5.0 out of 5 stars Striiv is fabulous.
Published on April 29, 2012 by A. Schroeder

3.0 out of 5 stars It keeps me honest
Like it, but I hate the battery life and the stupid game......I am not sure whether this is the best option or not.
Published 16 months ago by kathy schlecht

5.0 out of 5 stars Striiv is fabulous., April 29, 2012
A. Schroeder "ahs" (St. Louis, Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I've had my Striiv for about 4 months now. It has made me love the stairs in my home. And with the new software updates, now I can race against others. The folks behind this gadget are pretty savvy. I had a BodyMedia Fit armband but it broke in the first three weeks. And the other benefit over other fitness gadgets is the charity aspect. I love that it isn't all about me fitting into my skinny jeans. Makes the whole process of getting fit less self-absorbed. Great motivation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, motivational, but I feel like I'm going to crush it ..., July 23, 2012
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I bought Striiv wanting to "encourage" (ahem, force) myself to be less lazy. I planned on testing it for about a month, then purchasing one for my husband based on my experience. Does my husband get one of these? Read on ...

Striiv is a small pedometer that uses various forms of motivation to get you up and moving. It counts steps, and rewards you with being able to donate to charity and being able to build up "MyLand," a little in-pedometer sim game. You can get the Striiv with or without the activity bundle; I chose to get it with.

The Good:
Striiv is small and easy to wear. I generally wear it on my right hip, where it seems to take the most accurate count.

I find the charity aspect very motivating. I want to get up and walk and give water to someone for a day, save the rain forest, and help cure polio. Okay, maybe I'm not doing all those things directly, but when I upload my steps, a corporate sponsor makes a donation for me.

It measures stairs, and inclines as well. That means if you are walking up a hill it factors it in as stairs. This is a very neat feature.

It calculates how many calories you are burning based off of height and weight. To me, the calculations seem on the high side, but I don't have anything to compare it to. As a bonus, it gives you tangible equivalents. 150 calories means you burned a soda, 420 means you burned a cupcake, etcetera. It's nice to have that real comparison.

Likewise, Striiv also puts your walking into comparisons. When I log into my Striiv account online, I can see how close I am to finishing a marathon.

The Bad:
The touch screen. It's so bad that I almost knocked off two stars for it. I have to press so hard to get anything to happen on the touch screen, and it's highly inaccurate. It takes a fun little device and really diminishes the usability by making it so frustrating to use. I have tried calibrating my screen many times with no difference. I get very annoyed when I'm trying to unlock my Striiv and I have to press the power button at the top 3 times because it just won't detect me pressing down on the touch-screen lock icon.

If not for the touch screen, I would recommend this in a heart beat. With the touch screen issue, I'm on the fence. I really do like mine quite a lot, but I feel like I'm being abusive towards my device. I'm worried about the longevity of the product since I have to press so hard for it to register.

The Neutral:
Stairs do not always register properly. If I wear my Striiv on my left side, it only measures half of the stairs I'm doing. If I wear it on my right side, we're close to 90%. Maybe I have a weird stair walk?

I was hoping this would work on my elliptical, even though it doesn't claim to. I jumped on, and was ecstatic when it started counting my steps - however, after about 10 counts, it stopped registering any activity from the elliptical and would not count anymore.

Overall, I do recommend this with some reservations. My favorite part by far is the charity rewards, which I love doing. Hopefully Striiv will fix their touch screen issues, and maybe at that point I would purchase another. That being said, my husband and I agreed on passing on getting him one with the state of the touch screen as-is.

**Edit 7/24/2012** I have not tried the accessories that come int he accessory bundle. When I try those out I will update the review further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivator, April 29, 2012
Donna L. Niell "Learner" (Madera, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I have had my Striiv for nearly 3 months and it has been the best thing that ever happened to my activity levels. I am a naturally sedentary person and found myself in a point in my life that encouraged sitting. My chiropractor said my back pain was caused by sitting too much. My sisters gave me a Striiv and it encouraged me to walk around the house. The game is very fun and they also allow you to feel like you are helping others by donating water, rain forest plots or vaccinations. I didn't get the bundle but it will only add to how great this item is. More than worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new addiction!, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I love this product SO much! What I like best about it is that it really does have a motivational component that most fitness trackers don't (your typical pedometers, phone apps, fitbit). For those of us that aren't already good at being really active daily, Striiv gives you the extra push and incentive to do more. I have had this product for 2 weeks and have gone from walking only a few thousand steps a day and not many stairs to consistently hitting the 10K mark and climbing SO many stairs (a personal best of 1200 in a day). I also really like that it gives you lots of benchmarks (i.e., trophies) so that you can tell people "I climbed the Eiffel Tower today" or "This week I walked across Rhode Island". No other product does that. I have been very influenced by the challenges that pop up as well. Striiv has clearly learned my habits and challenges me to harder and harder races or goals daily. I really love the charity component as well which you can learn about here: [...] . It's still not totally clear where this money comes from but it seems legitimate. Finally the game - at first, since I'm not a Farmville player I didn't think I would like it, but it is a cute little component of the Striiv and I do find myself building little things to bring the animals back. I think it might be more effective with kids but I do use it as well. So far I've convinced about 3 people to buy this and I can't say enough positive things about it. It's really made a difference for me.

