on July 19, 2003
First of all, I'd just like to start off by saying how sorry I am that I have to give this DVD four stars instead of five. The reasons are the following:
- The animation and art quality of this series is kinda bad...although at times it will look great, most of the times the characters keep changing how they look- sometimes they look buff, other times they look thin and ugly, other times they look stupid... as if the artists were always taking turns drawing.
- At times, the DVD color will screw up a little. Though, not really a major problem after you get used to it, but in the beginning, it might become very annoying.
- The biggest flaw in the DVD- They took away the intro theme song(Kaze fuiteru- which, btw, is the best anime song I'v ever heard by far.) and video, and they also took out the ending theme. These were replaced by a techno like theme which is ok, but I'd much rather have Kaze Fuiteru instead.
- Even though the Japanese voices are the perfect choice for the characters, sometimes they're moving their lips and instead we will either listen to laughing(which wont match the lips) or nothing at all...
But, now for the pluses of this wonderful series and DVD:
- The japanese voices are P E R F E C T for every single character, even the Director of Fei Long's movie. I specially like Chun- Li's voice, which is as cute as you can get.
- The english voices are OK...although at times I feel like Manga only casted these voices for their battle cries and yelling. Ken and Chun- Li's battle cries are pretty good, but their voices are awful, they dont match the characters at all.
Fei Long's voice is good, although his Bruce Lee like yelling during his fight with Ken was not Bruce Lee at all...more like a high pitched rip off of the american Fei Long voice in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.
Ryu and Guile's voice are excellent. If I'm not mistaken, they are the same voices from SFII, which is very pleasing, as I loved Guile's voice in the animated movie aswell.
In the american dub, they also change around alot of the things the japanese voices are saying, and sometimes they even add words where they shouldn't be. This doesn't bother me, though.
- The DVD has seven episodes. This is great, because the VHS only had three.
- It contains a trailer of various Manga Animes(which is pretty cool if you enjoy anime), including the trailer to the series.
- It contains a catalogue of Manga Anime.
- It has the intro theme song remix- I'd still prefer Kaze Fuiteru, or Cry.
- The character development is great. The characters are really unique, and you'll end up either loving them, or hating them.
- The fights are superb- specially Fei Long vs Ken and Ryu vs Guile. AWSOME FIGHTS.
- The music. The music which plays during the fights and such is really catchy and enjoyable.
Overall, if you like Anime, Martial Arts, or Street Fighter, this DVD is for you!
I cant wait to recieve Volume 2, which I will order in a couple of days.
on June 4, 2003
If you are a martial arts, Street Fighter or anime fan, you should do yourself a favor and pick up Street Fighter II V. I am a fan of all three and my enjoyment with this DVD was very high. I like how they retold the Street Fighter mythos, instead of just rehashing the same story from the video games. I think Ryu and Ken are very interesting people and there adventures moved at such an exciting and fast pace, I couldn't stop watching until the entire DVD was over.
The first volume is my favorite. The first episode really gets you on Ryu and Ken's side and you can't wait to see how they will become world class street fighters.
The animation was great, especially the martial arts sequences. I really like how they drew all the Street Fighter guys and the original characters were also very well drawn.
The sound is great. I prefer the english dub over the japanese voices with subtitling, but thankfully both options are available with this DVD. The opening and closing theme music are great. Street Fighter II V is my favorite martial arts anime. Try to find the box set instead of buying each individual volume though, because you won't want to miss a single episode. This DVD is worth owning.
on February 27, 2001
I remember watching the movies and the old show. I think this is new show. The main characters(Ryu and Ken)are younger then on the orginal show and on the movies and games. Even so, this is a great anime. The first dvd ends where Ryu learns about ki and blue flame. (Haduken anyone?) Not much fireballs like Haduken and tiger so far. But there did have Ken do his uppercut and Guile do his uppercut kick. The fighting scenes are great, I like how they do some affects like fatal fury, forexample when they get punched really hard they cough up blood. But most of the time you only see bruises on their faces. This is a great anime if you have money. There will be about 10 more dvds coming out. Great anime to watch!
on June 3, 2002
I bought all four volumes and was not disappointed. The story is great, action is frequent, many of the main characters are included (Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Bison, Vega, Zangief, Cammy, Balrog, Dhalsim, Sagat, Fei-Long, did I forget anybody??).
I STRONGLY recommend that if you are getting this get all 4 volumes. You'll find yourself hungering for what happens next and the finale is worth it!!! :)
The only reason I held back from giving this a full 5 star rating is because I got some glitches on a couple of the episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of how many episodes they crammed into each disc.
Still, sans glitches this is a must for true anime fans and Street Fighter junkies.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought all 4 of these DVDs some time ago and only started to watch them now. I liked the Street Fighter II animated movie but I was put off watching this one as I wasn't too keen on Street Fighter Zero, even if this series is directed by Gisaburo Sugii who did Street Fighter II (as well as the brilliant Night on the Galactic Railroad). How is that for confusing?

