Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 3, 1999
If you fish for trout in Pennsylvania, buy this book! The author was born next to a trout stream in PA. He has actually fished in most of the streams he writes about, and provides accurate information about the streams and the hatches to expect. It contains maps and the locations of the special project areas (e.g. artifical lures or fly-fishing only). I have tried a number of streams based soley on his recommendations and have not been disappointed. This is the second edition; it contains a number of streams not included in the first. It is practical and clearly written.
on December 12, 2011
I should have read reviews before purchasing this book but I assumed Charlie Meck would have something good here. I was dissapointed, apparently so has everyone else who bought this book. He adds very little detail to the streams he mentions, and he mentions a ton of them. I expected more, in the section regarding Bowmans Creek, which is calls at one time his "home" stream, he even gives an improper location of the Fly Fishing only section, the map is marked wrong, duh.
on May 18, 2012
I was very excited to get this book - unedxpectedly as I did. I had asked a question in a fly shop and the owner showed this book to me, I bought it, then read it cover to cover. As a fly-fisherman from upstate NY, this book solved many of my curiosities about fishing in PA. I now feel I know where I want to go, and why I want to go to these certain streams.

What I think Meck did well is the following. He knows where he's going - he's been to these rivers. His personal experiences, along with describing local fly fishermen from many of the streams, lent a degree of authenticity to his reviews. I think he was pretty honest about some streams that are not as good now as others, or maybe as good now as they were themselves in the past. He does a great job I felt with describing the temperature situations and how they vary not only from stream to stream but within a stream as well. He also does a nice job reminding us how to be good conservationists as we fish, and what our role can be if we were to live in the area - with helping out the local agencies that are trying to support and protect these streams.

What he is really good at - but which I could do less with - is the hatch information. I understand how some people really want that info, but I found it very redundant, telling how they each have essentially many of the same hatches - during most of the same weeks - over and over and over. He does a very thorough job with this, he's very good at it, just as a reader, it was more than I personally wanted.

What I would have liked to see more of - and this is just me - is more of the recommendations for inns, diners, etc. I guess that comes from an out of stater - that would be for someone else to write about I guess. Also, I found some issues with the maps. If you have a section on a certain steam, they should be on the map. Sometimes they weren't. I'm sure I saw a few errors as well on some points.

Overall, i enjoyed the book a lot. It gave me a very good background to fly fishing PA. I now feel confident that I will purchase a PA fishing license and head to PA to leave some of my money in it's economy.
on April 19, 2014
this book is nice but if the 2nd edition is available you should think about getting it instead. i bought this one and thought it was ok but was later given a copy of the 2nd Ed and the information about what patterns to use at what time on which stream is much more clear and organized. if i had known there would be such a difference i would have hunted for a copy of the 2nd Ed.
on April 16, 2015
I wish it included a hatch chart that was linked to rough dates (time frames). While it does include a great many streams, there are a few that I wish would have made it into the book. Overall I think it is an essential component of the PA Fly Fisherman's Arsenal.
on April 20, 2015
Good item if you like fly fishing PA
on May 18, 2011
We bought the book for our brother and he was reading it immediately after opening. He seemed very excited about the info and claims he will carry it with him in his fishing box.
on January 1, 2014
I grew up around many of these streams and my brother and husband talk about them. Some day when we get back to PA, we'll have to do some fishing.
on April 14, 2011
This is a must have book for Pennsylvania fisherman. We are North Central and use this book for streams in the area.
on January 11, 2014
Meck always puts out a good book filled with information that can be used through out your fly fishing experience.