4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Movie - Very Touching
Published 16 months ago by Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Such Promise
This film had such promise, but then sunk in it's formulaic fashion. The film was so long, and got stuck in places, I had to fast forward at times. A great premise, as I said, but then...

Greg Kinnear plays a novelist, divorced but waiting for his ex-wife, played by Jennifeir Connolly to return. He has two children, Samantha, played by Lily Collins, a college...
Published 13 months ago by prisrob

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Movie - Very Touching, October 20, 2013
Jones "itimbuktu" (Columbia, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuck in Love (Amazon Instant Video)
I rented this movie one Saturday while cleaning the house and was surprised that I like it so much that I sat down on the couch and watched the entire film. The situations were realistic and the acting was great. Divorce is never easy and that coupled with the coming-of-age story of the son and the troubled mother-daughter relationship could have made for a trite and boring moving. Fortunately, the story was well-written and contained several heart-fealt scenes that set the film apart. I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authors unable to write the perfect love story, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Stuck in Love (Amazon Instant Video)
Interesting story about a family of writers. The mother leaves the marriage and marries another man. The father still yearns for his wife. The older teenagers are caught up in their own discoveries about love. Very nice scenery and a movie well worth seeing if you believe in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, November 1, 2013
Jen TX (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuck in Love (Amazon Instant Video)
I absolutely loved this movie. Everything about it was real, believable, and highly entertaining. I definitely recommend you watch this immediately!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars... as utterly predicatble as it is enjoyable, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Stuck in Love (DVD)
"Stuck In Love" (2013 release; 96 min.) brings the story of the Borgens family. As the movie opens, we see Bill Borgens (played by Greg Kinnear) secretly looking inside the house of his ex-wife Erica (played by Jennifer Connelly), who left him a few years ago to marry a younger guy. We learn that Bill still isn't over Erica, and is "stuck in love". We also meet their daughter Sam (played by Lily Collins), a college student who somehow managed to publish a novel with a major publishing house, and hence following in the footsteps of her dad. Sam is all tough on the outside when it comes to love and relationships. Then there is their son Rusty, a HS kid who also aspires to become a writer and who has a crush on Kate, a seemingly unavailable girl in his class. Lastly, we get to know Tricia (played by Kirsten Bell), Bill's occasional girlfriend, and who is trying to coach Bill back into the dating scene. Will Bill and Erica get back together again? or will Bill find success in the dating scene? or both? will Rusty win the love of Kate? and what about the toughness of Sam? To tell you more would ruin your viewing pleasure of this plot-heavy movie, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the feature debut of writer-director Josh Boone, who brings us a pleasant rom-com, even if at times it's played too safe in my opinion. In fact, the movie stands out for me for the acting performances. I almost always enjoy Greg Kinnear, and likewise for Jennifer Connelly, and I did here again. But the bigger surprise here is Lily Collins (daughter of Genesis singer Phil Collins). When she makes her first appearance in the movie, I thought for a second or two "wow, Jennifer Connelly looks so young!", only to then realize it was not Connelly, but Collins does in fact looks like a replica of Connelly 20 years ago. And it's not just the looks, as Collins carries a big part of the movie on her shoulders, and with ease. We surely have not seen the last of her (she also stars in the upcoming "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" in a few weeks). Last but certainly not least, the movie features a great soundtrack of indie music, scored by Mike Mogis and Nathaniel Walcott (from Bright Eyes), with some new songs and also a few older from Bright Eyes and others (at one point one of the HS kids gives a Bright Eyes CD as a Christmas gift--do teenagers really still buy CDs?).

Bottom line: take this movie for what it is: a pleasant rom-com that is as utterly predictable (as to the plot) as it is enjoyable (as to the performances). This movie showed up last weekend at my local art-house theatre here in Cincinnati without any pre-release hype or advertising. I figured this won't play very long so I went to see it today. The screening that I attended was attended okay, but certainly was not packed. If you find yourself in the mood at some point for a lighter and pleasant film where you don't get challenged whatsoever and all the work is being done for you on the screen, go ahead and check out "Stuck In Love", be it in the theatre or on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite movie, October 31, 2013
The movie is a bit of a love story but it is also so much more. What I love about this movie is that it does a superb job illustrating the human condition. I have probably watched the movie ten times this year so far. The reason that I love the movie so much is that it marvelously runs through the whole gambit of human emotions and makes you want to laugh in some parts and laugh in others. The movie has such a quality and evokes such a positive emotional response that it makes me feel very human, and happy to do so. I think the quote from Raymond Carver that is used in the movie more than adequately explains the main theme of the movie: "I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone's heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark."

