5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be wowed!
"Prepare to be wowed! Can't remember when I've read a book with a more original premise. Add a hot romance and kick-ass action and you've got a 5 star winner! I gobbled up "Struck by Thunder" in one sitting. Best news? There are five more books in the saga. Can't Wait!"
Published on November 11, 2011 by Sneaky Romance Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Was this written by a man?
Published on June 15, 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be wowed!, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Struck by Thunder: HOT Historical Romantic Suspense, (The Grandmaster's Legacy Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot and Spicy Love Triangle with a Twist, December 9, 2011
I'm used to reading romances where the woman must choose between two men, but this story focuses on Wyatt ... a sexy Kung Fu master and horse trainer extraordinaire ... that desires two completely different women. Both are forbidden, but for different reasons.

He doesn't mind breaking a few rules, and doesn't hesitate to seduce one of them, the wife of a despicable politician, fairly early in the story. But when Lei -- the exotic and virginal daughter of a dangerous man -- is also his marital arts student, he fights his instincts and tries to maintain a safe distance as her sexual awakening grows more insistent.

Wyatt is an honorable man, but he's still a man. He fights against his conscience as well as social mores, the memory of his dead wife and his obsession with Lei.

In addition to the heart-racing, raw sexuality, I also enjoyed the historic setting in the Wyoming frontier as well as Ms. Lee's riveting prose. Highly recommended for fans of Romance that enjoy a page-turning and thrilling story as with sizzling love scenes.

This is a great book to read with your significant other, guaranteed to add a little spice to your life.

***warning*** For ADULTS only! 18+

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Blend of Kung Fu Meet American West, May 19, 2012
I was intrigued by the blurb on this book about the Kung Fu fighting in the American West and a romance between a half-breed Kung Fu Master and a half-Chinese female student. It was quite an incredible story though not for the faint of heart.

Lei Chang is the daughter of the strongest Tong leader in America and she wants more than anything to become a Grand Master of Kung Fu. Her father, Wan, cannot deny her so she is sent to study at the prestigious dojo of Joey, who trained the current best Grand Master, Wyatt McManus a wealthy Wyoming rancher and businessman.
Wyatt and Lei do not hit it off well because he is arrogant and condescending and she has a temper. Lei loses that temper in a match with Wyatt and ends up showing disrespect by spitting at him. He then publicly humiliates her. But this is the moment he begins feeling attracted to the young fiery woman and she with him when later he forces a kiss that she eventually reciprocates.
Wyatt is a very hard, dangerous man both to men in his business dealings and with women when he 'loves them and leaves them' for the next one. Lei has been sheltered all her life and Wyatt's ways are an eye opener for her. But some things she is quite used to like being the target of half the students in the dojo who are from rival tongs. She walks a fine line to keep her father from pulling her away from her training and keeping him from interfering because of her growing (albeit mixed) feelings for Wyatt.
In the meantime, Martin and Jesse Kendrick leave the high society of Boston to travel back to his family home in Wyoming. Martin is running for governor. He uses the excuse of Jesse's horse having behavioral issues to approach Wyatt who has a knack with horses. Martin wants Wyatt's backing and his money, but makes the mistake first thing of unwittingly insulting Wyatt and his men by slinging racial and class slurs to what he thinks are just a group of cowboys. Jesse is embarrassed, but also intrigued when she meets the larger than life Wyatt who swats her swaggering husband down like he's a gnat.
So many brands are now in the fire of this story. It was one exciting ride to the very end.

The plot is one long twisted rush both due to the romantic entanglements of Wyatt with both Lei and Jesse and then the political storyline comes into the forefront and finally the Tong and Kung Fu element.

Truthfully, I'm giving this story one more star than I intended because I realize that it was my own preference and not the author's storytelling that is the issue.
My hang up is Wyatt. There are many aspects about his character that I liked, but there was one big glaring facet that angered me- his treatment of women. Both women told him 'no' or indicated discomfort with something he wanted them to do while having sex and he just pushed them until they agreed. It was like a Dom who disregarded the safe word. Even if they enjoyed it afterwards, 'no' should have been 'no'. To be fair, I get why he was rough since he was an angry hurting man over the death of his wife, but that does not mean it gave him the right to disrespect those who came to him willingly. He wanted the women to try things and he indicates that he would have stopped if at that point they did not want it.

That being the said, I was impressed with Taylor Lee's ability to write complex characters. Wyatt was probably the most complex, but Lei and the others were layered and interesting to get to know. Wan was very formidable as a tong leader, but had a soft spot for his daughter. Martin was a true 'love to hate' guy. I loved the men who were Wyatt's friends. The camaraderie was great and one of the things I enjoy about the Western genre.

Just so the reader knows what they are getting themselves into this story offers violence, rough sex play and dirty sexual talk that might not be everyone's reading preference.

