5.0 out of 5 stars Sunsets Put To Music
In the past (before I listened to this record) whenever I heard someone describe an album or artist as "lush" (see M83) or "noise driven" (see My Bloody Valentine) or "ethereal" (see Boards of Canada), I usually just hummed and nodded in half-acknowledged understanding. Those are pretty ambiguous adjectives, I used to think.

Now I get it.

In this...
Published on December 29, 2006 by Mark Eremite

2.0 out of 5 stars vanilla flavor with a little chocolate
I blindly purched this cd based on the fact that there were two tracks on his last release (far away trains)that I really really liked. "Strangely Isolated Place" isn't a bad release, but sorry to say, I am disappointed. I really wanted there to be that one or two tracks that just reached out and grabbed me like on his previous cd, but it didn't happen. There are a few...
Published on December 19, 2004 by mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunsets Put To Music, December 29, 2006

Now I get it.

In this album, Ulrich Schnause uses broad, rushing sweeps of sound (think static, think airplanes taking off, think blood pumping in your ears) to make some of the most evocative music I have heard in a long time. If not ever.

This is an album that is supremely bittersweet, sandwiching layer upon layer of honest emotion between rich, achingly beautiful chords. Driven by a pulse that is strong but never insistent and colored by a hue that is subtle but impossible to ignore, this album exemplifies everything that the words "lush," "noise driven," and "ethereal" could ever possibly mean. If I didn't think it would devalue (and ultimately demean) the record, I would try to explain the heart-breaking beauty of each and every song on this CD. As it is, I'll just say that every song is just as gorgeous as the next, and the sum total is something that is quite seriously a work of art and a treasure to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A place I've never been, November 18, 2004
I have been a fan of Electronica for over 10 years and have kept up with pretty much every new sound that has come out in that time span. I have never heard anything so beautiful in my entire life as I did the day I picked up this album. I was driving in my car just flipping thru songs to catch the intros as a lot of us may do when we buy a new CD. It was different this time in that I found myself getting drawn into every song that I flipped to. I can only say that this album took my mind to a place that I have never been to, as far as emotions that is. I listen to a lot of my music in my car as I drive and just like to chill and think. Most of the time I will put on some MOBY, BT, Orbital, or Hooverphonic, all great music if I may add, to chill out. I popped this album in the CD player and it gave me an awesome sense of emotion. All the songs are top notch. If you let each song play thru, you will hear different beats and sounds come up all the way to the end of each song. Every song changes from start to beginning. One song stuck to me though and that was song number 6. ("Bluementhal") This one song made me feel a way I've never felt before. It moved me in an awesome way. I thought of everything from my childhood to my wife to my family to everything that brought joy in my life. I know this sounds corny, but it's the truth. I will never forget this feeling as long as I have this song and the CD to listen to. Pop it in the old CD player on a long ride, or perhaps even when you're lonely and need something to help you get by. I hope everyone can get these same feelings that I have gotten while listening to this CD. If not, keep looking because I know Electronica has always helped me out in life and it will help you too. This CD is a perfect example of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lavishly painted landscape, May 13, 2007
First of all, I discovered about Ulrich back in, I believe 2003 when Nick Warren was coming out with Global Underground Reykjavik, I believe his track Nobody's Home was on that compilation, as soon as I heard it I knew I had to look up this artist. I have to tell, ever since discovering about him he has NOT disappointed me. This guy is like the Beethoven of Ambient. I know some OR most will not or MIGHT not agree with that statement, but I just have not heard anybody come close to the music he creates. This guy does not just make music, he paints landscapes. Certain tracks that he makes (Monday - Paracetamol, Clear Day, Strangely Isolated Place) for instance, just sound so beautiful that I feel like I can't take it. I feel like that guy from "American Beauty" talking about "beauty in the world" It just all sounds so unbearably beautiful what Ulrich does with melodies. It's like he is capable of taking you on a trip with lavish landscapes - taking you out of the ordinary world and placing you in an extraordinary one. It's a ride that you never want to end. That ONE hour that is A STRANGELY ISOLATED PLACE is like an escape from reality - one that is just hard to describe simply by words - you have to HEAR it. It's an unforgettable experience. I have listened to so much music in my lifetime, especially anything that has to do with IDM or simply electronic, and Ulrich Schnauss is the ONE man that made me feel something special. His music is so powerful in this album (a lot more intense than FAT) that it invokes feelings in you that you might have never thought music would possibly do to you. I am really lost for words just like the dozens of people that already posted. This is like one of those albums you simply don't even NEED to hear a 30 second sample of.

10/10

I think this album will be remembered for ages to come and will be studied in the future. Masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have listened to this album..., January 20, 2007
Felix Matathias (Manhattan, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
in the city streets, at home, out in the country, when it was rainy, when it was cloudy and it has always clicked.

For years I have been trying to find the Vangelis and Jarres of our era and Ulrich Schnauss comes pretty close. Very synthetic and organic melodies that transcend to many levels is what makes his melodies subtly addictive.

If you like this check Barbara Morgenstern out, start with "The Grass is Always Greener". And obviously Boards of Canada, any album.

5.0 out of 5 stars its the chilliest night ever, October 26, 2006
A very amazing piece of work. Its versatility is stunning. You can literally half ignore it while in a conversation with someone, or listen to methodically. speechless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Ambient with a downtempo beat... Best of 2005, December 15, 2005
BeautifulMutant "BeautifulMutant" (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have not stopped listening to this CD now for many weeks.

It is hands down my favorite CD of 2005. Beautiful electronic music which meanders at its own hypnotic pace for 60+ minutes.

It appeals to every sense of mine. Romantic, dark at times, fun, uplifting. This music can relax you and envelope you and wash over you and make you feel great all at the same time. I played it for my high school graphic design class during final exams as background music. Not one complaint and lots of toes slowly tapping. Just buy it. It deserves to be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious, Haunting, Eerily Familiar, December 11, 2005
Simeon Hein "Planetary Intelligence author" (www.OpeningMinds.info, Boulder, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
This album is sure to find a special place in your heart. Schnaus' melodies have a way of getting under your skin. They will remind of places you have been a long time ago. It's almost as if Schnaus were talking to the listener through music. Some of the songs are uplifting, others have a more classic "chill" sound. Either way, you are bound to find this CD intriguing and beautiful. It makes good listening in almost any context.

(Simeon Hein is the author of OPENING MINDS and PLANETARY INTELLIGENCE and composer of the CDs EARTH DREAMING and OPENING SKIES.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for driving., November 9, 2006
This CD is perfect for driving. The Downtempo/Beat Driven Ambient feel and overall togetherness of this CD is a perfect choice for easy electronic listening.

Overall very pleased with Mr. Schnauss' contribution to the genre.

Highly reccomended

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, October 15, 2004
Mr. Schnauss has done it again! Finally available in the states, "A Strangely Isolated Place" is a magical journey that you simply must take! I've been a fan of electronic music for ages and I simply can't stop gushing about Mr. Schnauss' work. I've heard comparisons that his sound is like an electronic U2...while I must say that a dubious comparison, it's not totally lacking in structure. If you took the emotions you'd feel listening to Bono belting it out on "With or Without You", you're coming close to what Schnauss has achieved here. He blends each track with the right amount of ambiance and gentle beats...the kicker is that while a lot of electronic music borders on repetition, Schnauss changes his beats and pacing several times throughout a song to create a "organic" feel, like that found on a U2 song! This is the perfect album to relax to, drive to, make love to, just about anything you can think of where you want to be transported from reality....wrap yourself in a blanket, dim those lights, pick your poision and let Mr. Schnauss take you to a very beautiful place! Couldn't come higher recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh breath of electronica, March 11, 2008
Ulirch Schnauss "A Strangely Isolated Place" is an outstanding work of electronica. It is really hard to put a finger on what you would call this type of electronica, as its a bit to soft to be classified as Trance or Techno, yet it has some pace and some movement to it so you really couldnt classfy it as lounge. I would almost say its a bit Ambient with a twist, with just the right amount of beats, that wont pound on our brain after a hard day, yet it still wont put you to sleep, as it is at times, very alive. What is so great about the album is that it has an incredable feel to it, something that is hard to achieve when you are taking about someone who is really creating music on a single synth or keyboard. The album comes alive like a 5 piece band, and it is a fresh breath of electronica, considering that the genere has seemed to fizzle a bit during the last ten years. I reccomend this to fans of all types of electronica, even to those that like hardcore, gabber, drum and bass, and Jungle. Even though its no where near as hard as those types, there are some fantasic beats and arrangements here. Enjoy the journey

A Strangely Isolated Place