3,268 Reviews
 (2,556)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little light with a great switching system
What kind of flashlight can you get at this price point? A really good one, that's what kind. This seemed to be promising too much for the dollar amount, but I gave it a try and I'm glad I did.

Published on August 20, 2010 by David Berryhill

Published 15 months ago by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars The Streamlight Protac HL works well in the end, but not without hastle and more money spent in the begininng., October 26, 2013
I bought this flashlight because I work security detail in an ugly part of my city, and when I need a flashlight, I need it to work consistently every time - because my life could depend on it. For a standard flashlight, that may be too much to ask for, but for a flashlight of this reputation and price, I was expecting much more. I bought the Streamlight Protac HL 2 months ago. It worked for about a month (long enough for the return time to expire), and then the 600 lumen output drastically decreased. I assumed it was exhausted batteries, and so I bought a new package of batteries. The Streamlight did not regain its 600 lumen output. It put out less than 200 lumen, in my estimations. At times the light did not turn on at all when the switch was pressed. I assumed that this was my fault, that maybe I didn't know how to use the Streamlight's "ten-tap" technology. After all, I couldn't find anything on the internet suggesting that anyone had ever had a problem with a Streamlight. I even bought another package of batteries, just to be sure that expired batteries weren't to blame. Sure enough, it was a problem with the flashlight. Bear in mind, I had not abused the light, submerged it, dropped it, exposed it to shock or high heat, and I would go as far as to say I babied it. It spent most of its time in the holster, on my belt.

Streamlight has a limited lifetime warranty on parts defects, and so I decided to send the flashlight to the Streamlight repair facility, after filling out an online repair form on Streamlight's website, accompanied by a detailed description of the problem. I asked them to call me with their findings. I paid for 2 day priority mail, it was shipped within 2 days to their facility, and by the morning of the 3rd day, it was marked as shipped back to customer. I called them and asked what the problem was with my light, and they said it was that I must be using bad or inferior batteries, because they couldn't find anything wrong with the light. I told them that there was indeed a problem with the light, and that I had used both Energiser and Duracell batteries with expiration dates of 2021, and they said that I must be mistaken, and that they strongly recommend more new batteries. Personally, I don't think they looked at it at all.

When the flashlight shipped back to me, I decided to inspect it myself. I figured I'd lose nothing since honoring the warranty was seemingly ignored by Streamlight, and as is, I had a useless paperweight of a flashlight. I started by cutting the rubber button on the tail-cap off, exposing the "guts" of the flash-light's switch, and immediately exposing the problem: corrosion in the tail-cap. An easy fix that I believe that Streamlight should have easily found and fixed. I ordered a new tail-cap on eBay for $16, and the light works like new.

In the end: Does the light work now? Yes, but because I fixed the problem.
Did it work in the beginning? No.
Did Streamlight honor the warranty? No. They insinuated that I was mistaken to weasel out of warranty work, and offered no solution to the problem.
Total cost of flash light after repairs, shipping, and batteries: Easily over $100
Would you recommend this product? No. The product is made in China, offers quality craftsmanship, but poor quality control, and customer service is marginal at best. For you to buy a flash light this expensive, you would have to need it for a tactical/emergency situation, and if it doesn't work in even simple situations, you have a serious problem.

I will probably get steam-rolled for this negative review, but I can only report my experience. I can't speak for the entire Streamlight brand, nor other model flashlights of this brand. I'm only speaking from my experience, and this being my first and only Streamlight, I can tell you that I'm not pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little light with a great switching system, August 20, 2010

Firstly, though, about that 180 lumen rating -- she's bright, but 180 seems a little, um, optimistic.... My very informal and very unscientific assessment would be around 120 or so, which is still pretty darn bright. Throw is decent, and the beam is a good balance between spot and fill. Very useful.

