5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook -- great recipes (that are vegan too!)
Published 10 months ago by Nina108

3.0 out of 5 stars The recipes are good, and I appreciate the use of ingredients available ...
The recipes are good , and I appreciate the use of ingredients available locally and in season. However, the typeface is way too small; I find myself having to use a magnifying glass to discern 1/4 from 1/2, oven temperatures, etc. And the typeface for the table of contents is WAY too small as well as being too faint. If there is a second edition, please make the type...
Published 5 months ago by cheryl Joseph

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook -- great recipes (that are vegan too!), March 4, 2014
This review is from: Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone (Paperback)
I am not a vegan, but I have been trying to reduce my meat consumption to improve my health and the health of the environment. Several friends suggested I purchase one of Myra Goodman's cookbooks, as her recipes are wonderful and not too difficult. I decided to take a chance and order this one that she wrote with her daughter, as there is no meat and dairy in any of the recipes. I am glad I did!

After testing out the cookbook I have to say I don't miss the animal products because the food tastes delicious. The cookbook itself is lovely in my hands and there is page after page of color photos. The meals are welcoming.

This cookbook has many delicious recipes, and I will tell you my favorites so far: The Thai Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce is great. I have shared this recipe with my friends who loved it too.

For breakfast I recommend the Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes and the Quinoa Banana Skillet Cakes--Yum!! As a hearty meal I enjoyed the Seared Polenta with Spicy Heirloom Tomato Sauce; and the Four Bean & Sweet Potato Chili with Skillet Corn Bread. For dessert I loved the Coconut Almond & Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies, and the Very Chocolaty Chocolate Brownies. These vegan desserts are very tasty (I don't miss the dairy at all)!

Glad to have found Straight From the Earth. I am happy and inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!!, March 9, 2014
Let me start off by saying I am not a vegan, and up until recently, I was about the farthest thing from it. I've never considered myself to be anything close to a "health-nut," but when my wife and I learned that vegan food has NO cholesterol at all, she was quick to buy this book to give it a try (despite my high cholesterol, I've never been able to resist the fatty foods and snacks). I was hesitant at first, but when my wife first made the Plantain tacos with black beans and mango salsa, I quickly changed my tune. I never knew how satisfying plant-based recipes could be, and I found myself not even missing the meat that my meals were usually based around. Since then, I've been hooked. I'm not much of a cook, but that's doesn't stop me from trying. Each new recipe I try from this book makes me more and more excited to try a new one (plus my wife doesn't mind me taking over the kitchen to cook meals for the two of us most nights). While I still indulge in my former carnivorous behavior during the day, my dinners have become predominantly plant-based, all thanks to this book. I never knew that vegan food could be so delicious and simple to make at the same time! Even though my cholesterol is back on track, I find myself utilizing this book nonetheless. I have even started trying out my own plant-based dishes inspired by recipes from this book. I could not be more thankful for this book, it has gotten me to eat healthy without making any sacrifices. I wish I could give it 6 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for delicious, plant based meals...!, March 5, 2014
This book is awesome!!!

While I am an omnivore, I try to eat more plant based and organic foods whenever possible. In the past, I have sometimes struggled to enjoy some of the vegan food that I have eaten.

This book changes that equation. The recipes are delicious and satisfying for omnivores and vegans alike.

From the Polenta with Heirloom Tomato Sauce and the Eccentric Caesar salad, to the incredible Chocolate Brownies (seriously, you have to try these!!!), this book contains a wealth of recipes that will have carnivores and vegans celebrating at the table together.

Thanks Myra and Marea. I now have the tools to add more plant based food to my diet, so I can eat healthier and BE healthier

5.0 out of 5 stars you want this book!, March 4, 2014
This isn't about vegan...its about GOOD FOOD! You want to do the recipes and eat the food. Myra an Marea Goodman have given us a gift! I highly recommend this book. I am not a vegan and feel great eating this enjoyable food!