As far as the extra Bundle goes - it has been useful. I've dropped my strive a few times so having a back-up tool that attached to the belt is a good idea. Also- i took the Striiv to a kick-boxing class (5000 steps!) and it was definitely awkward to have it on my shorts with the clip. In that type of situation or for running, the armband is definitely superior. The only downside is that it's harder to take it off to check off new goals when it's stuck on your arm (I find myself checking it regularly and doing races and challenges on long walks). The key chain thing I haven't used more than a few times because my striiv typically lives attached to my pants or in my bag.

The only place for improvement I think is the website/log in component. On-line there isn't a good way to see your entire steps and workout history which would be nice (or all of your trophies). Instead you have to use the Striiv to do this which can be awkward since it is small. Online you can only track today and yesterday plus your best evers. This is partnered with charity donations and a few big goals which is good but not great. I imagine since it is very new this may improve over time. The website does allow you to post to twitter and facebook though so you can at least get your friends to cheer you on when you complete marathons or climb Mt. Everest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivates me to walk and climb more even if a little inaccurate at times., July 10, 2012
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I have used a few pedometers and calorie counters. Some have been pretty good overall in their functionality but failed in design and some others vice versa. This has been by far the best one I have used (It was reserved for the fitbit until I broke 2 of them because they're so delicate/have such weak tension to withstand rough use). It is not the most accurate device I have used. I say this not because it is not good at discovering when I am walking or climbing, but because it seems to be most inaccurate for small bouts of walking. If I take 10-12 steps, it seems to not register that occasionally. I feel it is in the process of writing some of those walks off as an error reading. I don't particularly care much but I presume that it adds up over time.

It is pretty accurate with stair climb counts which is very surprising. The points system, gamification and other factors like donations through energy points are icing on the cake to make this an overall very good user experience. I have it attached to my keychain, so if I leave for anywhere, it comes with me.

The one thing I have not figured out and I am increasingly thinking it is a calculation error is the calorie calculation by the device. Yesterday, I walked about 4 miles in 95 minutes and climbed about 51 steps (subway steps). IT calculated by total calories burned at 786. I find this value absurdly high even if I was willing to include some error. A basic Google search for calorie counters using my age, height, weight, speed of walking and time said it shouldn't be more than 400 calories. I can also personally corroborate this because I run on the treadmill for 45 minutes at 6 miles an hour (With age and weight inputted) to get about 700 calories. This is not a dealbreaker, but I hope an update can fix this calculation (or maybe I just didn't calibrate it or something...not sure).

Overall, I like the device and find it to be the best one I've used so far. Also, I feel good beating their challenges with the ultimate goal of making 'donations' to needy people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun pedometer with a lot of options, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I love this pedometer! I have played around with a few different ones, between the Nike+ FuelBand to the Fitbit Wireless Activity/Sleep Tracker, Black/Blue. I enjoy both the Striiv pedometer and the Fitbit, both have their ups and downs.

Probably the only downsides to the Striiv pedometer are the size, that it does not upload info wirelessly, and battery life. With that being said, the Fitbit is small, does upload wirelessly, and has a better battery life. I will get into more detail later. But the functions the Striiv has are great.

It has a touch screen, with a button on the top to turn off the display. There are two buttons on the face, a back and home button. The "home screen" Will show the steps take, the current time, and a lock icon, to unlock the device and use the features inside. If you tap the top of the screen where the steps display, it will scroll through other tracked items. Those items are: Steps/Equivalent Stairs taken/Miles walked/Calories burned/Minutes of activity tracked.

When you unlock the device, you see whatever you were currently viewing for the tracked info listed above, with a progress bar comparing where you currently are to your best average. Below that are three options to select from, below those are the current time in the left hand corner, the menu button in the middle, and the battery life in the right hand corner.

The three options to select from are a Myland (game to play), races, and Walkathon (donations).
-The game is called MyLand, where you start with a piece of empty land to build/plant items to attract animals. The items you build/plant allow you to collect coins to build/plant more items. You receive energy which is used to build/plant items you buy, and the energy comes from the amount of activity it tracked on the device. There are challenges within the game, asking you to build items/attract a certain number of animals/trade in energy in the bank, for a certain amount of coins or for an animal. You can unlock more land by building/planting certain items. It is a fun little game that can keep you busy for quite some time, and get you moving to earn more energy.

