on July 2, 2013
This phone is the best straight talk phone (in the less than $400 price range) on the market. It has a great size screen, android 4.0 operating system, and a good design (no cheap plastic look/feel). One of my favorite things about the phone is they seem to have everything geared towards google instead of bing (score)!!! It runs on Verizon towers so I have great service everywhere I go. It has a 5mp camera which is good for its price range but unfortunately it does not have a flash. I recently switched from Verizon to straight talk to save money and let me tell you, this baby blows my laggy lg revolution out of the water when it comes to speed. It opens/closes apps quickly, surfs the web quickly and with no problems, and you dont get the annoying system crashes and errors android is known for. It's nice to have a phone that actually functions as a phone rather than a paperweight. It has very limited memory but if you save your apps to your sd card and get a good task killer (I use "advanced task killer" - you can set it up to automatically kill apps youre not using), it will run smoothly. The battery life is average for a smartphone but it charges pretty fast - it can go from dead to full charge in 2 hours. Another thing I love about this phone is it has a data on/off button conveniently on the pull down menu so it's not a hassle to turn the data off when im not using it (which greatly extends battery life). Overall, this phone is great and a force to be reckoned with even when compared to the most expensive phones on the market. I would recommend it to anyone who has ever wanted to smash their laggy phone against a wall.

Let's recap: Pros Android 4.0 Low price Verizon network Fast/no lag or crashes Runs netflix/hulu smoothly Google search/chrome Data on/off toggle on pull down menu Charges quickly Large screen

Cons No flash on camera Low memory - can be easily fixed by storing apps to sd card (not included) and getting a task killer

And by the way, dont pay $300 for this phone. It is only $150 on walmart.com and straight talk's website.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2013
** Update October 2014 **

Well after about 14 months of use this phone crapped out. It was not dropped, submerged, or otherwise abused. One evening it just decided to quit. The screen started to flicker and stay on, all buttons became unresponsive, it's dead. Pulled and re installed the battery, same thing. Completely unusable.

As time went on I became less and less satisfied with this phone. It developed tremendous lag with many functions. Sometimes I would tap a name in my contact list and it would take 15 seconds or more to bring up the call screen and complete the call. Beyond that, aps would constantly bomb out. It became a very frustrating phone to use. Honestly, I wasn't all that upset when it died, at least I could look forward to something else. I can no longer recommend this phone based on the entire 14 months of use and it's death.

I found a killer deal on a refurbished LG Optimus Showtime and have been using it for a week. So far I love it. It looks and works like new. Time will tell if it ends up being a clunker like the Ascend.

I did some research on the brand, and discovered Huawei is a Chinese brand, and they are the world's 6th biggest manufacturer of cell phones. They have more market share than HTC, Sony, TCL, Blackberry, and Motorola, only slightly less than LG and ZTE, and 1/3 that of Apple. By the way, It's pronounced "WAH-way" and the 881C is a very nice phone. Don't be scared off by a brand you've never heard of. I am thinking most people will hear of them soon in the USA.

This is my 4th ST phone and my second android. My previous android was a low end LG. The experience with this phone is 3X better than the previous. So far it runs every ap smoothly, Runs Youtube videos without a glitch when signal is 2 bars or more (though there may be some buffering at the beginning). This phone runs on Verizon which is much better and faster in the area where I live, rural Michigan. I should have been on Verizon long ago.

The look and feel of this phone are quality. The 4" display is beautiful and it's a good blend; big enough screen yet still small enough to fit in a pocket. It feels thin and sleek and not bulky. While I would not claim this to rival an I-phone it does have that look and feel and a similar experience. Compared to an iphone it's 500% cheaper and almost as good in my opinion. No brainer. For the $$ you will be hard pressed to find a better bang.

Do yourself a favor and buy a micro SD card immediately (well under $10). Then go into "Settings, Storage, Default storage location" and set the SD card as the default storage location for installed aps. This will prevent you from running out of memory quickly by installing too many aps, as there is not much extra internal memory.

The only area I would appreciate a little more performance is with the battery life. The phone has a 1750 mAh battery, which is big. However, battery performance is just average. Not a deal breaker, if you want a fancy phone with the bells and whistles this is the price you pay. Having a charger in the office or car to top it off is nice to have with this phone.