What makes this better than the rather dour Street Fighter Zero is that it has a pretty good sense of humor, great fight scenes, interesting plots and the occasional moment of cartoonish goofiness. Each episode is made up of a brand new adventure as Ken and Ryu travel the world, getting into mischief. A simple formula, but it works.

Since the show is from the mid-nineties the animation isn't as smooth as more recent stuff, but you shouldn't let that ruin your enjoyment. The only thing I can complain about is the opening credit sequence, which just takes too long.

The DVD is in 1.33:1, as originally drawn with Dolby Stereo sound. Extras are limited to a few Manga trailers.
on May 7, 2001
It's a great beginning to a great video game based series.The animation is great. The plot fits nicely into the story.There's lots of fighting scenes. The english dub is pretty good. This dvd has a total of seven ,30 minute episodes. It also has two language formats both english & original japanese with english subtitles. This dvd is a must buy!!! I recommend!!! I give it 5 stars!
on January 18, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this series, however, I've been having some annoying problems with this disc. For starters, episodes 5 through 7 are all "glitchy", and I often get some skips during the animation. Also, some episodes can't be chosen from the menu without my getting a "Disc Error". It could be just the incompatibility from my DVD Player, but incompatibilities are annoying, and should be fixed. Otherwise, the DVD has crisp, clean picture, and great sound.
Also, you get seven great episodes into one DVD. Can't go wrong there, now can you? Street Fighter II V is a fast-moving series with great animation, great characters, and music...? Well, I would have preferred an orchestra playing the music as opposed to the cheap synthesized sound playing in the background. I would have also liked to see Manga use the original opening theme instead of their alternate one (which is still cool, however, the original is about ten times better).
Nevertheless, this is a great series, and if you enjoy action-packed fighting scenes, then Street Fighter II V is the anime for you. However, if you own a DVD player, it'd be best to rent it first to see if it is compatible with your player. If it is, go and buy it somewhere, if it isn't, try owning it on VHS.
on March 11, 2001
S.F.IIV marks the beginning of a new genegeration of S.F.This movie is pretty similar to S.F.II and all the events of it comes before S.F.II the animated movie.If you haven't seen the movie or you already watched it but didn't get it,this anime would be an excelent option to know more about Street Fighter.The animation is great and the action scenes even better,I absolutely recomend this one.This anime is a blast!!!
on May 14, 2002
If you don't have high expectations this is a good DVD to buy. Since this is only the beginning of the series the story doesn't really hit the runway til the third episode, and it doesn't take off until the fifth episode. The music leaves something to be desired, but the action is good. Though I'm hoping it improves with the next volume, I am not at all disapointed in this DVD.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A lot of die hard fans gave this volume 5 stars. I believe that is fandom clouding their judgement. The music is absolutely horrible. I felt like I was watching an animated series for little girls, which plays poorly against the violent theme and adult language.
The story in this volume is not very exciting either. They do a great job demonstrating the bond between Ryu and Ken. That is probably the best thing about the series at this point. The only characters introduced are Guile, Chun Li, and Fei Long. The fighting is bland, the animation is made-for-TV anime. The only reason I give this 3 stars is that fandom is clouding my better judgement and this is just the beginning of the series.