Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Price:$50.28+ $9.15 shipping

on January 14, 2012
I've been building cedar wood duck boxes for my own land management and conservation purposes for 20 years. It's become almost impossible to buy quality cedar at one of the big box stores. I set out to build ten of them, using Ducks Unlimited specs this year, and buying all material at Lowes or Home Depot. In the end, the best I could find was warped, knotty, three-quarter inch cedar and for ten wood duck boxes the total cost broke down to $90 per box. So I then started buying, one-by-one, all the different cedar boxes available on the market, to see if I could find a more efficient way to get them. This Stovall box is by far the best and comes at a great price, particularly with free shipping. It's built of true, one-inch thick cedar. It's built to the recommended Ducks Unlimited and Audubon Society dimensions. The hardware is of high quality and durability. The side clean out hatch is built perfectly with enough depth to ensure eggs would never fall out, but enough opening capacity to ensure easy clean out. Even the hardware cloth ramp inside is cut so that sharps are not a risk to injure ducklings. The double-thick opening is perfect to give hens enough support going in and out of the box and also makes for a good launching platform for the ducklings. In short, this is the perfect design for long-lasting, regular use. I will be buying many more!
on April 20, 2011
This is by far the best design for a wood duck nesting box. Features include strap for mounting directly on a 4x4 post and a side access to the nest for cleaning. Both these features make mounting and cleaning very easy. In my view the Stovall design is superior to other designs. Other boxes have nest access from the front but if you mount the box near a lake or pond, or on the edge of a pond or lake, you have to stand between the box and the lake or pond to access the nest. I mounted these on top of an 8' 4x4 with 18" hole to maximize the height above ground but to do that you need a flange accessory to mount the box on top of the 4x4. Once mounted the box has maximum height to attach a baffel but you need a ladder to reach the front of the box which adds complexity particularly if the soil in front of the box is wet or lakeside. With the Stovall, I mounted it on a 4x4 using the strap. Again with the 4x4 post mounted in an 18" hole. This does not maximize the hight of the 8' 4x4 above ground but leaves plenty of room for a baffel and with a side access you don't need a ladder. After I deployed the Stovall I had several hens vying over which one would use it. I have 4 other wood duck boxes but they are not Stovall designs and for reasons above are not easy to access for cleaning.

on December 4, 2014
Have two of them installed in the pond waiting for the ducks to arrive early spring. Not sure what I was thinking but when they arrived, I thought "wow, these are big!". My brother-in-law attached them to a plate connected to an 8 ft pipe. He also welded the bafflers to the pipe. The pipe was connected to an old wheel that had a tire on it. He then filled the tire with concrete and after curing, he rolled them into the pond. Thankful that he did all of this or else they would probably still be in the box.
review image
on July 9, 2015
We live on a lake and a few years ago I ordered two of these wood duck boxes. I mounted them on a 4x4 post in the water, yet in easy view for us to observe the activity of nesting. Year after year both houses are kept busy in the spring and many ducks have been hatched in both houses. This year I witnessed for the first time, the baby ducklings first adventure out of the house. It really happens so fast, that unless you are lucky enough to watching at the moment the mother pushes them out of nest and into the water...you will miss it. However, the ducklings and mother stay around the area for a day or so and you will often see them before they venture off.

If you follow the instructions, you can't go wrong and will have a cool event happen every year, usually, for us anyway, twice a year in each house. The houses weather naturally, but have held up well.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2011
I'm amazed at the quality of these wood duck boxes! I can't believe these cost $50! They look like something handmade that you'd pay $100 for. I don't have them hung yet but I can tell these things (I bought 2) are going to outlast me. WOW!
on January 7, 2013
I was so impressed with the first box I ordered that I ordered another one for a christmas present for my brother in law. When he pulled it put of the box it fell apart, the top and one side were not attached. Whoever set the screws missed, they just barely caught the wood, just enough to splinter it. An easy fix if you work with wood but one that should not have had to be done. Quality control missed this one. Over all I still like this box, when you consider the price of the materials and the time you would spend looking for good cedar and putting it together this box is a winner, especially if shipping is free. I also like the two bags of shavings sent with it. Even with the repair that needed to be done I couldn't beat the price and the box is up and awaiting it's new owners.
on March 30, 2013
This nest box is incredibly well made. The material is topnotch and the design is just what I was looking for. I could not make a box like this for the same amount of money. Now if the wood ducks will just find it.....
on February 27, 2010
Quality made heavy duty cedar. Great design with easy cleanout. Will last for years.I could not have bought the material for this cost.
on March 10, 2015
Well designed and constructed of cedar for longevity, easy to install and clean, I did coat the nest box with a penetrating sealant for added preservation I will compare these nests with existing Cypress boxes.
on December 22, 2013
I hung this on a tree by the pond a few weeks ago (in the late fall) and I can tell it will work just great because of the solid cedar construction and smart design. I particularly like the side clean out door, which should make yearly maintenance easy. The shape and reinforcement of the entry hole appears to be quite duck-friendly, but that is up for the ducks to evaluate.