Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on July 3, 2000
I've used this book for several years in all the sport activities that I have been involved in. From my teenage years to my early 30's - I have found the stretches in this book to be a worthwhile endeavor. The author provides several stretching routines for a wide variety of activities. Secondly, there are drawings, which demonstrate the correct way to do these stretches. Stretching is an important part of any exercise regime and this book helps out by providing a necessary guide to stretching. The author points out the dangers of overstretching and gives the reader good advice for their regimes.
0Comment64 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2003
I'm writing to add to the praise that the other reviewers have heaped on this book. It's easy to read, and you really do feel better when you do the stretches. I'm a middle aged man, overweight, and not at all flexible, and I've found that it helps a lot. If you do the stretches, you'll literally start to feel better after two or three days. This is the only physical activity I've run across that pays off so quickly.
Someone else complained that certain types of stretches weren't included in the book. According to the text, some stretches were left out because they were risky -- people who don't know what they're doing might hurt themselves. Perhaps the missing isometric stretches that were mentioned fall into that category.
I don't have any back problems, but I do several stretches that target the back and spine as part of my daily routine. That's when I most appreciate the conservative approach taken by the authors, as it seems like there would be a lot of potential for trouble there. The fact that so many people with back problems do these stretches safely, and receive benefits from them, says something important about the book's approach.
I don't know if this is the quickest way to become more flexible. I do know that it's a good way to become more flexible, that it works, and that I haven't had any problems at all -- no pain, no injuries, nothing.
I like it a lot.
0Comment37 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2003
If you are looking for a book on stretching, go no place else, this is it. While there are other new theories on proper stretching technique for specific results, or muscle fibers or sports, this book and the techniques it teaches are widely considered the mainstream of stretching technique.
You will find stretches for almost every single muscle in your body. Diagrams of each stretch show proper stretching technique and where the tension should be felt. The book runs through each of the main stretches, suggests a program for everyday stretching, and has a number of sport-specific programs. Yes, the pencil diagrams are corny, but as soon as you get over that, you will realize there is a wealth of information in here.
Should you do yoga or stretching? Yoga w/ a tape or a class is certainly a mind/body event that many people enjoy as a part of their fitness routine. But for a fitness regimen, a 20 minute stretching routine every morning or night has advantages over yoga. Yoga is essentially stretching exercises combined with isometric weight resistance. But yoga can often overextend or place undue stress on the ligaments/tendons and often the positions are not stretching the full length of the muscle, and if they are the positions often stretch the muscle to its limit immediately, rather than gradually, which has been shown to provide better flexibility results. With regard to the isometrics, if you are looking to build strength and/or muscle you need the progressive weight resistance that free weights or machines will provide - the isometrics will not provide significant results.
Stretching on a regular basis (along w/ aerobics and eating right) will leave you feeling relaxed and energized and if there is one stretching book you should own, this has got to be it.
0Comment46 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 1998
I'm a fitness professional and I've been scouring bookstores for a decent stretch book that I could use to plan comprehensive stretch routines for my classes. Finally I found it. Stretching by Bob Anderson is the best stretch book I've found yet for my purposes.
The illustrations are quite good. They show a man with longish, curly hair wearing a wool ski hat--which struck me as funny. But then again, it was published in the 70s.
I like how this book is organized. It's separated into parts of the body, i.e. legs, neck etc. It also outlines sports specific stretch sequences which is helpful for the general public.
I don't like the fact that you have to read the text of each stretch to learn which specific muscles each stretch emphasizes.
Overall, I intend to use this book to plan stretch routines routinely. If you're a fitness professional looking for a stretch reference book, this is a pretty good one.
11 comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2001
I am a massage therapist who is frequently recommending to clients that they incorporate more stretching into their lives. This is the book I point them to if they ask for a reference. It shows you various stretches for all parts of your body. It also combines those stretches in more than 30 routines for different parts of the day and almost two dozen sports and activities.
The strength of this book is two-fold: first, the illustrations are simple but detailed enough to be useful (something that a lot of books don't accomplish) and, second, the text is clear, easy to follow, and friendly. The author understands that most of us need to stretch and don't stretch nearly enough. No guilt trips, no technical terminology, no unreasonable expectations.
This book is written for the general public and also for athletes. I use it myself and recommend it comfortably.
0Comment30 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 1999
This is a great book on stretching. It offers pictures and explanations on every different exercise. Furthermore, it provides a stretching workout for almost every sport and situation. The book's main focus is on dynamic stretching and it doesn't go into different methods that can be more efficient(ex: Propioceptive neuromuscular facilitation), but it remains a great book for all. I am a health care practitionner and I find this book great because it is easy for me to show my patients different workouts for their individual needs!!
0Comment35 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2003
A basic reference book of stretching exercises used to stretch different body-areas before and after sports and/or daily activities. The pictures are very well-done and are especially descriptive with arrows illustrating clearly the correct movement when doing the stretch. My favorite 2 pages in the book are "Everyday Stretches" used for 10-15 min per day to fine-tune your muscles and reduce stress. These daily exercises are clearly outlined with pictures and can easily be completed once a day even with a busy lifestyle!
0Comment23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 1998
The book is easy to read and easy to use, and the written descriptions and line drawings are very helpful for someone who wants to stretch correctly (i.e. without injury). The one thing better than the book would be to see Bob demonstrate each stretch personally. Thankfully, Bob and Jean have produced a wonderful video as well as this groundbreaking book. The video offers a 45-minute demonstration of various stretches, then a 14-minute routine of everyday stretches that are sure to limber up the stiffest sleeper in the morning and relax the most stressed worker at the end of the day. I highly recommend both the book and the video. END
0Comment29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2000
This book is complete, simple, effective. I have prescribed it for patients from 25 year old triatheletes to 90 year olds rehabbing from a hospital stay. I (50 year old too-sedentary doc) use it daily. Its the best.
on August 12, 2003
Excellent content. Many stretches, reasonably well-organized, and displayed using simple diagrams.
What I don't like- There are many effective stretches that aren't included. Especially: Isometric Stretching is not mentioned. Isometric stretching is considered (at least by the author of "Warrior Speed") to be by far the most effective way to increase your flexibility. It seems kind of ridiculous to me that it isn't covered in this book.
Overall its a great book, although you'll find plenty of info elsewhere that is not covered by this book. (Therefore it shouldn't be considered a *complete* guide to stretching IMHO.) A large section of this book is dedicated to sports-specific stretches, but you'll probably find this section almost useless compared to other books specific to your sport of choice.
33 comments37 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse