5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the full size frame Beretta guns
This is a REAL GUN review. (I have to say this as too many weapon accessory reviews are for air-soft toys and BB guns)

Published on October 6, 2011 by Axle F.

3.0 out of 5 stars little bit confusing.....
Published 8 months ago by texasman74804

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the full size frame Beretta guns, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Streamlight 69210 TLR-1s LED Rail Mounted Flashlight with Strobe Function and Rail Locating Keys (Tools & Home Improvement)

After a whole bunch of searching around, for everything from the cheaply made plastic $30 lights (that would fly off the gun down range after a few shots) to the $200+ surefire lights... I settled on this as the best weapon light for the money. I have a Beretta M9A1 and this light works and looks like it was made for my Beretta. The fit and finish are amazing, the better light output (of the TLR-1s) is enough to temporarily blind anyone unfortunate enough to get it shined in their eyes. The added strobe is quite disorienting to anyone on the other end of it (red spots in vision that last for about a minute if you look into the light). I love the placement of the two way toggle switch for left or right handed, and one and two handed grip styles. It can be switched into the on position or pushing the opposite direction will keep it on for as long as you hold the switch. Good for those situations where you may or may not need the light on at all times. It is set up in a way that even in a panic situation (a.k.a. loading your pants) you can have the muscle memory to turn it on. Much better than the little rubber push button lights I have tried out.

Using the light in dark/low light situations can even help with aiming as the center of the light spot is right where I would be aiming for. So if the bright spot of the light is covering the center of the target at about 5 to 15 feet, there was a 95% chance I would hit it without using the sights.

The main reason I got this light was the fact that it is all aluminum, it is tried and tested, and the way it clamps onto the gun is better than any "quick release" style rail light I have seen yet. I tightened it on as well as possible because I really don't have a use for "quick release". Though it does come off easy enough in case that is your thing. It came included with two fully charged batteries, and three different rail mount "Keys" so it will fit your particular style without any "Wriggle". My Beretta has a 1913 picatinny rail and it locks onto it beautifully. I cannot attest to the weaver or glock style rails though it fits on my friends composite SigPro 2022 with no problem. Mounted on the Sig 2022 the light sticks out past the muzzle about an inch, so it doesn't look as good as it does on the Beretta M9/92s where it is perfectly flush with the muzzle.

Took it to the range and fired off close to 150 rounds of 124gr +p 9mm rounds with the light on the whole time, and it never so much as flickered. I turned it off and put it away and then checked the light out the next day, and it didn't skip a beat.

*NEW UPDATE* April 2013

Been using this light for nearly 2 years now, always on my gun, THOUSANDS of rounds and still looks and functions beautifully! Still blindingly bright and never fails to function. I have received compliments that the light looks like it was MADE specially for the Beretta 92A1 series of pistols.

If they ever make one with a Green strobing laser under it I will buy it in a split second!

*Will update this if anything happens at the next few visits to the range*

---BOTTOM LINE---
If you have a full sized handgun with an accessory rail then this is the light to get! Especially on the Beretta 92A1, M9A1, and 96A1 pistols.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Improved..., September 14, 2010
kane413 (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
There are three things the new TLR-1s has improved upon the original TLR-1:

1. The brightness. 160 lumens from the TLR-1s vs. 135 from the old TLR-1. It's visibly brighter, when shooting onto a white wall from the same distance, though not a huge difference.

2. The strobe feature. You need to double tap the switch within 0.4 second to activate it. It is very effective, very disorienting to look at (even when looking from behind). But the activation is hard to accomplish, especially in the dark, under stress, in a self-defense situation. Another review mentioned the remote switch for this light that could make it easier.

3. The battery door. On the old TLR-1, to change batteries I need to use a coin to pry the door latch off to open (latch is metal, door is plastic, and it's very tight for waterproofing). And since the door and the switch are the only parts made from plastic, a few of those coin prying left dent marks on the door. Now, the door is still plastic, but I can just flip up that flat metal leaf, and the door pops right open. Push the metal piece down and the door snaps shut with the same tightness as before, only much easier to use...

My copy of the TLR-1s went back to the factory for warranty repair after only one range session (about 150 rounds fired, light mounted on a Glock 23, shooting 180gr .40SW and 115gr 9mm from a conversion barrel, both Walmart WWB and Federal FMJ ammo). The strobe quit working after the range shooting. The top of the light forward of the muzzle got burnt by the muzzle flash (top part of that silver ring was completely blackened), and can't be wiped clean using alcohol and Goo Gone. I don't really care for the strobe feature since it's so hard to use, but I worried if some other parts on the circuit board might also be affected by the shock of gun fire. Called Streamlight, they issued a RMA right away, and I got it back in two weeks. Good customer service for a company that stand behind their products. I will probably buy another TLR-1s shortly for my other rail-equipped handguns so I don't have to swap all the time when I swap carry guns. Also to have a backup unit, as the old saying goes, for flashlights, one is none, two is one...

BTW, Streamlight even cleaned the powder burns on the light for me. The silver ring is shiny again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Light, May 7, 2010
Very bright and the strobe feature is very cool. I found it a little difficult to activate with the battery cover switch, but if you upgrade the door to accept a remote press switch and use that, it's very easy to use the straight light or bip-it to strobe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Springfield XD 40 Service, March 9, 2012
I have a Springfield XD 40 Service and I love this light! This light is blinding day or night. Seriously, YOU CAN NOT LOOK AT IT! Just a glimpse and you're seeing spots for minutes after. It is ruggedly built, bright as all, and asthetically pleasing to the eye (when it's turned off that is). It is a little wider than my weapon, but this is not a problem for me since the person breaking in won't see it. It comes with two 3-volt CR123A lithium batteries which are easier to change out than the TLR-1 (the previous model) and are supposed to have a 10-year storage life. They are not cheap to replace, but from the reviews I have read on Amazon you are better off finding them local (like at Radio Shack) and paying a couple bucks extra to guarentee full charge. At 4.18 ounces this light adds a little to the end of the weapon, but is hardly noticable (at least to me). After reading the reviews for this model and it's predecessor (the TLR-1),.. out of 119 reviews NOT ONE WAS BELOW A FOUR STAR RATING. Comparing that to other "cheaper" and "lighter" lights, my decision was easily made. When it comes to the protection of my family, I would rather pay a little extra for something 'once' and know it will be reliable. The strobe feature is nice as well, but may not be practical for most. With a quick "double tap" of the switch YOU CAN LOCK THE STROBE ON, but like any other tool you should practice with it to retain "muscle memory". Really though, unless you are storming a building full of insurgents, I think you should be ok with just the steady beam. If you have medium to large hands (like me), you can toggle the switch with either the thumb from your supporting hand, or the index "trigger finger". The rocker switch makes it easy to use and is much less likely to come on accidentally (like the cheaper lights) and drain your batteries. All in all, I believe the TLR-1s is THE best light for the money. Hope this helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but..., March 7, 2013
Aaron Crouch (Tacoma, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This light is extrememly bright and disorienting. I love that!
My issue is with functionality. Activating the instant on strobe function is very easy. Unfortunately it is not so easy to activate the steady on strobe function with one finger/hand. The easiest way I found is to activate the instant on strobe, then quickly push all the way to the steady on position.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a terrific light!, March 15, 2011
Previous reviews are spot on in rating this product highly. The unit is a snap to mount, and the battery access door functions easily. The controls are simple (and can be operated easily from both sides of the weapon), and that light is bright! The strobe is a nice feature, too. I've mounted this light on both Glock 17 and Glock 21 models. I went to a darkened inside range and played around with the available options to illuminate a target. Worked flawlessly, and all I had to to was periodically wipe off the lens - very acceptable. I highly recommend this product. (Note: The light fits very nicely on my Glocks, and it is smaller than what the pictures seem to indicate.)

3.0 out of 5 stars little bit confusing....., December 24, 2013
I just received this light for x-mas 2013. as far as construction of the light itself, it seems to be well made. it was a little difficult to install the batteries and even more difficult to operate the strobe function. to me it kind of takes away from the "defensive" aspect. to operate the strobe you have to move the switch one way then back the other way really quickly, then to get the strobe to stay on strobe you have to move the switch back the other way. to me this is precious wasted time that could wind up hurting you in the long run. as far as brightness, yes it is bright. to conclude, it seems well made, but not very user friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disorient the invader, October 1, 2010
This light will wreak havoc on anyone trying to cause you or your family harm when using the strobe function. You will see fine, they will want to puke and run away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright! 300 Lumens, February 10, 2013
I got this light as a gift from my wife. It was very easy to install on my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. I basically took it out of the box, put the batteries in, and loosened the set screw and put it on my light. It was that easy. I was worried that they would ship with the older 160 lumen just to get rid of old inventory because it does not clearly state that it ships the 300 lumen version. I am very happy with this order so far. I will have to wait and see if I have any issues at the range. I would recommend Amazon to update and say that the light is 300 lumens, I fear they are missing sales by lack of not being clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid light, switch is akward., September 25, 2012
I purchased this light because its a great deal for $100. It doesnt flicker under recoil and is a solid build. It does double duty on a Mossberg 590 and various Glock pistols, and works well on both. My only issue is with the strobe function. its akward to engage, and you have to hold the lever in position like a momentary setting. it should just click on and off like the steady on. I added a small 1913 clamp-on rail (by streamlight) to my mossberg 590, and it sits just in front of the slide grip, on the left side. i can easily and naturally hit the paddle switch on this light with my support hand thumb and eliminate the need for dangling wires and pressure switches.

Rate and Discover Movies