We shall see how this phone does over time. My LG developed lots of bugs and glitches after a while. So far this phone has exceeded expectations. If you want a great Android on ST through Verizon this phone will not dissapoint. I doubt there currently an ST phone that delivers more bang for the buck
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2013
Very happy with this phone, been using it for about a week now and have had no issues with it at all and don't anticipate any. Very pleased with the camera as that is one of my priorities in a phone. The only minor problem was activating it online only because it is so new (just released 2 months ago and just now in Walmart stores). Had to call ST customer service to activate it as the ST website popped up a warning saying it was not compatible in my area even though it uses Verizon towers. The activation went quick and easy and the customer service was very pleasant. Looking for a case and holster for this particular new phone has proven to be very challenging :(
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2014
I realize this review site is for the Net 10 Huawei Ascend, but since I have the same phone from Page Plus I thought I would share my thoughts. I purchased this phone from Page Plus Cellular which uses the Verizon network. So far the phone is very nice. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone on the VirginMobile / Sprint network. The Samsung phone would reset itself constantly and the it damaged my SD card also the Sprint network at my location was terrible. So back to the Huawei Ascend Plus, screen is bright, has a nice rubberized feel. First thing to do which this phone is to install a SD Card! I installed a 32gb micro sd card. Remove back cover and you will see the install location above the battery. Next set the phone to use the SD card for the apps instead of the internal memory) THIS IS A MUST WITH THIS PHONE! due to its low internal memory. Just go to settings, storage and click on default storage location and set it for SD Card. Next I set the phone to connect to my home wi-fi and downloaded 26 of my favorite apps. There is an app called Super tool box 10+. Use it, it will clear your cache, free your memory and do many more things for free. I've used it for years on all my android phones. Now back to the phone. Phone is fast and works perfectly so far! MP3 player sounds great, I use the Poweramp app for music. Videos play well, I use the free MX player for videos. (Set it to use SW codec). The phone only handles 3G data , but on the Verizon network it blows away my old Sprint network. Phone calls are clear and I am now connected in areas I could not get a connection before. This Phone with the Verizon network just works well!

UPDATE: Still using the micro SD card I am up to 34 apps on my 5 screens + the apps that came with the phone that I don't use. I've added 2x battery for power saving (shuts on and off the data at a frequency that you select) I've added super keyboard app (I feel it is a better keyboard than what came with the phone) I added Zedge app which gives many many ringtones to choose and more. Phone Reception monitor that give me a digital read out of the Verizon cell signal. I added Waze which may be the best GPS app out on the android market. Who says this phone doesn't hold much!! And its still fast and working great! Don't forget to open Super tool box and run and erase your cache from time to tome. Love this phone with the Verizon network!

Second UPDATE: I am now well over 40 apps with NO PROBLEMS. My internal memory ram for apps is at 250mb. I am impressed with the battery life! Blows away my old Samsung S11. I bought a 4.2 volt Life Tech battery charger (which is the max voltage for this Huawei Ascend Plus H881c battery) Just remove the back of the phone, and battery, insert the pins of the charger on the + and - of the battery (polarity does not matter the charge will adjust)When the charge stops blinking you are charged. I purchased an extra battery and now I switch them in the morning before going to work. To show how long it lasts, I put the phone on my belt at 4:30am and check emails, listen to my music etc while com-mutating to work at 12:10pm lunch time I am at 98%. Crazy good!

Third Update July 2014:
I have used this phone as a MP3 player using poweramp app (best music app on google playstore) , GPS using Waze, Phone calls, Maps, remote starting of my GM car using the onstar app, cheap gas finder using gas buddy app, screen flash light using flashlight app, company emails and my yahoo and gmail messages, texting, calculators using office calculator app, sports scores using the cbs sports app, wireless bluetooth music to my wireless headphones, internet browser on Verizon 3g and wifi, train tickets using NJ transit mytix app, camera pictures and video taking and saved to gallery, youtube and movie videos using mx player app, banking using various banking apps, weather monitoring with the NOAA weather app, Built in FM radio, games like tetris app, PdaNet for tethering to your laptop, IP Cam Viewer to monitor, view and control my home security cameras (very cool), google playstore to get the best apps. Did I miss anything? All this and not 1 reset !!! Other phones I had would auto shutoff and reset from time to time. Still very pleased with this phone!
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2013
Had this phone for about 6 months now. Great phone at a great price:)Can't beat the screen size and only 149.00!!!
on September 15, 2013
1.0 GHz dual core CPU, 512MB of RAM, 2GB internal storage + (empty) SD card slot, 800x480 screen, Android 4.0.4 are the basic specs on this device. The first thing that jumps out at you is that it's almost bone stock Android ICS, which is good if you don't like the usual assortment of useless bloatware. The only add-on app seems to be the FM tuner, which actually does work.

