4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level Android smart phone.
Published on October 5, 2011 by Ratchet&Spank

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the phone... HOWEVER....
.... The phone itself is great. Others will hopefully tell you more about the phone and all that it does. I'm not very techy. If it makes calls and texts, thats good with me. This phone does a whole lot more than make calls and texts, and I had a lot of fun getting to know the phone.
Published on September 28, 2011 by Phyllis Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level Android smart phone., October 5, 2011
This review is from: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent Android Prepaid Cell Phone (USES SPRINT TOWERS) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this at Walmart for $150 a few weeks ago to replace the cheap-o flip phone I've had for years. If you're like me and are upgrading from a standard cell phone, I think you'll really love it. If you're switching from an iphone or Galaxy S, you'll definitely notice the lack of bells and whistles. Although, it might be worth loosing a few features to save money. I've heard some reviewers mention the phone has froze on them to the point they had to take out the battery. This has not happened to me and I use it quite a bit.

PROS:
- 3G and wi-fi are fast and work great. I'm able to watch youtube videos and listen to music through Pandora on 3G with no problem. I haven't tried Netflix on 3G, but it worked well on wi-fi.

- Full access to the Android app market.

- Only $45 a month for unlimited everything. Through Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint that would cost you over $100

- Decent battery life. It will make it through the day with normal use. And by normal I mean an hour on the phone and an hour or two on the internet. If you only make calls it will last you 3-4 days.

- GPS worked fine the one time I used it. Although it did make the battery drain a lot quicker...which is normal.

CONS:

- This phone uses Sprint's network and the reception is hit or miss. I sometimes have to walk outside to get a good signal depending on where I am. Check Sprint's coverage map to make sure it will work in your area.

- No flash support. It doesn't even worth with the flash app. Apparently there's not enough ram or something.

- Barcode scanner app doesn't work. It doesn't have the right type of camera.

Hope my review was helpful. If you're wanting an affordable smart phone that works well without having to fork out a hundred dollars a month to use it, look no further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great "Everyday" Phone, February 13, 2012
***EDIT 6/8/2013 This review was written when CDMA versions were sold (i.e. using Verizon towers instead of Sprint), if you are still looking for a Verizon prepay phone MAKE SURE IT SUPPORTS CDMA AND NOT GSM etc***

I've had Straight Talk for about five or six months now, and have had the Samsung Galaxy Precedent for that much time as well. From what I understand, ST phones go on a phone-by-phone basis of what kind of service will work for it. A majority of ST phones run Verizon, and the Samsung (as well as some other smart phones) runs off of Sprint. That's the first thing I'm addressing here: If you are located in an area where Sprint is used and supported, this phone should connect just fine. Otherwise, be careful.

I live in a rural city, and Straight Talk told me that my phone does not work in my area. That's basically to cover their butts, because if you check the Sprint coverage map this town is covered and I can attest to it. Not great signal like all the other Verizon users around here, but I haven't dropped a call yet.

Moving on to the actual phone itself: This has been my first smart phone, and by all accounts I am very impressed. It's a very "everyday" phone and it shows. It sure as heck won't run anything fancy like Dead Space (heck, sometimes Angry Birds will stutter a bit), but I can very quickly hop onto Facebook, forums I frequent, my email, Twitter, and even use an app called TuneIn Radio to listen to the radio here and there. You can have it run off of the 3G network or use it's Wifi capabilities, especially in my area 3G isn't super fast but I can still stream music from it.

I've been using my phone as much more than a phone. It's been my MP3 player (16GB micro SD card), it's been my Internet source for my laptop with tethering to 3G (Airports with Boingo!, you are terrible and I'm SO GLAD to have this phone to bypass that service), it's been my GPS for when I've been lost in the past, it's been my go-to quick Google search, etc etc.

I have also managed to root the phone and get rid of a lot of the pre-installed software. Which brings me to another point: The battery could be much better. I've had to go through with a root uninstaller app and get rid of some software that would otherwise take up resources. I've bought an app called JuiceDefender Ultimate that I switch on when I'm trying to stretch out my battery life. I've had to go through the phone settings and ensure that profiles/accounts aren't being updated every minute, either off or every hour, etc. With all that said and done, a full charge will usually last me at least two to three days, but when the phone is on it's factory settings this could be significantly shortened to five to seven hours. (If anyone knows where to buy a good replacement battery for this phone to make it last longer, I and other Amazon users would really appreciate it! :) )

Overall, the phone itself is a very good "everyday" phone. Now, about Straight Talk: there are multiple methods of payment, thankfully, such as going through their website, using Walmart.com, going to Walmart and picking up a card, or calling customer service. I recommend NOT calling customer service. In fact, as much as I LOVE my phone, Straight Talk needs to overhaul it's customer service. I didn't have an old number to transfer to this phone, so I didn't have to put up with that - however, there are been multiple accounts of users having bad experiences doing this (while a minority say that switching to their old number went through in about ten or so minutes and was painless). I've had to call in on a bank statement problem with ST once (turned out to be the bank all along), as a genuinely confused customer I wasn't too satisfied when I was being accused to trying to get another month of service when the reality was it was my banks fault. Maybe if, instead of blaming me, just telling to check with my bank first we wouldn't have had a bad experience and worse misunderstanding.

I am a guy that doesn't like having their hand held when dealing with electronics and I want to know what I'm paying for exactly. I know I'm paying $50 a month for a phone with unlimited everything, and I try to figure out what I can and can't do with my phone on my own. If you usually end up calling customer service and technical support for a lot of your electronics, I wouldn't recommend Straight Talk. That doesn't mean I haven't had to call technical support before, but I don't do it on a frequent basis.

Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the Samsung Galaxy Precedent and would recommend it to anyone who needs a general phone (with it being more than a phone).

PROS:
- Great audio quality on the phone, including the speaker on the back of the unit and earpiece for calls.
- Multiple methods of communication, such as GPS, WiFi, 3G, and Bluetooth. I use my Rocketfish RF-MAB2 bluetooth headphones with the phone, which is great as a pair of headphones for music and to quickly switch to a phone call when needed.
- Phone can be rooted giving you more control. Tethering is great when you can't get to a hot spot, or the hot spot wants you to pay for their service.
- Easily connect with Facebook, Twitter, email, texting, and more.
- Multiple methods of payment to Straight Talk. I've even used the phone's web browser to make a payment once.
- With the Droid OS, you get a lot of customization out of your phone to make it *yours*.
- Tons of apps work with the phone.

CONS:
- Straight Talk customer service and technical support is not great and needs a face lift / overhaul.
- Battery life is not great, will need to go through your phone settings thoroughly to make sure that anything taking up resources you don't care for isn't doing so anymore.
- If you are looking for a gaming phone, move along, nothing to see here.

NOTES:
- Uses the Sprint network.
- No physical QWERTY keyboard, everything is touch screen.

EDIT: As of tomorrow, 7/16/2012, I will be ordering the HTC Evo V 4G from Virgin Mobile. This phone has had a very nice run, in fact it won't be going anywhere and will probably stick around the house somewhere as a backup just in case. But for now, I crave a new phone, bigger, better, etc, but I still stand by this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the phone... HOWEVER...., September 28, 2011
The bad thing, unfortunatly, is that in the area that I am in most of the time, there is no signal. I live and work in a rural area, and this phone evidently runs off of different towers than the other straight talk phones. The service on this phone is non-existent for much of the roads I travel. Service was in and out throughout the day inside the building that I work in. When I *was* able to make a call from inside the building, the person I was talking to had trouble hearing me. Some texts went through, some did not.
I'm pretty dissapointed, I really wanted this phone! But if it can't make a call the majority of the time, its just not going to work for me. So if you're in a rural area, think twice!
I will say, Straight talk would get 5 stars from me for switching my phone back to an older one when I called them to tell them this one wasn't going to work for me. They were freindly and efficient.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value for smeone who is on a budget, November 9, 2011
this phone is a great entry level phone for first time smartphone users like myself...me personally this phone does everything i want..as far as coverage goes i live in south central connecticut and the coverage is pretty good for the most part.. I get three bars in my basement and my tmobile phone could not get service down there...for 45 dollars a month unlimifted everything is such a great value...texting is easy..keyboard is good although took me a while to get used to because my fingers are big.landscape mode for typing works much better for me not a big fan of swype typing although probably works well...i also love the voice to dial,text,and e-mail options on the phone it really comes in handy when your driving or multi tasking...battery life is about six hours of moderate use and if you use the gps get a car charger because it will drain the battery down in like an hour...phone for the most part is pretty fast...its no galaxy s2,but overall solid phone and if sprint works in your area then i would say go for it its a real good bargain if your on a budget..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone For City Use, January 23, 2012
Alan Houston (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Samsung Precedent is the same phone as the Samsung Prevail. Both use the Sprint network, which provides good service in large cities, and on major highways connecting large cities. I drove from Texas to Georgia and had a signal the entire trip, but I was always on a major highway. Sprint does not have good coverage in small towns and rural areas. If you are unsure about the Sprint signal in your area, talk to the folks at the Radio Shack store closest to your home, as their staff are usually well informed about signal issues in their own neighborhood.

The phone works great IF you learn to delete apps that you don't use, move as many apps as possible to the memory card, learn to use the included task manager to clear memory after closing an app, and use the included power widget to turn off Bluetooth, GPS, and wireless when they are not actually needed.

I also downloaded a data switch widget that makes it easy to turn off 3g when I am not on the internet. I now can go 24 hours on a single charge, if I avoid watching videos...that will drain the battery rather fast.

Check prices on the Prevail and Precedent carefully at Amazon.com, Radio Shack, and Wal-Mart. They sometimes sell for as little as $75 and are easy to find for $150 or less.

1.0 out of 5 stars No signal indoors, October 28, 2011
Rose (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
We didn't realize when we bought it the phone was on the Sprint network. Totally useless inside buildings, only works outside, and we live where there are towers. We bought it at Walmart and are returning it (Walmart gives 15 days for returns on phones). Sprint sometimes gives Airave to fix the problem with their own customers, but Straight Talk has no fix. It's been a big pain in the neck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy, September 30, 2011
This phone actually runs off the Sprint Network. I am in a rural area and had a regular StraightTalk (on Verizon n/w) and Sprint phone, both receptions were lousy, but I got this phone to replace my contract phone, and as it's Sprint I pretty much know what to expect with it.

The phone itself is great for a $45 unlimited plan a month, sure beats contract phones.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a Sprint Network Phone, April 3, 2012
First: I have used Straight Talk phones before and had no problems with coverage until I bought this Samsung Precedent.

The ad gave no indication that this phone works only on the Sprint network. I found out later that Straight Talk has confirmed that the Precedent will run on the Sprint network.

Because Straight Talk chose to use the Sprint network for this phone, the coverage on this phone will likely be similar to the coverage of Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile who are also Sprint resellers; it will likely only work in major metropolitan areas + on most freeways. This is generally inferior to what I and current Straight Talk customers experience on the Verizon or AT&T networks that all current Straight Talk phones use.

Second: After one day with this phone, the battery will not charge as it states "not a valid battery - check your manual." There is nothing in the manual about this phone battery error. Will be sending phone back for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great prepaid android phone!!!, August 21, 2012
I pretty much have tried just about all prepaid phones at one time or another in an attempt to upgrade with the times. I recently decided to try the Samsung Galaxy Precedent through Straight Talk as a possible replacement for my home phone. I gotta say, while researching this product here @ Amazon, I saw mostly mixed or negative reviews for this phone. It appears that the most common problem involved this model of phone using the Sprint network(which made the coverage non existant for some people). And another big issue apparently was the battery life being somewhat horrible. Against what the reviews here gave for this phone, I decided to try it anyway and see for myself if this phone was capable of what the positive reviews said about it. I'm really glad I did so, because this is in my opinion the best and definately most high tech prepaid phone I've ever owned.

