5.0 out of 5 stars I stopped buying batteries
I bought this flashlight right before I left for a month and a half long African Safari back in 2005. I bought it from Amazon - they got it to me on time.

Published on December 6, 2008 by RenaissanceMan

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Construction, Poor User Interface
Click once for "on". Click three more times for "off".

I can't believe I'm offering several paragraphs on a flashlight, but this item has such promise that I'm compelled to elaborate.

Published on March 4, 2011 by Soo Doe Nimh

5.0 out of 5 stars I stopped buying batteries, December 6, 2008
This review is from: Streamlight 51012 3 C-Cell Xenon/6-LED Twin-Task Flashlight, Titanium (Tools & Home Improvement)

I bought this flashlight, put in some high quality batteries and took off for Africa. I used this flashlight virtually every night in my tent using one of the LED modes. You can click it once for 3 LEDs, click again for 5 LEDs, and click again for a halogen bulb. This came in very handy -- when I needed strong light, I'd use the halogen but for virtually most applications, I'd stay on 3 or 5 LED mode.

I must say, I didn't need to change batteries while in Africa. Today, the flashlight sits on my nightstand as a backup in case I lose power. The batteries in it are the same that I put in back in 2005 before I left for Africa. Every now and again, I'll test the light, open it up and check the batteries. I'm now wondering how long they will last.

The flashlight still looks brand new even after regular use for camping and after a grueling trip through Africa. The quality of this flashlight is exceptional.

What I wish would be better? It'd be nice if it had a spare halogen bulb and it'd be nice if the LEDs were upgradable....there are much stronger LEDs on the market today but with the halgoen bulb, it does quite well.

The LEDs are extremely efficient as I mentioned.

This is a wonderful flashlight. I can't recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Multipurpose Light, January 13, 2007
Face it, we all like a good flashlight. I'm an airline pilot and was looking for a powerful flashlight for preflight inspections that wouldn't take up a lot of room in my flightkit. This is my first LED flashlight, and overall I am impressed with it. It is very well made and feels comfortable in hand. Some have complained about the switch requiring four actuations to cycle from off to off again, but I don't find this to be annoying and the switch works well. The LED bulbs bathe close targets in a wide, somewhat bluish light, but illumination intensity drops off rapidly outside of a few yards. I seldom use the 3 bulb position, opting for all 6 LEDs most of the time. The Xenon bulb does a good job illuminating areas at longer distances, but not appreciably better than the 2D cell Maglite this flashlight replaced. That said, it is considerably lighter and my Maglite doesn't have LEDs.

Overall, it is a versatile light at a very good price. If you're looking for a flashlight for varying conditions and can handle a tough life, here it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light, Battery conservation and heavy duty design, May 14, 2009
Stephen Anastasi (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this flashlight 5 years ago. The main factors in my purchase were the Beam quality of this unit, the size, battery type and ability to shift between Xenon & 2 modes of LED bulbs.

The Xenon beam is full, and consistent throughout. I found this a pleasure, as my old MAG light had a huge dark spot.

I can conserve battery power and switch to Low LED or High LED modes, instead of using the Xenon bulb.

the C-Cell batteries are easier to come by than the D-Cell batteries. Since it's a 3-cell flashlight, the beam is brighter and lasts a long time.

The housing seems almost indestructible. I've dropped mine in the water, on rocks and have used it to tap in nails when camping.

Overall, a great product, and can stand the test. 5 years and this flashlight is still running strong. I tend to camp at least 6 times per year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Construction, Poor User Interface, March 4, 2011
Click once for "on". Click three more times for "off".

I have an enduring affection for C-cell flashlights. Slim enough to grip together with another object, they also feel good alone in your hand, and are a more maneuverable choice than D-cell flashlights with no meaningful battery-life penalty in the age of LEDs. I set up and break down large telescopes at dark-sky sites, so the light will get a lot of use; because of night-vision issues, the light must only be on intermittently. The weakness of this design is that you must push the button four times during each on/off cycle.

The build of this item makes me happy. It is so solid that the MagLite design now seems a little flimsy. The finish on the barrel sticks to your palm; you could hang on to this thing with oil-soaked hands.

The problem: we live in an age of features and options. Cell phones have cameras and full QWERTY keyboards, and steering wheels have ten buttons. So here we have a choice among three modes: 3 LED lamps, 6 LED lamps, and a single xenon bulb. I would be happy with the 3- or 6-LED option only: "Click once and it's on; click again and it's off. Classic. Understated ..." - read this in the voice of Sam Eliot - "for a man who gets things done, and knows what he wants: just a pouch of Red Man, a Dodge Ram, and a flashlight in the cab."

I don't mind choices, but I shouldn't have to cycle through all of them each time I use the object. This is an industrial design failure. Worse, the switch seems to be the one slightly flimsy part on this light, and the difference in brightness among the three choices isn't that pronounced, particularly between 3 LEDs and 6 - it's so marginal that I just don't care.

A tour of the Streamlight website suggests that management or marketing thinks quite well of themselves: every product is touted for its high number of cutting-edge, turbocharged features - someone is eager to be seen to add value and incent market granularity through bleeding-edge customer-focused synergies. News flash, Rolex Rick: most of what you learned in your MBA program was insipid splattertalk. Put down the Blackberry, back away from the PowerPoint, and remember: you have two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you talk. And it's the CAD guy or machinist you should be listening to here, because they absolutely know what they're doing. I hope you're paying them enough.

It's a flashlight, guys. Maybe the market won't buy it if it isn't sexed up, and maybe you're selling plenty of these because customers think "Twin-Task" and buy it mainly for emergiencies, but extra features are good only if you can ignore them: when I make a call on my cell phone, I don't have to cycle through camera mode, and then text mode, before reaching phone mode.

I like this product, but it's better for an emergency light in your vehicle, or for occasional long sessions, than for lots of on/off as-needed use. A shame: the design and execution are otherwise excellent.

How about a special edition of this product, for actual users? You can even couch in in the fancy talk of the Streamlight website: call it the Super-C4® Aztec Commando Quick-Off Edition, designed for use under enemy fire in the jungle, with no Bluetooth and no MP3 capability. What do you say, Streamlight?

4.0 out of 5 stars Precision Tool, September 15, 2008
Mark Chuchra (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This flashlight feels really nice in the hand -- like a finely machined instrument. I used some rechargeable NiMH cells to power it, but was unsatisfied with the degree of brightness. Switching to some alkaline cells really brought up the brightness level. If you want a super bright light, look elsewhere. Perhaps a lamp with more LEDs would glow more brightly. I would have been more impressed with the product if I could simultaneously light the Xenon bulb and the LEDs for a brighter glow option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good multipurpose flashlight!, September 17, 2009
Beefy yet lightweight, good to leave in your vehicle. The 3 choices of light source comes in handy for varying situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice LED flashlight ., August 5, 2013
Nice LED flashlight . What more is there to say. It's just a nice flashlight to have handy in the event of a power outage.

Streamlight 51012 3 C-Cell Xenon/6-LED Twin-Task Flashlight, Titanium
$54.00 $41.89
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.