Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Streets / Angel in Red (Roger Corman's Cult Classics Double Feature)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 28, 2012
Imagine my surprise as I'm scoping out Amazon when I come across two lost movies I was beginning to think would never hit DVD: STREETS, which is among my top 10 favorite movies, and ANGEL IN RED, another good picture. Both feature ingenues who were big on TV: Christina Applegate from Married with Children and Leslie Bega from Head of the Class. These films, made in the early Nineties, have taken 20 years to make it to disk. Frankly, I don't understand what took so long. Granted, neither is well known but there have been opportunities to cash in on these titles before.
Christina Applegate has maintained a relatively high profile over the years thanks to shows like Samantha Who? and Up All Night as well as her battle with breast cancer. And at 40 she has aged extremely well and is still a major hottie. STREETS was made at the height of her popularity and contains one of her only love scenes to date. In STREETS she plays Dawn, a teenage prostitute who's befriends a young runaway named Sy. Under a LA pier Dawn's "business" with a mysterious stranger (whom we later learn is a cop named Lumley) goes horribly wrong when things turns violent. After escaping him Dawn and Sy wander the streets and we meet an assortment of disturbed and homeless people. Later on, Lumley catches up to Dawn who, along with Sy, have to fight for their lives. A bit of trivia; EG Daily who sings "Dawn's Theme" also appeared as Candy in THE DEVIL'S REJECTS playing -believe it or not- a prostitute.
When Leslie Bega appeared on The Sopranos and posed for Maxim magazine you'd think ANGEL IN RED would've seen the light of day. More surprising since Bega has no less than THREE topless scenes in this flick. She plays Micki, a young prostitute who is also caring for her abused and mentally disabled brother. When her pimp Sharkey (played by a very young Jeffrey Dean Morgan-holy cow!) goes mad and kills her best friend Joey (who is also one of Sharkey's girls) she enlists the aid of a rival pimp Stash to deal with him. Sharkey kills Stash's henchmen and hunts down Micki killing everybody in his path. A dramatic ending hammers it home. This movie contains a few deleted scenes not in earlier versions that mostly contain nudity. It also retains it's original title as it was renamed UNCAGED for the VHS release. Both movies are well acted and very engaging.
Both films were reviewed by me. You can read them on Amazon.
For this release, it's gratifying to know that both movies are presented in anamorphic widescreen. Although the presentation is somewhat grainy they're both a major step up from videotape. Many multipack DVD combos still present their low budget movies in fullscreen only. Why I'll never know.
A seperate and eventual Blu-ray release for each movie -along with commentaries- would be preferable, but for now this'll do just fine.
on December 3, 2015
christina applegates first film just before landing her most popular and most stable roll on tv(she was in a very short lived tv show mostly forgotten about called "street justice" which lasted a mere 6 episodes before getting canceled in between these) . check our her film don't tell mom the babysitters dead and compare carefully her "beauty" subtle changes but i noticed! the other film is a comparitor but good companion for a double feature!
on February 11, 2015
For me personally, Streets is one of my personal faves of all time. The first time I saw it, I had to know who directed that film and what other films did they make, because there is just something about Streets that is quite haunting. The film also made me see Christina Applegate in a new light.

I think one of the key reasons why this film is so successful is b/c they give us such a complex, multi faceted character. One of my favorite lines in the film is how Applegate thinks of herself as being greedy b/c she wanted things such a bed to sleep in. It's dialogue throughout the film that you just can't quite forget that has caused Streets to have such a lasting impression on me.

