Streamlight 44900 Waypoint Spotlight with 12V DC Power Cord, Yellow
Style Name: 12V DC ChargerColor: YellowChange
Price:$54.22+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 14, 2010
I was looking for a small powerful spotlight for use on my boat and this one is almost perfect. 210 lumen does not sound very impressive for a spotlight but the reflector is very deep and the resulting beam is very tight, very bright and has an amazingly long throw. (Streamlight claims a distance of over 2000 feet.) On high power it does a great job picking out boats at the far end of the mooring field and lighting up channel markers from hundreds of yards away. The low power beam is about as bright as a normal 3 cell flashlight.

The negatives I have found are:
1) It uses C cell batteries which are an extra type to store on the boat.
2) This light really should have a medium power setting because of the over 10X difference between the stun and vaporize settings.
3) Almost everyone who sees it wants to play with it.

Not an issue with the product but Amazon's title for it says "with 12V DC Charge Cord". It is NOT a charge cord it is a power cord. The cord powers the light. It does not charge the batteries.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
PROS: My last rechargeable spotlight (Chinese cr*p) my wife purchased as a present lasted only 6 weeks and since that time I had done a lot of research for a replacement including a couple tests with Stanley HID and LED spotlights.

As most know, there are a number of factors which influence the output of a spotlight and is something I don't have time to get into. But, there are many resources out there to use in research. In my case, I wanted the long throw of a high power HID in a practical and easy to use form factor for use aboard my boat. I had tried the Stanley 35 watt HID, and while it throws out a lot of light it proved to be top heavy and of questionable overall quality.

However, as with any Streamlight product, the design quality is unquestionable as their products are used in safety and industrial applications. And, the Waypoint is no exception. It has exceeded my expectations in terms of quality and performance and I could not be more pleased with the product.

Light output: This is difficult, but I've estimated maximum practical distance to be around 300 yards (measured) where a 3 foot object can be easily seen with a 30-40 foot diameter beam width.

The Waypoint performs, in my opinion, every bit as well as a high quality HID within this price range. From its form factor, weight, balance, and it Li-ion battery, the Waypoint can't be beat.

CONS: Some may say the price is a bit high, but after owning it awhile, you'll come to realize it's money well spent.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had the Streamlight 44900 spotlight just over a month, using it mainly when walking my dogs when it's dark outside, but also occasionally for extra light when doing household repairs. I bought it to replace my Stanley 12v rechargeable halogen spotlight, which has terrible battery life (five minutes at best before dying - a real waste of money that was).

My first reaction when opening the Streamlight's box was that it was smaller than expected, and it felt very lightweight. However, with the batteries installed, it feels more substantial, of course.

I have used the Streamlight for at least 10 minutes daily so far, so that's a total of over 300 minutes, and it's still on the first set of alkaline batteries, and as bright as every. I like the click-stop stand that is incorporated into the design, which comes in handy when I want to rest the lamp down to attend to some task using both hands. The beam is excellent - not quite as bright as the Stanley (when it was working perfectly) - very white, and concentrated. It easily picks out trees and other objects a quarter of a mile away, which is ideal for me keeping an eye on three active dogs in our very large yard (over 3 acres). I bought it as a search aid just in case a dog breaks out of the invisible fence and takes to the woods surrounding our home - the Streamlight seems perfect for this purpose.

I can't say how long the batteries, bulb or casing will last, because it's so new, but so far, I am very happy with it, and would happily recommend it to family and friends.

Update December 2011 - this flashlight is still working perfectly, after daily use, and I am only recently onto my second set of batteries. It is one of my better purchases in recent years! Well done for an excellent product that does everything its makers claim. 10/10

Update June 2012 - still working perfectly. This flashlight is still used daily. Battery life and beam quality are excellent. Still on original bulb, too!

