5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?
Published on November 2, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars More butterflies and rainbows
Published on July 22, 2004 by Brian Hulett

3.0 out of 5 stars More butterflies and rainbows, July 22, 2004
This review is from: Strawberry Shortcake - Spring For Strawberry Shortcake (DVD)
It's all about being a little girl. My 6-year-old likes this tape just fine, but not as well as the "Meet Strawberry Shortcake" that kicked off the new series and new product line of related merchandise. It's wintertime and Strawberry must find Spring, who winds up looking like a redheaded Tinkerbell. Grouchy old Custard the cat still has to be coerced into enjoying herself, everybody still lives on sugar, and it's all very colorful and sweet. Kid stuff, sure, and beats the socks off negative stuff like "Rugrats."

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, November 2, 2003
By A Customer
Not only do we own this DVD, but we own the other three that are currently out as well. We also have every Strawberry Shortcake book, too. My two daughters, ages 3 and 4 1/2, love everything about Strawberry Shortcake and honestly, I guess I do, too. I catch myself humming the Strawberry Shortcake theme around the house even when we don't have the DVD playing. All of the DVDs and books are sweet. I do appreciate the gentle tone of all the Strawberry Shortcake DVDs and books. There isn't any name calling----something that is prevalent in so many videos now. Having never seen the 80s version of Strawberry Shortcake---I can't compare that to this up-dated version. I do know that when my girls ask to watch this DVD, I never say no. There isn't a little girl in our neighborhood who isn't hooked on Strawberry Shortcake (and their moms are hooked, too!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Movie!, March 15, 2003
By A Customer
I bought this one and "Meet Strawberry Shortcake" and my girls have not stopped watching them! They seem to love the songs, and it must be stimulating because as soon as the movie ends, they rewind immediately. The tapes come in a beautiful and very decorated Strawberry Shortcake pink hard plastic case, and you know what's cool? When you first open the tape cases up, a very pleasent strawberry scent will tickle your nose!! I bought 2 sets- one set will be for collecting purposes. Buy these- they are good, clean entertainment! (and they smell good too!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Children of the 1980s Unite, March 14, 2003
L. Hale (Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
Strawberry Shortcake is cute... cute beyond belief... cute to the point of sickening. If you are a child of the 1980s and watched this show, you need to own it for the memories alone. It has a happy feel good message that a lot of current shows are lacking. There is a complete absence of violence. It is a nice change of pace from pap like Pokemon and Sailor Moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berry sweet!, March 17, 2003
This is a cute DVD, something that wasn't mentioned, is that the DVD is berry scented!!! I giggled all over the place when I opened up the DVD, and the sweet smell of strawberry land filled my head! It's a cute story, a new updated theme song, and all the strawberry fun you could ask for!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright but its not the same..., May 4, 2003
I don't like remakes of good shows. Except the Alvin and the Chipmunks(80's version)! This remake of Strawberry Shortcake is cute but I'd prefer the original 100%. Ya can't beat the classics. I don't like the new version of Scooby Doo either. This version lacks the Charm that made me fall in love with the original.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sad Reproduction, April 24, 2003
By A Customer
If you are a true child of the 80's and want to buy this DVD to relive the memories, DON'T DO IT! It's nothing like the original. Not only do the characters look different, but they sound different, the songs aren't as catchy as it used to be and...it's just a very sad reproduction. I find it somewhat sacriligious to remake something that was excellant to begin with, not only that but to try to create something that was made in a totally different time. I feel that even though this particular DVD isn't lacking any morals it still lacks the qualities to make it the "can't eat just one" dvd of its time. I wish that the company would seriously consider re-releasing the originals and letting the public see how much better the orignals are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well-crafted music, May 8, 2011
I'm creating a review just to say that the musical numbers in this video are surprisingly well done. Andy Street is credited as the songwriter, and he did a good job.

* "Springtime" is in 3/4 time and features a medieval-esque woodwind melody. It's a lovely, childlike little number that captures the innocence of early childhood and springtime at once.

* "Why Don't We Work Together" reminds me of a marching song. It has fun key changes and harmonies, and has other cast members gradually joining Strawberry as she inspires them. And is that a harpsichord in the background?? It is!

* "We're Jammin'" is a reggae-style song with drums. Listen for the key change, the a capella phrases, and the the joyful ending!

* "I Put the Zing in Spring" is a fast little song with leaps around the octave, lots of diction, fun to sing. I find myself humming it to myself -- "ice is nice but green's supreme"!

* A bonus song after the show is Gingersnap singing about snapping her fingers. It's almost like a Gilbert & Sullivan patter song.

Because of the music, I would far rather listen to this video all day than any of the other lackluster children's videos in our collection. Thanks, Andy Street and other associated music makers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some of the other Strawberry videos..., August 22, 2006
Renata (Troy, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This Strawberry Shortcake video was just "okay." The story about finding "Spring" did not intrigue my daughters (ages 2 and 3) as much as some of the other videos... We also own Moonlight Mysteries, Seaberry Beach, and World of Friends. My kids much prefer the other videos, and in that order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent for all my children, July 10, 2003
My mom bought this for my kids the other day and they have watched nothing else since they got it. It has cute and catchy songs through the whole thing and it keeps their interest through the entire movie. it also has an extra music video in it, even my 9 month old pays attention to the movie. i think its really cute that the dvd and case also smell like strawberries. i would highly recommend this to any parent

ARRAY(0x958d330c)