The best part is the switching system. You switch between modes using just the pushbutton on/off click switch in the tailcap (as usual, a little pressure gives you momentary on, push in further to click it to constant on). Press once, and you've got high beam. Press twice within .4 seconds, you've got strobe. Press three times within .8 seconds and you cycle to low beam. I like the feel of the switch; there's quite a bit of travel before you hit the constant-on click. The strobe would certainly be disorienting to an attacker, and the bezel and tailcap have the mandatory crennelations (relief cuts) in case you want to, you know, strike somebody in the head or something. Hey, it is a TACTICAL light, right?

Check the dimensions: at 4.68 inches long, 0.90 inch at its largest diameter, and weighing less than 3 ounces with batteries (I'm going by Streamlight's data here, as I don't have a postal scale handy, but that feels about right), this is one small, lightweight flashlight. The head diameter is barely larger than the body, making it sleek and easy to draw from a pocket. The pocket clip seems pretty sturdy, and a nylon holster is included if you prefer that method of carry. Build quality is adequately rugged, and you've got a lifetime guarantee (excluding abuse and batteries).

Quibbles? Well, the anti-roll flats on the side of the head are mighty subtle, and not very effective on even a slight incline; thankfully the pocket clip stops a roll. The batteries rattle a bit in the body, which I can't stand, but wrapping a piece of adhesive tape around each battery will help to quiet that (not too much, you need to be able to get the batteries back out). And if you like a lanyard, you'll have to improvise, as there's no loop for attaching one. Other than that, I can't find anything to gripe about. There's a lot to like here, especially the switching system. It's so light and slim that I'm not even aware of it clipped in my left rear pocket. Great value, my friends. I'm gonna order a couple more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light at a ground breaking price., June 4, 2012
First, I vacillated between 4 and 5 stars here. I'd give it 5 if it had every feature I wanted, but I'm also picking nits here.

I've only used this light a bit, but I wanted to report on it for those considering one. It's been backordered for months, but did actually ship when the seller said it would.

The PT HL is a crazy bright light, at a price that beats similarly priced lights with lesser output. I have a Surefire GX2 Pro, which is a very good comparison, given they are at a similar price point (indeed the GX2's are priced $15 higher than the PT HL!; bet that situation changes soon...). Both are similar in size and use two CR123A batteries, both have high/low output capabilities.

Some comparisons:

OUTPUT:
PT HL low/high 35/600 lumens, GX2 15/200

Both use LED's; why anyone would buy an old-school bulb flashlight is beyond me unless you are incredibly cheap. Then why are you looking at this light? The ONE virtue of bulbs you don't find in LED flashlights is, with a few exceptions, adjustable beam spread. But the efficiency and reliability of LED's so far outweighs bulbs I don't mind the tradeoff. Just be careful to pick the proper light for your application, which mainly means "how close is your work area?"

To Streamlight's credit, the beam spread of the PT HL is actually a bit wider than the GX2. This is especially good for close work. Creating a pencil-thin beam is a good way to make your output figures look great by concentrating the light in one spot, but such a beam isn't very practical unless you are trying to illuminate something hundreds of feet away.

I'll also be interested to see if I find the slightly brighter low setting a good or bad thing.

So is 600 lumens bright? Why, yes it is! It isn't mind-bogglingly brighter than 200 lumens (which is very bright mind you), but it is most certainly brighter.

BATTERY LIFE:
Streamlight also somewhat 'fess's up about the runtime one can expect when using the high output setting. Their literature states 1 hr 15min on high, 18h on low. But they also provide a graph of the high output as a function of runtime: by 45 minutes, you'll be to half power, by 1.25hrs you'll be to 60 lumens. Let's call it about an hour on high. The GX2 is rated 2hrs high (2hrs until light drops below 50 lumens), 45 hrs on low, so both manufacturer''s are at least writing their specs in a similar manner.

Since I mostly use the low setting, I'm fine with the 18hrs. If you need to constantly use the high setting, you would probably be better off finding a light with greater battery capacity or rechargeability. But then you are talking about a physically larger light.

WATER RESISTANCE:
PT HL "IPX 7" waterproof, which translates to immersion in water up to 1 meter deep, GX2 is "water resistant".

CONSTRUCTION:
PT HL machined aluminum in black, GX2 Nitrolon plastic in black and a few other colors. The aluminum light is very slightly heavier, but as tough as the Nitrolon seems, I think they would both survive similar abuse. One virtue of the Nitrolon is it's non-conductivity, so if you are choosing a light for electrical work, plastic might be a deciding factor. Dropping a flashlight onto bus bars should not be an exciting experience.

SWITCH:
Both are operated via momentary/sustained pushbutton on tail. GX2 has low/high settings, PT HL has three different configurations you can program the button to: high-strobe-low, hi only, low-high. Not sure why they don't give a couple more options, such as low-high-strobe. I don't see myself using the strobe feature much except perhaps for long distance signaling. Normally I want the low-high behavior (like the GX2), but it would be nice to be able to get to the strobe if desired. Putting the strobe in the middle of the high-strobe-low program seems odd, but I'm not using it for tactical purposes. Perhaps it makes SWAT guys happy, but I don't want to have to step through the strobe to get to the low & high settings that I'll be using 98% of the time, and I rarely see myself wanting to start the light on high.

OTHER:
The PT HL comes with a nylon holster, the GX2 does not. Both provide an option for a lanyard, but both suffer the problem of the lanyard attachment point being part of either the pocket clip (standard with the PT HL), or a ring sandwiched between the body and tailcap of the GX2. If you find the pocket clip (like a ball point clip) on the PT HL annoying, you can remove it. Both types of clip don't look like they would survive if you really yanked the lanyard. But if something is pulling the light that hard, maybe you don't want the lanyard around your neck to be connected to the light anymore...

The PT HL pocket clip is also deathly tight: if you want to use the clip, you'll probably want to adjust it with pliers to your liking.

I also don't see much in the way of other accessories for this light (yet). I'd like a red filter, which is available for the GX2.

In summary, this is a great super-bright light, by one of the oldest names in flashlights. I think they've got a winner here for sure. Probably the things you'll want to consider in making your choice are: case color, run time, intensity, plastic or metal case, need for seizure-inducting strobe feature.

--------------

A little update:

-After studying the lanyard clip on the PT HL, it would take an immense amount of force to tear it off the light. The only downside is if you want to use a lanyard attachment point but find the "pen clip" feature needless and in the way, too bad, you get them as a team.

-Unlike the GX2, you have to double-click the button to move between modes. Sometimes. I can't figure out Steamlight's logic behind this. I.e.: You click once to turn on the light, double-click to move from low to high, single-click to move back to low. Part of this makes sense, since a hard press of the button is electrically turning the light on and off, but a gentle touch is making a momentary interruption the software can pick up on to change states. But even then, some soft touches are single presses and some are double.

The switch is well designed and requires a deliberate touch, so I don't think this programming prevents any accidental changes. The double-click takes a tiny bit of getting used to, as the GX2 just requires you to click the button once to switch modes. One the other hand, the GX2 has the twist-to-turn-on feature, which is annoying in its own special way. More problematic is when the ProTAC is set to hi-strobe-low, I find it hard to get from strobe to low. It's oddly touchy about how you double-click it. I don't much care in this particular situation because as I mentioned I don't see myself using that button setup.

-My reaction to the brighter low setting of the PT HL vs. the GX2's low setting: It's brighter, duh. There might be a very good reason Streamlight chose this brightness level for the low setting, perhaps in response to some particular user group feedback. I'm afraid for my miscellaneous uses it is a tad unnecessarily bright; what I really would like to see is another couple of program settings for the button, either extralow-high, or extralow-low-high, or extralow-low-high-strobe! Hey, it's got a processor in it, why not make it do everything? You just don't need this this much light on low to look at a map or read a driver's license. All it does is manage to temporally trash your night vision.

