4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me.
Published on December 29, 2011 by TimH

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, poor design
The light is bright and shines good. The problem when handling is it is to easy to hit the power button and switch to other modes ( red or flashing red). It has to be turned offf and on. The smaller version was a locking on/off switch, much better
Published on July 27, 2011 by Gr8ful

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me., December 29, 2011
TimH "Timpala" (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Striker Magnetic LED Light Mine - Professional (Tools & Home Improvement)
I just received the light mine for Christmas '11. It works great for me and doesn't feel cheap at all. I do agree that the cycle process to turn the light off seems odd but it works. You have to press the red button once for one set of LEDs to light, press again for the second set of LEDs to light for full brightness. Then press the button again for the red LEDs and once again for flashing red LEDs. And then once again for off. Once you realize how it works it just takes a few clicks to cycle through the functions.

The battery compartment on mine opened and closed properly for me. I have the ball stuck to the underside of my metal cabinets now and it has a good grip with a few magnets touching and holding. It remains to be seen how it will hold to a greasy car underbody surface.

[Edit - Update Jan 2012]
If this thing wasn't a gift it would be out in the yard, or wherever it landed after I chucked it as far as I could. It works well solidly stuck to the bottom of metal wall cabinets but that's the only place it works well. I tried to use it both under the dash and under the hood and it is useless. The thing sticks to every tool you have out and any small parts that you don't want to move but rarely to anything else. The real design flaw is the red button and light cycling. See that little red button at the one o'clock position in the product photo? That's the switch. Notice that it is configured exactly in the same place as the magnets. That means that it gets pressed just as easily as they do when you're trying to position the light, or hold it etc. When the switch is pressed the bright white light now turns red, press again and it flashes red. Which is what I did about the fourth time I had to cycle through the light modes to again see what I was doing. A candle would be more useful. So if you're reading this and bought it for me I still thank you as you just used my Amazon list to buy me something that _I_ selected. Everyone else, you've been warned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, poor design, July 27, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat idea, poor quality, cheaply built., October 15, 2011
Item looked great on arrival. Closer inspection revealed it is very cheaply built. Battery unit was very flimsy and broke quickly. I repaired it and was able to use it. Unfortunately two magets have already fallen off. I was going to give this as a gift but now will not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made, September 20, 2011
Battery top is poorly designed. Comes off easily. More a novelty than a tool. The lights work well. I do not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved the smaller red version, not this one, January 18, 2012
George (East Bay, CA) - See all my reviews
I got one of these as a Birthday Present. After using the much smaller version as an easy flashlight for PC Building in tight spaces I was looking forward to this.

First thing I did was put batteries in and pressed the power button. Shortly after trying to figure out why the light wasn't on I started smelling burning plastic. I immediately removed the batteries and realized somehow the polarity was reversed even though there are no marking to identify this. Only a groove you're supposed to line up, which was clearly lined up for me. After some tweaking I got the polarity right, but now mine will turn on, but won't turn off without removing batteries. Makes it more hassle then its worth.

So I agree with another commenter: "Nice Idea, Poor Design".

Now I have to figure out how to get this replaced, since I didn't buy it. I'll update this review if I get a replacement.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, October 19, 2011
Seemed like a great idea being that I am an HVAC tech. The unit, power button, and battery cylinder are cheaply made. The light turns off if the light is moved from one area to another inside a cabinet. It also turns off if you shake it. That's ridiculous. I will probably just hit it with a baseball bat and then return the light in pieces. Don't buy unless you want a magnetic ball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea ruined by cheap materials, January 29, 2012
The idea for this item is good, and the design is good. In real life, however, it's evidently made by a manufacturer so cheap he makes Ebeneezer Scrooge look like J. Gatsby on a weekend bender. You cannot touch this thing without pieces of it snapping and falling off. It's closer to breaking into pieces than Britney Spears on a meth binge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver!!!, November 22, 2011
I purchased one of these for each of my vehicles and it was soon put to good use. Last year my wife slid off the road in a horrible snow storm and got stuck in a drift. She turned the red flasher on and mounted the light to the roof of her car for added visibility. The tow truck driver was so impressed he asked where she got the cool light! Thanks Striker!

1.0 out of 5 stars for the quality...relatively expensive, July 1, 2014
other than (eventually) the initial idea, there is nothing professional in this product.
Cheap materials (very)
the magnets have close to no glue and they start falling and get lost
for the quality...relatively expensive
what does professional mean in these people's heads?
make this lamp light: you have to go thru about 5 button pressings to turn off the thing. It has at least two low intensity, one full intensity , one flash, two reds, .... my goodness!
Professional?

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Toy For the Person Who Likes Lights, April 2, 2011
I had purchased the mini version as a gift--was a little too small, but works.
I got this big one for someone who has to have all kinds of flashlights. He thought it was great, but a little big. Even though I read the product description before buying, it still looked bigger than expected. Puts out a ton of bright crisp light.

Striker Magnetic LED Light Mine - Professional