4.0 out of 5 stars No major complaints, at all -- Well worth the money
Published 14 months ago by Christian Moreau

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for the elderly
Published 12 months ago by Schism

4.0 out of 5 stars No major complaints, at all -- Well worth the money, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Straight Talk Home Phone Unlimited Plan, 30 Service Days (15$) (Mail delivery) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First of all, I am quite surprised by the number of reviews for Straight Talk cell service that have managed to find their way here for a totally different product. This is for the Straight Talk HOME PHONE system. I've had the system about two months, now, and have no major complaints, although there are a few minor irritants. I had a bit of trouble getting my old number ported, so I did talk to customer service twice. Each time, I spoke with a native English speaker who was very helpful and resolved my problem fairly quickly. I moved to ST because the Vonage service that I'd been using since 2004 was slowly becoming more and more expensive. The same service that I originally paid $25.27 for each month, had added various taxes, fees, etc., so that the latest bills were over $42 monthly. With ST I just pick up a $15 plus sales tax card at Walmart each month, and I have home phone with unlimited local and long distance dialing, caller ID, three way calling, call waiting with caller ID, and voicemail. For those who complain that the caller ID doesn't show the name of the person calling, only the number, remember that this uses Verizon's cell phone service, so there is no lookup database for incoming calls as there is for landlines and VoIP. Also, sometimes making outgoing calls can be problematic if you press <Talk> and then dial the number. Since this is a cell phone system, if you hesitate between numbers when dialing the service may not recognize the number properly. To get around this, I've learned that I can keep it from ever happening if I dial the number first and then press <Talk> on my phone. That way the number is sent to the cell system as one continuous stream, with no pauses -- works every time. I recently went on a six hour road trip and was expecting some calls on my ST phone. I just hooked up a wired phone to the box and put in in the passenger's seat. The box has a battery with a 20 hours standby and 2 hours talk time. I received my calls while driving with no problem, at all. One additional plus that I might mention is that because the unit has an antenna it will often work in places where a regular cell phone will not. My brother has a cabin in the mountains and his cell phone is useless there, but his ST's Home Phone system works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Straight Talk home phone service!, May 15, 2013
I've had ST home phone for about two months, and their cell service for about 6. Haven't had any issues with either. The home phone base was a little pricey, but I'm saving a lot per month not having to pay the taxes and fees that were riding on my old AT&T landline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, June 11, 2013
Angry Appraiser "The Dude" (Coral Springs, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Finally decided we had enough of MaBell and the $120/month for two age old land lines. Was VERY reluctant simply because of the habit the land line has forged over the years. After considering HOW MUCH money is donated to the phone company each year (nearly $1,500 / year for 2 lines = $15,000 after a decade! Comeon already)

1) get unit out of box and create online account. Follow information to port your current phone number then get ready to WAIT. Porting the number was easy but ATT dragged for nearly 2 weeks. In the meantime your existing line works no problem. Since the straight talk box connects to a satellite, you can literally pack it up and take it to you on a trip if so desired.

2) Called ATT to see if they would discount the last remaining line we have (it is used for a small business and somewhat hesitant to transfer it but for the savings its worth it). ATT rep told me there was nothing he could do. Amazed, I purchased another ST box and had the process started on the second line.

3) 911 service is not the same as it is with land based line. 911 operator can tell exactly where you are so if you have young children, this MAY be a concern. You have to tell the 911 operator your location. Never had to and hope never will have to but I was concerned with younger kids in the house.

4) Overall talk quality is good not great. Since you are talking through a satellite connection now, its just like on a cell phone. Sometimes you cant tell...other times wife is saying "I could not hear a word they were saying". There is a signal strength indicator on the box...when we get one bar its like listening to someone chew on marbles....with two bars you have no problem.

For the $$ saved, this is a no brainer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for the elderly, January 14, 2014
I bought StraighTalk Home phone for my 84 year old grandmother because her landline phone bill was almost $45 a month, it works pretty decently as far as call quality but when you call the unit, you hear about 5 rings. The receiving phone actually only rings about 3 to 4 times which doesn't leave near enough time for her to get to her phone. I contacted them and they said the amount of rings before the transfer to voicemail cannot be changed, she cannot reach the phone in time and constantly complains of missing calls. Having her learn the voicemail is impossible, so the only option is to leave a voicemail greeting which says to call back several times if no one answers.

