on August 7, 2012
When I first got this phone 8 months ago for Christmas I was so excited because it was the first touch screen phone that I had. One time I got stuck in a snow storm and because everyone of course in the area was on their phones, my phone started to turn on and off constantly. This month this is what it has been doing: the screen moves around and touches things that I don't even touch(aka becomes possessed), the touch screen doesn't even want to work it constantly just not works and even when I restart the phone 5 times it still doesn't work so I can't go on websites or even my facebook application, and I will be sitting in my house then randomly I lose signal even when I don't move from one spot.
on November 13, 2011
I first had the Samsung 528...AKA crap. I would recomend this phone to anyone, especially because it's on Straight Talk. This thing has actually changed my life, with the King James Bible app, I can finally keep up in church!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2012
My husband and I were with T-mobile for four years, and he always got the phones that came free with a renewal a.k.a. crappy plastic crap. Well, we decided to try straight talk, since we kept losing signal everywhere we went. I told him if we go to straight talk, we're getting the phones closest to what we want. So, we chose this phone. It's definitely an upgrade from a non-smart phone. I had a samsung behold 2 before my lg optimus q, and they're are obvious improvements. That doesn't mean this phone is flawless, but it's definitely worth the money you put into it. When looking into this phone, i noticed everyone kept griping and complaining about the camera. No, it's not the best, in fact not as good as my samsung was, but it's not even close to what i would consider bad. I've had many crappy phones when i was stupid and in college, and the cameras on those phones don't even hold a camera to this phone. Now, granted I didn't dish out almost $200 on those phones, but if you want a really good camera, then buy a really good camera, not a phone. The touch screen is very responsive, but it does tend to freeze sometimes, and the best thing to do when this happens is to just let it alone. Playing with it more will only freeze it up more. I've found it really only freezes on you when you're impatient with it, which i admit i'm impatient. For, example if you click on an app, and it doesn't respond right away, don't click on it again immediately after, it will freeze. There are plenty of apps in appstore to choose from. And a lot of them are free, which definitely sets androids apart from iphones.

I highly recommend the i heart radio app. You can customize your own radio stations. Slacker radio app also does this, if you're a guy who does what a big heart icon on their screen. The papi games are a lot of fun. Netflix is okay, it runs a little slow, but i wasn't expecting this phone to be incredible at streaming movies.

Overall, it's a really good phone. Just don't buy it and think it'll be an iphone.
on December 3, 2012
Buy this phone if you take a 30 second break between every function in using your phone. I bought this phone 3 months ago as my first "smartphone" and an upgrade from my previous flip phone. Now that I can use it quicker than when I bought it I usually have to wait for it to finish loading and often receive messages apologizing and asking if I want to force the close or wait. I don't want you to apologize, I want you to function correctly. That is why I paid $200. Yes, it makes calls. Yes, it will send a text (eventually). Yes, it has a camera (don't expect a good picture unless it is perfect weather outside). But if you bought a morse code machine and an ancient polaroid camera they would be faster and more worthy investments.
on January 23, 2013
#1 I bought this phone from Straight Talk's website for $129.99 with free shipping and Walmart has it online for $129.88 with $3 shipping.
#2 The Bad: If you haven't already heard, this phone has two major issues: battery life and it is sluggish. I considered returning it every day for the first two weeks that I had it. In the end, I just decided to use it as little as possible and deal with the slowness. - There are double-size batteries available online for under $20, which I will probably buy. I have to charge it every day, just for talking/texting - no GPS, no wifi, no web-surfing.
- One example of the slowness - I end a phone call and it sort-of freezes for several seconds before the phone can do the next thing, like go to the home screen.
- It is preset with a lot of annoying Google crap that requires an account.
#3 The Good: I decided to keep it because I loved the video recordings. I need to be able to record lectures and I tried several videocams that were either not as good sound quality or turned off after 30 minutes. This will record for hours and uploads easily to my computer. (Since I am already plugging it in to charge it anyway - lol.)
#4 The Great: I really enjoy having a full slide-out qwerty and a full touch screen. My phone looks just like everyone else's until I pull out the "secret compartment" - and type easily. Then they all get jealous.
#5 The Annoying Mystery: The Home screen text size is small. All searches for font size adjustment have been dead-ends.)
on March 10, 2012
I just recently bought this phone from Walmart. I've had the Straight Talk service for awhile now ( best prepaid service out there) and I always buy the unlimited plan because the $30 isn't enough text/talk for me, but the web was wasted due to my phone. Well I'm just in love with this one! It's fast, the battery life is great, it's easy to text, and it have great coverage in my area. i would 100% recommend this phone.

