4.0 out of 5 stars Great little art table
I found this table at another seller for less than the price listed at amazon.com (including shipping) and bought it. It comes unassembled and the instructions are not the best but if you take your time it is possible to complete.
Published on September 22, 2009 by DPW

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad!
The instructions were a little vague, but the pictures really helped. I have plenty of experience with flat pack, but this could have come out backwards if I wasn't extremely vigilant.

Published on February 14, 2011 by Jakeshmake

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little art table, September 22, 2009
DPW (Irmo, S.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station, Silver/Blue Glass (Misc.)
The little side drawers are plastic and could be omitted to allow more leg clearance. The metal pencil drawer is large enough for most storage. The little plastic trays on each side of the table top are good for keeping current project tools easly available. I would have liked these trays to be wood (maybe I'll have some made).
The support frame has enough clearance between it and the glass top to place linkable undercabinet flourescent lights to make the table into a light table.
Make sure to buy a light fixture that will fit. I used 2 Lights of America brand model 7114 fixtures and a white poster board for a reflector. You could use the smaller model 7108 or use more fixtures for a larger illuminated area. Works as well as my light box.
This is great for tracing your sketches to make ink drawings or other art forms like a colorized finished copy of a drawing (no lines on your color copy to erase or hide)(remember to put a plastic sheet protector, tranparency or other clear film between your original and color or ink project to prevent spill or leakage. Also, this is a glass top so don't use it for cutting or other projects that could scratch the surface.
Over all I am vey pleased with this table. It has inspired me to draw again after years of making excuses.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little DIY, but overall pretty good, August 4, 2010
There is a little "putting together". It took me a little over an hour, and I did take time studying the diagrams. There was only one part of the instructions that I couldn't quite figure out, and ending up fixing later once I realized what direction the metal pieces had to fit in order to hide the plastic sides, but that was easy.

As someone said, I did spend a little time getting the screws through the sliding draw brackets, but I'm pleased to say all the parts were there and all the screws went in easy. It's light, sturdy, and I will probably experiment with some lighting underneath to turn it into a light table.

The holes in the plastic side sleeves are a little smaller. They'll hold brushes, but not pens, and yes, the plastic drawers did require a little effort to snap together, but nothing too frustrating. I also put the front drawer in backwards so it stuck out before I turned it around. It would've been nice to have a "Front" or "back" engraving or sticker. (The legs have stickers with "R" and "L".)

If you're not handy or have never put together any furniture from Ikea or anyplace else, this might be a little bit of a struggle, but it can be done. And if you've ever put together any furniture, you won't have any problems.

I also wouldn't waste time with the screwdriver provided (which is attached to the other end of the Allen wrench). All the tools work fine, but I found a normal Philips screwdriver much handier.

I like the design. It's very clean and stylish, and I love the glass top. I also went elsewhere (CSN) to buy this product. The price was about the same, but I found free shipping elsewhere, and it only took a couple of days to arrive.

UPDATE 12/17/10: I've had this desk for several months and had no problems. I added a clip on light and did finally remove the drawers on the bottom left, because I kept banging my knee against it. I still love it. It's stylish, clean and strong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad!, February 14, 2011

I love the glass top. Taping a drawing or painting to the surface, the glass makes sure it's secure- unlike particle board. I've put a small lamp under the desk to serve as a light box for tracing, and it works beautifully.

The one thing that is keeping me from giving this desk five stars is the lower pencil catch. When at its lowest position, it still rests about three or four millimeters above the surface of the desk. If you're using a t-square, this is a huge problem for vertical lines. I know I could just get something to rest on the t-square, but that's just not how i like to do things.

I love having the plastic bins on the right side, but didn't put them on the left. The drawer is fantastic. All around great product- but just know that if you plan on using a t-square, you'll miss out on some of the functionality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drafting/Drawing Table!, August 17, 2010
I was a little concerned when I bought the item about how sturdy it would be but after getting it together those fears were not realized.

Pros:
Looks great
The glass is much nicer than some cheap composite wood
Lots of storage that is out of the way
I can still draw on this without having a drafting stool
Sturdy
Pretty easy to put together

Cons:
The side trays are really cheap and not really usable
While the instructions for putting the table together were good save one spot. Make sure you dont mix up the front and back table support (the front has the metal rings on the top).
My metal pencil drawer came with a cracked corner.

