Format: Paperback|Change

on September 7, 2012
I was hesitant to buy this book at first since I buy way too many books that I dont have time to read or to follow but this year having reached 40, I realiized I couldnt bend as easily as I used to. Dont have much time to practise yoga any more and frankly hate reading 3 pages to do a simple sit up.The best thing I liked about this book is it has simple drawings or sketches( not pics. of individuals)which are very clear and the arrows showing direction of movement and crossed positions you are not supposed to do. I am a single mom who is working and going back to college and frankly after reading so much that includes helping my kid with his middle school, I really dont want to read too much to perform a stretch. By the way, I just got this book yesterday in mail and did upper body stretches since I was carrying too much tension on my shoulders, i felt relieved in just 6 minutes..Amazing..very simple stretches which everyone should do every day.
on June 27, 2010
I highly recommend this new edition of an old standby. Anderson's update on the best ever book on stretching is amazing. I wasn't sure how they were going to improve on the original. (I've been using the first edition for years.) The illustrations are easier to follow with the two color format and the groupings for task/sport specific stretches is expanded. This is by far the best, most authoritive book on stretching ever written - Also the most easy to understand for the layman. This book would be a great gift for a chriropractor or phys-ed student or anyone who wishes to have and keep their body healthy and flexible.
on March 24, 2011
At sixty years young I decided to incorporate stretching exercises into my bike training program. Because Bob Anderson's "Stretching" was recommended in numerous books I had read, I acquired a copy and proceeded to use the exercises recommended for cycling. I perform the recommended cycling exercises each morning and find not only that my range of motion has improved but perhaps more importantly that muscle aches and pains are immediately re-mediated. I highly recommend Mr. Anderson's book.
on November 18, 2011
I discovered this book on several resources for chronic pain as one of the best stretching books out there. This book breaks it down into several categories and has pictures that help you achieve the stretch you are trying to do.

Some of the great things about this book:

*The section on "How to Stretch" is a must read. I learned things that I did not know before and the "correct" way to stretch.

*Describes what not to do and illistrates with pictures and vice versa

*Gives different variations of how to stretch for different activites (and shows them in the correct order to get the maximum benefit), for example: stretches for your back, for your hands, sitting stretches, gardening, stretches for kids, learning the splits, there is a whole section for stretches at the office, and for just about any sport you can think of.

*Resources and tips for caring for your back PNF stretching, body tools, recommended reading, and stretching prescriptions

*Extensive index that is very helpful
on February 8, 2011
My chiropracter recommended this book to me and I am glad that he did. It is an excellent resource of those of us who are getting along in years and stiffening up with age. I would suspect that it is also an excellent recourse of younder, more atletic individuals as well.
Well written with decent illustrations, I would recommend this book to tohers.
on June 24, 2015
I'm a physical therapy professional and I have utilized some of these stretches in the course of patient care from time to time. I bought my first copy back when I was a competitive athlete in what seems like a former lifetime and before I became a health care clinician. That copy is so old the center of the pages are yellowish brown and the outer edge of the pages were the same color brown as on the cover. I did notice some nice updates, What I particularly appreciate is the attention to explaining proper body mechanics to prevent substitution, that is something I'm VERY particular about and I couldn't find fault with any of the instructions given. I recommend this book to my patients I feel would benefit from it.
on June 21, 2011
I will admit I buy quite a lot of books and many end up just sitting on a bookshelf. This one has already gotten quite a bit of use, however. I was having trouble with posture and aches from working long hours on a computer at a desk job. This book is a really good antidote along with working out. The intro is quick and easy to read through and then the routines are all pictured so you don't have to sit and study, you can just prop the book open and go through the routine pretty quickly. It does have important notes of how to do the stretch, but once you learn it well enough you can just go through the pictures. It helps a lot when you're learning though. I thought I knew about stretching, but realized how useful this book is and also learned to stretch with sensitivity. I've actually made greater gains in flexibility while seemingly exerting less effort, just because I know I am stretching correctly now, instead of just harder. Plus you can look up stretches by what muscle groups you want to work (perfect for example when you want to work out a tight neck or back) and also routines using those stretches for various sports and activities. I also got the Stretching Anatomy book and that one has been opened once and is sitting gathering dust already. I HIGHLY recommend this book!
on July 1, 2010
I purchased this book after having borrowed an older version of it from a friend.
This edition is updated, and even more wonderful than its' predecessor. It includes stretches
for computer users.
I love the way the author has broken the exercises down into categories of activities (sports)
that people play.This book can help anyone; From the least active to the most active.
The illustration is marvelous, and the explanations easy to understand.
This book helps to make me more limber, and care for my back. I would recommend it to everyone!
Athlete or couch potato, if you want to move better, buy it!
on November 8, 2012
This was my first stretching book and I really enjoyed learning all the various stretching methods for each area of life.
Pros
Breaks down stretching for each type of life activity
Great pictures and routines
has stood the test of time
Con
Not totally up to date with latest research
Some stretching I would not let my mother do
Could be more specific with targeting muscles
Holding stretches for over 5 seconds
Summary:
Great book to be introduced to the world of sports stretching or stretching for a better lifestyle.
I would not stop there. There is more practical and specific information available.
on October 15, 2015
As many have written, a must have.

I've had and used a copy of this book for over 15 years, and a friend saw it, mentioned that he wanted it. I bought a copy for his upcoming birthday, received the 30th Anniversary Edition, and, embarrassed to say, I'm keeping it for myself.

This edition is a WONDERFUL upgrade, and even if you've had previous editions, the graphics and editing are well worth the money.

There are stretches here for every level, and you can enjoy opening your body up a little at a time, or, if you are active, you can delight in new ways to prevent injury and enjoy this precious machine you're living in with flexibility and grace.

Highest recommendations.