Published on October 19, 2012 by J. Riley

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but . . .
I can't recommend it to many friends due to the level of detailed description of physical intimacy. While the mention of the intimacy is important to the plot of the story, the amount of detail used to describe things was not, in my opinion, necessary to the story itself.

Had it not been for that, I would rate this with 5 stars. I started reading it last...
Published 18 months ago by Velgamom

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me back to my own heady, bittersweet seventeenth summer, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
I absolutely fell in love with Laurel Lake and want to move there! I'm a sucker for coming-of-age tales that trace the lives of close friends from their teen years into adulthood, and Lee Adams doesn't disappoint. The plot largely pivots on one misguided act of betrayal and the resulting fallout, which puts an end to a seemingly idyllic summer. Happily, that lost innocence and love is rediscovered, and Adams ties things up with a satisfying ending. The memorable cast of characters features people you'd want to be friends with in real life-- authentic, likeable, and sympathetic. You connect with them on such an emotional level and care deeply about their fates. They were all difficult to forget after I closed the book. There's also quite a twist at the end. Bravo to Lee Adams for an engrossing, well-told story! I'm eager to see what she writes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite author, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
I was so pleasantly surprised to find another book written by Lee Adams. I had happened upon her book "Donor Girl" when a friend was undergoing an organ transplant and loved Ms. Adams writing style. This new one "Strawberry Wine" did not disappoint. On the contrary, it immediately drew me into the storyline. It was a page turner for me as I reminisced along with the characters of their days in adolescence. Lee weaves humor, suspense and love artfully throughout as she develops characters who become so real to us all as we journey alongside them. I have purchased copies for birthday gifts for my girlfriends this Fall, It is my hope that Ms. Adams is a prolific writer as she has left me eagerly anticipating her next novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It started out slow for me. At first I felt like I was reading a journal instead of experiencing a story. Eventually, I got so involved with the story, that I overcame that. The first part of the book was Tayna's teenage years and experience and the second part was her adult life. At times, I felt like telling Tayna to get over the past, the world does not revolve around you. I liked all the characters, but there were times I did not believe Michael would share his feelings the way he did. I liked Tanny, but again there were times that I did not feel she would handle things the way she did. All in all, I liked the book and recommend reading it. I don't know what genre this falls under, but I would probably consider it Young Adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now and Then., June 26, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
Strawberry Wine is a NA/Adult novel with a splash of YA intermixed as the story focuses on both present day and the not-so-distant past. Revolving around Tanya, a 27ish, put together, self-made music promoter, readers are instantly drawn into her life as the novel opens with the death of her estranged friend Marie, a girl Tanya only knew for one summer during her high school years, a summer that for her is impossible to forget; a summer that changed everything. Almost instantly, the novel jumps from present to past, allowing readers to live through the events of that summer as Tanya begins to fall for Michael, explore the deeper recesses of love, and become friends with Marie, the quiet girl with abusive step-relatives. What starts off cute and carefree, turns jarring and sinister as the summer progresses, and everything abruptly comes to a halt when a few drunken decisions change everything for Tanya and Marie.

Here, the novel once again jumps back to the present, and it is also here that Adams sends readers a curveball, one I never saw coming, but in retrospect, should have. With the death of Marie, Tanya’s entire world is upended, altering the course of her world, should she so accept it, and in doing so, allowing her to go back to those carefree summer days and claim what she lost. It’s a beautiful tale, and I thoroughly enjoyed that present to past to present narration—it’s not back and forth, but steady, almost like a circular novel, but continuing on once it comes full circle to give readers deeper insight into current events.

From carefree to brokenhearted, from on top of the world to uncertain, from safe to vulnerable, this novel spans the gamut of emotions, and they’re a very tangible aspect of the novel. Although the story itself sometimes flows a bit clipped in terms of transitions, it’s well done just the same, and as surprise and fear edge their way into the story, so does the reliance on God—though not preachy. I wouldn’t say this is a religious novel by any means, but when faced with a bad situation, as Tanya finds herself in after the death of Marie, one does tend to rely more on God. For me, this was all a bit sudden, but understandable as the plot thickens, lives are threatened, and a sinister danger lurks on the horizon.

It is said that we write what we know, and Adams definitely does this in that Tanya is a music promoter, as is Lee, and a deadly kidney complication comes in to play—something Adams has also dealt with as a donor. Although fiction, Adams’ own personal experiences come through in the novel, adding validity and giving the novel extreme realism, which is an aspect I highly enjoy in my stories. Overall, this is a very well-done novel—and if you’re looking for an alluring summer read, I highly suggest adding Strawberry Wine to your reading pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOILER ALERT I received a copy of this book through Goodreads, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
I received a copy of Strawberry Wine through a giveaway at Goodreads, and the generosity of the author Lee Adams.

I found this book entertaining and very informative about kidney disease and transplant awareness. I loved that this was based at the lake...and I could relive memories of my own through the characters (Tanya POV, Michael, Tanny, Marie) I never had summer experiences that lead to this extent of human issues. I really enjoyed moments

(SPOILER ALERT)

When POV (Tanya) befriended Marie, by continuing to invite her along with the original lake group...when she would be jealous in ways because of her sensing a 'spark' between Michael and Marie. This enriched and made characters become real for me. I loved Tanny's letter to her mother.

I found Michael to be written as a female would see a male... but not actually how men act. I have never seen a male ever in real life that would apologize for sexual encounters of any kind no matter who it hurt. I felt the letter he wrote to POV not manly at all...again how it would be if written by a female. I did see strong and believable character portrayal when 'He' felt betrayed when POV didn't tell him of possibility of Tanny being his child.

The characters Paul was not really developed enough for me. Other than being the 'friend' who was gay and now lived in California with his boyfriend.

I really enjoyed this book and would HIGHLY recommend it to readers from early teens to mature readers. A great summer read! Thanks again to Lee Adams for her time and consideration in sharing this story with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel!, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
Strawberry Wine has every emotion and pulls the heartstrings. The beginning reminded me of high school, my friends and yes we drank Strawberry wine as well. I enjoyed it so much that I hope there will be sequel with a wedding. I will recommend this book to my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner!, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
This was my favorite of Lee Adam's books so far. This book reminded me of a Jodi Picoult novel tackling tough topics like homosexuality and rape but also a Nicolas Sparks romance as well. This book was a page turner for me like her others. I couldn't put it down. I was surprised by the twists in the novel but I won't give that away. It would be neat to get a sequel to see what happens next!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would love to see a sequel, February 19, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this story line and all of the characters in this book. I hope someday we will see a follow up on all of the characters and Laurel Lake, it was another book that I could not put down until I finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strawberry Wine is great!, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Paperback)
I remember when I met Lee and she asked what I was reading on our flight. Knowing that I like a good book with a genuine plot and some romance she recommended Strawberry Wine. I loved it. If romance is not your cup of tea, I still think you should read it. I felt transported and if I met Tanya in real life we would be best friends.

This book is a quick read that allows the reader to forget about reality for awhile and live in someone else's shoes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read!, December 7, 2013
This review is from: Strawberry Wine (Kindle Edition)
Because I grew up in this area, I thoroughly enjoyed the setting of this novel. This is a great summer beach read! About 60% into the novel, just when I thought it was becoming predictable - surprise! I loved it!

Strawberry Wine
Strawberry Wine by Lilli D Adams (Paperback - October 1, 2012)
Used & New from: $24.99