Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Straight Talk
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on August 12, 2003
If you've seen Straight Talk, you're no doubt a fan. This light-hearted movie is such a pick-me-up! I just love finding a movie I can watch several times and still laugh out loud!! I just love the scene where she loses her $20 bill on the bridge and James Woods comes to the "rescue"! The soundtrack is even good with songs written and performed by Dolly.
The DVD falls short though. No extras, no inner liner notes and it's ONLY available in full screen - YUCK!! Hollywood Pictures Home Entertainment should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a poor product. Maybe this film wasn't a total blockbuster, but it sure deserved a better presentation than what it got.
Movie *****
DVD **
Overall ****
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2002
Yes, It's true. I am a diehard Dolly Parton fan, but if I wasn't I would still love this movie. Dolly's natural charm and humor comes to play in this rags-to-riches type of story. This is a must see!! Dolly is hilarious. This movie is a five star plus. You definitely won't regret seeing this. I don't care what the critics say. By far my favorite movie ever!
on November 19, 2003
I loved this movie! Shirlee Kenyon was a down on her luck country girl, when a mistake turns her into a big time radio doctor. I thought that her boss was kind of an a hole... He goes by the impression that people who have been married 3 times are losers, or those that have something real to say, He would write them off as losers..
This film shows off Dolly's spicy side of things! She had quite a few one lines... "I am like a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest!' Plus you get to see an early appearance of Terri Hatcher! (Lois & Clark The New Adventures of Superman)
I would like to have seen the trailer. as well as the music videos and even a commentary would have been nice... Aside from that, I still love the film....
on April 2, 2011
Some stores are already selling these locally. I picked one up yesterday, and the transfer is wonderful. Even though it is not posted on Amazon as of this writing, rest assured it is in 1.78:1 - 16x9 widescreen enhanced ratio. But, there are no extra's at all.
on February 1, 2000
Dolly Parton is utterly delightful in this corny, syrupy but immensebly enjoyable comedy. Her unlikely romance with James Woods is actually quite interesting as it is easy to see how Dolly's charm could permiate even the most jaded people. Sure it's not very original and it is very lightweight but it's got an old fashioned Frank Capra kind of sweetness to it.
on April 14, 2011
I came across this title in my local Target the other day and I was honestly surprised. Straight Talk is a great film, one of my personal favorites, but it's definitely not a title I would see as high on the list for a Blu-Ray transfer. So initially, I was wary of getting gipped by a sub-par release. Priced at $5, however, I figured I would take a chance on it. I'm extremely glad that I did. The transfer isn't sparklingly stunning as the latest movies in theaters, but it is most definitely an upgrade on the DVD, which I've owned and watched many times. Close-up shots are especially clear, the image doesn't exhibit too much instability (most of the poor quality is limited to the opening credit sequence), and there is very little dirt or debris to be found in the image. The sound was also decent and perfectly capable for the type of movie Straight Talk is. It is limited to the front speakers, however, so don't expect to be completely submerged in sound. The soundtrack is clear, to the point, and it get's the job done. All in all, if you were ever a fan of this movie, I highly recommend the upgrade. I was pleasantly surprised and I think others will be too!
on November 16, 2014
Dolly Parton is wonderful has the straight talking receptionist who through a series of misunderstandings fills in for a recently hired psychologist to give information to the lsiteners to a radio station. Her advice is so down home straight with great one liners that you have to enjoy it. She gets found out and you need to see it to find out how her "listeners" support her. One of my favorite lines (see I even remember the lines) to a person who was a martyr was "Get down off the cross honey, somebody needs the wood". Smaltzy and wonderful as only Dolly can do it.
on August 24, 2013
It's my own fault. I should have checked the description better. This Blu-ray has no subtitles. With my hearing problems subtitles are important if I wish to watch this show when other family members are around.
I wish Amazon would make subtitles a priority item in the description. A movie either has them or not. If it does then what languages.
on November 26, 2013
Dolly Parton delivers a solid performance as down on her luck Shirley, a woman who leaves her useless boyfriend for the hopes and dreams of city life in bustling Chicago.

While on the quest for secretarial position at a radio station, she is mistaken for an on air radio shrink. Before she can correct them, she is forced on air and taking calls. However, her life experience and compassion for others compels her to answer the questions, ultimately assuming the life of "Dr. Shirley."

However, along the way, James Woods meets her and sets out to get the true story on Shirley, knowing that she isn't who she says she is.

A "cute" story of love and mistaken identity, Straight Talk is entertaining and a fun story to watch once.
on May 5, 2016
I love Dolly Parton, she is such a treat and seems like a genuinely good person which makes for a great time while watching moving with her as a starring role. You always want to cheer for Dolly and this movie is no exception. It is about a woman who goes off into the great city to really pursue a good life and I have enjoyed taking that journey with her. If you enjoy Dolly or 80s classics, you will certainly enjoy this film.