Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on December 11, 2010
The StudioHut 10'x20' Fantasy Painted Muslin backdrop is the 3rd backdrop that I have purchased. The other backdrops that I own are black and white, so this is the first backdrop I bought that I want to "see" in my portraits. Compared to my other backdrops (also muslin), the StudioHut backdrop is more substantial/thicker. The color "pattern" is very pleasing, although it is painted such that there is a lighter area in the center of the backdrop which noticeably darkens towards the edges. Personally, I would prefer a completely uniform pattern, with no obvious dark/light areas, allowing me to light the backdrop as I choose to create shape and size of highlight area that I want. The photo in the description is more like what I wanted, although I would guess that it is just a sample from the center of the actual backdrop.

Being muslin, this backdrop is nearly impossible to use without wrinkles. However, I use muslin clamps on my backdrop support to stretch the backdrop as much as possible by clamping it to the backdrop supports, and use depth of field techniques to put the backdrop out of focus as much as possible when shooting, which very effectively hides the wrinkles. As other muslin backdrops that I have purchased, it arrives folded in a plastic bag, so when you first use it the fold-wrinkles are quite noticeable, even when using my techniques to soften them. If I am going to have wrinkles, I would prefer random wrinkles, so I attempted to remove the fold-wrinkles by washing this backdrop in cold water (no soap) and drying it in the dryer. This was not a great idea... I checked the washing machine about 1 minute into the delicate cycle and the water was black. I quickly drained the washer and dried the backdrop, hoping I did not ruin it. Fortunately, I did not, although it did not come out of the experience unscathed-- the color is faded a bit and also set a bit darker in the wrinkles. I was hoping that the paint used on this would be wash-proof, but it was not. My lesson learned... Next time I will take the time to iron out the fold-wrinkles instead. Despite this mishap, however, I still have a good backdrop for portraits. I would have given this 5 stars if they had only provided a warning somewhere, either on the Amazon page, the StudioHut page or, preferably with the actual backdrop that warned not to wash the backdrop.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2011
This is totally not what I was expecting from the photo and description. This is tie-dyed and not painted. The edge is dark brown and the center is tan with little transition/fade into it. There is also weird green spots and it just looks splotchy, cheap, and the dye comes off onto your hands. I could turn an old drop cloth into a nicer background. : (
on April 14, 2012
I ordered a different background because they have many choices, the picture on there website looked great, but what I got was a disaster. Instead of a cloudy background it looked like it was spray painted with streaks and there was large areas without any color. They asked for pictures, so I sent them. I guess they agreed because they told me to return it for a refund, but they won't refund my return shipping. Dealing with them cost me $15 with nothing to show for it.
on December 16, 2010
I was preparing for a charity shoot and wanted to expand my backdrop options without investing a lot of money. I ordered this and borrowed a blue muslin to cover the basics. This backdrop didn't look exactly like the photo, it has a large light brown center surrounded by darker browns around the edges. I would have liked to see more graduation between the center and edges, but it photographs better than it looks in person. I opted to leave the background light off to acheive very deep and rich looking dark browns. I liked the results so much that I ended up not using any of the other backdrops for the 20 portraits I shot that day. It's now my first choice for formal portraits.

While the colors are comparable to a much more expensive backdrop, the paints and material are not. The muslin is just transluscent enough to allow bright lights/windows to bleed through. Doubling up a couple of backgrounds eliminates this problem. As the other review warns, it should stay out of a washing machine, but I did throw mine in the dryer on low with a damp towel to reduce the packing wrinkles with no noticable problems. With care, it should be a nice addition to any budget studio.
on August 21, 2010
I was hesitating on purchasing our first backdrop. My husband is just now trying his hand at professional photography, so we aren't experts on backdrops. What I can tell you, however, is that I was concerned at the reviews of some of the other backdrops that were similar. They complained of color being really off the picture, or light and dark tones having too much contrast. That was something I could understand, and didn't want.
Anyway, I hoped this one would look like it did on the picture, and with no reviews yet, I crossed my fingers and ordered. It came in a nice plastic bag, with snaps, that I'm sure we can reuse.
My husband LOVES it. It is really pretty. The picture seems to show the middle of the backdrop because the edges are definitely darker. But it goes well from lighter to darker and the colors are really nice.
We just got this backdrop, but so far, I would say we are very pleased. Updates when we begin getting pictures in front of it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
This is a good backdrop for the price, It came with a pretty good carring bag. I had only one issue, the backdrop had a couple of small blue paint spots on it. They were'nt in the way but they are there. would have rated it a 5.
on December 27, 2012
This 10x12 muslin backdrop is perfect for a small studio / intimate portraits. The muslin is heavier (not thin like a bed-sheet) but not heavy like canvas. I wasn't looking for heavy canvas, so this is perfect! The coloring is soft and fades perfectly from light to dark with no obvious blotching or marks that stand out. Honestly, for the price, I am very impressed! I wish I would have opted for the larger 10x20...but the brown at the edges is dark enough that I can run my solid black backdrop on the ground underneath this backdrop for full-length shots or portraits with multiple subjects.

Would not hesitate to order another muslin backdrop from Studiohut!
on December 8, 2011
Out of all the backdrops I have this is the most chosen by my families. It is a nice looking backdrop. It looks better than it does in the picture they advertise it with. It has a nice color change from top to bottom and lighter in the center. This is a nice strong backdrop and great quality for the money.
on May 21, 2012
I purchased this backdrop and another one for much more money for a large shoot I had scheduled for a church with several hundred members. Every single person that looked at the two backdrops, picked this one as a winner! The backdrop was used and with great success! The photos came out wonderful.

I highly recommend this backdrop, it's very professional in it's appearance and it's huge! It made doing some of the photos especially easy as it was 20' long it was easy to drape over a small table and/or chairs that we sometimes set smaller children on, which kept a nice clean look to the photos without bringing in the elements of the chairs or tables and not looking exactly right for what we were doing... Also, some kids we just put right on the floor and due to the backdrop being 20', there was plenty of floor covered without any chance of the existing carpet in the room being in the photos...

Only two minor things keep me from giving this a five star rating, although it's very difficult not to give it five stars...

1) When the backdrop arrived, the paint was still damp and got all over our hands and white iphone! One place where it was stepped on while we were opening it, left a dark stain from the paint on the carpet... Wasn't keen on that, but I guess they made it fresh...

2) About half of the backdrop is just as shown... it is a little darker on the edges, but that worked out very nicely for the photos, almost as a vingette type of look... the other half of the backdrop has a 100% totally different look, a nice look, but extremely different than the first 10'. I can look at that as a plus or as a minus... Plus - It gives me a different backdrop to use for the price of one! Minus - If I have a large group I will not be able to use the backdrop in a wider fashion than the 10', as the backdrop has two completely different patterns on each end of the 20'. Kind of strange, but I'll live with it!

The backdrop was very good quality. The wrinkles steamed right out (We left the more natural looking wrinkles and just steamed out the fold creases for this shoot), we didn't fold the backdrop for the next shoot, we just shoved it all in the very nice little carrying bag that came with it. When we opened it the next day, all the wrinkles looked like they belonged there and gave us an interesting texture to go with the marbled look of the backdrop.

The next shoot, we steamed out all the creases and wrinkles, again for what turned out to be another look all together and a very nice look at that!

The backdrop comes with a very nice zippered carrying bag, as well as about a 3" loop on one of the long ends for hanging on the backdrop stands... The only thing that would have been maybe nice is another loop on the other end, since we have two completely different designs on one backdrop...

**Just a note, when I say the other end of the backdrop is totally different, I mean totally different, there is no similarity to the end that is shown at all, none whatsoever, but it is nice and may be an excellent backdrop as well, not just a floor design..

Unless they do something terribly different, I think anyone would be really, really pleased with this purchase, I know I am... It's one of my nicest looking backdrops now... And it wasn't to dark in the center at all, in fact, I had to lower the backdrop a little for some of the photos to get the darker part in...

Great buy, seems like it will last a long time, as long as I keep it in the bag when not being used and don't wash it! I have a regular clothing steamer, purchased from Wally World for around $30, it works great and the backdrop paint doesn't run or anything like that. If you run the steamer hard against the material, I imagine a little may come off on the steamer, but you really don't have to touch the material to make it work and get great results.

I just saw another one they have that has a lot of green, taupe, gold and black in it, I'm going to get that one now too, I'm pretty impressed with this one, especially for the money! The other one was only 9x10 and was almost twice as much money! And it looked like crap!

Okay, I talked myself into it, 5 stars!
on March 3, 2013
My wife and i are DIY photographers ... We wanted to do our own newborn photos and family portraits. This background is awesome! Well worth the money. Great color and sturdy fabric!