Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 7, 2003
I used this book in addition to Ready for RICA by James Zarillo. You MUST read the instruction pages, or the book will seem pointless. But if you read the instructions, you will get a lot from the book itself. There are sample case studies similiar to those on the RICA with all possible answers listed. There are also study tips to help prepare for the exam. This book was a core in my preparation for the RICA and I passed on the first try.
on January 9, 2007
This book ONLY covers the case study section for the RICA. Use it in conjunction with "Ready for Rica" by James Zarillo and study it and you'll be fine on the RICA exam. I studied the books while taking the RICA class in the credential program and it went smoothly!!!
on December 31, 2012
I have never written a review for anything until now, but I really wish someone had told me this before I purchased the Kindle version of this book.

The book itself is great: detailed, informative, helpful, etc. The Kindle version of the book falls very short in how it presents the assessment data. As anyone who is preparing to take the RICA knows, being able to analyze assessment data is really important when dealing with case studies. Unfortunately, when this book was converted into Kindle format, the assessment data is so incredibly small that the text is virtually impossible to read. I understand that when a print book is converted into an ebook, sometimes certain aspects of the original formatting are compromised. However, I am really disappointed that in this case, these sections of the book are unusable. Zooming in doesn't work. Pulling it up on your computer doesn't work.

You're only saving yourself about $1 if you go for the Kindle version and you end up with a mildly helpful book. Save yourself the trouble and go paperback for this.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2013
I bought this used from Amazon and it was worth the price of $3.99 plus shipping. The book contents is entirely case studies to help practice for the RICA. It uses examples of individual students and groups of students. On the RICA, I did not encounter having to address strategies I would use for groups of students, only individual students. Nontheless, it was good practice and helped me to analyze in detail what approaches I would take. It also helped me to pay attention to details when examining the needs of students.

I will say that what is presented here was somewhat different than what is required for the test. There are several constructed responses and ONE actual case study. Bear in mind, the test was revised in 2009 to increase the rigor. As a result the first time passage rate went from 80% to 70%. Still, this means that most people pass their first time taking it. I used it as a companion to the Ready for Revised RICA: A Test Preparation Guide for California's Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (3rd Edition)which was my primary study guide. I read that book cover to cover.

Good Luck!
on July 8, 2015
This book really did help me pass! It had been three years since I failed the RICA twice and got discouraged. I read it along with Ready for Revised RICA by James Zarilli. I felt I took a crash course of how to teach reading by reading those two books.
review image
on August 16, 2006
This book was very helpful to my RICA preparation, but in conjuction with the Ready for RICA book. If you're using both, the approaches are slightly different, like the difference between the Clifs and the Barron's prep books for the CSET. Each had some merit, neither would be a good idea to be the single source for preparation. My essay portion was helped, however, by studying from this book, as it's suggested answers were different from the Ready for RICA.
on April 23, 2014
The fairly short length of the book makes it a quick way to prepare for he RICA test. I find some of the ideas modeled s good RICA approaches to be doubtful. If a child will not speak, giving a speaking test may n be the best way to evaluate reading comprehension.
on April 20, 2016
This is the study guide I have purchased to help study for the RICA exam. It pairs nicely with "Ready for RICA." The study guides in this book have helped me tremendously. I always take them and then review what I have not fully understood from my Ready for RICA text. This was a great and helpful buy.
on March 6, 2003
I am going to take the RICA in about a month. Many of my friends have already taken the test and said this book was helpful. The book is not intendend to be a sole preparation for the RICA. You need to have a knowledge of terminology and strategies to go along with this book. There are some helpful web sites and books for this purpose as well as any "Language and Literacy" courses you may be taking in your credential work. This book is to give you sample case studies such as the ones you will be required to write about on the real test. Keep this in mind when studying.
on January 13, 2013
The test is actually very easy. They are looking for key phrases and the knowledge of how to assess, teach, reassess, reteach... Pay attention to the case study examples, the case study shows that you understand the process and have good observation skills. Just read through the case study examples and one of them wioll be simular to the one they will ask and you will be prepared. I would suggest taking a a 2 hour reveiw to prepare and read the case studies in this book and you will pass.