It's all plastic, but has a good solid feeling and is comfortable in the hand. The screen, while not very high-res or a fancy OLED, has good color and looks reasonably sharp. Performance is generally quite good thanks to ICS and the lack of bloat apps, but it can sometimes get choppy scrolling high-content web pages and a little vague on the touch-screen sensitivity. Reception seems very good, right up with Motorola's I've had in the past. The voice quality is however average, and the speakerphone is quite poor. Battery life is exceptional, a full day of heavy use, a couple days of moderate use, and four or more days of light use. This assumes that you don't load up with apps that constantly drain the battery. The only major, obviously negative is lack of a camera flash (i.e. flashlight).

A major concern of mine was the screen glass / plastic, but it's held up ok after three months. Nothing else has fallen apart or otherwise failed. Other features, like bluetooth pairing for hands-free calling work fine, even with the notoriously fickle Audi system, so I assume it will work with most vehicles. Rooting was easy with SRSRoot, and you can USB tether as well, at your own risk of course. Wi-fi hotspot does not seem to work at all, I assume because it was never a feature this device was designed to have being Straight Talk branded.

If you want an Android ICS device on Verizon with pre-paid, this is your ticket. Verizon has, perhaps intentionally, made it very difficult to get an ICS or higher phone activated on Page Plus without fiddling with a used 4G phone. You can find tax-free 90 day refills for Straight Talk at slightly less than retail on eBay, bringing the price down to almost $40 / month. That less than half of the basic $80 plans with Spring or AT&T (after taxes & fess), and nearly one-third of Verizon post-paid. The only question is whether you can live with 3G speeds, and how well Verizon will maintain their 3G network. I'll sit on the fence with a cheap pre-paid plan until they get serious about pricing and loan shark level subsidies for the cool phones. The Samsung Centura is another option, but this device has far superior hardware and features for only $50 more.
on February 21, 2014
When I first got this phone, I loved it. It has a sleek design for the price, had all the features I wanted, and I got really good reception. I mean, not a lot of storage space or RAM but I made it work for my budget. I've had it for about 4 months and didn't mistreat it. I don't overcharge it or anything like that, the battery was holding a decent charge still too...But then it just kind of stopped working. I noticed that as it was getting around 10% battery life the other day, it started to get really hot but I didn't think too much of it. When I got in the car I put it on the charger but it wasn't gaining any charge, although it said it was plugged in, and the battery would heat up when on the charger. Eventually I took it off to cool down, took the battery out and all that, and put it on the charger a couple hours later and it would heat up and the red light that shows it was charging kind of flickered uncontrollably, but I could never turn it on. I'm really disappointed, because I have no idea what went wrong.
on August 22, 2014
I researched this phone for days, watched videos and read a lot of reviews. I bought one and it was junk. I understand it has little internal memory and you need a memory card and to root the phone and all that stuff. Mine was truly a lemon. Had it no more than an hour and it was maddening. Froze, blank screen, super slow and crashed. I had 2 apps, just facebook and messenger installed. ....neither worked. Who does quality control on these? Mine was junk. I've come to the conclusion you stand a 50/50 shot of getting a good one or a handful of junk. Do yourself a favor and spend another $30 & go with a Samsung Galaxy Ace Style. Works awesome and has a ton of internal memory and a card slot.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2013
I initially liked this phone given the price. The phone quality is ok and it has some nice features. It had some initial drawbacks as well. The camera takes a while to get into focus, and once in focus doesn't stay that way for long. I consider it a cheap phone.

I've come to consider it, in terms of ability to use apps, e-mail, and text,as almost worthless. As others have said, there is not enough RAM memory quickly. There is a lot of bloatware, and many google apps which cannot be moved to an SD card, and constant updates either for those apps, e-mail or others (facebook), that completely clog RAM.

The result is tasks like checking e-mail or using apps become close to impossible. Almost every time you access it, it will say unable to establish connection, insufficient storage available, and you can't respond.

In short, all you can end up using is the phone, camera, and music player, and only on occasions where you have great wifi, some apps and e-mail. I'm not sure which entity deserves more blame, the phone or Google, which clogs the RAM with updates, apps, and bloatware you can't get rid of.

This is just like the Microsoft model in it's heyday. Every computer that rolled out had minimum RAM, causing it to slowdown and crash as time went on and updates and programs got bigger, requiring the consumer to buy a new computer just in time for the rollout of a new Windows version.