-After extensive night-time walking around the woods and fields near the house, it becomes apparent just how much brighter the PT HL is than the GX2. GX2 is no slouch, but this is really wicked bright, and I like the distribution of the beam better than the GX2. The only thing that makes it that much more amazing is that it's coming from a little light you had in your pocket a moment ago!

-One minor but possibly important oddity: Apparently the PT HL is using a pulse width modulation (PWM) scheme to provide the low light setting. What this means is that the processor is pulsing the LED on and off very quickly, so quickly that the light appears constantly on but dim. The downside to this is when in the low setting, the frequency of the PWM is fairly slow. If you are out in the rain or snow, you'll notice a stroboscopic stop-motion effect with the rain drops or snow flakes. This may just be annoying but perhaps more seriously, if you are considering using this to service equipment with spinning parts, it may create a hazardous situation if you are looking at gears or blowers, and the stroboscopic effect causes the spinning equipment to appear to be running at different speeds than it really is, even backwards, or barely moving at all! You won't have this problem on the high setting, but you've been warned. The GX2 does not seem to exhibit this behavior.

More testing on this issue: As mentioned, the low setting of the PT HL strobes above the persistence of vision, which is why it doesn't look like it is strobing. But the pulse rate is a very low 130Hz, or pulses per second. This is slow. I tried shining it on a variety of moving devices around the house to see what the effect would be. Blowers, power tools, car parts, appliances and the like. While you might be viewing these objects with some ambient light diffusing the effect, if you are relying solely on the light of the PT HL you may have issues. At 130Hz, I can make spinning drills appear to stop or even run backwards. Same with low speed cutting devices like a reciprocating saw. Peering under the hood of the car, radiator fans appeared to turn slowly, belts and pulleys slowed, stopped, or ran backwards dependent upon engine speed. In short, this phenomenon can range from totally inconsequential in some applications, annoying in others (think snow or rain as I mentioned), to downright dangerous if it causes you to misinterpret the operating state of some piece of machinery you are looking at. Imagine a noisy mechanical room where you can't tell by hearing if a particular piece of equipment is running, and you are evaluating a spinning gear solely on its motion. Go ahead and touch it...

This issue may be tolerable if you are aware of its existence; if you are purchasing a bunch of these lights for your HVAC mechanics, you might want to seriously consider a different product.

For LEO's, aside from the rain & snow situations I've mentioned, I should also note that if out searching in the tall weeds, moving one's eyes and the flashlight around can also create very subtle strobing effects. The weeds sort of flicker, especially in one's peripheral vision, which is more sensitive to contrast changes then central foveal vision. Some people are more sensitive to this than others, so this tweaky issue may not be a bother to many folk. For the sensitive folks, hunting around in the weeds for a couple of hours looking for evidence may be unnecessarily exhausting & headache inducing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Down and Dirty, November 14, 2010
I have the Surfire Backup to compare this to, and for price buy the Streamlight 88031. If you have to have a heavier feel with a blinding white light get the Surefire Backup (I use it in my job).
Surfire is the Caddy
Streamlight is the dependable Chevy.
Cons with the 88031 as others have said, the strobe should be the third press to the tailcap not the second, but it sure does mess with someone coming at you. I am in the Marines and we tried this out as a warning or to distract someone coming at you. All those we tested the strobe on in the dark hated the disorienting flash. That being said I use the plain bright white light or the dim light much more than a strobe.
Bottom line I'm buying another to put in the car to use a a safety and back up light.
Buy it for work and play. Easy to carry and lots of light.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you know what you're buying, this is a great light!, November 12, 2012
iKarith (The Internet) - See all my reviews
This may not be the flashlight for you. If you're looking for a basic general purpose light, you probably are going to be happier with the Streamlight Stylus Pro at almost half the price, or if you want something with a few more features, try the 4Sevens Preon 2. Good lights, both.

But neither of them is what the ProTac 2AAA is. I'll address that "tactical" stuff first for all you zombie hunters, then we'll address real human beings, and finish up with some stuff that applies to everyone.