As for the DVD, Streets has never looked better. The colors and the setting really pop in the new presentation.
on August 31, 2012
I liked Streets better than Angel in Red. I had seen Streets in college and wanted to get it for a long time. It is totally unlike Christina Applegate's other roles. Imagine her Married With Children character as a whore. It is a total drama/action, as a kid who has run away rescues her from a killer. Unfortunately, the killer is a cop and chases them down as she shows the kid around the shady underworld of the streets and does her business in the "world's oldest profession." The killer cop stuff all but ruins a decent film.
Angel in Red was basically about a band of prostitutes trying to keep one of their kids away from their pimp. Not too good.
on November 17, 2013
I first saw Angel in Red on cable tv a long time ago. I dont normally gravitate toward the pimp/prostitute genre however, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is absolutely gorgeous, and so is Leslie Bega who is one of my favorite actresses. This movie has a sub theme though. It's not just all about the prostitutes and their relationship with the psychotic Morgan who plays the out of control pimp. These women do this for a reason. They dont glamorize the life. They show how ridiculous it can be, how tiring, they talk about getting out. It really resonates with you that these women are doing this because they HAVE to ... not because they WANT to. Especially the role that Bega plays...Mickie. She is taking care of her brain damaged brother...who became that way after their father punched him in the head. Of course the mother is dead and now it's up to Mickie to take care of him. She's basically an "Angel". She treats her johns with respect, and has many regulars who appreciate her honesty and good nature. While her hooker friends are robbing tricks, Mickie would never dream of that. She's a good character and she genuinely loves Sharkey, the pimp.

The movie is good. It can be cheesy at times but Bega does a great job and Morgan an even better one. For a low budget movie these are two good actors. Perhaps the best part of the movie though for me (besides a gorgeous, young Morgan) - is the singer who does several of the movie's scores. At the end, the most climactic moment of the movie, the song begins and it plays throughout the closing credits until the movie blacks out. It's called WARRIOR and the singer is Odette Springer. What a talented voice she has. The first time I saw the movie and heard this song I fell in love with it. I searched for years and years and there is NO mention of this song anywhere, not even on the vast internet. So when i picked up this copy of the movie - I recorded the song from the DVD onto my computer and now it's on my ipod and i can enjoy it wherever I go.

I havent watched Streets yet, but I'm seeing that it got good reviews. I'm glad I spent the money to purchase this rare DVD.
on January 15, 2012
A couple of low budget, Friday-night-movies kind of item, which lend to glancing while one prepares a microwave dinner, actually have a very strong pull, with good scripts an exceptionally good acting.

"Streets" is the better film, as Christina Applegate once again shows she is easily among the very best of the new generation (1989) - her range is astonishing for her age. She plays the kid from the "streets", caught in-between: too smart for what she's doing but too unfocused and disoriented to take her [street] smarts to a college entrance exam and a modeling agency. She hooks up with a "fringe" streeter, a nice guy (Sy) from the suburbs, who hangs out with trouble...when things get wierd, he's back at the train station. In all the youthful confusion, real Love finds them...and separates them. While they navigate the city they must deal with an out of control Lawman, whose hobby is terrorizing young women in the early morning, beneath the piers.

"Angel In Red" from a years after, is more 'arty", appearing to be filmed on used celluloid, a careful blend of shadow and high contrast colour. The lead is Leslie Bega, as Mickie, who arrives in town with her brain damaged but protective Brother. The nemesis is the Pimp Stash, played intensely by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I kept waiting for Mickie to be revealed as a naive College kid who thinks she can penetrate this benighted existence and write her thesis (while rescuing her new found friends). Not bad, huh?

Not sure that for 27 bucks we have something 50-inch worthy but if the DVD gos out of irculation...then, yes. Also, if you love Married With Children. (Had to say it, Christina).
on January 19, 2015
Streets: Christina Applegate gives a profound performance in what is otherwise a 'B' movie. Kudos to her for being brave enough to play such a difficult role in such a dark movie. Angel in Red: Not enough story to carry this movie. Actors just going through the motions without caring about the gist of the story.
on June 27, 2015
First saw Streets 10+ years ago, the captivating story and performances by all actors involved is truly astonishing. You won't see movies like this today, this is truly one of the seat gripping thrillers of old. I give it my prestigious rating of 5 stars. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do.
on November 7, 2013
Bought this because it was an early Jeffrey Dean Morgan movie. Was NOT disappointed!! Was a gifted actor from the beginning!
on December 30, 2014
Finding Streets was like next to impossible, so I was so happy & hella surprised to find it on DVD one day... haven't seen that movie literally since it came out on cable years ago.