4.0 out of 5 stars 10 great ways to reduce stress
Here are the ten ways to manage your stress in this book:

1). Calm down by concentrating on your breath.
2). Appreciate what you have in your life.
3). Tense and then relax different parts of your body.
4). Visualize success.

Published on January 16, 2012 by angie bookclub

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 great ways to reduce stress, July 24, 2006
Here are the ten ways to manage your stress in this book:

1). Calm down by concentrating on your breath.
2). Appreciate what you have in your life.
3). Tense and then relax different parts of your body.
4). Visualize success.
5). Slow down
6). Appreciate yourself
7). Practice smiling
8). Stop doing what does not work
9). Say no to people that try to over burden you.
10). Accept what you can not change
and live mentally in the present do not stress yourself out with the past or future.

Buy this book for more in depth discussion of the above, if you find this to be common sense, move on to another book.

5.0 out of 5 stars End the problems of stress for good!, February 15, 2005
J. H. (Pembroke Pines, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I've read lots of books and listened expensive tape programs on stress management. They helped some, but caused problems in that the excercises were too time comsuming, didn't always work, took too long to work, or was just to expensive. The techniques offered in Stress Free for Good are simple, quick (takes only 1 minute), and incredibly powerful. I've never felt so good in my life. I've never been so efficient in all my tasks and responsibilities either. The quality of my work has also improved. This is the only book you'll ever need on the topic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book turns stress-management techniques into life-mastery skills, April 25, 2006
As a former occupational therapist I know that reduction of stress and the speed of physical recovery is closely linked. Yet, the authors in this book prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. For years now I have been working with stressed and overwhelmed entrepreneurs helping them to grow their businesses while creating balance in their lives. This book, in combination with my own professional knowledge, allowed me to put together an instant-stress-busting audio course. Both authors speak with kindness and authority to a subject that not only affects the stressed and overwhelmed person but also everybody around them: employees, children, friends. I thank the authors for their courage to take stress-management to a level of life-mastery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic strategies to reduce stress, March 30, 2007
KierkegaardFan (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stress Free for Good: 10 Scientifically Proven Life Skills for Health and Happiness (Paperback)
This is an easy-to-read book that offers research-based stress-reduction strategies. All of the strategies are very basic, and you've probably heard them all before (no big eye-openers). However, research has proven that these strategies work, and the challenge lies with us to use and integrate them into our lives. Each chapter discusses strategies such deep breathing, stop doing what doesn't work, saying no, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Strategies for Relaxation!, February 21, 2009
The instructions in this book are clear and concise and the advice is hopeful and uplifting. I was assigned this book for class, but I found myself enjoying every line of text and I applied the techniques to calm my own life and stress responses. We (as a society) are surprisingly uneducated on how to handle the common stressor's of the modern world and I don't know a single soul who wouldn't benefit from reading this book! The author writes with a joyous tone as he guides us toward an improved lifestyle. I highly recommend Stress Free for Good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Stress Free for Good was a non-stressful read, January 16, 2012
A quick and easy read, the authors of Stress Free for Good provides ten (fairly easy) strategies that can help you change how you react to stressful events. After finishing the book, I am pretty sure that most of the strategies Luskin and Pelletier describe probably work for reducing stress, but the key point of this book is that you have to actually practice the strategies for them to work. I think a lot of us who buy books about stress reduction or improving happiness just want something to happen by osmosis, but Stress Free for Good makes it clear that you have to work at reducing stress. Some of the strategies the authors provide include belly breathing, tensing muscles to relax, and practicing appreciation for yourself and others. The only caveat I would give is that the patient case studies also involve some level of therapy or interaction with the authors, which I do think would helpful in adopting the life skills discussed (the patient recoveries described seem pretty amazing considering the simplicity of the life skills they adopt). That said, if you are willing to give a few minutes a day to the tools described, I'm sure they would make life a little better. And even if you lack the commitment to learning and living the tools in the book, the explanation of the two types of stress and how Type 2 stress impacts our bodies, as well as some of the other insights in the book, are valuable reading. I didn't get much further than deep belly-breathing, but that's just me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stress Free For Good by Luskin and Pelletier, January 15, 2006
The authors suggest deep breathing, muscular relaxation and

increased attention span as conditions precedent for controlling

stress.

The book provides a careful review of the physical problems

which originate from excessive stress and the flight/fight phenomena. For instance, the heart pumps faster and blood pressure rises. Blood flow to the prefrontal cortex decreases.

Digestion slows down due to stress. We sweat more. Arteries of

the heart become inflammed from stress. Lastly, the immune

system is compromised from added stress.

Stress is classified by types. Type 1 stresses are immediate.

Type 2 stresses are non-specific in nature.

The authors ask that we breathe from the belly to relax.

Para-sympathetic/ nervous system control emmanates from abdominal

breathing or slow/deep relaxed breathing. By slowing down,

we can appreciate the process of life more fully.

This book provides some important specifics on how to calm

down to preserve health now and for the long-term future.

As such, it is a solid value for the price charged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Common Sense, November 13, 2007
But I most say that there are three suggestions that I found to be helpful- not a cure all but these three offered me a bit of peace of mind so I would say its worth the cash. Book is a quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The single most important tip on stress, August 25, 2005
The different books on stress on the market offer different visions on the causes of stress and the ways to fight it. Stress Free for Good endorses the perspective that stress is the result of an unconsciously provoked fight-or-flight body response.

This unwanted and often continuous trigger of the body's innate system stresses the body and causes stress as we define it today. The book then offers valuable tips on how to handle and reduce this kind of stress.

Despite their importance, these tips fall short of devising a complete anti-stress plan and clearly say nothing about what would be the best nutrition diets for stressed out people.

The book is also wordy and cites numerous patient cases that, even if relevant to the subject, might push readers to boredom.

The book has a lot of repetition and makes the reader want to skip pages to get to the point. However, once you're there, you'd find that the wait might have been worth it.

Despite its shortcomings, the book offers one of the best tips on how to avoid stress and this single tip makes it worth your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Share with the people you love.., July 15, 2006
I liked this book so much, I read a chapter a week to my mom, dad, and sister after our Sunday night dinner together. I've posted the principles and read them when I brush my teeth in the morning. Once you've read the chapters, the titles alone can help you remember the techniques you practices. I continue to recommend the book to friends. I've had stressful moments at work and have used the skills to bring me back to center.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›