Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on April 8, 2003
I got to curl up with my five-year-old daughter last night and watch this DVD with her, something she has been begging me to do since I brought it home for her the other day. I myself was never a big fan of the original, but my daughters both love all things sticky-sweet! And this filled the bill.

Strawberry Shortcake has never been strong on story line, and apparently never will be judging by this new version. It's basically a silly story about two sisters, (one a baby!) who live in a world completely devoid of adults. They decide to celebrate Apple Dumpling's birthday, (this being the baby sister) and set off to journey around their strange child-world looking for things they will need- cake, cookies, juice, ect. And surprise- they make many new friends along the way!

The things I like- the animation is lovely and colorful, the interaction between Strawberry Shortcake and her baby sister is great- every mother's unrealized dream for their sibling children. (Too bad they don't have one to appreciate it!)

The things I don't like- her horrible cat, Custard. Her puppy can't talk, and you'll quickly wish this rude cat couldn't, either. And of course, a little story line improvement wouldn't hurt!

Still, I have to give it four stars because Strawberry Shortcake never claims to be more than it is, which is the purest form of entertainment for little girls. Nothing more, nothing less! My daughter was completely captivated, giggling and glowing through the entire program- which was at least her fifth or sixth viewing. She especially loves Pupcake, the little blue puppy that is always getting into trouble. I smiled a lot too, but mostly at my ridiculously happy daughter!
on October 9, 2003
My daughter just started taking an interest in Strawberry Shortcake after we purchased a SSC book for her. We gave her this DVD for her 3rd birthday and she has watched it countless times since!
This adorable DVD introduces Strawberry Shortcake and her friends to new SSC fans. Pupcake, Custard, Ginger Snap, Angel Cake, Orange Blossom and Huckleberry Pie are introduced in this story as Strawberry goes on a hunt for treats for her sister Apple Dumpling's bday. She meets Ginger, Angel, Orange and Huckleberry along the way.
My daughter and her big brother enjoy watching this DVD with its colorful and bright visuals, bouncy songs, cheerful characters (excepting Custard, that is) and themes of friendship and helping one another. As a parent, I give it two thumbs up!! The only complaint I may have would be the portrayal of Custard as a grumpy, whiny little cat but at least by the end she learns to appreciate differences in others. And why does Custard talk but Pupcake doesn't? Anyway, my kids love the show so - my curiosity aside - in the end this is all that really matters.
on September 26, 2014
This is when we first meet Strawberry Shortcake and all her friends. Original movie not the computer animated ones. My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake as much as I did when I was her age. She can't get enough of the characters. Cute movie.
on April 7, 2003
I was a huge fan of strawberry shortcake when I was a little girl and when I found out that she was coming back out I was just so excited. I bought the DVD for my god-daughter and she loves it. She knows all strawberry shortcakes friends and just adores her little sister apple dumplin and the cutest thing is that the DVD actually smells like strawberries. This was the best gift I have gotten her in a long time and I just love watching it with her and singing along to all the cute songs. I recommend this to any strawberry shortcake fan out there.
on December 24, 2003
This is a great movie to watch with your little girl. I love the moral of the story. Strawberry World is kind of like walking through Candyland. It's very nice that when Strawberry Shortcake meets a new friend they have a theme song. My only complaint would be the rude and grumpy cat Custard. Pupcake tries to play with her and she acts like a snob. This is a yummy movie and can't wait to watch the others with my daughter!
on August 27, 2003
This DVD is berry, berry good. I loved it.
Strawberry Shortcake's little sister,Apple Dumplin,is having a birthday today!So they need to go out and get some cookies, a cake, fruit, juice and party hats.First she needs to go to Cookie Corners to get the cookies 'cause there's not a better place to get cookies than Cookie Corners,because of Ginger Snap's amazing cookie-making machine.They also go to Angel Cake's cake shop,Orange Blossom's...oh I forget the name of it,and they meet Honeypie.And they stop at one more place to get some party hats.After they get everything...its time to have the party! Its time to have the party! Its time to have the party!And they invite all of their new friends.The End.
A Bonus: Here is something you never would have expected ,the DVD case smells like strawberries.
VINE VOICEon July 22, 2004
My 6-year-old, like many these days, has a fine collection of videos. Some of these we can watch and enjoy together. Not so with "Strawberry Shortcake," but that's not a problem. Fact is, this introduction to Strawberry, little sister Apple Dumpling, friends Ginger Snap, Angel Cake, etc., and her pets Pupcake and Custard, is as sweet as the characters' names suggests, and everything is aimed at the level of the pre-gradeschool set. It shows these characters working together and solving problems even when they occasionally disagree. It also has a bouncy musical track and a music video after the end titles.

OK, so the animation is the cheapo kind that the aficianado will carp about. OK, so the plot is silly and the characters one-dimensional. It reaches its audience nicely, tells a positive story, and, frankly, creates a desire for tied-in merchandise. What else is new? My daughter loves it and yours probably will too.
on March 2, 2005
This is a cute movie as are all her movies -the singing is adorable, and rather catchy, I find myself humming a tune or 2 while it is playing. If you're a Strawberry fan-this is a must have for the collection.
on May 8, 2003
We have both of the episodes that are out now! My 3 year old loves her Strawberry Shortcake. It is about Strawberry Shortcake and her sister Apple Dumplin who is having her first birthday and they have to go on a fun filled trip to buy all the things that they will need for her birthday party! They go to the cookie shop and help make her cake and meet Orange Blossom and all kinds of new friends! This movie is wonderful! I bought it at first because I used to be a big fan of Strawberry Shortcake as a child when this first came out and I was hoping that she would enjoy it as much as I did as a child. It has very cute songs that my child sings along with it throughtout the movie as well too. Strawberry Shortcake is her favorite character now besides the Care Bears and Barbie, but Strawberry is definitely her number one favorite and her 14 month old sister enjoys both movies as well too. I recommend this movie and the other one for anyone who loves Strawberry Shortcake! I also recommend the Care Bears who are now back as well too to anyone who loves them or has children who love them too. The Care Bears movies she really enjoys as well too even though some people have complained about the evil characters in them and neither one of kids find them a bit scary!
on October 29, 2003
My sister bought my 2 1/2 year old daughter a strawberry shortcake doll and this video. I would have never thought that she would take to this the way she has. She adores strawberry and has a smile on her face during the entire video. I have to admit I like it too and I love the cute little songs! I am not a 'girls girl' and I swore I would never buy my daughters barbie dolls. I think this is the cutest video and I am as enamored with SS as my daughter is. I am searching the web to find SS clothes for her with no luck. I am a new fan and never knew the old SS. Can't wait to get her SS items for Christmas presents.