Zombie Hunters and tactical crowd
----------

The ProTac 2AAA is more or less designed to be a forward-clicking momentary light. That's why the tailcap is so stiff. It's a "tactical" light, and a bright light at night is just as good as a bullseye. That's one school of thought on lights, and it's one use this light is made for.

The next tactical use is to hold between middle and ring fingers of a shooter's support hand. A lot of lights are too thick to make that work, but AAA-based penlights generally are easier to do it. The Streamlight Stylus Pro and the ProTac 2AAA are perfect for this, but the ProTac is obviously going to have a hotter hotspot and be brighter overall. The light might make you a target, but the way you hold it helps keep YOU on target. That's use #2.

The light has three modes, a high, a low, and a rapid strobe "disco" setting, which general flashaholics object to being between the high and low modes. But again, being in the middle makes it easy to get to for a momentary flash in the face--and people have found in real-world testing that being strobed by this thing in the dark really is awfully disorienting and uncomfortable. That's use #3, and finishes out the tacticool features.

The crenelations are there to look cool, but seriously you're not gonna be cracking zombie coconuts with this thing. But if you study something like Small Circle Jujitsu, you'll probably discover that this flashlight would make for brutal finger locks! You may want to ditch the pocket clip in that case and find a good sheath.

Regular Human Beings
-----------

Now, if you're a normal human being in a city, probably the only zombies you have to face on a regular basis are coming out of malls, university classrooms, clubs, and local brew pubs. If that's you, well, let's consider your needs for a "tactical" light:

If you need your light to have a good throw, but not necessarily be a floodlight, this might be a good choice for you. For what it is (a 2xAAA based penlight), it's amazingly bright. It will light up that dark spot ahead of you before you get to it, especially on dark, rainy nights in the city. Don't expect it to light up the whole alley at once, but you can sweep it across the potentially risky spots to find trouble lurking before it finds you. You're not going to get a solid flood and good throw in a light this small, so you have to pick one. If you're picking throw as I am, this is your light.

Second, I live in the urban jungle and frankly it's easier to take public transit than to drive. Well, that strobe mode is again awfully bright. Point the light at the ground and I guarantee you the bus driver WILL see it. Point it downward, not at the driver. Unless you want them to stop the bus for you by crashing it into a pole, of course, because the thing is that bright. Seriously don't try that at home, folks!

Third, the low mode is still very bright. I've used that lower setting quite a bit, and I find it's sufficiently bright even for cleaning cuts, scrapes, and doing other basic first aid.

Everybody
----------

First let's address the cons. The light has anti-roll features. They're not terribly effective, actually. The pocket clip is much better at stopping a rolling light, but in certain uses you might want to remove that. No lanyard hole either, though that's common of lights with tailcap switches.

You may also find out of the package that your threads are a little dry. A drop of a quality oil will do wonders and enhance the life of your O ring. Your light is fairly waterproof to a given depth as long as your seals are intact. That's true of any device, so take care of them.

It also sucks down alkaline batteries, though that's an obvious function of the bright LED, the tiny AAA batteries, and the lack of a truly low-light mode. I'm not really calling this a con, since you can just as easily swap out the alkalines for Energizer lithiums (either Advanced or Ultimate for a bit longer life. Personally I buy these things seemingly by the truck load anyway for emergency battery uses since they have such low self-discharge rates, though that's another review.

I said at the beginning that if you know what you're buying, you will be happy with this light. It's a great tool, easy to carry, and for its size it packs amazing

