Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

• Stuck
  • Customer Reviews

Format: HardcoverChange

on November 27, 2011
I like all of Jeffers' books: all lovely and whimsical. This, though, is his best, in my opinion. It is absurd in a way that kids (even tinies like my 2.5 year old) and adults alike find funny, with a particularly amusing (and plausible even in the circumstances!) ending. I have already bought several copies for friends' kids.
0Comment64 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
Oliver Jeffers does an amazing job with Stuck. My almost 4 year old son was laughing so hard and then had me read it several more times. That is a good thing. As the title states, we were "stuck" in laughter!. It is an oversized book with amazing illustrations and because of its size, a nice book to read to a group for story time. This book is refreshing and helps children creatively think about things in a new way. It also adheres to the young child's developmental sense of self in the end. Highly recommend for an entertaining read at bedtime or with your story time group.
0Comment36 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2011
I've already read a couple Oliver Jeffers books, but this one is my favorite by far. Basically, Floyd's kite gets stuck in the tree, and he throws various items up to try to get it down. I got it for my cousin's kids (4 and 7), but my cousin and I were cracking up reading it!

Here's a link to Oliver Jeffers reading it:[...]
0Comment41 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
I gave this to my 2.5 year old for Christmas and she thinks its hilarious. I disagree with other reviewers that this would encourage children to throw children into trees... I ask my little girl "would you ever throw a cat/whale/house into a tree?" "And she says "NO, that's SILLY!"
on March 3, 2014
I read all the reviews on this book before purchasing, there were lots of mixed ones about the type of font and how the book ends. Let me just say, this book is pure fun. It is not trying to teach your child a lesson or be educational in any way. It is trying to get giggles and smiles out of your child, and in that way is a HUGE success! My child LOVES this book. When we first got it he only called it "stuck" and now he says, "stuck in tree book, pleaaasse" So, I cannot recommend it any more highly than that. Except to say, I loved it so much I went out and bought other Oliver Jeffers books, like "How to catch a star" which is also a huge hit with my 3 year old.
on June 17, 2012
I was ordering some books for use in my preschool classroom and Stuck came up as a book with good recommendations. I was spending off a gift certificate and after some research decided to order it on an impulse as a treat to myself. It is a nice quality book, simple matte illustrations, and aesthetically pleasing. The font is part cursive/ part print and is a bit difficult for my seven year old daughter to read which is unfortunate for motivated readers and my preschool students who might want to find familiar letters or words in the text. The story was cute and pretty imaginative- just missing a real hook to keep me laughing. It's the end of the school year so I no longer have classes full of children to read to, maybe I'll have a different opinion about this book after I have a receptive audience. I'll add to this review in the fall if this is the case, but as a teacher of 25 years this book doesn't live up to some of the other read-a-loud books that I work with on a regular basis.
**Update
After reading this book to groups of children from pre-k to third grade I have decided that this is a very funny read-out-loud book indeed. One class of students were inspired to create their own "Stuck" story and we ended up making a huge "Stuck" tree in our classroom and hanging drawings of our "Stuck" items from it. It's always a fun book to bring out with a new group, the laughing starts on the third page and just gets louder until the surprise ending! The font remained a bit of an issue for early reading preschoolers, it just wasn't similar enough for most of them to decode- but it wasn't generally an issue since the book is such a great group time read.
1111 comments11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
I will first admit my bias to Oliver Jeffers, I love all of his books and incredible artwork. But this one has to be in my top two. It is so funny, so much detail in the illustrations, it never gets old. My 3 year old and 7 year old girls both love it, so its in our top picks consistently at bedtime. I think I may be buying this for some adults this year as well, it is a pretty good metaphor for life... keep doing the same things over and over and expect a different result... Love it.
0Comment13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
Cute idea and great illustrations, but all three of my children (8, 6 and 3 years old) were frustrated and confused by the ending. There is no resolution. Too bad.
on April 18, 2014
While I generally like this artist's style of art, I think this story is a relatively weaker venue in terms of showcasing his art/creativity.

The story is a bit like a too-long joke that just keeps going and going and going (with an okay punchline at the end). A young boy gets his kite stuck in a tree, and so he throws... a ladder, a saw, firemen, etc... and instead of dislodging his kite (and instead of using the ladder to say, climb the tree) EVERYTHING gets stuck in the tree.

Parts of it are funny, and my three-year-old did like it the first time through... but hasn't really asked for it since.

Also, I'm really not thrilled to have a kid's book where someone throws a saw into a tree. BUT, the main reason I'm giving it 3-stars is because as a reader, I thought the joke wore on a little too long, and my kid hasn't asked for it again, which means it was kind of meh in his book as well.
on January 21, 2014
I bought this for my 5yo son in the Christmas gift frenzy, because I'd heard good things about it and it came recommended here along with The Day the Crayons Quit, which we love. I wish I'd skipped this one. The illustrations are cute and the general idea of a bunch of huge things implausibly stuck in a tree is funny and appealing, which is why I gave it 2 stars instead of 1. However, there is something deeply unsatisfying about the total lack of moral logic in the main character's behavior. And, as another reviewer mentioned, there is a lack of resolution that is also very unsatisfying. It's not funny or cute enough to compensate for those defects. If I'd bought this in a local store where it was easy to return things, this would have gone back for sure.