Overall well-written and an interesting take on Western historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars So well written, a real page-turner!, September 16, 2012
In this story, Lei, a beautiful Chinese girl meets with the handsome, blue-eyed Indian called Wyatt who is also known as the Grandmaster. He earned the name, and the legend attached to it, by killing a tong leader who had tried to kill him. Wyatt is a rich rancher who owns great deal of land, runs the most famous dojo for Kung Fu, and is known for his magical ability as a horse whisperer and trainer. But the man is haunted by the horrible things that happened to him in his past, and by the death of his beloved wife. When he agrees to fight with Lei and train her brothers, he's shocked by her determination to beat him. He treats her gently in the ring. Hating him for his dismissal of her fighting skills because she's a female, she spits in his face. And the battle is on. This book just keeps getting better, and HOTTER, until I just gave up the housework & other chores and finished the darn thing. Whew...am I ever glad I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Was this written by a man?, June 15, 2012
Amazon Customer (Richardson, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I am not sure if we can call this book a romance novel, a saving grace would be to call it a Kung Fu novel, the one person I really like is Lei, Wyatt on the other hand is everything about a man a woman shouldn't date least of all fall in love with. Not only is he arrogant, according to the author (I paraphrase) "the kind of arrogance you are drawn to," although I am yet to see that kind of arrogance, he is totally disrespectful towards women. What is that with Jesse?
I mean what is the deal about the anal sex, I felt like it was rape especially after the girl consistently said she didn't want to do it but because he was mad he needed that. I know we are suppose to feel pity for him considering he was raped by men when he was a kid, but the author could have expanded on that.
I get the he is not a perfect man, type stuff but even his flaws are celebrated, I mean he could be superman, not only is he electing people to govt, he is a horse whisperer and a Dr?!
Although I don't like the man I am stuck reading the book, I am on the second one, what can I say, its free. *shrug*
Another thing I don't get is the race thing, Lei could have been pure Chinese and be beautiful why does it feel like it was the mixed heritage that gave her her good looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!!!, February 18, 2012
I've read all the Grandmaster Legacy books and they're just exceptional!! Struck by Thunder is just my favorite.....a complex and tormented hero, a kick-ass heroine and how can I forget the action packed scenes (in and out of bed)!!!! Can't wait to see more of Lei and Wyatt's family!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series! Highly recommended, July 31, 2012
Struck by Thunder is the first book in the Grandmasters Legacy series. It is a highly intriguing book that sucked me in from the first page. I got this book because it was free and really thought I would not like it because of the reference to kung fu. Boy was I wrong. This is one of the best books I have ever read. It takes you on a journey detailing the story of Wyatt and Lei. Their relationship is stormy and while some readers will focus on Wyatt's promiscuous sexual behavior and label him a "cheater", there is much more depth to it than that. There was so much emotional baggage with both Lei and Wyatt and I felt frustration, anger and sadness while reading about their struggles. It is a story of true love that comes with issues that are not uncommon in today's relationships. I love, love strong alpha males and strong heroines. You definitely have that here. A descriptive phrase about the book references "gratuitous sex" but I felt the sex scenes were appropriately placed throughout the story. It is definitely erotic but the bigger picture is the love that develops between Wyatt and Lei. You see the impact of racial and female prejudice for the time period. I got emotionally involved with all of the characters in this book and couldn't wait to get back to reading it. I have already read Race for Redemption that continues Lei and Wyatt's saga and again was sucked into the book and couldn't let it go. I highly recommend the first two books and am looking forward to the third book that I have already purchased. I'll definitely read this one again and I have already purchased some of Ms. Lee's other books.
Taylor Lee has a wonderful writing style that draws you in and keeps you there feeling the pain of the characters and makes you analyze their actions. If you don't like hot love scenes and have a rational view of the fact that sometimes a person who cheats can actually redeem themselves, this may not be the book for you. But you will be missing a wonderful love story that includes a lot of historical information on the old west to include Chinese and Indian culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struck by Thunder, July 10, 2012
Taylor Lee is one of my Favorite authors, I am happy to finally have read Wyatt and Li story as I first got to know them through Elena and Bi in the French man woman and The French man Revenge. I can honesty say that I want to butt kick Wyatt through most of the book and I am glad I already knew him 20 years later. I love that the female character is so strong in her own right. Great intro to the series even though I read them backwards. LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me up until early morning reading!, January 28, 2012
Wow! This is the best book that I've read in a long time. I have a set bed time, but I was up until late/early hours finishing this book. Wyatt is such a cad in this book that I didn't know what to think, but there was a HEA, so I was satisfied in the end. Be forewarned, this is definitely erotica. That was a surprise to me, but a nice surprise, especially considering the excellent writing and great story, which is often lacking in erotica. I immediately bought the sequel which I will start next. I usually don't like too much suspense and it looks like the sequel has quite a bit, but I have to find out what happens next to Lei and Wyatt and all the other wonderful characters in the book. I got this book for free, but it's well worth the cost, and a steal at 99 cents. There were 5-6 editing/formatting problems that I caught, but it didn't hurt the flow of the book, because the story was so engrossing. And that's actually not too bad for an independent author. Loved, loved, loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Taylor Lee Did It Again!!, November 10, 2012
This is now my fourth Taylor Lee book. To be candid the first part of the book was very similar to the other three - alpha male, resisting female and TL trademark hot detailed sex scenes. The more I read, the better I liked it. Part of my enjoyment was that I could almost "get into" the book - since I live in Wyoming. Although this is fiction, I suspect much of the story very well could have occurred in the early 1900's - as Wyoming was building its new Statehood. Further, I loved the foundation of the book which includes the mixing pot of Caucasians, Mexicans, Chinese and Indians with their respective great cultures and traditions and the inter-racial relationships. Very well done!!
The image of the west and Wyoming - we tough Cowboys don't cry!! I'm here to tell you: the end of the book will break that reputation.......
I'm fascinated with this author's stories and development of characters! She best describes herself on a website: Amazon.com: Taylor Lee: Books,Biography, Blog...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›