5.0 out of 5 stars ~*Amazing*~
So...I finished reading Struck by lightning. It is hard to find the right words to describe my feelings right now. I will still try to write a little review, though.

Published on November 15, 2012 by Les Diva

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Great Book!
Chris Colfer has accomplished so much in his life so far. He is a New York Times bestselling author, a Golden Globe winning actor, and he has written and starred in his own movie. Now Chris Colfer has tackled adapting his own feature film into a book.

Published 22 months ago by Jon (Scott Reads It!)

5.0 out of 5 stars ~*Amazing*~, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Struck By Lightning (Paperback)

Again, Chris Colfer really amazed me. This story is about Carson Phillips, an outcast because he is different, stuck in an little town, desperately wanting to get out of there...he sure isn't perfect, in fact he is a prick sometimes. But still...he is full of dreams and is ready to do almost everything to reach his goal. No matter what. He fights for it. With Carson, Chris created a character who shows that everyone is able to dream, one just has to find themself, find something to fight for. Sure, that isn't easy. But if you trust yourself, trust your heart, you can do it. You just have to crack that nutshell around you, everyone else telling you what you can't do, everyone who hurt you and everyone who did you wrong trapped you in and...fly. Loving and accepting yourself, knowing it is ok to be you and show it, is an great start to do it. I personaly loved one passage in the book:

Like having a great idea, life comes at you fast. It hits you and tries to escape and be expressed in anyway possible. In a way it is a lot like...lightning.

So...what did `Struck by lightning' show me? What did it inspire me to do? A good question. I think...it inspired me to try and accept myself a little more every day, to actually get to know myself more. And who knows...maybe I will some day find my own dream and fly, even if that day seems to be so far away right now. And if that should ever happen, Chris Colfer will have done a lot to make it happen, without even knowing it. So I am saying THANK YOU, Chris. Thank you for being so amazingly talented, being such an inspiration, for...just being you. Please...never stop to fly.

Greetings, Meike

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal (Hardcover)
Purchased for my 12 year old daughter who is a huge Glee fan. She devoured this book, it is well written and for the most part, age appropriate. There is some adult content but it is not at all graphic, and for the most part, implied. if your child watches Glee, the book is much more tame. I also recommend Chris Colfer's other book, Land of Stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and Insightful, November 21, 2012
Overall I found this an easy read and very enjoyable. The main character is very sympathetic even though it is quite clear he is not the most likable character. He is fleshed out and quite in depth while the other characters are not, though that makes sense as this is all written from his own perspective. Although the book is quite funny and witty throughout, my overall impression, especially at the end was more sad and longing than it was hopeful. I finally felt like I really wanted this character to succeed and it seems like everything and everyone is so against him. I do always find that is the hallmark of a great piece of fiction - if it truly makes me feel strongly - even if that feeling is sadness.

I liked the observations and insight - both the earnest ones and the witty ones. A few times it seemed like the main character was getting almost preachy, but he then calls himself out on that and goes back to being a bit of a jerk, so it never seems too forced. There were a few times when a metaphor seemed awkward, but even those were always interesting, so I didn't mind it.

While I am sure the overall story as well as its details are entirely fictional, it is very interesting to see a character that is so angry and uses his anger as a way to fuel his drive and ambition to make something of himself and to compare that to the author's own story of getting out of a small and constricting town and achieving great things.

I will say there is a lot of cursing throughout the book. That's no problem for me as an adult and it probably makes it appealing to the young adult crowd, too, but it might be good for people to know this ahead of time if they are concerned about what their children might be reading. However, it certainly isn't anything they wouldn't have heard already if they're in high school.

I got the audio version of the book because I find it really interesting to hear the author's take on the way the characters sound. Although most of this is in the main character's voice, the author does have the chance to do some other voices, which is always interesting. It also is interesting to hear the emphasis used by the author, so I highly recommend listening to the audio version. I also am really looking forward to the movie because I would like to see what differences there might be in the two versions.

I am glad to have this in my collection and I really can't wait for more writing from Chris Colfer. He really shows such promise as an author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Great Book!, February 22, 2013

Struck By Lightning follows Carson Philips who desperately wants to get into North Western University. Carson is told that if he wants to get into North Western he has to make a literary magazine with submissions from other students. Soon he realizes that the only way people will submit anything is if he resorts to blackmail.

I really liked the concept of Struck By Lightning because it was original and unlike anything I have ever read before. The book is written in journal entry form which really helped the reader see exactly what Carson was thinking.

One of my major problems of Struck By Lightning is with our main character. Chris Colfer has created a very antagonistic and negative character who really got my nerves. Every single thing Philips seemed to have an issue with even the littlest things. Carson's attitude was very condescending and I couldn't stomach hearing him complain again and again. I guess Colfer succeeded in creating a hostile character but the problem is that I didn't like Carson much.

Considering Struck By Lightning is a coming-of-age story I expected more of a change in Carson's outlook. Carson does grow from the beginning of the novel to the end but it is rather abrupt and short. Carson Philips becomes a new person in like 2 pages and everything is suddenly good. In my opinion it was rather unrealistic and irritating. I really wanted to see Carson slowly grow into a better person because you can't be a jerk all your life and you decide to become a better person in one second.

Besides my dislike of Carson I did like the supporting characters a whole lot more. Melanie was a character that made me laugh a bit and her whole mix up with Suzanne Collins was extremely hilarious. The other characters are very stereotypical but it is a very accurate view of High School students.