Overlooking this is completely ridiculous on Straightalks part, what the hell were they thinking?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst company to deal with.....ever!, June 25, 2013
Buyer beware.....we have had nothing but bad luck and so far a horrible experience trying to FIRST get the phones setup (spent several calls and hours talking to overseas non-English speaking people) and then after setting up the auto renewal / replenish account they disconnected one of our two phones and told me that we have to get a new phone number. They had already extracted the funds from our account before the phone expiration date, and still deactivated the phone. The stress of dealing with the overseas "SUPPORT" on the phone, is enough to want to make you want to cut your losses and move back to your old carrier no matter how BAD they were.....at least they realized what your issue was without having to repeat it ten times!

I just got off the phone with them AGAIN demanding my original phone numbers that we have had for YEARS and the women told me that she cannot reactivate the number because the plan was not renewed.....I said I beg to differ, you already took the funds from our checking account long before the plan expired...."long pause"....she then said "hold on the line while I reactivate your old number." She said to dial *22890 to reactivate the old number and you should be ok. I specifically asked again if she reinstated my old number that they deactivated....she out right lied and told me yes! We found out they reissued a new number after we reactivated the phone. What a bunch of liars and we are very disappointed with what we received so far which is; nothing but disappointments, lies and poor customer support! If you have plenty of time on your hands and you enjoy listening to crappy ON HOLD music, then sign up for your STRAIGHTALK phone abuse today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad phone service, HORRIBLE customer service., August 2, 2013
The phone and the service itself are fine. I feel for anyone who has a problem and ends up making multiple calls to customer service, like I had to for over 2 weeks. Get ready for the most unbridled display of incompetence you are likely to ever face. The Titanic Disaster....not even close. Exxon Valdez Oil Spill....way more competent. Thank god that these people are ONLY allowed to "try" to troubleshoot phone problems. If they had any more responsibility than that, I would fully expect the collapse of Western Civilization. I know what your thinking...and YES, IT'S THAT BAD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy straight talk home phone, April 12, 2013
I purchased a straight talk home two weeks ago and transferred our home phone number to it. The unit became defective after we received our first voice mail. After spending two hours on another phone with their customer service, I was told the phone was defective. In order to get a replacement I have to send the old phone back (3-5 days by their estimate) and after it is processed they will send me a replacement (another 3-5 days by their estimate). So somewhere more than a week and half plus their processing time. This is our main phone number that all friends and associates have. Their suggestion was to by one of their cell phones and they would transfer our number to it. WHAT A JOKE. They need a rating less than one.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY Straight Talk Home Phone Service, June 5, 2013
Elena (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
DO NOT BUY Straight Talk Home Phone Service
Just call the customer service and you will understand how badly this service is. You will not need any more explanation. I try to call them to find out if they are compatible with my alarm system. I spend 3 hours with people who don't speak English plus do not know anything except to say yes, yes, yes..."What yes?" yes... and I did not find out if my alarm will work with this phone service! Forget About that I wouldn't buy this system!

1.0 out of 5 stars Apalling customer "service", ok phone service, June 12, 2014
If you want to keep your current home phone number make sure to keep your existing service and overlap it for a short time.

We dropped AT&T and got Straight Talk the same day, then took three weeks, endless calls and appalling customer service to get our old number back.

Having got everything in order for one day and having paid for another month service we were cut off. They messed up their billing records. Another hour of life wasted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight Talk 30-day service plan (Verizon), November 14, 2012
Ernie_07 (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
Excellent service when it works!
Calls will be DROPPED randomly followed by a message detailing minutes/texts used and available.
First line customer service cannot or will not correct this problem.
Contact with a supervisor will be required EACH month to remove what Straight Talk refers to as a free FEATURE.
Perhaps one should complain to the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) to get this OBNOXIOUS behavior changed.