5.0 out of 5 stars Solid upgrade from original Strion
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:23 Mins
In this video I go over the basic operation of the Streamlight Strion LED light as well as doing some side-by-side comparisons with the previous model.

Published on February 12, 2011 by D. Matheny

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing products
Product was great however I did not get the holster that was supposed to come with it. Flashlight still great though.
Published 1 month ago by Lawrence Ouellette

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid upgrade from original Strion, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight with AC/12-Volt DC and 1-Holder, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
Length:: 6:23 Mins

If you don't feel like watching the video, I'll sum it up by saying that I always liked the original Strion - but I like the LED model better. It has a brighter light with multiple brightness settings, longer battery life (even on the brightest setting), a strobe feature, an easier-to-operate power switch and an anti-roll head. Those features make for a very solid upgrade.

Some people will be bothered by the slightly larger length and the non-adjustable beam focus - but, for me, those aren't deal breakers at all.

Overall, I highly recommend this light! I believe it's one of the best compact rechargeables on the market at this point.

[*** UPDATE 1/26/2014 ***]

I picked up one of the newer/brighter versions of this light about 4 months ago; and, I have to admit that I can't tell much of a difference at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still super impressed with these lights - and use them for everything. I was just expecting the new version to be noticeably brighter...

Regardless, I'm using the two lights interchangeably, and this is definitely still my go-to flashlight around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the light you want!, March 8, 2010
K. Metz (FORT WALTON BEACH, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
Everyone knows how expensive the surefire batteries can be. If you are in the military like me, supply for some reason always seems to be out. This flashlight not only surpasses surefire lights in brightness and color (xenon white like high end cars) but it's rechargable! PLUS you can leave it on the charger and not worry about overcharging. I fly in the Army and this light is perfect for preflight in nontactical environments. EXTREMELY bright and well worth every penny. An absolute must for someone who wants a professional quality light that lasts. I would have given this 10 stars if it was an option!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought a long time ago..., April 1, 2010
It was a hard hit to spend this much for a small flashlight, but it's worth every penny. First of all, Amazon has the best price around. My co-workers recommended this light for how bright it is and how long the battery life is. One guy told me he's recharged his twice in the last year. The illumination is brilliant and it totally lights up a room. I have a large Streamlight also, but it is often bulky and hard to remember to grab when you need a light. This one fits right on your belt. Great price. Great product. I should have bought this years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Light, August 8, 2011
Streamlight has just about perfected the flash light with this one. I use the light as an elevator mechanic during the week and as a Sheriff's Deputy on the weekends. The high setting is amazing when I need it, I can see to the top of a 32 story elevator shaft. But when I change it to low I can see things close up without being blinded and the battery life is fantastic. I have used it all week with out charging it. Not continuously of course but a lot each day. It recharges quickly and is always ready. Out on the street at night it is very handy. It will light up the inside of a car and then when you need to you can tone it down to read a drivers license. Although I have not used the strobe feature in a fight to see how it works yet, it is nice to have that extra tool in my hand. Just playing around with it looks very effective. I have also dropped mine a couple of floors down an elevator shaft with no ill effects. I don't recomend this though and I was not real happy about it. I bought mine from a Police supply place and paid too much for it. My brother-in-law wanted three after seeing mine and a got his on Amazon at a great price with fantastic service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn bright for such a little flashlight, but not as bright as I had hoped, March 16, 2012
If your a law enforcement officer then chances are you use or know someone in law enforcement that uses the Streamlight Strion. It's a pretty popular little torch. It's also small enough and bright enough for tactical weapon applications, so it's been used a lot in the past and still in the present for Swat weapon applications. But there are brighter flashlights out there for weapon mount purposes that are about the same size or smaller, but most of them cost at least twice as much, so that is something to consider.

Of course one big plus about the Strion is that it contains a rechargable battery that pretty much will never need to be replaced because it can take as many as 500 full recharges, and that means this little flashlight is extremely economical while still being bright enough for pretty much most law enforcement uses. I've tested this light in every possible situation you might deal with, and it does get the job done. It has a very good hot spot and plenty of flood to illuminate the surrounding area. And for such a small flashlight it is suprising how far it will throw a beam.

