Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on August 12, 2010
Studio MovieBox Ultimate USB and the version 12 software is awesome! I was doubting on buying this product due to the negative reviews that most people was leaving for Pinnacle USB Video Transfer products. I was having the same problem with the video being jittery and voice quality being terrible. After 30 minutes of playing around with the input/output settings I figured out that my Analog Hi 8mm Camcorder tapes have degraded over time and I had to adjust the software settings for Poor Input Quality. Once I got the setting correct for the software the transfer and output of video and audio was flawless. I was able to output and post video clips on Facebook and to DVD. I hope this review helps anyone out there deciding on whether to buy USB Pinnacle Video Transfer Products.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2014
I was wracking my brain, trying to figure out how to capture Mini DV videos to my computer from my Sony Digital Handycam that I've had for almost 12 years. The only way to import the videos was through Firewire (IEEE 1394). Unfortunately, today's laptop computers do not have the Firewire port. I purchased the Pinnacle Studio MovieBox Ultimate Collection since I read some reviews that it does the job of providing a Firewire port through USB. Some reviewers stated that it worked beautifully, while others criticized the product for not working at all. I decided to take a chance on the product since I could not find any other solutions. Even the latest Pinnacle products do not offer the Firewire connection. After I plugged in the Pinnacle adapter to my USB port on my Dell Inspiron 15" laptop computer that is running 64-bit Windows 7, and then connected my Mini DV camcorder, using Firewire, my computer immediately recognized my Sony camcorder and provided me the options to import my video. I haven't used the Studio software, so I can't provide feedback on that. I mainly bought this product to capture my many years of home videos, before that capability is no longer available to the average consumer. Once I capture all of my existing MiniDV videos, I plan to transition to a camcorder that uses SDHC for storage as opposed to cassette tapes.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
I'm running a Core2Duo 2.33, and haven't tried the software other than to capture (with version 12 and 15 for capture with the 710-USB).

I will say both worked fine for capture of analog video from 8mm tape. In fact I captured an 1hr15 minute video last night (17 year old tape) and it worked beautifully. Plug and play (well, plug and capture actually), no hiccups. The video looked outstanding! There was nothing for me to do, it recognized the S-Video out, and output to DV. I think v15 has improved over 12 (which worked fine for capture too), as it looked so good and stable for such an old tape. I am impressed.

As for editing etc, I can't speak to as I do all that in Vegas. I only want the Pinnacle for the capture box and it's analog ins & outs. Vegas will use the firewire from my other cams, or files from my DSLR. The bundled plug-ins are made up from big name 3rd party apps, so those should be great for those wanting to edit with this package.
on January 5, 2011
I had high hopes and was bitterly disappointed. This product is dsyfunctional and the worst kind of aggravating hardware/software combination. I used it to try to transfer Hi 8 tapes. Sound quality was fantastic but the video would stop-and-go freeze. Never could get any continuity even after hours on the line with the tech support running though his binder. Supervisor never did call back when he said. If I could I'd give this O stars. How can these guys stay in business is as great a mystery as how they could put out such junk!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2011
Works as advertised, works fine with my 2 yr old laptop. Capturing analogue vhs takes a lot of computing power. Make sure your pc meets minimum specs, otherwise it could be a less than satisfying experience. Very happy so far with software & hardware.
on May 13, 2012
I didn't purchase this exact package, but it's still pretty much identical to a similar Pinnacle product I got as a Christmas gift in 2006 from my old man (since he knows I'm a budding video-hobbyist and needed a new analog capture device). It was the Studio Moviebox Plus USB2 Hardware W Mic & Greenscreen. It was essentially the same USB box as included in this package, and also included the Studio Plus 10.6 software, a microphone and greenscreen (the new version has the Studio Ultimate software and the greenscreen - no mic), along with the proper USB cable and a FireWire 4-pin to 6-pin adapter. Let me start reviewing the hardware...

The Studio MovieBox Plus/Ultimate device has surprisingly good quality when importing from an analog video source. In fact, though I usually used it with the Studio software, it also worked really well with Windows Movie Maker 2 on Windows XP and NeroVision (on the Nero 6 suite.) And a really cool feature is the FireWire-to-USB digital video transfer, complete with device control on a digital video camera (I still had the box when I first got my Canon ZR800 MiniDV Camcorder with 35x Optical Zoom and I did not have a real FireWire card on my Dell Dimension PC yet, but it captured in full quality and with full device control as if it were coming through a real FireWire port (this only works with USB 2.0, not USB 1), and this even worked with other programs like Adobe Premiere Elements. But prior to that, I still had my old Canon ES75 Hi-8 camcorder, and needed a way to capture my video (our old capture box didn't work anymore since we had gotten the Dell Dimension a few months earlier), so the MovieBox Plus did its job really well. It also worked perfectly for capturing from VHS, when I transferred some ancient VHS-C tapes we recorded in the 1990s to DVD. I also like how it doesn't need an external power supply like older Pinnacle MovieBox products did.

The software I am reviewing is Studio 15, as that is what is now presumably included with this package (I have used all Studio versions since 10.7, so this will mention version 15.) I do like the included features and interface. However, there are some occasions where it may hang or even crash. Having read the numerous reviews of various Studio versions complaining about the instability, the sad truth is that many video editing programs are like this sometimes. I've had this happen to me with Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, even iMovie '11 on my MacBook! Usually it would do this to me depending on the file format or available memory. In order for it to run smoothly, you'd need a pretty powerful PC with at least a 2 GHz dual-core processor or greater, 4 GB of RAM, a good graphics card, and don't have so many programs on at once. Following these, the program will work beautifully. I love its updated capture/import interface, and its great pan-and-zoom and picture-in-picture effects. The other transitions, video and audio effects are also nice, and it has an excellent title editor. It is also one of the few video-editing programs I know out there that has excellent DVD-authoring built right in without need for a separate utility (like Vegas Movie Studio, or even the rudimentary DVD authoring tools on Corel VideoStudio Pro or Cyberlink PowerDirector.)
The background rendering is also a nice touch (as I used to work with Pinnacle Liquid Edition in college; this was when I started liking Pinnacle's stuff as the TV studio supervisor was a former Pinnacle Systems employee.) The direct YouTube uploader is also convenient (I've made quite a few "YouTube Poops" on Pinnacle Studio Plus/Ultimate), and is a handy feature for me on quite a few consumer video editors (especially on iMovie '11 and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.)
on March 19, 2014
Have just installed and captured some 20 minutes of video from my old Canon HV20 camcorder which used miniDV tape and has FireWire connector. The FireWire cable needs to be plugged in to the interface box firmly as I initially did not have it pushed in all the way and it couldn't sense any signal. The box was able to detect the Canon HV20 with no problem.

I used to have desktop with FireWire and used it to capture directly from the Canon HV20. That desktop had i7 Quadcore 3GHz CPU running Windows 7 Ultimate, but it occasionally had problem with not detecting the Canon and required reboot. I no longer had that desktop, so have been looking for a way to import from the Canon.

There was some pop-up dialogue about script error, but I just ignored it and continue. I did not encounter any other issue.

The Pinnacle software was able to detect scene change and separate the individual scene into separate clips (shown in the capture window). So it would be easy to edit and get rid of scenes you don't want.

Once I stopped the capturing, there were 1 video file, 2 WAV files in the destination folder. The video did not have sound, which I'm guessing the capturing split everything separately for editing. I guess if I exported everything, then I would have a complete movie.

I will do a more complete capturing tonight of a whole tape (I used 83-minute MiniDV tape) and will update should there be any other issue beside the script error thing. But so far so good..
on May 19, 2014
I bought the Studio MovieBox Ultimate package several years ago (not sure how many years, but I think it was around 2002 - the software version in my box was v9, current version is v17...). For whatever reason, I never ended up playing with this much. I recall using it briefly when I bought it, then packing it up. That's about it.

Recently, I dug it out of a closet and plugged everything in to see if I could use it to digitize some old Hi8 cassettes that I had in an old shoe box. The v9 software didn't work, so I downloaded a trial copy of the v16 software from the Pinnacle web site. I found and installed a Windows 7 patch for the v16 software - this got me up and running. Everything worked great. So great, in fact, that I opted to buy the software upgrade to the newer v17.

It's a very simple package; not unlike any of the other video edit suites, or many of the audio editing suites that are available on the market. The hardware package has not changed much over the years; only the software has been modified.

Recommendation - if you're on the fence about buying this product; download the trial version of the software and play with some video files on your computer. See if it's something you want to do. If you like it - buy the entire package. Who knows, a dozen years from now you might be really glad you did!!!! <smile>
on June 27, 2013
I bought this product based on other peoples recommendations. Unfortunately, right after I bought it, they stopped supporting this particular product.
on April 8, 2011
First of all, it was difficult to get Pinnacle Studio 14 to recognize the MovieBox device. After I finally got the software to recognize the hardware, I tried copying my laser disc version
of Paul Simon's Concert in the Park (when will they release this on DVD??!!!). The results were awful. I had a feeling this would be the case while watching the import screen constantly
freeze up before I even clicked the "import video" button. My computer exceeds all of the system requirements and I had no other program running - I even used Task Manager to monitor for
anything running in the background. The video it produced looked pretty much like the preview I saw in the import screen: jerky video with constant freeze ups. Why does this product fail
so miserably? Before it was no longer supported, I used to use a capture device by ADS Tech that worked awesomely - with less system resources in a Windows XP environment, no less. Please
don't waste your money on this product!!!!!!!!!!