5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - durable, well made and bright.
Published on September 13, 2003 by Richard C. Drew

1.0 out of 5 stars Okay for residential but not for heavy-duty, everyday use!
Published on December 8, 2005 by Transporter59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - durable, well made and bright., September 13, 2003
This review is from: Streamlight 68202 4-AA Battery 7-LED Flashlight, Yellow (Tools & Home Improvement)
Talk about a bright LED light. Compact and lightweight, it gives off a wide - wider than expected - beam. Lights up an entire room! Not a lot of range since it's a flood light, but it's ideal for power outages or lighting your way on a path. The light is bluer than what you'd get from an incandescent bulb, closer to Halogen than Krypton (the bulb, not the planet.) Includes 4aa batteries. Rubber over the button on the rear seems a little thin, but is pretty durable. Lught pattern is a little uneven with hot spots, but that's typical of LED's.

Followup: Over two years later, and the light is still going strong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light., October 29, 2003
The 7-LED Propolymer will not come close to the brightness of the Luxeon type lights, but it will provide useful light output for longer than any Luxeon of similar size.
The Streamlight ProPolymer advantage is for those of us who encounter potentially explosive atmospheres, because all the ProPolymers are certified for hazardous atmosphere use. Peace of mind if ypu're going into some significant potential gas leak area - no Surefire has this certification. If I was an emergency responder, I'd demand one. Myself, I have to use mine for inspection of oil/gas production facilities, 24/7.

1.0 out of 5 stars Okay for residential but not for heavy-duty, everyday use!, December 8, 2005
Transporter59 (Bothell, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have gone through three Streamlight flashlights at work. In the begining, the flashlights performed as good as expected. But after a while, the flashlights started to flicker on and off. On all three flashlights, the ball contact pitted the negitive side of the battery causing an intermittant contact. On another, the switch completely failed after the rubber boot tore off. I finally ended up putting them in a vise and throwing them away. I think this is why Costco stopped carring them. I keep the fourth flashlight at home for dinking around the garage. This flashlight is okay for occasional but not heavy-duty use.

3.0 out of 5 stars LED Failure and New Models of This Light, April 22, 2004
H. Griffin (S.E. United States) - See all my reviews
Based on other reviewers' comments, I must have the only faulty example of this flashlight Streamlight has produced. The 4AA performs well indoors, but lacks the light output to be considered adequate for all-around use. Light output diminishes rapidly after only a few hours, and the manufacturer's claims of hundreds of hours of light output are exaggerated. In addition, the LED's in my light began to fail after only about five house of use. First, one LED began blinking and then went out altogether. Finally only three of the seven LED's were burning. I have returned the light to Streamlight with the hopes they would replace this faulty product.

Streamlight promptly repaired and returned the light with no cost to me. It has performed satisfactorily since. Steamlight recently introduced a new, single Luxeon LED version of this light which supposedly has much improved performance. The light is now also available with an incandescent bulb that has received excellent reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Home or Vehicle Light, October 5, 2005
W. L. Holder (Phoenix, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
I have become a huge fan of this light. I used to only use the SureFire and Streamlight "Lithium Battery" type lights, but after a hundred dollars worth of replacement batteries I thought I should find something that doesnt take $15-$20 worth of batteries at a shot. I then found a major disapointment in the LED/Regular bulb selectable setup of another Streamlight I purchased. My next option was this one, I am completely satasfied and now have two for around the house and one for my wifes car and another for my car. These are small, sturdy, easy to manipulate, have a long battery life and give out a fantastic amount of light.

As the actual light goes, it is very crisp and bluish white colored. It lights up a large area nicely. It does not travel a long distace but easily provides enough light to light up a room or trail, or to work on a car at night.

Another great thing about this light, funny as it sounds, is that the handle is not round, it is oblong shaped. Sounds odd until you have to hold it in your mouth while using both your hands to change a tire on your car, then you understand how handly that handle really is.

This is a great light, bright, compact, inexpensive, long battery life. Almost everything you could ask for in a light for around the house or to keep in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for travel and household use too, July 29, 2003
Made of very good quality tough plastic. Packaging says it's made in America. Package came with 4AA alkalines.
Decent size and not too large. Fits in backpacks, carry-on luggage, laptop bag when travelling. Good to bring along on travel trips as a standby lamp.
Max light ouput rated for first 6 hours, but then intensity starts going down, until 155 hours later when range is only 1 meter (still good for reading a book).
It's also water proof.
The on/off button at the end (opposite end from LEDs) of the torch allows you to manually flash it continuously. This comes in handy should you require to use the lamp as a warning or signal tool.
Good buy overall for the price and quality/finishing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought it was great, until it died, March 28, 2005
B. Hubbard (Green Cove Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
I was a huge fan of this flashlight, both because it was so bright, and because it used AA batteries, instead of the AAA that seem to be more common for LED flashlights these days, but can be harder to find when traveling in odd areas.

After having it around the house for several months, and recommending the brand to several people, I fully trusted the thing and took at as my only light on 5 week trip to rural Africa - and after just two weeks, it was dead.

The friend I was traveling with laughed, having warned me this would happen, as I stuttered in disbelief, and started a dissection using our kerosene lamp for light. Meanwhile, she sat reading a book on the other side of the hut with her nearly 2 year old LED Petzl headlamp.

Replacing the batteries, fiddling with the switch, nothing. Just dead.

Maybe it was just a fluke - or maybe they're meant for casual and not regular use. But, I've learned my lession - as of now, my loyalty is to Petzl when it comes to LED flashlights.

3.0 out of 5 stars When it's working it's GREAT, but plagued by design problems., January 25, 2009
I have owned three of these flashlights over a span of about two years, and have used it in a variety of conditions--everything from neighborhood walks to camping to contracting work. I am a flashlight aficionado and truly put them to the test. Here's what I've found...

The Good:

This flashlight puts out an astonishing amount of light. It's a great flood beam that really reaches far. It lights up the whole garage easily. It projects quite impressively into caves and tunnels. The switch works great, it's easy to operate, and is a nice size and shape. The oblong tube resists rolling and makes it easy to hold in difficult situations (like pinching it between your chin and shoulder). And it doesn't have any of that annoying grippy rubber crap on it either. Thank goodness there are still a few products out there that aren't ruined by rubberized blister-fodder.

The Bad:

This is one of the least reliable flashlights I've ever owned. The light flickers often when it's turned on, especially when it's being shaken or moved suddenly. It seems as though the battery cavity is both too large and too long for the batteries so they're sloppy inside, you can hear them rattling around. This makes the springy contact mechanism inside work poorly which results in flickering light, and sometimes no light at all until you take the batteries out and fumble around with it a little.

I wanted this light for the long run time, but so far I have yet to run down a set of batteries in this light. I end up replacing them prematurely to try to address the flickering problem. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

The lanyard eye at the tail end is a nice feature but the hole is so small I can only get a tiny string through it (and only one strand, so I can't put a loop through the hole. I have some pretty small clips and they were all too big. Plus, the hole is mounted on a rather thin tab that protrudes out the back, so even if the hole were bigger, I'd be afraid of breaking it off if I attached anything rigid to it.

In Summary:

Great light, when it works. If it worked better it would be my go-to flashlight for just about everything. Unfortunately, since it's so flaky I only use it for casual purposes now. I take my Princeton Tec flashlights for mission critical work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful flashlight for walking, October 17, 2005
After using this flashlight, I can't imagine using any other flashlight. The battery life is so amazing that you don't have to feel bad leaving it on. We used them in Hawaii to find out way back from the active lava flow. We had to hike 4 miles across uneven hardened lava in the dark to get back. The flashlights made it possible - we lent an extra one to another couple so that they could make it back too. Their conventional flashlight's batteries died.

The flashlight will light up a room and light up the ground in front of you very well. Does not focus like a conventional flashlight. The light goes all over and lights up whatever surface you shine at much better, but cannot go long distances (not over 15 feet well) since it disperses.

Great product! Would highly recommend. Incidentally, despite some reviews suggesting that they are easily broken, I have not had any problems with any of the 3 we purchased and even have dropped them accidentally a few times.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST LED FLASHLIGHT FOR THE MONEY, October 27, 2003
"rross225" (TUCSON, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This is an awesome flashlight! It blows away conventional flashlights in close-up performance. It is best used for distances of fifteen feet and less. The white light allows colors to be clearly identified. This is especially useful when working on computers, cars and anywhere color coded wires are used, and anytime a true color needs to be seen. The LED lamp assembly is rated for 10,000 hours. The brilliant flood of cool white light will change your mind about the standard yellow-light flashlights you have around the house. The extra money spent is well worth the frustration relief when working behind the entertainment center. The person holding the light does not have to have an expert aim either. The high reliability will give you peace of mind. Throw in some lithium batteries and you will be set for a long time. Older folks will like the push button switch, more so than the Streamlight's 3C model that requires the head to be twisted for on/off operation. It is also ergonomic and compact.
I give this flashlight a solid four rating. The only thing that I do not like is the AA batteries rattle in the barrel. The light does not flicker when heavily jarred but it leads one to believe it might. The polymer construction is very durable along with having an excellent dielectric strength - no electrical shocks! It is safe to use around flammables too along with being waterproof. When I compared this model to the "3C" I own, this one seems a little brighter.
Buy one and I am sure you will buy another - I own four! You will be very happy with your purchase. Give it as a gift and you are guaranteed positive feedback.
Did I mention it would be great for camping?

Streamlight 68202 4-AA Battery 7-LED Flashlight, Yellow