A Final Note on Why Not 5 Stars
-----------

I'm rating what would otherwise be a 5 star flashlight as 4 stars because I had a defect or something. That stiff rubber cap? Mine's gone after carrying it in my pocket awhile. Now, it looks like it threads on to the end of the tail cap or something, but I can't put it back on because it's not there. I emailed Streamlight asking if they sold replacement tailcaps for this light, as I know they do for the Stylus Pro. They responded within 24 hours asking for my address to send me a new one, free of charge. So while the light lost a star in my estimation, Streamlight itself has earned themselves a full five stars in my estimation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flashlight, February 13, 2011
I have had this flashlight for 6-months now and will never buy a different kind. The AA battery option are super convenient, the size of the light is perfect, and everybody at my job is looking to get one. I am a EMS helicopter pilot and this flashlight illuminates the entire side of my aircraft on the darkest of nights and allows me to look in every area of the engine/transmission areas with confidence that I will find any problem areas. A great, great, flashlight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive little light!, October 6, 2010
With their recent price drops for LED lights and the addition of the C4 LED, I ordered a number of Streamlights to do my own comparison. This and the Streamlight Nightfighter are my favorites so far. For comparison, I ordered the below Streamlights-they're listed in order of decreasing PERCEIVED light:

Streamlight 88005 Night Fighter NF, C4 LED Tactical Flashlight, Black (2 CR123) 120 lumens
Designed (with removable doughnut) for use with sidearms/2-handed hold-very comfortable grip.
Seems to be brighter than the higher rated PT-2L, but probably because it has a larger reflector.
Simpler switch design (to eliminate mistakes under stress)-no strobe/various outputs-just push for momentary on-twist the end cap for constant on.
EDIT 6-19-11: I see Streamlight now has a Nightfighter X, which appears physically identical to the above Nightfighter, but now has a high/low/strobe setting. The spec sheet also shows the newer X model has a higher output (200 vs. 160 lumens), but you lose 1 hour of runtime!

PT-2L (2 CR123) 180/10 lumens
Darn close in output to the Nightfighter, but is slimmer since the head is the size of the body.
For those with larger hands or slight carpal tunnel, the Nightfighter may be more comfortable while holding with a fist grip?

PT-2AA (2 AA) 120/14 lumens
The AA version of the PT-2L if you prefer AA over CR123 batteries, but it's not quite as bright.

Streamlight JR (2 AA) 55 lumens
'Bout the size of a mini Maglite, but an inch? longer-not bad, but I might have preferred it be an inch shorter?

The below are a step below in output and do not have the newer C4 LED.
They're not bad for pocket lights, but they're not really for serious work.
Streamlight Stylus Pro (2 AAA) 24 lumens
Streamlight Microstream (1 AAA) 20 lumens
(EDIT: Check, since as of 12-29-11, Streamlight has now upgraded some of the lowr output pocket lightw with the newer C4 LED. I believe the Stylus Pro has increased from 24 to 48 lumens).

I have a 2 D-Cell Maglite that I installed the Maglite LED bulb in-the PT-2L puts it to shame!
The LED drop-in for the Maglite was a big improvement, but the beam is tightly focused-if you twist the focusing head, you get more light on the edges, but you have a big dark spot in the middle. The PT-2L puts out more center light than the Maglite with LED (but it's pretty close), but the PT-2L has much better light at the edges-it tends to light up a much bigger area.

I have a few Nightfighters for use with a 2-handed hold of firearms, but ordered some more of the PT-2L to use as glove box lights in all my vehicles. Tough call between it and the Nightfighter, but since I got the PT-2L for around 2/3 (or less) the price of the Nightfighter, and they're going to be in vehicle glove boxes, I opted for more PT-2L models.

This would make a great SERIOUS light for women (or a larger pocket light)-it takes up very little space, but is blindingly bright!

Prices vary-shop around!

EDIT: I've started wearing one of these on my belt at all times, using the included nylon pouch. As stated in my review, the Nightfighter may be slightly brighter, but the PT-2L is smaller/slimmer and in its pouch, it is about the same length as my cell phone belt case.
I found someone with a 3 D-cell LED Maglite for comparison-I wondered if the LED Maglites worked better than mine with the drop-in LED (by Maglite). It appears they made no changes to the reflector/focusing on the LED models vs. my upgraded one-the 3 D-cell LED Maglite seems identical to my 2 D-cell upgraded one for both light output and rendering the focusing head pretty much useless. Maglite really needs to work on their reflector with the LEDs! They throw a decent, but extremely tight beam-if you try to broaden the light with the focusing ring, you get a black hole in the middle with very little light at the edges-the PT-2L puts both of 'em to shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Streamlite vs. Surefire, April 21, 2011
I'm a flashlight geek.

