1,674 Reviews
 (1,449)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the full size frame Beretta guns
This is a REAL GUN review. (I have to say this as too many weapon accessory reviews are for air-soft toys and BB guns)

Published on October 6, 2011 by Axle F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but difficult strobe operation [UPDATE 2 6/27/11]
Great gun light. Installed easily on my Glock 19 (Gen4).

The power switch works well (though mine is a little tight). It is nice that it is ambidextrous since we have a righty and a lefty in the house. There is a second switch to easily change between laser, light and laser+light.

The laser is very bright and well focused. The light is...
Published on April 7, 2011 by JJJJr Shabadoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the full size frame Beretta guns, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Streamlight 69210 TLR-1s LED Rail Mounted Flashlight with Strobe Function and Rail Locating Keys (Tools & Home Improvement)

After a whole bunch of searching around, for everything from the cheaply made plastic $30 lights (that would fly off the gun down range after a few shots) to the $200+ surefire lights... I settled on this as the best weapon light for the money. I have a Beretta M9A1 and this light works and looks like it was made for my Beretta. The fit and finish are amazing, the better light output (of the TLR-1s) is enough to temporarily blind anyone unfortunate enough to get it shined in their eyes. The added strobe is quite disorienting to anyone on the other end of it (red spots in vision that last for about a minute if you look into the light). I love the placement of the two way toggle switch for left or right handed, and one and two handed grip styles. It can be switched into the on position or pushing the opposite direction will keep it on for as long as you hold the switch. Good for those situations where you may or may not need the light on at all times. It is set up in a way that even in a panic situation (a.k.a. loading your pants) you can have the muscle memory to turn it on. Much better than the little rubber push button lights I have tried out.

Using the light in dark/low light situations can even help with aiming as the center of the light spot is right where I would be aiming for. So if the bright spot of the light is covering the center of the target at about 5 to 15 feet, there was a 95% chance I would hit it without using the sights.

The main reason I got this light was the fact that it is all aluminum, it is tried and tested, and the way it clamps onto the gun is better than any "quick release" style rail light I have seen yet. I tightened it on as well as possible because I really don't have a use for "quick release". Though it does come off easy enough in case that is your thing. It came included with two fully charged batteries, and three different rail mount "Keys" so it will fit your particular style without any "Wriggle". My Beretta has a 1913 picatinny rail and it locks onto it beautifully. I cannot attest to the weaver or glock style rails though it fits on my friends composite SigPro 2022 with no problem. Mounted on the Sig 2022 the light sticks out past the muzzle about an inch, so it doesn't look as good as it does on the Beretta M9/92s where it is perfectly flush with the muzzle.

Took it to the range and fired off close to 150 rounds of 124gr +p 9mm rounds with the light on the whole time, and it never so much as flickered. I turned it off and put it away and then checked the light out the next day, and it didn't skip a beat.

*NEW UPDATE* April 2013

Been using this light for nearly 2 years now, always on my gun, THOUSANDS of rounds and still looks and functions beautifully! Still blindingly bright and never fails to function. I have received compliments that the light looks like it was MADE specially for the Beretta 92A1 series of pistols.

If they ever make one with a Green strobing laser under it I will buy it in a split second!

*Will update this if anything happens at the next few visits to the range*

---BOTTOM LINE---
If you have a full sized handgun with an accessory rail then this is the light to get! Especially on the Beretta 92A1, M9A1, and 96A1 pistols.

5.0 out of 5 stars One bad light !!!!!, September 23, 2009
Allen R. Beecham (Woodstock, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This weapon-mounted TLR-1 light is ONE BAD LIGHT. I've always been impressed with Streamlight's quality.....especially for the price. Why pay more for the "SF" brand? I've had "SF" lights before and, IMHO, they're just not worth the extra money. But I digress.

This light has the "instant on-off" feature, as well as the "lock-on".....just toggle the switch in opposite directions. It is VERY bright and, due to the LED technology, the bulbs won't break or burn out. I have it mounted on my Beretta CX-4 Storm.
I've already ordered and received a 2nd light for my Mossberg 500, and will be ordering a few more for other weapons that I have.

Just a note about the TLR-2 and TLR-3. I chose the TLR-1 because it is much brighter than the TLR-3, and has an aluminum body (vs plastic....er, composite).......for not much more money.....a better bargain, IMO. The TLR-2 is much more expensive because it has laser sights, which I'm not real keen on.

Anyway.....buy this light.....you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a great product!, April 18, 2011
I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps and trained with surefire optics. I used to think that there was nothing better than surefire, until a friend of mine introduced me to streamlight. The streamlight tlr-2 is a fraction of the cost of the surefire x400. Having tested surefire optics on the battle field and knowing them to be tried and true I was skeptical of trying a new brand. My friend convinced me to give streamlight a try. I borrowed his streamlight and headed to the shooting range. I was immediately impressed with its easy installation, light weight, and ease of use. After test firing it I new I had to have one of my own. The laser was easy to adjust and extremely accurate. The tactical light is extremely bright and the strobe feature is also quite impressive. The surefire tactical light offers 170 lumen output and the tlr-2 offers an output of 160 lumens. The price difference between the two is 150 dollars and the streamlight is just as durable and just as good if not better than the surefire x400.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth the price., March 23, 2009
The price tag is high, but when the item is an important add-on to your primary sidearm, it's an easy choice.

I bought mine USED for quite a bit less than listed, because it only came with the GLOCK key for it. Of course I was buying it for a GLOCK 21, so no problem there. I'll go over the pros and cons as I see them, as objectively as I can. Cons first, because I think the negatives always weigh my decisions more than the positives.

Cons--Price. $200+ for an add-on with electronics and moving parts, hence more chances for failure(none so far, but it's a possibility). If you don't have a bearing holster, your old one won't be functional with this on the rail. Not waterproof, like the TLR-1(and a little bulkier of course). Attachment bolt needs regular cleaning/oiling as it is not aluminum/carbon but steel. Battery door will feel like a puzzle until you pull a quarter out of your pocket. Collects dust on the lens guard/laser like an old library(suprise...guns release hot powder residue bursts at barrel exit and breech). Which is probably what happened to K. Jordan. You have to clean after every use, you don't want that stuff building up. If you want to adjust the laser, you'll need a nearly microscopic .050" hex key, but that should come with a new one. That's the most I can come up with.

Pros--Reliable. That's about all I should need to say to justify it's value, but I've yet to have a problem. Eight boxes of ammo so far (that's four-hundred rounds of .45ACP worth) with it attached. I stagger on and off so the slight weight/feel difference doesn't change my aim, so the ease of attaching/detaching is welcomed. Though quick, it's not just snap on, I wouldn't trust that--there's a bolt that secures it for a tight grip, and it's pretty heavy duty...maybe overly so. Takes me under ten seconds. Pretty decent run time, I'd say about 2 and a half hours nonstop with the LED only. Not a big fan of lasers in general on sidearms, as they can quickly become a crutch, but the extra confidence of one zeroed at 20 yards when you need it alleviates that concern. Once again, after zeroing it at your optimal distance(mine was, possibly from the previous owner, zeroed at 20 yards when I first was going to check for adjustments) the laser is amazingly accurate. I definitely alternate to not become dependent, but the tight patterns I was hitting were better than I expected. Overall pretty light, about a third of a pound for 80 lumens is a nice ratio. Feels very sturdy in construction, 45ACP kicks like a mule compared to 9mm, and no shock damage. Love the paddle/switch design for momentary and steady. Clockwise (down for righties) to lock steady, counter for momentary, neutral for off. Trigger finger naturally rests right on it when in safety position. The switch is below paddle for laser/light/light & laser from left to right. I use my steady hand on that, but it'd be easy enough to reach it with your main hand.

This is starting to get long winded, but I think for a primary sidearm, if you're willing to shell out the cash, it's well worth it. Look for them used first if you can. So far, couldn't be happier with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Play the Way You Practice., June 18, 2011
I recently purchased a new gen. 4 Glock 22. It has the mounting rail built into the frame (for those unfamiliar). I started researching the options that can be mounted on the rail.

I quickly zeroed in on the Streamlight TLR-1S & TLR-2S as my finalists. Streamlight offers a smartly designed, solid, well built product with tight tolerances. Somewhat of a rarity in today's consumer market, flooded with less than acceptable, Asian knockoffs, that more crappy than cheap.

For me, I wanted a strobe option; a laser was a potential bonus. My choice was between the TLR-1S (no laser) and the TLR-2S (with laser), the laser does add both a price and size/weight component. I will not be carrying it daily and if I need it in a moment of crisis, I prefer the deck stacked as far in my favor as possible.

What's up with the title of this review? Many of the previous reviewers mentioned the trickiness of the controls, when using the strobe mode. That held up my decision for a few weeks. In the end I determined that I need to apply the same reasoning to this light as I would any firearm purchase.

First, is it a high quality and reliable item? Yes it is, I read at least 100 reviews on many sites; it is state of the art. Second, am I willing and able to put in the practice time to be both confident and competent with it? Yes I can/will, that is a non-negotiable piece of the equation. Finally, does it essentially "fail safe"? Yes, even if you fail to double tap the switch fast enough to put it in strobe mode, the light and laser still switch on, just not in strobe mode.

All in all it is great product that will do what is supposed to do, if you do what you are supposed to do. Practice regularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally Color Options for the Tactical Enviroment, June 8, 2013
Out of the box and on the rail in under 2 min. Comes with several attachment points for your desired mounted options. Battery for the light is easy to install. Laser battery is pre-installed, may be an issue later down the road when it needs to be replaced. Light is bright enough to defeat or disorient a threat and laser alone is bright and could be used to temporarily blind a target as well. One piece construction is solid. Rocker switch for constant on or momentary on is simple to operate. 3 modes, Laser, Laser + Light & Light. Upgrade over previous models all modes feature the strobe function. Not sure why I need the laser to strobe but it adds to the "O S*** it just got real" factor for the unlucky intruder.

Out of the box mine seemed to be sighted in around 30yds. Adjustments are easy and I've since adjusted that out to 50 yds. Yes the green laser is just as bright in the day time as it is at night. Unlike the red lasers under hazy conditions you can see a thin pencil trail from the laser through the air to the target. Once again not needed but it adds intensity to the situation.

CONS: Laser is not center underneath or with the unit like the TLR-2. Instead the laser is housed within the light and offset to the left hand side. Aesthetically it looks cleaner but you get a ghost spot above the laser when it's on due to the reflection of the light's casing. Not a deal breaker but annoying if you happen to use it in CQB style training with a Reflex sight.

I'll attempted to post pics and a video in the next few weeks.

DPMS with a Fullfield TAC30 w/FastFire III now complete with TLR-2G

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Improved..., September 14, 2010
kane413 (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
There are three things the new TLR-1s has improved upon the original TLR-1:

1. The brightness. 160 lumens from the TLR-1s vs. 135 from the old TLR-1. It's visibly brighter, when shooting onto a white wall from the same distance, though not a huge difference.

2. The strobe feature. You need to double tap the switch within 0.4 second to activate it. It is very effective, very disorienting to look at (even when looking from behind). But the activation is hard to accomplish, especially in the dark, under stress, in a self-defense situation. Another review mentioned the remote switch for this light that could make it easier.

3. The battery door. On the old TLR-1, to change batteries I need to use a coin to pry the door latch off to open (latch is metal, door is plastic, and it's very tight for waterproofing). And since the door and the switch are the only parts made from plastic, a few of those coin prying left dent marks on the door. Now, the door is still plastic, but I can just flip up that flat metal leaf, and the door pops right open. Push the metal piece down and the door snaps shut with the same tightness as before, only much easier to use...

My copy of the TLR-1s went back to the factory for warranty repair after only one range session (about 150 rounds fired, light mounted on a Glock 23, shooting 180gr .40SW and 115gr 9mm from a conversion barrel, both Walmart WWB and Federal FMJ ammo). The strobe quit working after the range shooting. The top of the light forward of the muzzle got burnt by the muzzle flash (top part of that silver ring was completely blackened), and can't be wiped clean using alcohol and Goo Gone. I don't really care for the strobe feature since it's so hard to use, but I worried if some other parts on the circuit board might also be affected by the shock of gun fire. Called Streamlight, they issued a RMA right away, and I got it back in two weeks. Good customer service for a company that stand behind their products. I will probably buy another TLR-1s shortly for my other rail-equipped handguns so I don't have to swap all the time when I swap carry guns. Also to have a backup unit, as the old saying goes, for flashlights, one is none, two is one...

BTW, Streamlight even cleaned the powder burns on the light for me. The silver ring is shiny again...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but difficult strobe operation [UPDATE 2 6/27/11], April 7, 2011
Great gun light. Installed easily on my Glock 19 (Gen4).

The laser is very bright and well focused. The light is impressively bright centrally and has enough bleed to light up the rest of the room fairly well.

My biggest disappointment is the strobe function. I find it fairly difficult to activate the strobe. You have to quickly tap one direction on the power switch and then VERY rapidly tap it again to turn it on. You have very little time to make that second tap (the instructions say half a second and that's probably generous). I repeatedly find myself making the second tap too slowly, especially when I want to lock the strobe on (not just have it come on momentarily). I really feel they should give you more time to make that second tap (at least a full second, maybe two like some other tac lights I've seen). I seriously doubt I'd be able to quickly and confidently activate the strobe in a life or death situation. That said, being on the receiving end of the strobe (I set the light down on the counter and strobed myself in a dim basement) is like being in the middle of the end of the world. Any bad guy caught in that strobe is NOT going to be able to see what the heck is going on and will be extremely disoriented.

So, overall a great tac gun light but not perfect. If the strobe was easier to activate I'd give it 5 stars.
Since the strobe model is about the same price as the non-strobe model, I'd say to go ahead and get the strobe model.

UPDATE 6/25/11: I've changed my rating from 4 stars to 2 stars.

I've had this for a few months now. Last week I went to remove the light from my firearm and the battery compartment cover broke off. I've have not mistreated the unit - have never dropped it or hit it against anything. The only time the battery compartment has been opened was to initially put the batteries in. I've only fired ~20 round with it attached to my gun. I've removed it/reattached it to my gun about 6 times, but this has always been an easy process and never required any force.

I think the issue is that the battery compartment latch puts too much tension on the battery compartment hinge (which is plastic holding a metal pin - it is this plastic that broke). As a device like this failing at the wrong time could, quite literally, mean the difference between life and death, a failure of this kind in the absence if any kind of abuse (and very minimal normal use) is unacceptable. I e-mailed Streamlight 6/21/2011 (evening) and they replied early the next morning, saying they'd send out a new battery compartment lid - we'll see how long that takes to arrive. In the meantime I'm left without a weapon light/laser.

UPDATE 6/27/11: I've upgraded rating from 2 stars to 3 stars.

I received my new battery cover today (probably as fast as they could have gotten it to me without doing overnight or second day). It was a bit of a pain to get on and didn't include instructions (though it was fairly self explanatory). In light of the speedy, hassle-free manner in which my issue was resolved, I decided to add another star back to my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rifle Light, PERIOD !, November 8, 2012
The first thing I noticed was how surprisingly light this unit is. Looks heavy, but it is not at all.

The spot is perfectly focused and centered on the sights out to a range slightly beyond what car high beams reach..400+ yards as advertised. Also the barrel shadow does not extend into the spot at all. Bright, white light.

Save your money, don't buy Surefire.

SGT USMC

Update: Using this light I got 7/10 hits on torso sized steel plate at 300 yards, in the dark, with iron sights with my SCAR17.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive light/laser great for defensive pistol use, September 23, 2010
Adam V. Floyd (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using a TLR-2 for four years now without fail. Since then they've upgraded the unit to the C4 which is twice as bright as the original, and more recently they've added a strobe function. These improvements prompted another purchase which I've been using for about a year.

The TLR-2 is easy to set up, swap from gun-to-gun, and use. I regularly swap the units on various handguns without having to resight the laser. It takes just seconds to unmount or mount the unit. You can use the unit in light only, laser only, and light/laser combo modes. I've used the units in night shooting courses and they really perform.

I also like that the TLR-2 uses lithium 123 batteries which allows the light to sit for long periods of time without having to worry about the batteries draining or leaking.