First and foremost in the positive aspects of this phone for me is having a 3G capable phone. Most other prepaid phones I've had in the past were nowhere near as great as this phone. Then again, this is the first android phone I've had, so there really is no fair comparison in that department. The internet capability is unbelievable for a prepaid carrier. I can check my email, watch YouTube and logon to Facebook remotely from my cell phone(and this phone is actually faster and doesn't lag as much as my desktop computer). The only real downside here is that supposedly you're limited access to the internet(which other users here have pointed out in their reviews). Disappointing really, since using internet on a phone this fast is addictive. Something Straight Talk might wanna fix in the future and specify more. Their plan for this phone is misleading, because their $45 Unlimited Plan to me implies unlimited internet access and not limited to 1 or 2 GB's.

The next area is call quality and clarity. So far, this phone has had excellent call quality and second to none clarity. For all intents and purposes, I use this phone more often than my landline home phone and it's more consistent. Initially, I was hesistant to purchase this phone with all the negative reviews on it using Sprint's network. Thankfully, it's not an issue for me, because the area in FL I live must be a hotspot for Sprint. I have used this phone for long distance and local calls, and not once have I had a dropped call or bad clarity issues.

Finally is the battery life, which does drain quickly. However, most newer phones I've used(like Blackberries, touchscreens phones or now Androids)all don't have long battery lives. But, considering what all you do with this phone, it's nothing charging it up once a day can't solve. It's been my experience that as long as you are religious with monitoring your battery, you'll never end up with a dead cell phone. Of course, I don't use my phone every day for calls, but I do occasionally surf the web and pretty much use my mp3 player everyday. I can see this being a problem for some people, but for me it's a non-existent issue.

All in all, I've enjoyed this phone and haven't regretted buying it, as I've had no dropped calls, freezing up problems(which was a major issue for some here) or any other problems. One main thing I noticed here @ Amazon is the ridiculously high price label for this product. I purchased the exact sane phone and unlimited airtime card for about $170 at Wal Mart. I can't believe the same phone here is $100 more without an airtime card, as I usually find better deals here.

One final thing I wanna point out for the casual prepaid users here is that with this phone you cannot use the $30 airtime card with this(or any other Android phone with Straight Talk). You have to purchase the $45 Unlimited card monthly, which makes sense with this being an Android phone. Definately the best prepaid deal I found, as Verizon, Go Phone and Net 10 all had more expensive monthly deals on their Androids.

3.0 out of 5 stars New to smart phones so how the heck do you work it?, January 30, 2012
Remember when owner's manuals actually told you how things work? This has two. Both start you out in something and then "follow the directions" except you can't access the damn keyboard to put in requests. Took me ages to figure out how to pull the number pad up. Asked Samsung to point me at a step by step owner's manual. They didn't. They referred me to the phone company - which doesn't have one either. Yes, I'm new to this. No this is not "intuitive" like my Iphone friends rave about.

Two other big downsides - the touch screen is nice and sharp for me but it doesn't respond by touch but rather by how electric you are at the moment. So, there are times, it just doesn't want to accept my touch and I don't like the oily fingerprints all over the screen. And if you are learning like I am, it locks all the time. Keep tapping it and press the on/off button and swipe the phone on - over and over and over and over...

It's slow and operates on Sprint networks. I'm in the middle of San Francisco, on top of Buena Vista park and I've got fluctuating one bar to three bars. Tried to Google and spent a minute waiting for the first entry.

I don't know about the bar code app not working. That is one of the major reasons I bought the thing; so I could price compare in the store.

However, as a phone, it has better reception that the Motorola Metro PCS that I had before. It's compatible with hearing aids. And it apparently can do some great things and by pass much of my constant search for the damn keyboard screen by using the talk feature. Youtube videos make me think more highly of it. Especially the talk feature. Google around and look. The plan at 45 a month is good.

A 4G LG phone will be offered soon. I'm not that big of fan of LG - their televisions look good but don't seem to last that long. So, hmm. If' Iphones were offered on other networks I'd buy one. I just refuse to do the contact anymore. So, this may be it for a while.

Rate and Discover Movies