I directed the Strion at the back of a house that was 50 yards away and it lit most of the rear of the house over a fence nearly as bright as a standard police vehicle spotlight. It didn't quite get there but the result was reasonably good considering this little guy is not much bigger than a mini mag light. I pointed the beam about 30' upward and about 60 yards away into the branches of a palm tree and it lit it up very brightly. I also shot the beam at the back of another house about 130 yards away and though the beam was dimmer you could still make out everything pretty good. Even at that distance if you were awake in a room of that house and the light was shining in your window you'd notice it and likely go to the window to check where the light was coming from.

I then pointed the beam at a large tree that I could barely see that was about 300 yards away. You could barely see the beam on the tree but you could see it. So this light has distance limitations if your trying to spot for instance a suspect in a field at more than 230 yards or so. It simply won't handle that kind of distance. Also a spotlight will give more luminance at 200 yards than the Strion will. So that is something to consider. A buddy of mine has one of the Surefires that is about the same size as the Strion and rated at 180 lumens compared to the 160 of the Strion. Both have the same C4 LED, but his Surefire is about 50% brighter than the Strion is. The difference is substantial.

On the other hand despite this the beam of his Surefire won't throw as far as the Strion will for some reason, but anything less than 100 yards away the Surefire blows the Strion away. However his Surefire is available for no less than $60 more than you can get the Strion for. And the Surefire is not rechargable. and that makes the Strion seem more attractive over all. So I think it depends on what is best for your personal needs. Some of the most recent LED tactical lights on the market will certainly blow the Strion away for a lot more moola of course. But there are more economical ways to get a brighter light that is a good quality light for just a little bit more money.

One company that seems to be filling this need for brighter flashlights is Olight. From what I have been hearing they make excellent quality lights and have offerings for as little as $130 that can realistically put out 500 real time lumens. Olight tends to over state their lumen ratings but I have seen a couple of their lights in action and they put out considerably more than one such as the Strion does. In conclusion the Strion is probably one of the brightest small lights on the market, and as long as your not expecting miracles you will be pleased with this light.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best flashlight ever!, January 13, 2011
I just received my Streamlight Strion LED flashlight today and WOW! I own Surefires, Novatacs, and Home Depot cheap LEDS. This thing is super BRIGHT and the best part is RECHARGEABLE! This is mounted to the side of my bed along with my Springfield XD .45 ACP. It's compact and powerful. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Buy it and you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Flashlight, February 8, 2011
I bought this to replace my Stinger, which I used for over 10 years. This light is much brighter, and the white light of the LED is a lot better than the "yellow" light. You can leave this off the charger for a week, put it back in the charger and it only takes about 10 seconds to top off the charge. Loses very little power off the charger. The battery life is also much longer than I was used to. Even with heavy use during my shift the battery has yet to be drained. The beam is even and round with no "spotting". Well built and a great investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surefire vs Streamlight, November 6, 2010
I've used a Surefire 9P for almost ten years and was completely satisfied with the brightness and performance. The drawback was the expensive 123 batteries and short life (about 20 minutes continuous operation. This flashlight blows away the surefires and with the recharging option, is way more economical. The 12v auto charger is a plus also. The small size and brightness at night at distances of 100 yds and greater is amazing and makes a great spotting light for deer. Highly recommend this flashlight for law enforcement, maintenance personnel, hunters and others that need a bright long distance flashlight. The only minus and resulting four star rating is Streamlight's omission of a holster and having to pay $8.95 for a chintzy one similar to those available at flea markets for a dollar.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent light, November 21, 2010
i have used streamlight lights for years and had high expectations for this light. It performs very well.

nice focused beam with just a perfect amount of flood. charges fast and seems to hold a charge well. light is surprisingly lightweight for a metal housed rechargeable, not only fits well on my duty belt it's comfortable to pocket carry as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strion LED Flashlight, February 19, 2011
I carried the Streamlight Stinger for years, but got tired of replacing the xenon bulb and the lithium battery. It was time to upgrade to LED flashlight technology. I tried the Stinger LED, but did not like the larger size compared to the original Stinger. The extra length was uncomfortable when worn on my duty belt. Also, the ribbed rubberized handle made it difficult to deploy the flashlight from a leather scabbard when needed in a hurry. The Strion LED is a worthy replacement. Ideal size for duty carry. Works great for technical, field, and tactical use. Being LED, I'll be glad to see Streamlight offer this light in blue and red illumination. The aftermarket add-on lenses are not worth the expense.

ARRAY(0xa20e0ef4)