-The races are just as it sounds, you can race three different computer generate opponents or someone you know who also owns a Striiv. I don't know someone who owns the same device, so I have not tried racing another user, but I have raced the computer opponents. You select who you want to race, each faster than the previous, and can select the number of steps to win. The person to reach the gold first wins. The screen will show the starting line of a race/marathon, and once you begin the characters will begin to move with each step. Your character moves to your steps, the computer character moves at their own speed. You will no longer be able to see the other character if you are far enough ahead or behind. If you win the race, you win a certain amount of energy, plus extra for however more steps you took while waiting for the other character to reach the goal. I believe if you lose you gain a small amount of energy depending on the number of steps, but I do not remember.

-The donations section is neat. There are three charities to donate to, help the Rainforest, donate polio vaccines, or donate clean drinking water. There is an energy bar which shows you how much activity is needed, with a button to apply the energy to the donation. Once you "fill" the donation and plug your device in, it will donate to the charity you have active. You are able to switch between the three charities, so you can donate to all, you can only be active with one at a time.

Within the menu option you can access the three functions described above, as well as a few more.
-Periodically when you unlock your device you will be given a challenge to accept or decline. It can range between completing a certain amount of minutes of activity in a certain amount of time, to walking a certain number of steps in a specific amount of time. If you win you receive a specific amount of energy, if you lose you are given the option to retry immediately. You can access these challenges in the menu section. If you want to try a challenge from the menu section, they cost a small amount of energy to try, if you are given a challenge randomly there is no energy charge.

-There is a friends option, where you can see people you know who have a Striiv device. (I cannot comment, I don't know anyone who has one)
-Trophies that you can earn with the amount of activity tracked.
-Charts, see your activity level on a chart viewing 5 days or one month at once.
-Stats, listing the different type of activity tracked and where you are for the day. It does allow you to select a different day to view.

You create a free profile online where you can view all of your stats, including donations. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do online other than view your stats for the current day. The Fitbit's online profile allows you to do a lot more, including the ability to track food, and input additional exercise. That is one of the reasons why I rated this product 4 instead of 5 stars.

The size isn't too big; it is almost the size of a credit card. It can be a little bulky; the device comes with a small holster to clip the device into, which has a belt clip. I usually clip the device to the inside of my pants pocket. This bundle also comes with an arm band with a rubber holster, and a carabiner that clips to the bottom of the device and can be removed, and a usb cable with an adapter. So there are a few different ways you can wear the device, and it will recognize your energy with each different way.

The battery life is not the best, especially if you are playing the game, races, or challenges a lot. You can go over a week without charging if you don't do too much on it, but if you do you may have to charge it daily.

I have also had problems uploading info using a different usb cable instead of the one provided. It will charge when plugged in, but not always upload.

I have enjoyed this product a lot, I haven't played the game or challenges quite as much now as I did when I first received it, but that is my own fault. It has a lot of functions, which makes it a very unique pedometer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pedometer, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I have had the striiv pedometer for about a month now and it has really met and exceed my expectations. I purchased it just before a sight seeing trip to New York. I wanted to track how far we went in a day and it was excellent. At first I was a bit taken back by the size of it because I had a FITBIT before this and it was easy to conceal - the Striiv product is larger but I love it. I wear it on my ankle now and it is copletely out of sight but easiy excessible. I am not a person that usually likes to play video games but I found myself wanting to walk farther so I could acquire more points for the game. it's very fun, plus I like the fact that the company at no charge to me donates a polio shot in the 3rd world country when I achieve certain goals. another good thing I like about it is it is a free standing device tht can work independently of the computer. I can see how many steps and stairs I climbed right on the device. I would definitely recommend the Striiv pedometer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Striiv Personal Trainer, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I purchased my Striiv in December 2011 and have worned it all but three days since my purchase. It is the most accurate pedometer I have owned and I love all the extras. It will get you moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Striiv pedometer, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
This pedometer is the best motivator for walking, giving you challenges throughout the day to keep you walking. I'm almost 70 years old but have walked over 10,000 steps everyday since I got it. I was on insulin for type 2 diabetes but have not had to use any insulin since starting this walking program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pedometer with motivation built in!, September 20, 2012
Linda J. Stengle (Boyertown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle (Sports)
I've been a fan of Zynga games but did not like how they resulted in me spending more time on the computer and less time walking around. The Striiv pedometer provides me with a cute little game with lemurs, tigers, and turtles, while encouraging me to get at least 10 thousand steps in every day. It measures steps, stairs, and runs accurately, and it adjusts to your individual needs on any given day. Not feeling so well? The Striiv will give you easier challenges. Setting all kinds of records? The Striiv will coax you to accomplish even more. So far, I love it, and I look forward to using it every day.

Striiv Smart Pedometer, Accessory Bundle