tale. Outstanding illustrations that capture the "energy" of this character. A good read!
on April 20, 2015
I am a descendant of this lady and I am glad to get some of my history. I am impressed of the condition of the book and it will be added to my family history.
on April 29, 2015
Fantastic tale of survival and endurance.
on February 5, 2015
Great Stories, all Americans should know.
on May 1, 2016
This book was quite interesting.
on March 7, 2015
I did not get the book The story of Stagecoach Mary Fields [stories of the forgotten west] I got some childrens book called Stagecoach Mary. I did not want to be bothered with returning etc. I was looking for something a little more historical. I was doing some research and thought this book would be of assistance...