Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Strategies for Teachers: Teaching Content and Thinking Skills (4th Edition)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on July 3, 2000
As a experienced middle school teacher (120 12 and 13 year olds per day), I have long understood the need for active teaching strategies in my own classroom; strategies that will engage kids, keep them active, teach content and help them to improve their thinking skills. As a workshop provider and teacher trainer, I have also come to understand the hunger teachers have for such strategies in their classrooms.
Strategies for Teachers: Teaching Content and Thinking Skills by Paul D. Eggen and Donald P. Kauchak is an important resource for those teachers of all levels who wish to expand their repertoire of active teaching strategies, and for those education professors who wish to introduce future teachers to engaging and exemplary teaching strategies that have a strong theoretical and research base.
Moving from a discussion of information processing models of teaching, teacher effectiveness research, and active teaching, Eggen and Kauchak guide their readers through various strategies of teaching: inductive, concept-attainment, inquiry-based, and cooperative learning strategies. While stressing the importance of the constructivist teaching models, Eggen and Kauchak also acknowledge the need for direct instruction models of teaching and have an excellent chapter on the lecture-discussion strategy.
For teachers of all levels and all stages of their career, the journey toward more active teaching is a powerful one. Strategies for Teachers: Teaching Content and Thinking Skills can be an important guidepost in that journey.
Michael M. Yell, 1998 National Social Studies Teacher of the Year
on August 15, 2014
Strategies and Models for Teachers essentially is a detailed guidebook and on the basics of teaching, learning, thinking, and offers many different models of teaching that each have specific advantages in specific educational situations. After the basics are covered in the first part of the book, each chapter therein is dedicated to a specific teaching model and gives exquisite detail on how to implement them, their advantages and disadvantages, and how they relate to the development of critical thinking, cognitive development, and active learning. There are plenty of practical examples to help illustrate the authors’ points, and the study questions at the end of each chapter will help you to formalize your knowledge base and solidify your understanding. This book certainly is teacher-centered and lays out all the educational options, allowing the teacher to choose dependent on what suits him or her best.

I think those who are actively teaching and would like to read about fresh new delivery methods would benefit the most from this text.

Generally I felt this book was written in plain language and very easy to read, but I thought that the repeated use of vignettes was excessive and diverted attention away from the main point that was reached much later.

I used this book as part of a graduate-level course on teaching and agree with other reviewers that it is useful, but I fail to understand why it costs more than $100 (or even $25). I would highly recommend borrowing or renting this book if these options are available to you. With such a high price, you will not get a lot of bang for your buck.
on January 15, 2012
I love this book! I like the way the book is organized. Lots of great ideas! This book is good for future and currrent teachers. You will not want to sell this book back, I didn't! Great book to have in your classroom library.
on December 20, 2012
This text is an amazing resource for both teachers and teachers in training. It details seven different models of classroom teaching in addition to containing three chapters on how to cultivate thinking skills in students. These three chapters may be the most important in the book. Cultivating thinking skills in our students will help them as they work through their entire lives. The seven models for classroom teaching supply ideas, methods, and suggestions for implementation in the classroom.

I would highly recommend it to all teachers and aspiring teachers because of its applicability in the classroom. It is good for spicing up instructional methodologies and for inculcating a desire to learn in your students!
on August 5, 2013
I needed this book for class, but it wound a being a very helpful resource! It really gets you thinking about different styles of teaching that you can implement in your classroom!
on December 10, 2013
I used this book so many times in writing lesson plans when I was getting my degree and doing my student teaching.
on March 17, 2014
Small book. Good content.

I purchased the ebook for my class and I enjoted the contenr so much I bought a hard copy. The book is very expensive for only ten chapters. I'm new edition will be out soon.
on February 5, 2015
Exactly what was listed. Good quality!
on June 28, 2009
Great service and item! He send the book right away and I got it just on time before my first day of class (got it in 4 days). Fast and very good item!!! Thank you I am VERY PLEASED! =)