All in all this was a great buy and should last for a really long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty solid, fairly easy setup, May 10, 2010
David (Frederick, Moldova, Republic of) - See all my reviews
I had read in other reviews that this table was a real pain to set up, but I found it to be pretty simple. The directions had some misleading images in which the parts were switched inexplicably, but it only took a little bit of analysis to figure out what was going on. If you've ever put anything from IKEA together, you shouldn't have too hard a time with this. The plastic trays on the sides of the table that are supposed to hold pencils, etc, are kind of crappy and are not attached very securely, but the sliding drawers are sturdy enough and it seems to have plenty of storage space, at least for my purposes. The table is, generally speaking, more attractive than most drafting tables that I've seen and I'm looking forward to working on it. Glass is definitely a better surface than the crappy particle board that most drafting tables (in fact, most inexpensive furniture in general) rely on. Overall, I would say that you could find a usable, less expensive table on amazon, but this seems like an excellent value for what it costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice table, April 16, 2010
I just received this table by Fed X 3 days ago. I was in shock on how much I had to do to put it together. I am somewhat attention deficit and have trouble sticking to a project until it is finished. I did finish (all by myself). It turned out to be a beautiful sturdy table, and is more attractive when done then pictured. I can't take my eyes off of it. It took two days of on and off work to finish. The hardest part were the plastic drawers interlocking, but with a little brute pressure they finally came together also a tip screw the drawers first to the plates and then attach the plates to the drawer, and then screw on the posts to the table. This prevents you to have to turn the table to the side. You might risk glass breakage. Another difficult thing is to attach the hinges for the metal drawer. I did it the hard way. I think you can attach the hinges on earlier during basic assembly to the attachment area (not sure) then screw in the drawer the very last thing. If you do it the hard way put the screw on the philip screw driver and then make sure you place it in the right holes. Eyeball this first.
"Voila!" it was all done and I felt so proud of myself. It is a heavy table and very substantial. The drawers work smooth and what I like most is the fact that it can be used as a light box. I have a small Ott light and since I do small drawings I just place it in the metal drawer with a cloth underneath the light. It works just fine and the ease of tracing is very good. The glass is a light water blue that minimizes glare. Great table!

3.0 out of 5 stars The table is ok, February 8, 2011
I bought this table because I liked the fact it was a glass top and could double as a tracing table. I also liked the storage compartments on it. However, I do feel that the quality could have been better. The black trays on the side of the table are always popping off. Perhaps the company could have thought of a better way to secure those trays to the table. That is my main problem. They Never stay attached.
Also, the Metal is really hollow and thin, I guess that's why the maximum weight allowed on the table is 25 lbs i believe. The table is not that sturdy. I wish it was more sturdy and could hold more weight.

I was reading other people's complaints about the level of difficulty assembling the table. But if you pay close attention to the directions and pictures, it's not that hard.

Overall, I think this drafting table is ok, just ok...If the trays stayed attached and the Metal wasn't so thin, then it would've been a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass Drawing Table/Station, January 18, 2011
Have to assemble. Use your own tools because the tiny cheap tools included just get in your way. I omitted the center drawer because it gets in the way of my legs because I use a drafting chair because of the height of the table. Instructions are a bit confusing, but just be patient, because the finished table is well-worth the time it takes to assemble.
I especially like the tilting surface, and that it is made of clear glass. Makes the entire table a light box with a bright light on a box pointed up at the table top.
Try to remember not to keep tools, art supplies, books piled on the surface. It does have a weight limit, and will also hinder using the tilted surface. Being able to tilt the work surface gives a great new perspective on your work, and also gives a break to you back from being bent over a flat table all day.
Easy enough to assemble if you just follow printed directions carefully.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seller has poor customer service, March 3, 2013
I wasn't sure where to put the rating...my desk was fine except one piece couldn't fit and we needed to drill our own holes. The main problem was the seller. They gave me the run around regarding my stuff then once I got it, my box was damaged really bad and so was one of the pieces. My son wanted the desk so I didn't go thru the trouble of sending it back...but never again will I mess with this seller

5.0 out of 5 stars With this beauty, who needs a seperate light board?, July 10, 2013
Great design! I'm a CAD designer in sheet metal on my day job and I was very impressed with the fit-up of the assembly. All the bolt holes lined up and were the correct sizes. The drawer kit and slider drawer also went together with ease (which is a rarity). The robot welds were superb quality and I did not find the glass to be thin at all! All the necessary hardware was there in a handy plastic/cardboard pack that had everything separated nicely. It came with it's own assembly tool; so, no need to break out the alan wrenches and screw driver!

I added a couple of strips of adhesive 12v LED lights to each side of the center brace and VIOLA; it transformed into the best light board I've ever seen!!!

There is, however, a problem with the isometric drawing on second page of the instructions. The legs are obviously not mated to the center and top in the model, and are shown from the back side while the center remains viewed from the front... For anybody that is putting this thing together and is not mechanically inclined, follow the orientation on the first page in regard to the position of the legs and front/back/center braces and you should be good-to-go.

Overall, I LOVE my new table! Even with the one bad drawing, I'm so thrilled on the whole with the result in design and quality that I give it five stars!

Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station, Silver/Blue Glass