4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, Fun! Also, hard.
Space Cadets is a great game with a few drawbacks. First, the bad:

Published 20 months ago by B. LaCount

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Concept, Cheap Production Value
Very cool game, so many things to do. It's an awesome cooperative game.

I was very disappointed in the quality of the pieces. I hadn't even played it yet and as I was unpacking the box for the first time the edges of the playing board were already messed up. I really don't see how this will last very long.

I honestly wish I would have waited to get...
Published 19 months ago by Jimmy

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, Fun! Also, hard., April 8, 2013
B. LaCount (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Space Cadets is a great game with a few drawbacks. First, the bad:

The quality of the components is lower than I expected. This game certainly isn't on par with Fantasy Flight components. A lot of the pieces are flimsy or easily damaged. The box is lacking as well, being mostly just a series of baggies for component storage. I'd recommend some sort of plastic organizer to put in the box and keep the components safe. The copy I received was damaged when I got it. The box was dented and torn, the book looks like someone tried to eat the top of it, and a few of the cardboard components were peeling.

Another downside is that the game is very difficult to understand fully, and tough to teach quickly. While most players only need to understand a small portion of the game, if only one person knows the game then the learning time is very long. If Stronghold Games would make a print-out "cheat sheet" for each station, I think this problem could be solved. The rulebook isn't organized very well either, and finding an answer to a specific question can take upwards of 10 minutes. There are the base rules and advanced rules for every station, which adds to the confusion of newbie players and setup.

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, on to the good:

Lots of fun once all players understand the game. This might take a while, but its definitely worth getting there. The flow of the game is quick and nerve-wracking, with all players constantly going between panic and relief. Just make sure you have at least one person who is getting everyone to focus on the game.

Most of the mechanics and mini-games are fun and challenging without being frustrating. There are a few things here that I've never done in a board game, and it holds quite a lot of replayability because you won't be doing everything the game has to offer in a single play through. There is a small timer app you can get for your phone (free on iOS and Android) which helps a lot. It guides you through the phases and provides a timer with an audible alarm. Much better than using the sand timer that comes with the game.

The game is overall pretty difficult too, which is good for a cooperative board game. If a game is too easy, the challenge and allure is lost after only a few playthoughs. My crew and I have yet to win a game of Space Cadets, but we've really enjoyed every attempt. My advice: avoid damage as much as possible! Once you start getting to the core breach damage its only a matter of time before someone screws up and everyone explodes. Still a lot of fun though.

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys cooperative board games, and is looking for something a little more high-tension than something like Pandemic. The sci-fi theme works well overall, and the mechanics are enjoyable. If the rulebook and components had a bit more production value, I'd give this 5 stars easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best group games out there, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
If you want to bring a group of people together and have a blast, get this game. I played it at my friends house and while we were playing, I had to order my own copy. What makes it so fun is that each player is in charge of a station on a space ship. Engineering, weapons, shields etc are each a mini game that you have to complete in 30 sec. As a group you are trying to complete a mission. The sensor station scans an area and then weapons destroys enemy ships, and then the tractor beam grabs the crystal. The game requires team work and the ability to laugh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Concept, Cheap Production Value, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
Very cool game, so many things to do. It's an awesome cooperative game.

I honestly wish I would have waited to get this until the 2nd production run. I am sure they will address that then.

But if you can't wait I'd say go for it. It's a great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live out your dreams of running a star ship...and then crashing and burning., December 4, 2013
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
This is an amazing boardgame. It's at its heart a collection of mini games, that simulate a starship bridge. Throw in a 60 second time limit and chaos ensues. Great fun, and highly recommended to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars best game of 2012, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
Incredible game for group of friends. Lots of laughs with all the minigames, in this chaotic boardgame. Great for family fun also

2.0 out of 5 stars ... got me into the "board game craze" and I love a lot of them - but not this one, August 22, 2014
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
My son got me into the "board game craze" and I love a lot of them - but not this one. I guess it may be better with a lot of people playing it. But with just 3 or 4 people it's much too complicated and ends up being boring. Thumbs down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Star Trek? This is your game!, November 6, 2014
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
IF!!!! you are a Star Trek fan this is quiet possibly the greatest board game ever made to play with your Star Trek friends! My 2 brothers and I are infatuated with this game. This is a %100 team game with homage given to Star Trek and its concepts. I cant tell you how many TSO, TNG, DS9 & Voyager references have been made at my game table while playing this game, and you are given room and encouraged to create your own mission.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
Great game had no problems with the quality of the materials. Love it have so much fun playing it with friends

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gameplay, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
Really liked this game. It is a lot of fun. However, the game components aren't as high quality as they should be. As a result, the maps get scratched, and this game looks like it will wear out within 20 plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Space Cadets Board Games (Toy)
This is a really fun game.

Each person plays as one or more of the stations on the ship. You basically have to complete a timed minigame all at once to control your ship.

Space Cadets Board Games