5.0 out of 5 stars A clear and useful book to get things done...
Strategy Execution Heroes is so refreshingly different in many ways. I've read a fair few books on strategy in my time and was curious to see if this recent release by Jeroen De Flander had approached the subject any differently. I would say with a resounding `yes' that he has.

Published on February 2, 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Strategy Execution Heros
I was looking for a book to provide information on business strategy. This book falls totally short. It contained no useful information for me and is primarily a book promoting coaching services. If coaching services information is what you are looking for buy it. If you are looking for useful information on business strategy there are many better choices out there.
Published on November 27, 2010 by Robert B. Greenstone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear and useful book to get things done..., February 2, 2010
This review is from: Strategy Execution Heroes: Business Strategy Implementation and Strategic Management Demystified (Paperback)

It is never easy to demystify a subject such as Strategy Execution since, by its nature, it is wrapped up in jargon and complexity. But somehow he has succeeded; the clear structure, the straightforward tone written from the manager's point of view and a practical step-by-step approach backed up with tried and tested theory. He obviously knows the subject back-to-front and inside-out... but, while writing, he hasn't either assumed any prior knowledge on the part of the reader or simplified it too much. It really strikes the bulls-eye for readers with all different levels of knowledge... never an easy task! I think that those readers with greater strategy implementation experience will benefit as much as the next person partly thanks also to the valuable input from the very impressive list of contributors.

I have already read this book from start to finish and have now started to re-read those chapters than I found most relevant to me and my colleagues. This book is like a great film - the more you times you look at it, the more you get out of it.

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone - those with a mere curiosity in strategy implementation or those that think they have already read it all. Either way you will finish it with a whole lot more knowledge and understanding than you had before... and all the tools you need to turn strategy into performance!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great practical resource for leaders, February 2, 2010
Strategy Execution Heroes is the best book on strategy implementation I've ever read, and it may even be the best book ever written on the subject.

Here's why:

1. It's practical. Most books on strategy spend the first 50 pages repeating what's already been written while adding more theory to the theory! If you're lucky you might glean a few tips that apply to your job. This book is the exact opposite. It has more useful tips in one chapter than you would find in the whole of most management books.

2. Contributions by experts. It's rare to be able to get so up close and personal and read about top strategists' views on implementing strategy as you can in this book.

3. If you're new to books of this ilk, you'll really appreciate a lot of the how-to material offered here. If you're a pro, you'll appreciate the more advanced material that explains how to go that one step further.

4. The downloads are very useful. Some (such as the training module on strategy communication (download 5) and the workshop format to define the future capabilities for your team, department or organisation (download 25) are more content driven than others offering structure and measurement. I've already used several from the two categories and, for me, those alone are worth the investment.

One thing missing in the book is practical advice on the Balanced Scorecard. For me, that should be the centrepiece of any book about execution. De Flander does indicate that he and the team had to make choices about what to put in and what not. And I understand that. But leaving it out is a great pity - I would have really loved to read his take on it, especially as I see that he was the business line manager for Arthur D. Little. Maybe in his next book!

Apart from this, the book as it stands is an outright success and one I'll be recommending to colleagues, clients, and anyone else who will listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive collection of practical tips gathered in a single book on Strategy Execution, February 2, 2010
I think Strategy Execution Heroes is an excellent resource for anyone with an interest in strategy and its implementation. If you are looking for practical, tried and tested tips but don't want to wade through 10 other books to find them, this book is the answer.

Author Jeroen De Flander obviously gained a wealth of experience at Arthur D. Little which he has managed to package up and deliver in an incredibly clear and succinct way in his book. He has also surrounded himself with an impressive team of experts and executives who provide insights from their own experience that I haven't found in any other book I have read on the subject.

I must admit to having had a couple of small reservations when I started reading it. I thought it might lack detail and repeat content from Execution (also a great book by the way) by Charan and Bossidy. But these fears were completely unfounded. The detail is undoubtedly there and is even expanded upon with the use of practical examples - and this is what makes it so refreshingly different from other books I have read on the subject. In fact, it is so comprehensive, that someone completely new to the subject could finish the book having gained an excellent overall understanding and appreciation.
I'm convinced that this book will help everyone from students to experienced leaders. And if I've not convinced you yet, check out the Strategy Execution Heroes' website with a wealth of free content. If you like what you read there, you'll love the book. Invest a few pounds and a few hours reading it and I firmly believe it will boost your execution skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 4-star rating for a 5-star book, February 7, 2010
As I sit here and write, I wonder whether to give this book a 4 or 5-star rating. I finally decide to go for the four stars. Not that I think that this isn't a 5-star book. But there is a missing element: a chapter on the balanced scorecard. Besides this serious flaw, it's simply a superb book about strategy and it's execution that got me hooked from the introduction onwards.

