Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2011 10:26:02 AM PDT
This title scares me. Sounds like just another white male who doesn't get Michael Jackson and digging up some tabloid trash and trying to make it sound like he knows what he is talking about. He is on Oprah? O, no. He writes for Rolling Stone? To my regret, I bought their commemorative on MJ and they had a professor writing an article quoting an unknown source saying MJ's nose fell off. How ridiculous and how disappointing. I won't be be buying this book. Hope this gets posted.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 8:01:38 AM PDT
LFZ says:
"...sweeping biography of unprecedented depth..." How much you want to bet Randall Sullivan never even met Michael Jackson. Since it's a Rolling Stone hit piece, we're going to be treated--to add "depth" to this biography, of course--to the story of Michael's nose rolling across the floor. Of course, the coroner's report indicates an intact nose, but what the hell.

If bringing joy to more people in one day than Randall Sullivan has in his entire life, if raising the consciousness of millions, if allowing children of all ages and illnesses a day of relief from their circumstances, if contributing to the musical legacy of countless artists, if mentoring them, raising the bar, being a loving father to three bright and polite children...if all this is a "tragic" life, then I want a tragic life, too.

I won't be buying this book.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 7:46:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 8:00:04 AM PST
J. Leone says:
Rolling Stone has bashed Michael Jackson for years. They've never forgiven him for having the audacity to be a brilliant businessman who bought his music catalog which includes the Beatles music. Paul McCartney has been whining about this for years, but when he had the opportunity to buy it, he didn't want to spend the money. That was NOT Michael Jackson's fault. McCartney tried to get Oko Ono to go in on it and she turned him down. She has said she is glad that Michael Jackson purchased it.

"successes blew up in his face and whose failures nearly brought down a megacorporation, and an inveterate narcissist". This one sentence makes it clear what Sullivan's agenda is in writing this book. Michael Jackson's "Thirller" is the biggest selling of all time. Yes, he was successful beyond anyone's wildest imagination. This "successes blew up in his face" statement doesn't even make sense.

He was "an inveterate narcissist"? Mr. Jackson was extremely humble. Yes, he knew he had been given many gifts, but he always thanked God for them and also gave God the credit for bringing him his music. He studied the greats- his mentors- James Brown, Fred Astaire, Jackie Wilson, etc.- and gave them credit for their inspiration to him. Those who knew him PERSONALLY, always talk about how humble he was and thankful for his success which was due mainly to his incredible work ethic.

His "failures nearly brought down a megacorporation". Is Sullivan talking about Sony? BS! If he is speaking about Mr. Jackson's fantastic album, "Invincible", he is off base. This album sold millions. More than most albums today that are considered successes. Everyone has always based Jackson's success in comparison to the sales of "Thriller" which is unfair. That was a seminal moment in music history that will never be re-captured by anyone. Michael Jackson was a music and dancing genius. A one of a kind entertainer and a visionary. It is time to honor this man for all he gave to the world. He always gave everything he had. He never settled for second best. He is to be admired- not denigrated.

Amen to your post, LFZ. You nailed it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:41:38 AM PST
P. Faust says:
This is kinda OT, but I wonder what happened to the original release date? I thought this book was going to be released early last year, and now it's not for 6 more months? Just curious.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:59:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 4, 2012 10:00:25 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 11:57:11 AM PDT
Chill Will says:
This guy continues to delay the publication of his book so that he can add more trash to it. An excerpt is in vanity fair and he still maintains that Michael had no nose only small piece of cartilage held together by bandages. Michael supposedly had a prosthetic nose. He claims that this is in the coroner's report, which it is not. As usual another lazy writer counting on people to be as lazy as himself and not find out things for themselves. The coronor's report can be found online and viewed in some cases, downloaded, yet we still get lies. I am amazed that with a cororner's report out there writers still won't tell the truth. Why doesn't he just publish this piece of trash and get it over with so it can go in the trash pile with the rest of the shit that has been written about Michael since his death.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:38:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2012 5:40:33 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 11:49:18 PM PDT
AM2121 says:
Janet Jackson Demands a Retraction by Vanity Fair

http://www.janetjackson.com/story/news/letter-from-blair-brown-to-graydon-carter-of-vanity-fair

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:06:38 PM PDT
Still not gonna buy this book

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:40:09 AM PDT
KATE JONSON says:
Yeah, maybe a white female should have wrote the book since MJ looked like one. I love MJ, but his life was strange. He was strange. I have the RS issue, too. I have all the tribute issues that were released when he passed. I hope the book isn't boring, which is funny because "Boring" and "Michael Jackson" do not go together.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 11:05:24 AM PDT
Michael did not look like a white female to me, nor did I find what I knew of his life to be strange. So, I see it's all individual perspectives and understandings it appears. As for my reference to a white male writing on Jackson that is because that is who mostly gets the articles and book deals to write often trashy, often racially biased things about Jackson. I have bought most all the publications and I'll keep honoring those authors who write with accuracy and integrity, but I regret I bought the RSS issue and I won't be buying Sullivan's book. Unreliable information and I don't need that for the research I'm doing on Jackson. Go Spike Lee!

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 5:44:41 AM PDT
Darlene says:
I had pre-ordered the book but thanks to the MJFC's info on him I'm planning on cancelling my order. Glad the book didn't come out on the original date. Why can't people just "Leave Him Alone" and let him finally rest in peace? May Michael's Legacy continue to live on and those who live him continue to give us the truth and new and exciting things to read about.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:32:40 PM PDT
KATE JONSON says:
He looked like a white woman and he lived a strange life. Funny how some fans are always claiming white people had something against MJ when MJ wanted to be white himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:33:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 5:34:57 PM PDT
KATE JONSON says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 5:41:59 PM PDT
I understand he looked like a white woman in your view, but not necessarily in other people's views, and not in mine. And, nope, Mike didn't want to be white. But you got one thing correct finally: Michael Jackson dared to be recognized. And, nope, white people in general had nothing against Michael, just some. But, I understand you are advocating for Sullivan's book. You seem to think alike. Or you just want to have a little fun on this thread and see what you can stir up. That's funny, but I gotta go. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:19:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 8:28:34 PM PDT
AM2121 says:
Jesus! You sound like some clueless kid!!

1. He didn't look like a woman - in that case, a lot of the glam-rockers of the past looked like women. However, if Michael HAD been a woman, he'd have been better looking than many women.

2. In all your ignorance, you COMPLETELY omitted Michael Jackson's 'Universal', (Progressive) Vitiligo?
Eager to hear your rundown on why YOU think Michael wanted to be "white". It's the last thing he wanted, but he learned to live with it.

As for any fans feeling some of the bias against him was racial - they are RIGHT! SOME of the bias and relentless slander against the man DID and DOES involve a mixture of racism, resentment, jealousy and sometimes all of them; your denials won't change that fact!!!

3. He wasn't "strange"- he was just *different in some ways; which stemmed from his own, unique sensitivity and perspective toward a gaping void that many of us are lucky to be able to call - childhood! Furthermore, he didn't live a "strange" life - he HAD and lived a *DIFFERENT* kind of life; which is NOT surprising, considering he was immensely gifted and performing relentlessly since he was a kid - which eventually led him to super-stardom status, and super rich with it. Now we have this super rich superstar the media can't get enough of. He remains young-at-heart and tries to recapture some of his childhood in the privacy of a peaceful, sprawling abode. He remained super successful worldwide and STILL caused super-hype and near-frenzy whenever he stepped foot outside from any point around the world...Basically becoming the most famous person on the planet. - All of this right up unitil he passed away. You say "Strange" I and many others would say, "Different".

"Love MJ" my backside. You have zero interest for the truth of the man, which shows in your ignorant assumptions and presumptions about the man. You have no respect for the man at all. You are simply an insult to the man!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:21:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 8:29:48 PM PDT
AM2121 says:
@Sherry L. Bryant

I agree, 100%!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:30:44 AM PDT
Thank you, AM2121

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 3:01:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 5:37:01 PM PST
KATE JONSON says:
You rabid fanatics are very funny. Damn, You're hilarious. I'm going to keep it simple.

1. Yes, they did, but MJ took to another level in the '90s & '00s. He became a white woman. He was only lacking a sex change.

2. Michael Jackson wanted to be white. Vitiligo or not, he wanted to be white. His many actions prove that.

3. He was strange. I'm not going even do a rundown.

You crazy rabid fans go off on anyone who does not excuse everything Michael did. I've known this for years. I'm not new to this. Many non crazy fans have been attacked over the years. Yeah, I'm not a fan. That's why I own all those cds, all those books, all those magazines, all those dvds. That's why he's the only celebrity death I cried over. That's why I have the memorial and many other specials that aired after his death on DVD. That's why have the '93 Oprah Special on DVD. '95 Primetime Live one on DVD. That's why I plan on buying that "I Luv MJ" handbag I seen on ebay. That's why I have MJ button pins. Sit down before you make yourself look even more out of touch, if that's possible. I'm done. I may come back if some normal fans reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:13:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 8:13:21 PM PDT
AM2121 says:
The only one "rabid" and "strange" here is you and those like you!!

