5.0 out of 5 stars Best item I bought for the trip!
Published on April 18, 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars A limited view of Paris
Published on October 7, 2006 by Claudia Hommel

5.0 out of 5 stars Best item I bought for the trip!, April 18, 2004
Amazon Customer "beckster32" (North Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streetwise Paris Map - Laminated City Center Street Map of Paris, France (Map)
This map got us everywhere we wanted to go in Paris for our 1 week visit. I began using it right off the plane when our shuttle driver didn't know where our apartment was. We used it to keep the rain off our heads, and put it down on dirty benches to protect our clothes. The metro map meant that we never took a wrong train. We spent most of the week on foot and every street we were on was in the map. Most of the items and guides I brought along were looked at in the room before we left every morning, but this map was always with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Map!, June 17, 2003
"puarkat" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This map was an essential element of my time spent in Paris. It is perfect if you're going to be in Paris and need a very detailed street map while walking through the city. It doesn't cover many of the outer-lying areas, but it covers the heart of the city in-depth. I speak zero French and this map got me wherever I needed to go. I would recommend any of 'Streetwise' maps. I have used quite a few, both internationally and nationally, and have found them all to be extremely useful. In fact, whenever I know I'm going to be visiting a different city I buy one! Also worth the price because the maps are very durable, they're laminated and I've never had one tear on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion, June 20, 2005
Julien R. Fielding "Bodhi Grrl!" (Omaha, Nebraska United States) - See all my reviews
We recently embarked on a trip to Paris, and brought this and the Insight Fleximap of Paris. Streetwise was always the one being used. It folds out lengthwise so you don't have to struggle with it. We just found the area we needed and folded it to size. Perfect.

It also had most of the tourist locations we needed and was easy to use. We won't go back without this map. Since it's laminated, you never have to worry about it getting wet.

Also, you'll eventually end up navigating the metros when in Paris, and this was handy for that too. We needed to know where the various gares were, and thankfully this map makes them stand out in blue. You also have your arrondisements clearly noted.

I would recommend this to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but has its limitations, November 1, 2005
Yankee Dave (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
It's durable, and pretty convenient to use, but (1) it doesn't cover the entire city, and (2) some of the tinier streets on the Left Bank are not marked. If you're not planning on going to any outlying areas it's probably good enough, but if you think you might want to venture out farther, pick up a Plan de Paris par Arrondissement, and you'll never be lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, take it, use it!, October 15, 2000
Used it during pre-trip planning to research where to stay. Took it with us every day while exploring the streets of Paris, which can be confusing. Much better than a bulky paper fold-out map. Dropped our Streetwise while out in the rain but it suffered no damage because of its lamination. It also includes metro stops.
Be sure to get the "Streetwise" map and not the "Artwise" map. The Streetwise series includes an index of street names on the reverse, while the Artwise gives a list of museums & opening times. Index of street names is much more useful.
Also, the "Let's Go" people publish a similar type of map, but the Streetwise covers a greater area.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Necessity!, October 16, 2005
Alisa M. Hope "unfahsprey" (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I just returned from my first trip to Paris, and this map was the best money spent! I used Rick Steves' Paris book to identify places I wanted to go, and this map got me there. I would have been completely lost (literally!) without it. The métro map was super helpful, too. We stayed near the Eiffel Tower, and made it to Montmartre (which included changing trains twice) with no problem at all.

If you're going to Paris, get this map--it's a necessary, and infinitely helpful, travel companion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely helpful, even if you're not going to Paris., October 13, 2001
Suppose you're a writer who's working on a story set in Paris, but you've never been there and don't have any particular prospects of getting there anytime soon. What can you do for authentic locations and directions? Get a couple of guidebooks for color, but for the geography, this is the map. It covers almost everything within the Périphérique, has a very comprehensive map of the nigh-incomprehensible Métro system, and is generally the most useful aid to Paris navigation around. And it's durable enough to handle being used as a reference, too.

1.0 out of 5 stars A limited view of Paris, October 7, 2006
I bought this map, having read the previous reviews. And am returning it because it gives a much too limited view of Paris. It literally cuts out whole neighborhoods -- the north end of the 18th, most of the 19th and 20th, the 12th arrondissements(including Belleville, Menilmontant), most of the 13th, 14th, 15th arrondissements including Montparnasse, the Cite Universitaire, etc.

Fine if you want to get only to the hottest tourist spots, but totally inadequate if you want to visit the "tout Paris".

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great travel companion!, December 20, 2002
Amazon Customer "Idaho Rancher" (Post Falls, ID United States) - See all my reviews
The physical properties of this map make it a very handy, durable guide to get you around the heart of Paris. Laminated plastic, fan-folded like an accordian, it opens and closes in a snap. It survived five days riding around in my hip pocket, looking none the worse for wear. (Don't keep anything else of value in your pockets though. I very nearly got my pocket picked outside the Gare du Nord train station, and my wallet was deep in my front pocket! My wife spotted the little blighter, he couldn't have been older than 10, and alerted me.) When we returned home, it became one of our favorite keepsakes from the trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be hand-out with your Airlines tickets!!!, April 30, 1999
By A Customer
This is an absolute must for any traveller to Paris. The folded plastic layout as well as the clarity and quality of the information contained is stagering. Makes it taking the metro and getting just about anywhere in Paris a breeze!!!!

Streetwise Paris Map - Laminated City Center Street Map of Paris, France