4.0 out of 5 stars Great replica, poor durability
Published on June 12, 2008 by K. Cromwell

2.0 out of 5 stars BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!
I am disappointed with this Woody Doll! The doll is O.K. Nothing great about it. Quality is O.K. It doesn't have the original voice, TOM HANKS. Sellers should have specified that it is NOT TOM HANK's voice. Oh well, learn my lesson. Won't buy this specific doll again, if I have seen it from a store for sure.
The doll's information (just in case you are...
Published on October 10, 2007 by Mimi B

4.0 out of 5 stars Great replica, poor durability, June 12, 2008
K. Cromwell (St. Charles, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story Pull String Woody 16" Talking Figure - Disney Exclusive (Toy)
Let me start off by saying that my 2 1/2 year old son is completely in love with Toy Story and Toy Story 2. He would watch these movies several times per day if I allowed him to do so. His favorite characters are Woody and Buzz and I could not wait to order this item for him. This item was not ordered from AMAZON.com but I did purchase this new in the box from another retailer and wanted to offer my review.

After doing some research on what version of the Woody doll I should purchase I decided on this one. When he arrived at our house I allowed my son to open the packaging. He was absolutely FLOORED that Woody was now in the house! Woody looks almost identical to his Disney Pixar counterpart. He is 16" tall, has all the correct clothing, and is constructed to move and bend in the same places as you would expect after watching the movie. Woody does come with a hard plastic hat that does not stay on his head very well unless we place it on backwards and press it firmly to his dome. Not a big deal.

After getting Woody out of the box my son immediately turned him around to pull his string. Once the string was pulled and Woody spoke for the first time my son looked extremely puzzled. I'm sure he was expecting Tom Hanks to be speaking from this Woody doll and he was suprised to hear a voice that sounds NOTHING like Tom Hanks (I have heard that it is the voice of Tom Hanks brother). I was aware that Tom Hanks' voice was not present in this doll but I was hoping that they could have hired a person to record a voice that would sound somewhat similar. I was also surpirsed that my 2 1/2 year old would be able to identify the difference of the voices with all of his excitement.

Here comes THE BIG WARNING...Woody's pull-string was not very durable on this particular doll. After my son pulled it for the third time the plastic ring separated from the string upon the retraction into the doll. This means that the string was pulled to activate the voice sequence and was then released from his hand so that it could snap back into place flush with Woody's back. When the ring snapped back into place the string separated from the ring after connecting with Woody's back and disapeared into the little black hole of no return! I could not believe it! I would highly recommend finding a method to stabalize the pull-cord to the ring either by cutting it and re-knotting it or by another method before your little one starts playing with it. This will save you much time and disapointment. I even went as far as digging into the back of Woody (days after my son continued to play with Woody) to find the string and reconnect it to the ring. I was successful with the reconnection (not the easiest thing to do by the way) but his voice no longer activates when the string is pulled. So everytime my son pulls this cord I have to do my best Tom Hanks/Woody impression of saying "You're my favorite deputy," "Reach for the sky," or "Someone poisoned the water-hole." I think he enjoys it because I can make myself sound more like Woody than Woody did for the three times his string was pulled and he actually spoke.

I would have rated this toy a 5/5 if it weren't for the flimsy pull-string and ring that broke on the third pull. Although his hat does not stay on and he doesn't speak on his own, Woody is still a great toy for your little one if they are really into the Toy Story movies. My son loves him and his Buzz and continues to play with them every day.

2.0 out of 5 stars BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!, October 10, 2007
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
The doll's information (just in case you are interested):
Toy Story & Beyond 16" Pull String Woody Doll by Disney Store (Disney/Pixar); #44196 (B6 486775700114 11).

4.0 out of 5 stars A great original Woody, February 16, 2010
gosvaz (Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
Exactly as the one on Toy Story. People in other reviews complaint about durability of the string on the back, but my 4 year old cousin plays a lot with his Woody, and is working as it should be 4 months later. As far, is a great toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the voice obsession?, May 14, 2012
Wow, a lot of people seem really upset by the voice on this Woody doll. I bought it for my 2 1/2 year old son and he adores the doll and doesn't notice anything wrong with the voice. It's true it doesn't sound exactly like Tom Hanks, but if you listen to the movie closely neither does the real Woodys pull-string voice! Woody is supposed to be an old toy from the 1950s, and his voice on his old TV show and pull-string do sound old-fashioned and different in the movie too. This doll is so accurate to the film in every way, that I don't think they skimped on the voice. Another thing that is maybe too accurate to the film...? How easily his hat comes off! Your toy will be losing his hat as often as Woody does in the movie if you don't take precautions. I put a square of industrial Velcro on his head and inside his hat and this does the trick! Another hint? Just put a square of the rough side of industrial Velcro inside Jessie's hat, and her yarn hair will act like the soft side of Velcro and keep her hat on too. The Buzz, Jessie, and Woody toy are all wonderful and my son drags them everywhere. So far they have held up just fine and will be his favorites for a long time I think. Buy them and be prepared to have these toys eclipse all others in the toy box as your kid's new faves!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad little boy!!, December 26, 2010
It is the day after Christmas, and my four year old is already crying!!! He pulled Woody's string this morning and he won't talk!!! My son is so sad!! He did NOT overpull him yesterday, but today, nothing when you pull his string! IF there was an option for NO STARS, that is what I would rate him!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great toy for a Toy Story fan, June 21, 2012
Heather Sullivan (Somerville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was worried about the quality of this Woody doll when I read the reviews, but decided to take a chance because my 4 year old is currently obsessed with Toy Story. I was pleasantly surprised when Woody arrived. The level of detail is fantastic and he really looks and moves just like Woody in the movie. His clothes and face seem like a perfect match to me. His hat does fall off easily - but hey, it does that in the movie too.

I disagree with others who complain about the voice, I think Woody sounds just fine. "There's a snake in my boot!" makes me laugh every time, and I'm not even 4 :)

Most importantly though, my son is in love with this toy. Woody has "ANDY" written on one boot, just like in the movie ... the first thing my son wanted to do was write his own name on the other boot.

I would buy this again and recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson likes and a has been durable!, January 31, 2008
My grandson has had this doll for some months and it is withdstanding his use (abuse?) quite well, no problems. Voice works well, no problems!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hat was missing!!, December 12, 2013
Im am really unhappy with my order since it did not come with the hat. I tried to message Amazon about it and the best thing they could do is give me a $10 refund. I paid for.the full woody doll and wanted it to come as it said it would. just disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woody is great, February 6, 2010
I bought Woody to go with a tv and dvd for my grandson- he loved it!This is an exact replica of the character and very high quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4YO loves it!, December 30, 2011
I almost didn't get the talking Woody because people complained about the wrong voice and the disappearing hat. Well I'm glad I listened to my 4YO daughter's wishes and not everyone here because she loves it! The voice is not Tom Hanks and we know that, but he's a good stand-in. He sounds pretty good! Yes the hat comes off and I thought about hot gluing it on. But for now we are just going to keep an eye on the hat...and if she loses it, big fat deal. I don't think her heart will break. He looks just like the Woody in the movie and my daughter even talks to him like Andy did. She even swings him around by his hands! Overall, this was a great product and I'm glad I got it. Just keep an eye on the price - I have seen it vary $10-15.

Rate and Discover Movies