5.0 out of 5 stars Don't playa hate. Participate.
Even after taking a mid-level CS course where this book was the required text, this book still sits on my bookshelf at work for reference. Why? Well, certainly it is not the most comprehensive book of data structures in existence, nor is it written with a scholarly tone.

Published on May 11, 2009 by Jeff Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed it for class, it did it's job.
It was the text for my class. I cracked it a few times but found online resources to be better written. I can't see myself reading this cover to cover to learn more about Java but it's OK as a reference book. I'm glad I bought it used.
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't playa hate. Participate., May 11, 2009

But, that's the point! Michael Main's writing has the air of accessibility that many other CS texts fail to promote. In reading it, you'll feel like a guy that is passionate about this confusing subject is right there helping you out.

I think many reviewers are transferring their frustration about this particular topic to this book. It is not meant to be an authoritative tome about all the nuances of computer science, nor is it even meant to teach you how to program at all. It is meant to convey a deep understanding of what many common data structures are and how they work. In this respect, it is an absolutely wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have one too many java books in my stock, May 13, 2004
"minotaur789" (Tonawanda, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I read a lot of confusing books by java experts that sometimes forget to go back to the simple basics when teaching simple minded readers. However, this book is for continuing readers of java who had some, but not expert training, experience in writing programs. What I liked most of this book is how he gives pointers on what to look out for while programming, and provides alternate solutions that would be better off in the long run than what general programmers tend to come up with. I also liked how he distinguished between specification and implementation to improve group/team environments (especially for large programs). His specifications before each class gave me a very intuitive idea of what is being asked rather than being confused with all that code. Once I got the general idea, I was able to under the code more. By following the convention that I described about the way he helps the readers, data structures became very clear to understand, especially when it comes to implementing such structures in Java. Its better to read this book slowly one chapter at a time than to jump into the middle, if you want to get a thorough established view of what is going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, June 30, 2000
By A Customer
So far this is the most clearly written and easily understood Computer Science text book that I have come across and used in a class. With most of the attention paid toward ADT's, our class not only learned them, but also the Java programming language on top of it! I highly recommend this book. Little if any bugs too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 16, 2010
I like this book because it has clear explanations, easy to follow examples, quick review tests and answers. This book is a complete package in terms of learning data structures with Java. if you follow it from beginning to the end, do the exercises and some projects you will have a solid foundation to move to more complex topics and projects. As with any programming book, you get what you put in, so read and code. Some topics may seem too easy and there is a temptation to just skip them, resist the temptation and follow the structure. Then do some projects at the end of each section. Some readers say it's too spread out and easy, yet they fail to complete the projects. Small projects indicate how well you can apply the knowledge, so do them and maybe even expand on them and your success is guaranteed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Hash tables well, November 24, 1999
Rich (New York , NY) - See all my reviews
I only needed to use the Hash table section. It was complete and the examples were easy to follow. The author explained hash tables in general, then he implimented one in java from scatch, and then it showed how to use the java api hash table classes. Very good job by MR. Main! I also read the hash table section in Core Java 1.1 volume I, but that book did not really explain hash tables very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook, clearly written and few errors, March 13, 2000
By A Customer
I am using this for a data structures course and as I read through it (I am in Chapter 9 now) I am more and more impressed with it. So far I've found only one glaring Java syntax error (p. 246), which is pretty good considering today's shoddy proofreading. The students like it too. Good job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory book, May 18, 2004
Despite having a professor who criticized Main's approach to almost every topic (seemingly in a bid to sell more of her own book), I enjoyed this book and got much use out of it. Other reviewers here claim the example code was buggy: I rarely type in and compile sample code - I never did for this book - so I cannot comment on any errors. However, the author's website has code for almost every class in the book. I highly encourage you to check it out.
I enjoyed his discussion of the topics; he clearly explained the fundamental ideas of the topics covered in the book. One does not need to have example code to write a linked list class if one reads his clear descriptions of it. Same goes for most ideas in the book.
The weak point I thought was sorting, and this was more of a weakness of my own than the author's. Two entire chapters are devoted to searching and sorting, but I just wasn't very interested in it. However, it is a useful concept, and you get much analysis of a few common searching & sorting routines.
The best strategy to use this book is simply to read it straight through. Only quickly scan his code, to get an idea of one way to implement an idea. Read his explanations a few times until you understand the ideas and can state them in your own words. You don't need to be able to memorize Java-specific implementations of ideas from this book. You should, instead, be able to clearly explain in English the abstract ideas that are taught in this text. Recommended both for class and for learning on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars systematic learning, September 14, 2010
Noah Spahn (Santa Barbara) - See all my reviews
Michael Main takes a systematic approach to present a (possibly) daunting topic. As an avid reader of technical books, I have seen the full spectrum: from books that aren't worth the paper that they are printed on to books that you want to keep around because they are so good. This book definitely falls into the later category. Main has a incredible aptitude for making the abstract into the understandable. The readers comprehension of each new concept is solidified by it's methodical presentation. This book is worth every cent and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and informative, April 25, 2006
For the student seeking to learn data structures, this book certainly covers the basics (sorts, trees, graphs, recursive elements, stacks, queues) well. While some introductory Java is enforced, it assumes a general background in basic Java programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but not necessary, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Data Structures and Other Objects Using Java (4th Edition) (Paperback)
This books has some pretty good examples of basic data structures, ranging from LinkedLists, Tree Structures, Lists, Queues, and Stacks. The content the book provides isn't necessarily all that great through as it just kind of skims over what's really happening in the code. I'd say if you're a beginner to java and you need something to hold your hand a little bit through what each piece of code is doing this book isn't for you. If you're someone with maybe a year experience or more you'll best just fine reading through this. Although anything in this book you will never need to know, it's still a good idea to practice and understand the algorithms that are used to produce the structures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Data Structures and Other Objects Using Java (4th Edition)
Data Structures and Other Objects Using Java (4th Edition) by M. Main (Paperback - November 12, 2011)
$165.40 $127.88