I don't know whether to blame the phone, or Google, who makes it impossible to get rid of it's apps or reduce memory taken up by its many programs, or straight talk, which is a bait/switch company that throttles internet access very quickly despite offering "unlimited" access. I just know it's a throwaway phone.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2015
This is my first smartphone and so maybe I don't realize how bad a phone it is, but still it is not so bad as some people are making it out to be. I've been using mine for a year and a half now and it does what I need it to do. It runs the apps I've wanted to run. Browsing the web can oftentimes be slower than I'd like, but frankly I'm still in awe that it can do all that it does for 30 bucks. The voice to text feature generally works well and I'm surprised how few people make use of the feature. I've used it for GPS navigation, although I prefer my dedicated GPS navigation device. I made use of the calendar function and appreciate being able to set several reminders. I've been happy with the quality of my phone service and although there are cheaper services, there are few that use Verizon towers. There are not so many phones available if you want to use Verizon towers on Straight Talk, especially in this price range.

The biggest downside of the phone is that it can be slower than molasses at times. I haven't really compared it against other phones, but it can sometimes take 20 seconds to get out of an app and start up the phone app and get to the point where I can make a phone call. That seems excessive, but I don't make many calls so that it is not really an issue for me. Receiving calls has never been a problem. I find the sound quality is good and the speaker phone works well.

Sometimes the text messaging app won't stay open. Apparently it's not good at managing memory and I sometimes have to run a memory booster app such as Clean Master to get it to run reliably. Usually I don't have to, but when I have problems with the messaging app closing spontaneously I know it's time to run the memory booster. Also once I free up some memory the phone seems to be zippier in general. It would be great if the phone would automatically manage its memory so that this wasn't an issue.

The browser that comes with it is not very reliable. It would frequently close spontaneously and I'd have to restart it and try to get back to the desired web page, often only to have the browser crash again. That can be very frustrating. I found that there are other browsers that are much more reliable. I prefer UC Browser or CM Browser. Google Chrome works well too, but uses a tremendous amount of memory.

For some reason although it comes with 2.7 GB of storage built-in they only make 630 MB of that available for apps. I assume this is just to frustrate people to force them to move to higher end phones so they can install all the apps they want. I was running out of app storage even with moving all the apps that I could to a 32 GB SD card using the built-in function for doing that. In hindsight I should have traded in Google Chrome for a browser that used much less memory. It had gotten so I didn't have enough memory available to install updates for my various apps, especially the updates for Chrome itself. Eventually I rooted my phone and installed Link2SD which allows me to move a lot more app related data to the SD card and thus allows me to install many more apps. Now that I can install all the apps that I want without worrying about running out of memory I am MUCH happier with my phone. Unfortunately the process of rooting the phone and getting Link2SD to work properly is not a trivial one, it's great once you get it all worked out.

The touch screen works well and I've been very satisfied with the quality of the graphics. It packs a lot of pixels onto that 4" screen. I've never had problems watching streaming videos. Youtube works well both via the app and on a browser. I've used Netflix and streamed other video using browsers with no problems. I sometimes stream music using Pandora or Spotify. I've never tried video games more demanding than Angry Birds, so I can't say how it performs in that respect. If I have a good signal I can stream both with Wifi and with cellular data.

I have occasionally had problems sending and receiving picture texts. That can actually be pretty annoying. Just keep in mind that you cannot send or receive pic texts while you are on the phone. I sometimes forget this and wonder why I can't see a pic that a friend I'm talking to just sent me. I have to remember to drop the call to allow the pic to be received. It's annoying that I can't receive the pics using Wifi because I can still surf the web while on a phone call if I have wifi, but I believe this is the way the Verizon network works and is not a problem with the phone itself.

The camera is decent, but I wish it had a flash. One thing that is good about the camera is that it takes good pics of documents with normal lighting. The auto focus works well on closeup objects. This is probably not a big plus for many people, but I recently had need of taking many such pics and was pleased with the results compared to other cameras I tried.

Another thing I like about the phone is that it has an easily replaceable battery. I strongly recommend buying extra batteries and an external battery charger. This allows you to charge your extra batteries without having to keep your phone tethered to a charge cable. I like to carry one or two fully charged batteries with me so I can swap one in if the battery dies. I think it's easier to carry extra batteries than other external battery devices. The batteries are light and thin and will fit unobtrusively in any pocket. You can buy batteries for about $5 each on Amazon or Ebay. I typically can go an entire day on one battery charge with a battery that is in good condition.

Another thing regarding battery life that people should keep in mind is that if you are in an area where you have poor radio reception (one or zero bars of signal strength) you will go through batteries much faster than if you have 4 or 5 bars. This is because the radios use much more power trying to communicate with the towers when the signal is weak. When people complain about battery life you never know if it's a result of poor signals or some other issue. When I first got my phone I found that I could not go more than few hours without having to charge my battery even if I wasn't using the phone. It turned out that there was a problem with Google Play Services. After doing some research I found this was the problem and uninstalled it. They have since resolved the issue and I run it with no problems.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...