Update October 2013 - still working perfectly. Still on original bulb. Great battery life. Used most nights for 10-15 minutes when walking my dogs. No deterioration in the casing. Used in all weathers! Batteries last several months when used this amount. Very impressed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2013
For the past five years or so, I have used a spotlight every night while I'm letting out my dogs in the back yard, first, to make sure the yard is free of critters (skunks mostly) or to find which corner they are hiding in when they don't feel like coming in just yet (the dogs, not the skunks). This means that while I never use it for periods more than a couple of minutes at a time, I use it multiple times a night, pretty much every night. The reason I bought this spotlight, was because I had been through several Vector & QBeam 3-million candle power spotlights all eventually failing around the six month mark. Typically the battery stops holding a charge and I am stuck having to fully recharge them nightly on a nightly basis. Purchasing new batteries for them is just as costly as new ones. So, with some trepidation I shelled out for this spotlight.

When my Waypoint arrived, I looked at the package and was instantly disappointed by how small it was, thinking I had just wasted ~$100. Well, I could not have been more wrong. The size makes it lighter and easier to use than those other models, the locking trigger makes it a lot more comfortable to carry (other spotlights require continuously holding down the trigger) and it is brighter than those other models which rate the light they produce in candlepower vs. lumens.

Most importantly, twelve months later, I can happily report that I am still using it, it still holds a charge for long periods of time, and I am as completely impressed with it now as the first day I used it. There's no doubt in my mind that it is worth the extra money I spent.
on December 4, 2012
When I read the review for this spotlight, I could see that it was tailored for boating. While I used to do a good bit of boating, I was more interested in a light that I could use on our small horse farm: something that could pick out details at the far end of a three acre horse paddock.

This light fits the bill.

I've purchased a number of spotlights and searchlights over the years, and what I was looking for was a portable light that I didn't have to worry about recharging with a transformer type charging cord. I had previously purchased a spotlight that could be recharged with AC power, but it was a good bit heavier and stopped working after just a few months. I was unable to determine if it was the battery or the bulb because it didn't appear that a replacement for either was easily obtainable (if at all). I bought a similar light made by Stanley, that did require a dedicated DC cord for recharging, but unfortunately that light stopped working within just a few weeks for no apparent reason.

I decided to try this light even though it isn't rechargeable.

While this light can't be recharged at all (you either have to use the 12V power cord or four C batteries), the light output is tremendous. The main light is pretty tightly focused, but there's no problem illuminating an object 400' away. There's enough ambient spill to make it useful for chores around the place at night, but it shouldn't be confused with a searchlight or general use flashlight. I've also used the lower intensity setting and would compare it to a good 4 D cell Maglite at that setting. I also own one of the larger (and heavier) Streamlight "Litebox" units, but I find myself grabbing this light more often because it's so lightweight yet powerful. Even with the C batteries loaded, it's no strain to carry and the lanyard is convenient for when you don't need to aim the light, but need both hands.

It appears to be well built and I'll update this review in the future to provide feedback on durability. For now, for the price, I recommend this spotlight.

UPDATE September 17, 2013: I've had this spotlight for going on ten months now and, as the sun sets earlier each day, thought I'd update my review. I continue to be satisfied with the light. Of course, I didn't use it as much during the summer with longer daylight hours, but I did use it some. Last winter and spring I'd estimate that I used if for a few minutes (checking on horses, etc.) two or three times a week and I continue to be pleased by the light weight, excellent illumination at a distance, and durability. I've installed the holder next to the garage door, just on the inside wall, where it's handy for me to grab on my way out.

Battery Life: While I haven't used it for hours on end, I have used it enough to compare it to the rechargeable models I've used in the past. With those models I would have needed to recharge the unit at least three or four times since last December. With this little spotlight, I'm still operating on the 4 C Batteries I installed when I first purchased the light (batteries sold separately).

UPDATE December 3, 2014: This past year I've used this spotlight for longer periods of time and performance and battery life continue to be outstanding. It's lightweight, powerful and just what is needed when you're concerned about clarity at a distance of 100 to 300 yards.

Excellent spotlight - highly recommended.
on October 1, 2012
Streamlight Wavepoint Spot light
I was intrigued by the press release from Streamlight describing their new Spot light. I could not wait to test it and I was not disappointed in it. The spot light has a polycarbonate housing a rubberized lens protector and a pistol group handle. There are also two attachment points where you can attach a sling to it.
The Wavepoint Spot Light is water proof to IPX 8 standards which means it is certified to be water proof. The manufacturer says the unit floats although I have not tested that feature.
The Spotlight fully charges in four hours and the run time on high is five hours. Emergency mode is thirty five hours, and low fifty hours. That is a long run time even in high. The battery is Lithium ION and the manufacturer says you can recharge the battery 800 hundred times which is equates to 2 ½ years of daily charging.
The light output is 80,000 candela and 300 lumens on high. I tried it outside and it truly was impressive in lighting the whole area. To operate the flashlight the user can turn the three position rotary switch to either high, emergency strobe, or low and then press the trigger button on the handle. Streamlight states that the trigger switch is for momentarily turning the unit on or off.

I found carrying the spotlight easy and it is designed to be balanced and not fatiguing. I can say Streamlight has done a great job in that respect. A lot of LED flashlights after a few minutes the case of the spotlight gets warm to the touch, I did not encounter that while using the Wavepoint spot light.

The spotlight has a built in stand so you can aim the light to where it is needed. The unit weighs 1.52 pounds and as I stated earlier the unit is very well balanced and the weight is distributed which makes it easy to carry.
The unit comes in with an AC charger and a mounting bracket. My only wish is that it came with a car charger as well.
If you looking for a light weight and waterproof spotlight. The Streamlight Waypoint will fit your need.
The Waypoint retails for $ 200.00
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2010
I was very please with the product. I was concerned it would only shine a very limited beam. But there is plenty of peripheral light. It is sufficiently bright. It is very light weight. I would recommend for home security, hunting, emergency and many other uses. GREAT PRODUCT.
on May 13, 2014
I live way out in the country on a 50-acre ranch. The area around the houses and outbuildings is at least 2-acres. On a moonless night, it is pitch black as far as you can see.

I have searched for new-born calves at night in the middle of 12-acre pastures.

I've fixed fence-lines at midnight in the rain, my work lit by my Tahoe headlights.

I've used Maglites for years, recently stepping up my game with small(er) Streamlight and Coast LED products. Flashlights see hard-use on my ranch.

I just tested this thing out and it is flat-out amazing. A literally stunning beam of light.

It lights up things at a quarter-mile like daylight. It throws a tight beam further than I can see clearly, this spotlight is better than my vision. 5-hour run-time on high-power, which is considerably more than most hand-held flashlights. I own ponds and this flashlight floats. Feels like a very solid piece in the hand, yet it is a relatively light weight.

I love how simple it is to use. It stays on when you pull the trigger, goes back off with another little squeeze. There is a little switch which sets what you want the light to do, strobe, high, or low. Three modes, one switch, one trigger. Nothing fancy, nothing to program or learn. Basic, intuitive and very, very functional.

The low-power setting and built-in aiming stand would be perfect for fixing a flat tire or repairing a fence in the dark. Perhaps walking between my buildings.

The high-power setting is perfect for long-distance sight and searching. Outrageously impressive performance.

The strobe might be good for signaling low flying aircraft? Cool feature, not sure I'll need it, but it's certainly not a negative to have included.

Ideal flashlight if you really need to see a long way at night and have to cover a good bit of distance.

Add in Streamlights reputation for quality, warranty, and the current 4.9 star Amazon rating, and I could not be happier nor more impressed.

I will be recommending this light to friends.
on October 1, 2012
Streamlight Wavepoint Spot light

The Waypoint retails for $ 200.00
on July 25, 2013
This light is amazingly bright. I have a Brinkmann Q-Beam 3 million candlepower spotlight that runs off both a rechargeable battery and a 12 volt cord from a vehicle and I've compared this Streamlight rechargeable Waypoint with it. When fully charged, both lights reach out and cover the same distance, that is, several hundred yards. The Streamlight rechargeable Waypoint, however, has a nice, clean white light compared to the yellow light of the Q-Beam. While I have not used the Streamlight to the point of having to recharge it, compared to the battery on the Brinkmann, which lasts maybe 20 minutes, this is head and shoulders above that with an expected run time of 5 hours on high. Plus, it doesn't get hot like the Brinkmann. The low beam setting is definitely bright enough for use out to several dozen yards, too. This is an excellent light for a variety of uses.