The ending of Struck By Lightning is really strange and I have mostly negative feelings about it. I don't want to give it away but I felt like the ending of the book was overly dramatic and uncalled for. I just feel like a contemporary novel should have a realistic ending to it that really ties up everything nice and neat. The ending of Struck By Lightning makes you think but is way too unbelievable.

Struck By Lightning is a twisted story of one high schooler's attempt at a better future. SBL isn't always realistic but it makes up for it with humor. I haven't seen the movie yet but I do hope I like the movie better than this book. I look forward to reading Colfer's The Wishing Spell and his other upcoming books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring Story, November 21, 2012
By Christine Hallett
Format: Kindle

I have just finished this book, I found I couldn't put it down. This is the story of a person who refuses to give up on his dreams no matter what life throws at him. A book that is hilarious in parts, as well as sad, I loved the characters.

It is a great insight into a young person's life, dreams and disappointments. This was a book that showed the strength of a young man who against many odds did not give up on his dreams, even when he felt most vulnerable and in turn he learnt more about himself and about the dreams and flaws of others and in this it gave him a greater perspective on life.

Chris can I say, don't ever stop writing, you are an incredible young man, who will go so far. You are such an inspiration to so many for just being yourself and I feel there is nothing that will stop you achieving whatever you wish to do in your life.

Kindest regards,
Chris Hallett

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 24, 2012
I'd like to start off by saying that I believe Chris Colfer is immensely talented and I consider myself a fan of his, but I have many issues with his writing. I had seen the movie before reading this book, and I really enjoyed it, so I honestly thought I would like the book just as much. The problem is -and this is something I didn't like about The Land Of Stories as well- that despite the promising feel of the story, Colfer's writing feels rigid and the characters are often one-dimentional, not to mention the author's annoying habit of always explaining exactly what is going on in the main character's head, without leaving anything for the readers to understand on their own.
I didn't have issues with Carson's character per se, I fully understand his anger and frustration and -yes- he's a jerk, but he can also be funny as hell. What I didn't like about him was the constant whining, which made the whole story feel like one big angry monologue rather than an actual journal. I would have loved for the book to go deeper into his relationship with his mom, which was one of the best parts of the movie. I wasn't that bothered by the ending, because I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I understand how an unknowing reader could have seen it as an easy, rushed shocker.
Overall, I would not recommend the book. Once again, the concept is brilliant (and well developed in the movie), there are many hilarious jokes, but the book is just badly written. I struggle to believe it would have been published if the author were unknown. I'm confident that with better editing and more experience, though, Colfer will become an amazing storyteller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struck By Inspiration, March 7, 2013
As a sophomore in high school and an aspiring journalist, this book has left me breathless and inspired. After watching the movie and reading the book, I felt so inspired and ecstatic for my future, just as Carson expresses throughout the entire novel. This book not only inspires, but teaches great inner strength and self confidence through awful experiences. I applaud Chris Colfer and all of his work. Thank you sir, for doing just as Carson did, and inspiring others to write while writing yourself. I am truly inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a time there was a boy who flew..., March 3, 2013
Already a huge Chris 'appreciator' (I won't use the word 'fan'), I looked forward to reading this book expecting good things anyway. However, what I wasn't prepared for, was a book, written by a young man at the very start of his career that is so 'well-rounded' and accomplished that it made me (a not so young person, much further on in my life and career) stop and think. Yes it was funny - hilarious in parts but it was so much more than a cheap coming of age look at life in an American high school. It was a book full of wasted opportunities and dreams but not through the fault of Carson Phillips, the main character. Carson couldn't have dreamed much harder. The waste came in Carson having all those dreams snatched away from him, robbing him of a future which could have held so much for him. The realisation all the way through the book that Carson's dreams were destined to be just that was the hardest pill to swallow of all (even though being struck by lightning happens at the end and not the beginning of the book like the film does). I think knowing the ending made the book even sadder. I have read critiques that criticise Carson's character saying that it is hard to feel sorry for such an obnoxious teenager. I just do not share their view on this at all. Carson has had to develop a thick outer shell to cope with being a 'square peg in a round hole' all his life. It would be enough to leave even the most optimistic person jaded. And jaded he is until his plan gets underway and Carson realises that most people have their own cross to bear. And the fact that Carson realised this just before his death increases the impact of his departure from this tough and crazy world in which we all live. Chris - you amaze me. I will watch the rest of your career from afar and will always wish you well. As a gay woman with 2 young sons, aged 9 and 7, you inspire me. To my sons - you are actually their hero. We have come a long way over the last 20 years and with you fighting the corner for anyone who dares to be different, I am sure we will travel even further.
Once there was a boy who flew... and that boy was Chris Colfer. Well done you!
Twitter: samandjoel0305

5.0 out of 5 stars No Hath Like Reality, March 2, 2013
I know no one wants to think about the horrid moments that arrive in life. But... they're real. This book is an excellent reminder of this. Of how unfair a single life can be and how that life can effect others too. I recommend it. Chris Colfer is new to the industry, but already has the life balance down. Condos to you Sr.
P.s.I recommend the movie too. It was very good, yet very sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern-day Holden Caulfield, February 7, 2013
Carson reminded me of a modern-day Holden Caulfield. Although his classmates are depicted in an exaggerated way, there is a grain of truth that alienated intellectual youth can relate to. The book is very funny, but touching and sad at the same time.

Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal
Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer (Hardcover - November 20, 2012)
$17.99 $14.66