I also recently bought the SureFire E2D LED Defender Flashlight Max-200 Lumens E2DL-BK, which sells for about 4x what the Streamlight costs.

Side by side, here's what I've observed:

The Surefire light is rated at 200 lumens, while the Streamlight claims 180. That seems about right, the Streamlight appears to be just a tiny bit dimmer than the Surefire.

Both flashlights are astonishingly bright, and either of them absolutely spank a big D-cell Maglight in terms of light output, even LED D-cell Maglights. No contest whatsoever.

While the light beam from the Surefire is perfectly homogenous, the beam from the Streamlight looks like an "old-fashioned" flashlight beam with a noticeable darker central region and a faintly visible concentric circles pattern when you see the light on a flat surface. This in no way diminishes the quality of illumination.

The Streamlight is considerably shorter and slightly thinner than the Surefire E2D. Both use 2 CR123A lithium batteries.

Like the Surefire, the Streamlight uses a click-on, click-off tailcap switch, and also like the Surefire, using the right sequence of clicks activates the low-power setting on the light which still produces a very useable amount of light but gives you very long battery life.

Unlike the Surefire E2D, the Streamlight also lets you select, via the right combination of clicks on the tailcap, a rapid strobe setting, several flashes per second, that I suppose would be momentarily disorienting to an attacker should you ever have to use the flashlight defensively. It sure knocked me for a loop when I tried it on myself.

The Surefire E2D, though very small, would make a nasty hand weapon for self-defense. The Streamlight - not so much. Then again, the Surefire's aggressive head and tail crenelations will very likely end up tearing holes in any pocket it spends a lot of time in, while the Streamlight won't.

Workmanship on the Streamlight seems to be pretty good, and the tailcap switch feels about as sturdy as the switch on the Surefire.

The Surefire E2D costs four times as much as the Streamlight 88031 Protac, but in my estimation it's not a 4x better flashlight. Maybe it's more like 2x better than the Streamlight.

Overall, I think the Streamlight is an excellent flashlight and for the price, it's hard to beat. I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light for the money, October 18, 2010
I would absolutely purchase this product again. Having played with various streamlight and other tactical light brand products, I chose this one and wouldn't look back. I keep this hooked on a belt loop on my pants and can easily access it with my left hand. It is out of the way, small, light and BRIGHT! I would recommend buying the batteries in bulk, as they are about $6 each individually or $2 or so if you buy them 10+ at a t time. The battery life is acceptable. My only complaint is that strobe is the second option while the dimmer light is the third. I wish this was reversed, as my usual need is a dim light, but I have to go bright, strobe, dim to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Small Flashlight, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Streamlight 88033 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2AA with White LED Includes 2 "AA" Alkaline Batteries and Holster, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I decided I wanted to stray away from those cr123 batteries & buy a small flashlight that used AA batteries or AAA batteries. Since I already have 3 Streamlight flashlights & 2 headlamps; Streamlight is know by me for dependability. This is a bright flashlight with a glass lens for its size & does not need those expensive cr123 batteries. If you go camping or whatever; you can get AA batteries in almost any store. I have seen when I had to watch how much I used the flashlights that used the cr123 batteries. The strobe on this flashlight would confuse anyone shined close up in their eyes. The 3rd mode would be great for reading in the dark. It even comes with a black velcro holster to wear with you that clips to your pants or on a belt. I might add a lanyard to mine. (A small cord that is hooked to the flashlight & can wrap around your wrist.) Both ends on this flashlight have defensive bezels if needed for close self defense. This flashlight fits perfect in the pocket of a T-shirt. Buy one & you'll be amazed with this amazing flashlight! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!