Now, give a rundown on your self-assumptions that Michael Jackson "wanted" to be white.
LESS of your assuming...BACK your "rabid" rant up!

You are not ANY kind of fan, you simply have an obsession with the man - Even those that some call "haters" can have an obsession with anything pertaining to Michael Jackson, and in that light, I don't give a toss what MJ stuff you have - You are the type of person this man would have avoided like the plague; Full of ignorance and self-righteous assumptions about the man AND in claiming that all fans and admirers who have THEIR say are "crazy" & "rabid".

You're a joke!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:28:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 11:45:05 PM PDT
FelineFatale says:
Kate, your collection is impressive. Just one thing....if he means so much to you that you've obviously taken the time and money to acquire these special remembrances, why is it that you don't "get" him? Do some research on Vitiligo and Lupus and enlighten yourself about the devastating effects they have on the human body. He frequently stated publicly that he was a proud African American; proud to be a black man, even though his skin was nearly porcelain white in his later years. And, please! Would you identify a specific example of an action that proved he longed to be white?

Strange? No, he wasn't strange at all. He was different. He thought differently; he was light-years ahead of the average human being. He was artistically gifted beyond our ability to fully understand and appreciate him. Oh, he was a genius entertainer and musician alright, but his level of sensitivity was extraordinary, and like a two-edged sword, it made his life particularly difficult, especially as it pertained to the plight of children.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't picture him as a white woman. In my mind he was completely male and possibly the sexiest man who ever drew breath. And if I'm a "rabid fanatic" then shucks, I'm supremely proud of the title!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:05:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 1:34:44 PM PST
FelineFatale says:
Quote:Everyone has always based Jackson's success in comparison to the sales of "Thriller" which is unfair. That was a seminal moment in music history that will never be re-captured by anyone."

So true, J. Leone!

Every time I listen to Invincible I'm reminded of the unfathomable loss we experienced when he left us. He never "peaked". His subsequent releases were incredible. The new songs on Bad-25 Anniversary CD are terrific and, not surprising, one in particular has set the blogs, press and music critics buzzing. Speaking of music critics, so many were downright miserly in their reviews of his work after Thriller. Pathetic!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:51:14 AM PST
Katriona says:
Wow are you off base! Michael was PROUD to be a black man, and said so frequently.
Research...

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:57:43 PM PST
Will not waste my cash on this tabloid trash!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:17:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:27:19 PM PST
AM2121 says:
Without going into details, this book is supposed to include a piece of regurgitaed BS from "Adrian McManus", (who was actually SACKED from Neverland for STEALING items, which eventually amounted to thousands of dollars - plus, making over 20 thousand more from speaking to tabloids). She was also part of the Neverland five, (a group of disgruntled ex-employees) who tried to sue MJ; only Michael countersued & won. They ended up owing him over a million - but of course, couldn't pay it. She was also ripped to threads on the stand at the 05 trial and admitted lying under oath.

Using her, alone, as a source... Need I say more? Same with the omitting of things that HAVE been OFFICIALLY proved true; such as Vitiligo, a COMPLETE nose... (It is ridiculous that I have to state that about his nose, Sullivan - but you are an Ignorant). Michael's liver and other organs were in BETTER condition than MOST who are of the same age, (Which a long-term "drug addict", etc would NOT have) ...and on and on and on.

Just another pathetic being, (who had never even come within 10-feet of Michael) trying to piece together a scattered jig-saw of old and TOTALLY unfounded tabloid tid-bits from the past... And all sprinkled with the usual helping of SELF-righteous assumptions and tiresome SELF-appointed expertise in the dissecting and analysing of the man and his supposed psyche.

(Rolls eyes)!!

Jouranlism has truly reached gutter level in too many places.

What is wrong with some of you media people? Do you ever ever do some fact-checking before advertising for someone? Or is that what it is all about - advertising - how many web hits are obtained - ESPECIALLY when you throw in a sensational headline with it. Oh, but it's Michael Jackson / The Jackson family so, as usual, anything goes - nothing is off-limits when writing about them - even when there is never any solid proof /back-up.

So here we go again, yet another pathetic book that basically amounts to a bag of air!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson
Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson by Randall Sullivan (Hardcover - November 13, 2012)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (378)