Published on October 7, 2010 by Midwest Book Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt read
All the reviews were good. But I couldn't get into it. It seemed labored and I wasn't enjoying any of the characters. The writing didn't bring me along. Sorry I didn't like it as I was hoping for a new archaeological mystery series.
Published 13 months ago by landofoz

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Anna Evans writes with a mixture of scientific knowledge, including modern archaeological techniques, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Strangers (Faye Longchamp Series) (Paperback)
Mary Anna Evans is a bi-brained writer. Her areas of expertise include degrees in physics and engineering, but she prefers history and tales of the past. However, she does use her skills in working with teachers to use popular fiction as a vehicle to increase math and science skills. She is currently writing a book on math literacy with a projected publishing date of 2011.

Faye Longchamp and husband Joe Wolf Mantooth launch an archaeological consulting firm, and one of their first jobs lands them in historic St. Augustine, Florida. Dunkirk Manor is now a functioning bed and breakfast, but its history includes an unsolved murder of a Hollywood glamour girl who, it is rumored, was having an affair with the mansion's owner. But in the meantime, a current female employee of the manor disappears, and a very pregnant Faye Longchamp finds herself surrounded by overly-protective people on all sides, including the manor's current owners, her husband, and Detective Overstreet:

"Faye Longchamp-Mantooth sat in the car next to him, barely big enough to carry the child in her belly. Even when she wasn't pregnant, an average-sized man with no scruples could flatten her without half-trying. There was a reason that some policemen kept their own women on a short string, constricting their social circle and limiting their freedom to move around the world until there was really nothing in their lives but their husbands. It was sick and it was wrong, but Detective Overstreet could understand it."

Naturally one disappearing pregnant woman leads to another, and this time it is Faye's best friend and her daughter. Fortunately Joe is an exceptionally intelligent and savvy man who can come to the rescue. In the meantime, lots of interesting artifacts are turned up which shed light on the manor's history, including a diary written by a Spanish priest from 1565, contrasting with trinkets from the 1920's. Both history lines are fascinating.

Mary Anna Evans writes with a mixture of scientific knowledge, including modern archaeological techniques. But, even more importantly, she can tug our heartstrings.

Shelley Glodowski
Senior Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, April 7, 2013
I have enjoyed reading Mary Anna Evan's Faye Longchamp series! A well-written murder-mystery book focusing on southern landscape that will keep you coming back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another "don't want to put down until I finish" book from Ms. Evans!, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Strangers (Faye Longchamp Series) (Paperback)
I like this series so much. Mysteries and archaeology go together so well, I think. Faye Longchamp and her husband, Joe Mantooth, have started their own archaeological consulting business and, while awaiting the birth of their first child, are on a site in St. Augustine, Florida, to excavate the back property of an old mansion, now a luxurious bed and breakfast. The owners want to build a swimming pool; however, St. Augustine has strict laws about construction due to the amount of important artifacts found in the area, and, of course, it's historical significance in early America.As a result, Faye and Joe and their team, including Magda and her little daughter, Rachel, have been called in. The author has once again wound several mysteries into this story - the disappearance of a young assistant to the owners of the property, baby items found buried under tiles from an earlier swimming pool, a mentally challenged elderly man who "lives" on the property as a self-designated "protector", and the murder of a young movie star, a guest at the mansion during the early 1900's. Any more and I'll give away too much of the story so I'll stop by favorably comparing Ms Evans to Beverly Connor, one of my favorite mystery writers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt read, May 20, 2013
landofoz "emeraldcity_oz" (Colonial Heights, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers (Faye Longchamp Series) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and excellent weave of today and yesterday, April 22, 2013
I have enjoyed all of Mary Anna Evans' books, but this one really hooked me. It weaved what is happening in the world right now with drama from past. I love the characters and it reads easily and well. Her books send me back to the library to learn more about the historical events that are essential to the plot. It is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, March 15, 2013
All of the Longchamp books are fun reads. Especially fun if you enjoy getting a little history in your reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, February 27, 2013
I can not wait to read the next book to see what is next in this series. I love these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite so far in the Faye Longchamp series!, September 14, 2012
Lauralee Jenkins (Gatesville, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I got hooked when I read the first in the Faye Longchamp series, Artifacts. The mix of historical facts and intriguing mystery makes for a very enjoyable read.
The stately old Florida mansion is a perfect setting for the story in Strangers and Faye and Joe are once again tossed into the midst of mystery and murder. The 1565 diary of a priest that Faye finds in the dusty attic gives us a priceless look into the history of the founding of St. Augustine. Anyone who hasn't read this entire series should!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Read, August 2, 2012
***WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

After being slightly disappointed with the last in the Faye Longchamp mystery series, 'Floodgates', this book was back to the enjoyable kind of tale that makes this series such a delight.
The characters are lively and interesting and we get to catch up with Faye's mentor and friend, Magda.

I would have given it five stars if not for a couple of sticking points:
1) The character of Glynis' father was not fleshed out to its full potential. Early on we get a sense of forboding as to the ruthlessness of this man, but in the end it just peters out. I feel he could have been used to a much greater extent and quite possibly would have strengthened the story. The end of the book felt a bit rushed and cut off, which is not at all like the other Faye mysteries.

2) Sadly, I found myself becoming aggravated with Faye. She is such a strong, wonderful heroine and I have admired her pluck and intelligence throughout the series. However, her insistence on not taking care of herself, and therefore her unborn child, really got under my skin. Her irritation with Joe, Magda and others who expressed concern over her activities while hugely pregnant only ended up making me irritable with her. We have heard many times throughout the series how badly she wanted a child and now that she is so close to having that wish fulfilled, she seems to have taken leave of most of her common sense and refuses to exercise due caution. I don't know if this relates to her underlying worry about her and Joe's age difference and her realization that she is reaching middle age or what. Whatever the cause it detracted from the enjoyment of the story.
I understand that Faye is a physical character and the other books have centered around her being slim, fit, and ready for any adventure. If Ms. Evans needed to work the pregnancy into the book for the sake of the character's timeline, it would have made more sense for Faye to react more intellectually to the mystery at hand and had the other characters shoulder the burden of the physicality of it or perhaps have set this story in the very earliest stages of her pregnancy.

All in all, a good book with a wonderful progression of Faye and Joe's story, but with just a couple of drawbacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic setting, July 17, 2012
Joanne Clarke (Hurricane Central) - See all my reviews
I am familiar with St. Augustine and the setting was realistic enough that I kept wondering just where the house was located. It seems like you would take a left after crossing the Bridge of Lions, then drive down those little streets until they turn into sand covered limestone and peter out in front of little houses not much nicer than the ruin in which the old man lived. Then the mansion would be behind a garden wall, just out of sight. I also kept wondering what hours the mansion was open for tours. Pretty realistic.

Strangers (Faye Longchamp Series)
Strangers (Faye Longchamp Series) by Mary Anna Evans (Paperback - October 5, 2010)
$14.95 $12.04