4.0 out of 5 stars "If Love Is Setting A Place At The Table For Someone Who Is Never Coming Home, I Think I'll Pass" - Samantha, October 22, 2014
Sheryl Fechter (Northern Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuck in Love (DVD)
It's another holiday for the Borgens family and everyone is together, well, almost. Rest assured that a place is set at the table for 'her' each and every year with high hopes from Bill (Greg Kinnear), that she will soon return to him. Bill is dealing with real issues concerning his two teenaged children, Samantha (Lily Collins) and Rusty (Nat Wolff) while missing his ex-wife, Erica (Jennifer Connelly). She left him three years ago for another man. Bill is a well-known author who now has a problem with writer's block, not having put a word to a page in three years, ever since Erica left. Samantha is certainly not holding out any notions of love for herself, she is a writer on the verge of actually publishing a novel at such a young age. Rusty also aspires to write fantasy stories in this film about love, loss, family, and a whole lot of words.

Bill spies on Erica from time to time while longing for her return, but also dabbles with his feisty and very married neighbor, Tricia (Kristin Bell). She can get longwinded while trying to convince Bill to get back into the dating game. This is not for him, he is waiting ... and is definitely "stuck in love" with Erica. With this family and their myriad of relationships, they move about as pieces on a chessboard with an ease in play. While Rusty is seeking more lifetime experiences for himself, Sam is spouting her mantra of 'hopeless romantics' and 'realists' to her brother or any other listeners. She certainly tries to block any feelings towards anyone but can someone so wickedly witty and lovely completely abstain from falling in love herself? And what of Rusty? He is falling head over heals for Kate (Liana Liberato). And then there is Louis (Logan Lerman)? Ultimately, the question befalls Bill to move on or wait for his ex-wife to return, will she or won't she?

Things in this film are not all uplifting, this is an honest look at life after a divorce tears apart the two parents and their family along with it. The two teens are left whirling with their forming opinions about life and love due to it. Because they are writers, words work for them quite well in the story. You will be able to pick out some writers certainly worth noting within too. Writer and director, Josh Boone uses a gentle hand and delivers a story that is easy to view. You are assured a film which is interactively entertaining in this uncomplicated and an appreciated romantic comedy/drama. I have viewed this film a number of times now and have enjoyed it each time. The character portrayals will capture your attention right from the outset as you get to know the Borgens family and how they individually move in and out of being stuck in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars New favorite!, March 5, 2014
SaMills (Sandy Beaches of, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuck in Love (Amazon Instant Video)
I used to think I had a favorite movie, but that was before I saw Stuck In Love. Solid storylines, excellent soundtrack, wonderfully acted, and full of little tidbits of inspiration. Greg Kinnear kills it in this movie, but the real shining star for me was Lily Collins. I've liked her in most of what I've seen her in, but for me this is her best film. This is my go to movie for a night in and I can't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really satisfying., April 14, 2014
Really satisfying movie. Just enough writers angst and dysfunctionally functional families. Takes place over the course of a year Thanksgiving to Thanksgiving, good literary references for all you book nerds out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, fast moving film about a cool writer family - finally a take on modern day issues that is not a cliche, November 30, 2013
This review is from: Stuck in Love (Amazon Instant Video)
Cool writer family, fast moving so there is no time to get bored...good take on modern day and familiar problems without a cliche'd wrap up. Excellent sound track - finally some one did the family drama right with characters and people that are likable and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, April 30, 2014
Many emotions and character development in this movie. A good movie. Serious though and deep. Several concepts in the movie are not appropriate for children or even young teens not already exposed to adult life concerns.

Stuck in Love