The one downside is that the manual provided is not very detailed, so I find myself having questions and nothing to reference. For example, when typing with the physical keyboard, the apparent fn key, which allows one to type the numbers, is only good for one type, and then it goes back to letters until you punch it again. This seems extremely silly, but i can't seem to find the way to keep it in number/symbol mode until i wish to go back.

Anyway, for sure a good buy if you either already are on Straight Talk, or are thinking of switching. If you're going to get the unlimited plan anyway for the texting/calling, you might as well get a phone that is web-enabled, so you're not wasting the money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
I bought this phone mostly for the slideout key bored. At first the phone was working great. Then i got to my house a little out of the city. Then I saw that i was not getting good service. But for the price i kept using it. The service didnt get any better. Then i found out this phone went off of sprint towers. The memory was not good on this phone either i was always deleting messages just to make room for new messages to come in. The web took a long time to load and it wouldnt load all the way. If you buy this phone make sure it will work in yir area.
on October 21, 2012
I have had this phone for about a week now and let me say that I love it. Also, this price is insane. I got mine for $179 at Wal-Mart so this price is stupid for this phone when you can get it cheaper. But I love this phone. The slide out keyboard is awesome, I don't use the touch screen keyboard to often, but when I've used it, it's been really awesome. No real big complaints about this phone. The only one I can think of is they don't make an Otterbox for it. However, they make a protective case for it that is alright, but it's no Otterbox. But a great phone. Seriously worth the buy.
on October 19, 2012
I purchased this phone after contemplating the Precedent. I have had no major issues other than the original phone i bought had a defect in the metal piece inside charging port. And when i had to get replaced there was issues getting the new one activated. But i am 100% glad that i have this phone. Ive had this one for about a year and its great. I love the apps, the games, and the music, it has almost anything you can possibly want for entertainment and communication. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars only because there are few times where it will just shutdown and restart on its own for no reason, but i work with cell phones daily and have had alot of people say their phones from different carriers do the same...nothing can be perfect i guess.
on June 17, 2014
I had an HTC Evo on the Virgin Mobile network. Nice phone, but in order to keep expenses down, had to go with the "unlimited data" but only 300 minutes for around $50/mo. Unlimited data was a compete joke. Doesn't take long to go over the limit before they start throttling you so you can't even open a webpage. I even paid the extra $15 for the increased data and I STILL wound up getting throttled. What a waste of money. It is criminal for these providers to say they are offering unlimited when, in fact, they are not. The touchscreen was very sensitive, despite trying to set it. This drove me nuts - so I wanted my old QWERTY slider keyboard back. I relocated so wanted a local number - it was time for a new phone! I paid a small fortune for the HTC - $300 is a lot for me to pay for a phone.

Looked into the Straight Talk service and found a great deal on the LG Optimus Q - only about $45 off the Smart Talk site. Had it for 3 months now and like it a lot. Gets good reception in the Austin, TX area - even inside office buildings. However, it has been a bit lacking in terms of apps and storage, etc. An SD card could possibly correct this. Here is the good, bad and ugly:

GOOD:
Straight Talk phone service has been reliable - I think it is off the Sprint network. Data is fine.
The phone is sturdy.
Speed is okay but will never compare to the "real" smartphones.
Easy set up for phone service.
Navigation extremely logical.
Slide-out QWERTY keyboard is great, however, touchscreen is easier to use and less finicky than the HTC Evo for me.
Battery life is much better than HTC Evo - which only got a few hours, even with minimal use.
Camera is decent. A few people have said theirs is bad, but I have not found this to be the case. Night pictures, however, are not that great.
Google search features work well.

BAD:
Only has 215 MB of usable memory. This means VERY limited app use. This does not bother me because all I really want is Google navigation and my free Kindle reader to read books in the cloud. I don't download books - takes up too much room.
4GB mini SD card does not store all apps.
Frequent freezes when memory is overloaded means taking the back off the phone or taking out the battery.
Wireless was wanky at first, but as soon as I disconnected it from the network and then re-connected it was find.

UGLY:
Can hardly have even text messages stored. Must delete them regularly or the phone will completely lock up. Then you practically have to do a reset to get out of the situation because all you get are error messages. You can't delete the extra messages because the phone program will not even open up!
YouTube videos play well - but anything sent in a text message is iffy and tends to lock up the phone.

VERDICT:
My type of usage does not require a lot of apps or bells and whistles. The plan price is unbeatable; to get unlimited everything for under $50 a month is great. No complaints. For the small amount I paid (and the Straight Talk plan), this phone is great and quite cost effective. Anyone who wants a very basic smartphone and plan should do well with this one.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations