on May 15, 2010
This one replaces my first strion with the xenon bulb. New is the roll proof designed head, tail cap push button switch vs twist or press and hold to turn on, 5.3 inch for the xenon and 5.9 led, and of course led bulb.

The good, this thing has a very bright white light with no hint of that nasty blue. The anti roll design should save some blood pressure frustration points.

The bad, it's slightly bigger than the xenon, .6 inch per their website. The switch is rubber covered which may later break down after contact with oily substances.

The ugly, it's beam is not adjustable.

Even tho it's a little longer, you're still getting a lot of light out of a small deal.

The rubber switch cover, I can't say how good it'll hold up.

My xenon started giving me problems after being dropped multiple times. Since the switch had a push for momentary on feature, the battery contacts developed little dents which would cause it to not turn on. I'd have to take the battery out, twist 90 deg, reassemble and try again. The led model has this hi med lo strobe feature in the switch. Seems a bit fancy, and more stuff which could break. I don't know what purpose the strobe provides, unless you know someone with epilepsy you want to see in seizure, ya kno, just for kicks.

Chances are good I wouldn't have bought it had I known it has a non adjustable beam. I tried to find a brick and mortar that had one on the shelf so I could put my hands on it first, but failed to find one. Time will tell...

Update 7/24/10.
After a couple months of use, the differences between the two are further apparent. You wouldn't think .6 inch as significant, but that much more causes it to fall out of my shirt pocket. Even though it's been dropped several times, it hasn't failed me yet.

Even though battery life on the xenon was never a big issue, the led has never gone dull on me. The xenon would get hot if left on too long, the led doesn't. Every once in a while, when I snap it into the charger at the end of the day, I'll not have it in correctly. That's when the xenon would be weak if I needed it early the next day. Not an issue with the led.

The hi med lo feature has been helpful, in my case, for reading a steel embossed tag hi is too bright and reflects light back at me so I can't read the info. High is super bright and lights up a dark area very well.

The antiroll head works great. Set it down, it stays where you want it. The only thing different I would have designed into it would be to make the antiroll flat spots different heights. That way you could set it down to tilt up at different heights.

Update 4/20/13
A big difference between the two is the battery usage. The xenon needed daily charging, and would dull after prolonged use. The led seems to go forever on a single charge. I'm talking weeks without rechargeing.

The length I've gotten used to.

The anti roll flat spots are helpful, but imagine, a hexagonal shaped log will still roll.

The tail cap switch is showing no signs of deterioration, even after repeated daily exposure to automotive fluids. I've dropped it directly onto the switch many times and it still works. No dented battery contacts. It did start to not switch properly because the tail cap worked itself loose.

Not having an adjustable beam, I've gotten used to, and thinking back, on my maglight, I always just adjusted the beam to a middle of the road setting and left it there forever.

I've noticed its now available in different colors, beyond black. I spray painted mine so its easier to see if I set it down on a dark surface.

Love it, and recommend it.

Update 12/10/14
I've gotten used to the .6" of length so it no longer falls out of my pocket unless I'm careless or forgtten it's there.

I don't have to store it on the charger like the xenon needed to be. About once every other week I'll snap it in the charger. Keep in mind, there is no indication the battery is getting weak. It simply shuts off when the battery is low which is not a healthy thing to do to a lithium battery. Streamlight recommends it be stored on the charger base.

I got the strion hp thinking it might better suit me. It was just too big and WAY too bright for my needs. Light output is 275 for the led hp vs 260 for the led. Now they have a strion led hl with 500 lumens.

Most of the other guys I work with use a stinger. Thats what they got, thats what they're used to. Same with me and my strion led.

Now the only flashlight problem I have is when I can't find it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
In this video I go over the basic operation of the Streamlight Strion LED light as well as doing some side-by-side comparisons with the previous model.

If you don't feel like watching the video, I'll sum it up by saying that I always liked the original Strion - but I like the LED model better. It has a brighter light with multiple brightness settings, longer battery life (even on the brightest setting), a strobe feature, an easier-to-operate power switch and an anti-roll head. Those features make for a very solid upgrade.

Some people will be bothered by the slightly larger length and the non-adjustable beam focus - but, for me, those aren't deal breakers at all.

Overall, I highly recommend this light! I believe it's one of the best compact rechargeables on the market at this point.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
I OWN THIS VERSION AND THE EARLIER VERSION AND THIS NEW DESIGN IS INCREDIBLE !.....IT IS EXTREMELY BRIGHT AND POWERFUL, HAS THE HIGH-LOW-STROBE SETTINGS ON THE TAIL SWITCH AND IT IS VERY DURABLE !!!....THIS IS A FANTASTIC LIGHT WITH PLENTY OF POWER FOR ANY SITUATION !!!
on January 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a very bright/powerful flashlight for the size. Puts out more light than several larger models. The design prevents it from rolling away if dropped or laid on the ground. Due to the compact size, it is very easily carried for law enforcement purposes. Streamlight stands behind their products. I had an earlier version, which was not an LED light, that suddenly stopped working. After contacting Streamlight, I learned the light had a lifetime guarantee so I shipped it back. Streamlight fixed the problem, no questions asked, and sent it back to me within two weeks. I would highly recommend this light!
on April 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
What can I say? This flashlight kicks butt! I work in law enforcement and this little light puts out as much light as my bigger Mag light. I also like the added strobe feature. If you are in law enforcement and you want an added advantage in situations like motor vehicle stops or interior searches, then buy this light. Be safe.
on January 11, 2014
Perfect for seeing anything under a car or under the hood. Never run out of a charge thru out the day. A police officer got me hooked on this model.
on May 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
This light is always with me on duty.

It is incredibly bright and lasts a long time between charges.
The hex design also good for putting the light on any surface so the light doesn't roll off.
It also takes a beating with me and has not failed me once.

I can't say enough about it. I have bought a few of these as presents and also mounted one on my rifle.

I originally bought a package deal that came with two (2) chargers (AC & DC) so I didn't need any chargers with this purchase FYI.

Great light.
on April 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
I ordered and received this light exactly as described. The light is TINY but SUPER POWERFUL and I've used it over a year with no fluctuation power or battery life. The only drawback is that older Strion batteries will not work with the new light, even though they advertise that it will, unless it has the metal disk on the bottom of the battery. Otherwise, TOTALLY AWESOME LIGHT!!
on November 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased this flashlight to replace my original Strion, after 5 years the spring for the battery was wearing out. I got this a couple weeks before I had to do a night weapons Qual. It performed GREAT. I like the power adjustment for High Medium, and low for reading etc. I don't really find a use for the strobe however. I have accidentally clicked it on when I didn't want it. Over all it is awesome for such a small light. I do miss the adjustable beam but works well with out it. Also I had the same charger from my old Strion and didn't have to buy one. So far is a great value.
on November 9, 2011
I am an automotive technician and an EMT and I have owned many different lights over my career. The Strion LED is by-far the best light I have used. The adjustable brightness feature is great and saves your eyes from too much glare. The engineers who designed this light got the brightness dialed in. The strobe feature comes in handy for getting people's attention. It is very durable and haven't had it fail on me yet after owning it for a year. Great battery life for such a small unit. I should also mention that the size is about perfect.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations