4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price
After a year of fairly regular use, 2 of 4 are still fully functioning. 1 burst after a few weeks, and 1 is tearing open (sealed with gorilla tape for now.

Published 9 months ago by Kevin F Flint

Writing a review about a sandbag isn't exactly on my bucket list, but now I can say I've done it in case the topic is ever brought up - With that disclaimer off my chest, I'll get to the point:

Published 9 months ago by finaldraft151

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, February 17, 2014
This review is from: StudioFX SANDBAG Sand Bag SADDLEBAG DESIGN 4 BAGS WEIGHT BAGS FOR PHOTO VIDEO STUDIO STAND (Camera)

I always suggest using gravel instead of sand, and putting it in a large ziplock bag before putting it in the sand bag. In this case, a wise move as the burst bag would have been a severe mess with sand. The torn bag would be leaving a trail of sand were it not for the inner bag I used.

All in all, worth the cost. These are budget bags, and they do a reasonably good job as budget bags. If you need high quality bags, and purchase these, you have only yourself to blame if they don't fit your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and durable, October 23, 2013
Chris J. Albertson (REDONDO BEACH, CA USA) - See all my reviews
These cost something under $5 each. I can't see how they it. They are exactly as described, double zipper, the stripes are sewn onto the black fabric. I put the sand inside a zip lock just to have one more layer of leak prevention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mehhh, okay for the price. Def not the pro version in terms of quality ..., February 15, 2014

They're okay for the price and for the 'casual' photo/video amateur - Meaning, if you're on a budget and just need some sand bags to weigh down a few light stands or a DIY jib, they will work. Don't expect a long life expectancy out of these if you're planning on using them for daily productions. They're not garbage by any means, but they aren't winning any awards for outstanding craftsmanship either. They're just cheap bargain no name bags that one should get if they need some weight but won't lose any sleep if you have to toss them after a beating on a shoot. 3 of the 4 I got were AOK - 1 arrived with the zipper already broke but I use lead weights in a baggy so the issue of spilled sand wasn't an issue.

Even with pro bags, if I use sand for ballast I will always put the sand in a heavy duty ziploc baggy just for that extra protection. I never want to be 'that' guy who leaves a trail of sand in some persons house on a shoot or fouls a bunch of equipment with silt because of all things, the sandbags failed.

PROS
Inexpensive and durable enough to be a warranted (and cheap) purchase and alternative for the low/no budget film maker/photographer. (u can skip the sand and go with gravel, nuts/bolts, lead, whatever dense/heavy stuff you have at your disposal)

Great for the small home studio/setup that doesn't get broke down daily or only gets put up now and then.

Bright and reflective - No more wondering around in the dark after a 18 hour day trying to hunt down orphan equipment - (also a plus if you're working with a group of folks who sometimes like to 'add' your equipment to their arsenal - (write your initials inside with a permanent marker or paint pin)

CONS
They're probably not going to hold up too long if they are used/moved often - Zippers are there for cosmetic/novelty use on some of the bags since they usually jam up and/or break right away. Outdoor heat/sun really takes a toll on them.
Inconsistent quality - You might get 4 that rival kevlar, or you could get 2 that are great and 2 that are about as durable as a plastic grocery sack. (I'm talking cheap liquor store plastic sack quality - Not a nice dept store bag like Macy's)

VERDICT - Not for the 'top shelf' equipment arsenal - Def geared as an expendable. Perfect if you need sandbags in a hurry and don't have access to a grip rental co. Ideal for rough terrain - Take them in empty, fill them with dirt at your location and use them. Great for the small studio where lugging them from location to location isn't an issue.

Hope that helps - Sandbagging is the mother of rigging and we all usually learn the hard way when we are first starting out and try to skip the weights on a C Stand (always entertaining to see your gear topple over because it's top heavy and then followed by a chorus of sarcastic "told you so's") - One thing to consider is checking used expendable/grip rental co's as an alternative. They often sell used bags and even though they aren't as pretty as a new shiny sandbag, they are the better route if you want/need pro gear with a long shelf life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap build quality, doesn't hold 20lbs, May 28, 2014
The design of these bags make them look promising, but they suffer from poor construction and materials. The sides of the bags have little holes in them, and the fine sand leaks out. The double zipper is a great idea, but the zippers are somewhat cheap and I'm concerned with them failing. I bought a 50 pound bag of sand to fill the 4 sand bags, I couldn't fit enough sand in each pouch and I still have sand leftover. I would be careful adding more sand, I don't see how they can hold 20 pounds of sand. Overall, they seem like they will work, but I'm disappointed in the quality.

If you're considering buying these, I would suggest filling a ziplock bag with sand and put those in the pouches.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you paid for..., April 5, 2014
They look legit but they leak sand out of the seams... if you are okay with getting sand all over the place, they work great... but not really great if you don't want to be leaving sand all over your vehicles and set.... If you don't mind wasting some gaffer tape, I would just tape all the seams up. That really helps prevent leakage and requires no sewing knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars holds stuff in place, November 2, 2013
I actually got 8 pounds of play sand in each one. These are also ALL black on the other side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, August 25, 2014
Of the four bags I received, the zipper was derailed on one of them right out of the box, and another bag developed a hole in it after one job. You would think that when making a bag to hold several pounds of sand, that a quality zipper would be foremost in mind. These zippers are not YKK, but some cheap (presumably Chinese) generic brand that were easily derailed. I also zipped another one off track after loading it with sand the first time I used it. Returned mine for a refund

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never buy another brand again..., November 10, 2014
Anyone who has ever purchased sandbags knows that they can be ridiculously (or rather, disproportionately) expensive. These sandbags are appropriately priced. In fact, I'd say that they are inexpensive and not cheaply made. I purchased similarly designed sandbags locally (a few years ago) and paid $20 per bag and they are made and stitched from the exact same materials. So, as you can imagine, I will never buy that other brand ever again. Kudos StudioFX.

3.0 out of 5 stars I ordered two and within a few uses I had leaks and one has opened up pretty good. I do highly recommend putting your sand, September 13, 2014
It's gets 3 stars mostly because the price is really affordable. I ordered two and within a few uses I had leaks and one has opened up pretty good. I do highly recommend putting your sand, nuts and bolts, gravel, etc. in a Ziplock BEFORE you put it in the bag. Since I did that and taped up the holes, They have worked pretty good. Because of the price I'll probably order a couple more, but I won't expect much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bags for Sand., June 28, 2014
So far so good. No Leaks and they just sit there and be heavy once filled with sand. I am skeptical about the zipper longevity but as long as they don't leak i won't have to move zippers.