5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great value
Compared to my other Montblanc and Waterman fountain pens, the Lamy Studio feels well-balanced with good ink distribution and overall writes just as smoothly. I was honestly surprised at the quality of the pen given its affordability. I should have known better since I also enjoy using my Lamy Swift rollerball. This pen is highly recommended, you won't be disappointed.
Published on May 18, 2007 by Steeler Nation

2.0 out of 5 stars cap has become loose without warning
Published 4 months ago by john lai

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great value, May 18, 2007
This review is from: LAMY Studio Fountain Pen, Brushed Stainless Steel, Fine Nib (L65F) (Office Product)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with One Design Flaw, January 9, 2011
This is my first serious fountain pen, so I can't compare on the writing quality (which seems fine otherwise). The design is really beautiful, the weight & balance are satisfying. The hidden benefit of this stainless steel version is that there's a better gripping surface (the black section) whereas the other versions are highly polished down to the nib. The black section is not soft like some pens, but just less prone to slipping.

You'll notice that when the cap is posted in writing position, the open end flops a bit, like a bell against the barrel of the pen. Its only anchor point is the end cap. I believe that's intentional because it avoids marring the brushed surface when posted, and though a bit distracting, is I guess a decent tradeoff.

My only complaint is the fitting of the cap when the pen is closed, with the cap on the nib end. Here it still sways against the barrel, or rather, the black grip section. The diameters are not matched, making it feel loose and so a bit clumsy and cheap. A real shame for what's otherwise a gorgeous, sleek, modern stylish design, and something that should definitely be corrected in the future.

Also, some vendors & the Lamy website offer factory engraved initials or full name on the pen for a modest charge (though they don't show where). I'm guessing it would be in the same sleek imprint as the logo, which would be subtle and elegant. I wish I had known about that, though it may mean you'd have to pay MSRP.

Overall, though, a keeper.

2.0 out of 5 stars cap has become loose without warning, June 14, 2014
The pen is elegant. That said, my disappointment here is the original snug fit of the pen cap to the body has suddenly disappeared allowing the pen body to drop off the cap while the cap stayed clipped in my pocket, ruining the shirt. i've looked at interior of the cap with a flashlight and cannot see if there is anything missing or wrong, just that whatever created the friction snug fit wears off and you may be left with a surprising mess one day. the cap is now so loose that I cannot keep the cap and body together unless its just allowed to laid flat on a desktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great looking and smooih writing fountain pen, January 26, 2014
Excellent in every aspect----looks---,performance--- and writing ability.
This definitely--- for the reasonable price---- undoubtedly.is the very best in its class

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Steel Lamy Fountain Pen, January 22, 2014
It had a sleek and very attractive look and worked very well with the fine nib. The lines were smooth and flowed easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Lamy pens., December 27, 2012
This is one of the best fountain pens that I own. It writes better than pens costing 3 times as much. It is a fantastic value, the nib is smooth and the flow of ink is just right. This will become my go to EDC pen! I just love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent upgrade., April 11, 2012
First, I should say that I've only been writing with fountain pens for roughly a year. I started out with a Lamy Safari, which was the perfect beginner tool, but I had seen this particular pen online for some time and decided to give it a shot. I have to take lots of mathematical notes, and although the Safari was doing its job, the nib was just a little too wide for my tastes, so I began looking for finer nibs. Well, instead of simply finding a new nib, I discovered the Studio, which comes equipped with a "Fine" nib, and stood out to me from the instant I saw it. With that said:

Again, this pen comes equipped with a fine nib, so if you're new to fountain pens and want that elegant, wide, and dynamic flow that you imagine fountain/calligraphy pens to have--then you have to get a medium nib to replace this one. The fine nib looks almost identical to that of a standard ball-point or gel pen. It also comes with a refillable cartridge, so it's in your best interest to get some ink to go with it instead of using disposable, in my opinion. More on that later.

The pen has wonderful balance with or without the cap; I picked it up and was instantly comfortable with it. I had used a Lamy Safari for the previous year--a much lighter pen, and I had no trouble whatsoever switching to the Studio. I haven't written with many fountain pens and I can't judge based on significantly pricier models, but any improvements beyond this pen would be marginal at best.

You can observe for yourself how it looks by searching online, and if you like its style (streamlined and not embellished), then I'm fairly sure that you'll be VERY pleased with how it looks in person. The Studio has an elegant form to it without wasting practicality to enhance the visual appeal, and that's how I like things.

I highly recommend this pen, not having used many other "high end" instruments, but with a few caveats: it is sensitive to your choice of ink and method of storage. I'm still using a bottle of Lamy Black that I started writing with some time ago, and when this pen is stored sideways, as I tend to do in my backpack, the ink ever so slightly leaks in the cap and gets on the pen's grip. Not a huge problem, as you can always wipe the ink off in a second or two, but it's an issue I haven't had with my Safari. I've been told this is fixable by using a different ink, such as Noodler's, or by storing the pen with the nib upright (which I don't do because I'm afraid the pen might un-cap in my backpack and leak ink on everything).

In conclusion, if you feel comfortable spending a fair amount of money on a pen, then I don't think you could go wrong with this one, whether it's for your collection or for daily use. It's solid all-around and you'll enjoy it. If you're brand new to fountain pens, consider checking out the Safari and make sure you enjoy writing with such an instrument before you commit to a pricier pen, and review other brands as well...I'm in no way an expert in this field and don't really know much about the other brands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Lamy I have, April 30, 2013
Tertullus "Tertullus" (Morehead City, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have a number of Lamy pens, including the Safari type and a couple of Lamy 2000's. This one is the worst of the bunch. The ink does not feed very well, resulting in a dry and somewhat abrasive feel to the nib. All other Lamy pens - cheap or expensive - have all had excellent nibs and ink flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Lamy product, July 13, 2014
Another great Lamy product to add to my collection, I already have a number of Safari and Al-Star fountain pens but needed a dressier pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall great pen, November 4, 2013
This is my workhorse pen. I can toss it around and not have to baby it and it will work fine every time. From the moment it is uncapped it is ready to go. I absolutely love it.
The weight is heavy and substantial in hand and feels quite well balanced. I have small hands and it fits fine. It has never leaked, the cap seals it perfectly and overall it is a solid, high quality product. I'd buy another in a heart beat.

The cap does not post well on its end, and may damage the coating. I always keep it unposted for this reason when I write, and this may annoy people who always post their pens. I bought my pen in a medium nib, and for me it was very wet. Keep in mind these pens are German made, and their nibs tend to be thicker than most. Their medium is a Japanese broad, and this fine nib may actually feel more medium to those who are used to Japanese brands. Also, all Lamy nibs are hand ground, so one nib may not feel the same as another.

To be honest, I absolutely love this pen. The price is great, it looks great, feels great and writes great. You won't be disappointed.