Kathy

5.0 out of 5 stars really wonderful, March 22, 2014
ez1 (Berkeley, California) - See all my reviews
I bought Straight from the Earth at the Earthbound Farmstand in Carmel Valley, California. Having tried more than a few of the recipes, I can honestly say that this is now one of my favorite cookbooks. The book itself is soft cover and easy to keep open on whatever page you need. The photographs are fabulous. And best of all, the recipes are really really good. They are creative, healthy, uncomplicated, easy to follow, and use ingredients that are readily available. I made the baked sweet potato fries and crispy kale chips for my finicky grandchildren, and they were gone in an instant. That says a lot! I love the three color hummus, the seared polenta and spicy tomato sauce and the lentil potato curry. Last night, the pasta puttanesca was a huge hit for dinner. Of all the great recipes, my favorite is the stone fruit crumble. I could eat it every day! So delicious! I like this cookbook so much that as soon as I finish writing this review, I will be purchasing several more as gifts for friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love this cookbook, March 12, 2014
I am a big fan of all of Myra Goodman's cookbooks. They are staples in my kitchen. I especially love that she wrote this with her daughter, Marea. While I am not vegan, I am always on the lookout for great healthy recipes.This cookbook really delivers. Every recipe is delicious and adds depth to any meal. Some favorites: Thai Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce. Sweet Summer Corn Soup. Summer Pesto Pizza. And of course- Very Chocolaty Chocolate Brownies.I am also a big fan of the Stone Fruit Crumble. I know that I will turn to this cookbook time and again to feed my family healthy and hearty meals.

Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book!, March 12, 2014
I'm a big fan of Myra Goodman's two other cookbooks, but I'm not a vegan and I wasn't sure how I would find her new collection of recipes. To my surprise, I'm really enjoying these vegan dishes! The recipes are easy to follow and they're so delicious! And it's an added treat to have Myra's daughter, Marea bring her equally as flavorful recipes and sweet stories to the table! I'd say this third book is a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good one, May 14, 2014
I really like this cookbook, the recipes are very tasty and they don`t use ingredients like substitute cheese or soya products who look like meat.
Good explained and it is fun to use it. Breakfast, main courses salads and sweets. I didn`t try them all yet but I cooked app. 10 dishes and they all were really tasty

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Recipe So Far Is A Winner, June 24, 2014
Kelly M. (Boone, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is great. My husband and I are not vegan - we are most definitely omnivores - but we've loved every recipe we've tried so far:

Heirloom Lettuce Salad with Fresh Herbs - We loved the herbs with the greens, the radishes added a nice crunch, and the vinaigrette was simple and quick to whip up

Slow Simmered Beans with Tuscan Kale and Bulgur - I made the beans and greens part of this recipe but we had it with cornbread rather than bulgur. The beans were the most flavorful beans I've ever made, an opinion shared by my husband and my parents (and my dad is a true southerner who expects ham in his beans - he never missed it!).

Barley, Quinoa, and Cannellini Bean Loaf - This was time consuming to prepare, but well worth it. I made it ahead, then sliced the cold loaf and browned it in a skillet. The servings were very generous - the recipe says it serves 6 but this easily would serve 8 as it's very filling. My husband and I ate it for dinner two nights in a row and my parents ate it for lunch one day - here again, my meat-loving dad really enjoyed this and that's high praise indeed for meatless "meat"loaf (he is a huge meatloaf fan so the fact that he loved this meatless version is a testament to how flavorful it is). The only caveat I would give here is that if you put gravy on it (the cookbook recommends the mushroom gravy), it gets a bit mushy. I prefer it without gravy.

Mushroom Gravy - This is literally the best mushroom gravy I've ever had. I could eat this stuff like soup. So good.

Beet Soup - My husband is not a fan of beets, but even he loved this soup. The spices (including fennel, thyme, and coriander) create a delicious, complex flavor that complements this humble root perfectly. I especially appreciate the fact that the recipe uses the whole beet - leaves and all - and packs a multitude of nutrients into every bite.

(A quick note - I don't have the time or storage space to make my own vegetable stock, so in all these recipes I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Stock Base.)

We can't wait to try more recipes - I think this is the most recipes in the shortest time I've ever tried from one cookbook. After sampling the recipes I've made, my mom has put this on her birthday list so she can get her own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook - period!, July 14, 2014
Mara Lopez (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I love Myra Goodman's other cookbooks, so I was really looking forward to getting this one. The pictures are beautiful and the recipes are very clear. My current favorite is the falafel with greek salad and cashew sauce. So healthy, flavorful and delicious. I made this recipe over the weekend with some loved ones and not only was it amazing to eat, but I so enjoyed the time spent in the kitchen during chopping and preparing.

This cookbook is great for anyone who likes to eat delicious food. The fact that it is a vegan cookbook is a bonus.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone
Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone by Myra Goodman (Paperback - March 4, 2014)
$27.50 $19.89