De Flander introduces you to strategy execution and the important role a manager has to play in the first two chapters. Chapter 3 to 8 help you improve your execution skills. Each of these six chapters is devoted to a different execution skill and you quickly see why this is a very practical book. The book packs an enormous amount of tips and insights. Each tip is clearly explained. For the more complex topics, De Flander added the typical mistakes that are made. Each chapter has several interesting downloads that help you go into action modus. Each chapter concludes with a practical summary.

By the end of the book, I had a long action list and the motivation to become an execution hero myself.
I highly recommend this book to all professionals. It does not matter if you are a manager, a consultant, a trainer or MBA student. This book offers so many insights you can pick and chose those that will help you accomplish your goals. Just be aware there is nothing in the book that will help you with building your Balanced Scorecard.

My advice: read Strategy Execution Heroes sooner rather than later. You will be quite glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars No employee should be without it..., February 3, 2010
No employee should be without it...

I believe that everyone in my company would benefit from reading this book. For those who don't work at a managerial level, it would give them a far greater understanding of the challenges that managers face and how those challenges evolve from a strategy level to one of performance - in short, how things get done. And I think also that all managers at all levels (of the hierarchy and of experience) could take something from this book into their daily working lives and help make their strategy implementation more successful.

Strategy Execution Heroes is definitely not one of those management books that will gather dust on my bookshelf - in fact, I've already cleared a permanent space for it on my desk so that it will never be far from reach. I think this book should be an indispensable part of the furniture in many a manager's office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Strategy Execution Heroes, March 1, 2010
As delivery manager, I'm every day engaged in strategy execution. Busy as most of us are, we have to be selective in which books we read and which books we leave on the store shelf.

The first what I like about this book is the ease of reading it. It is written in such a way that you will be half way through before you notice.

The second part what I like about this book is that it is very practical and directly applicable for your daily tasks. You will find it being a good summary of many years of practical experience, with people in the same situation as yourself.

I did not have the time yet to go through all the linked material, but find the concept very useful. Without doubt this book will not stay on my shelf, it will become part of my job as a practical reference.

The only risk which I see, is that De Flander will fast bring out a second book as many will be looking forward to this. I advice to take his time to capture more input and experience, before being tended to start his second book. I'm sure this book will accelerate the experience and input. Looking forward, to be continued.

Karl Vandebroek
Delivery Manager
SAP Belgium - Luxembourg

5.0 out of 5 stars "Here's the Beef", June 7, 2010
Metaworld (Midlothian, VA USA) - See all my reviews
"This book is PACKED with information regarding execution. It contains information on what to do, why do it, how to do it, and when to do it. In addition to hundreds of tips, it also provides access to helpful downloads. Unlike some other books that contain way too many examples and testimonials, this book is the answer to the famous question of "where's the beef?" I have never said this before about a book, but this one is way under priced!
I am an experienced Organization Development consultant with an MSOD degree and SPHR certification."

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with practical tips to get the job done, February 3, 2010
Andrew Goldberg (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This book takes the Strategy Execution bull by the horns and illustrates how you should tackle it head on. Out go complex theories and in come real, practical ground-level advice complete with tips of the trade, all backed up by a series of downloads. I am very impressed with Strategy Execution Heroes - I will definitely be recommending it to my colleagues - with the suggestion that they bookmark the chapter on strategy communication!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Strategy, December 1, 2010
"This book is a compelling read that drives right to the heart of successful and flawless strategy execution. Many other strategy books float in the clouds of organizational theory, but this is what we really need - practical, specific and hard-hitting direction and real-life advice" Jeffrey Stephen Kehoe - Regional Head Bancassurance Asia - AXA

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff .... for managers, September 23, 2010
A powerfull book. Packed with practice & theory based knowledge. Very exhaustive and clever presented. A real treat. Sexy stuff. It misses for me one dimension: I find that more and more organisations struggle with the leadership role: leaders can no longer count on their management competencies (setting objectives, allocating resources, plannning, following up) to make their organisations work. Hence more and more research and theories on authenticity, holism, systemic approach, shared leadership, working from the future as it emerges. These growing insights could complement very well with this book. Nevertheless, strategy execution heroes is a must read for all (senior) managers that want to get a grip on their strategic impact.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

$19.95 $17.96
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies