5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Bible with great Study content
I bought this Bible for my wife this past Christmas. The pink and brown cover is soft and seems to be of good quality.
Published on January 31, 2012 by Fishing Dries

2.0 out of 5 stars Cessationist Theology Dressed Up as (Faux) Intellecutalism
The translation is decent (a little over-simplified for someone used to the the KJV), the quality is good, the illustrations and maps are helpful and useful and the historical/secular linkages are interesting. The main problem I have with the HCSB study bible is the "study" aspect (i.e. study notes) are very much geared toward (prejudiced?) cessation theology to the point...
Published 1 month ago by Bruce Nanasy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Bible with great Study content, January 31, 2012
We use the KJV as our "official" Bible but my wife wanted something that would help her decipher some the harder to read passages of the KJV. After some research and having used the HCSB for reference in the past I felt comfortable with the HCSB content and translation.
As for the study material, it is very informative. My wife has taken a new interest in her Bible. I am a minister of 20 years and she is coming to me with tidbits that are new and inspiring to me. I happen to be taking a university class on Genesis. The information my wife has been sharing with me from her study Bible is identical to what I have been learning in my college classes. So the scholarship and content of the HCSB study Bible can be trusted and is in-depth enough to interest even the seasoned student.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Might Be My Favorite Bible!, August 30, 2012
This is the first Holman Bible I have owned and I just love it. It is filled with everything you could imagine. I love the color images, the charts, the introduction to each book of the Bible and the Hebrew definitions are amazing.

There are great outlines and the commentary is very helpful.

This is a superb study Bible. I would suggest this choice for anyone who is serious about diving into God's Word.

My only arguement would be that the pages are thin and when my Bible came they were stuck together. I was terrified I was going to rip a page as I was gently seperating them. It took some time, but once I worked on it, they parted and all is good now. Not sure if all Holman Study Bibles are like this, but this one sure was. Otherwise, this is an outstanding Study Bible. One I use daily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a great Study Bible adds a Concordance!, April 26, 2012
Terry (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
In my previous review of the HCSB Study Bible (a year or two ago) I listed some of the strengths of this Bible. An excellent,clear Translation combined with solid evangelical notes (could be a little darker font), Book Introductions, Word Studies, Bible Reading Plan, Articles etc. My chief concern back then was the lack of a decent concordance which is an essential tool for studying Scripture.

Well, as of March 2012, the HCSB Study Bible (Imitation Leather-very durable) now includes a 40 page concordance that is very usable. Well done Holman, thanks for listening to the feedback of your customers! I have ordered 4 copies to distribute and am looking forward to studying with the HCSB Study Bible.

Highly Recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HCSB translation is outstanding! Superior! Kudos! (+ a caveat + a suggestion), October 24, 2013
El Coyote (Land of Enchantment) - See all my reviews
The special features of this particular Bible edition are user-friendly, practical, and quite helpful, for both the new believer and the long-time Christian.

MY PRINCIPAL EMPHASIS IN THIS REVIEW WILL BE ON THE TRANSLATED TEXT OF THE HCSB ITSELF. After all, the most important thing by far is the Word of God itself and the faithfulness of its translation.

THE HCSB IS WELCOME AND MORE-THAN-WORTHY as a successor to the excellent 1984 edition of the NIV (New International Version) Bible. The 2011 NIV is deficient (and one even could say derelict) in its translational accuracy, theological integrity, and historical understanding. Because Biblica and Zondervan are doing everything in their power to stamp out ruthlessly every available trace of the 1984 edition, THE HCSB NOT ONLY IS WELCOME BUT SORELY NEEDED.

The translation philosophy of the HCSB (like that of the 1984 NIV) focuses on precision of translation, historically orthodox theology, and an optimal blend of literalness and thought-for-thought accuracy that makes its language both accessible to both new Bible-readers and salutary for experienced Bible students.

THE LANGUAGE IS SPARKLING AND CLEAR AND ENGAGING. As you read the HCSB, it gives the sense of being Spirit-breathed. The HCSB is now the ONLY major Bible translation that fills that broadest-common-denominator niche previously filled by the 1984 NIV. Not only that, but in clarity, literalness, and literary quality, it even appears to excel the 1984 NIV.

OTHER DISTINCTIVE FEATURES THAT ESPECIALLY RECOMMEND THE HCSB INCLUDE:

(1) Use of traditional theological vocabulary terms (e.g., “justification”, “sanctification”), because there are no optimal (concise, accurate, and accessible) substitutes for them;

(2) Use of capitalized pronouns for God (which greatly clarifies many difficult passages without the need for stopping mid-sentence for potentially complicated word studies);

(3) Adequate consideration of variants in the source manuscripts;

(4) Use of the name “Yahweh” when the use of God’s personal name is clearly indicated in the original Hebrew, while still retaining the traditional English rendering of “LORD” the majority of times, as appropriate.

NOW THE CAVEATS AND SUGGESTIONS:

(A) I recommend as strongly as possible that Holman Publishers produce a basic, stripped-down edition of the HCSB that that consists solely of God’s Word and is completely devoid of all the sidebars, articles, and notes that expound Southern Baptist theological interpretations. As outstanding as the HCSB translation of the Scriptural text is, many churches and denominations cannot publicly use and distribute editions (apparently all of the current HCSB editions of every sort) that have extra-Scriptural annotations that contradict their teachings on important concepts like “decision theology”, infant baptism, the Real Presence in the Lord’s Supper, eschatology, and “once saved always saved”.

(B) The footnotes on manuscript sources and variant readings could be improved. The New King James Version (NKJV) probably does the best job of all the current, major translations of identifying these sources in its basic footnotes (without the need to resort to a detailed study Bible). Unfortunately, the HCSB, like most other current translations, uses non-informative footnotes like “Other manuscrips read…” or “Other mss add…”. It would be nice to know if reference is being made to the Septuagint (LXX), the Majority Text, the Textus Receptus, Aquila, the Vulgate, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Syriac, the Samaritan Pentateuch, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, cubits translated in feet! All the other strange Biblical units too!, September 13, 2014
I have collected different versions of the Bible for many years, and could never figure out why People go through the effort of translating to a very readable version (such as the NIV), then they leave in cubits, etc. are translators bad at math? The reader has to look at study notes to get some idea of the dimensions. Finally though, in the HCSB, we don't have to read about cubits, because cubits have been translated in feet! So the ark is given in feet, the temple measurements, etc. ditto for volume measurements. That in itself makes the text so much easier to understand. The study notes are extensive, and quite good. A lot of space is devoted to Greek and Hebrew word studies, and since I am bad at remembering foreign languages, that does not really interest me. But the concordance is very good, and the pictures and maps quite nice. Oh the thin pages? All quality leather and now pseudo leather has those thin pages with gold or silver outside coatings that make them stick together when new. At least they have been that way since I started getting Bibles over 50 years ago. And I love it. I have never had one tear, I look forward to the new crispy feel of the pages in a brand new Bible. You just have to gently peel them apart at first or flex sections at a time. I really hate the pages and feel of hardback Bibles in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Study Bible, April 17, 2012
This is an excellent study Bible that is full of good notes with a good translation to boot. The only problem I had when I bought it was the heavily-printed pages (usually the beginning of each new book) stuck together and it took some time to pull them apart. Other than that this is a great study Bible for anyone who's serious about studying the Bible. The pictures (mostly photos and some drawings) are great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Translation, June 25, 2012
This translation makes reading and studying much easier. It looks great and the font is easy to see. The translation and additional information makes it much easier to follow. Will treasue it forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible, June 18, 2013
This Bible is excellent. I love the translation. It is easy enough to understand, yet does not over-simplify the meaning. The notes are a great tool to understanding the meaning better, and it has maps that aid the reading. Overall this Bible is a great tool for understanding God's word better. I absolutely love this Bible and would recommend it to others. I gave it five stars because the content as well as the quality of the Bible itself is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars HCSB Study Bible, October 4, 2013
Collin D Riley (San Clemente, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my wife. Pink portion of cover grabs dirt, but it comes off with a mars eraser. Cover is flexible and brown near spine is faux tooled leather and you can grab it there. Sewn binding lays flat. Gilding on page edges on her copy is thick, but unevenly applied and pages must be separated. 2 ribbons.

Firstly, it is such a wonderful study bible, still I will pick it apart a little at first. The type runs close to gutter, and print is small. It is reasonably dark and uniform but with such thin bible paper and so much color, there ends up being bleed through and in poor lighting can be a little hard to read, but with reasonable lighting, I had a great time sampling it.

For the good- It is such a great translation when you read large portions in context. I bought it for my wife. I stick w NASB for my own study, but with substantial other material for reference.

When I compared online, I liked the handling of a few things better in my NASB, plus I just am a creature of habit. HCSB has some roundabout wordings that don't really change meaning, but change the sound of passages I am familiar with and have even maybe memorized. I am not ready to switch over, but I can heartily recommend it for reading and serious study based on my experience, and the study bible is very well done. I like how they keep the Greek for Hades Tartarus and Gehenna and give articles. They espouse traditional view, but deliver word unvarnished with transparent explanations. It is good and doesn't seem to hide the spectrum of possible readings or contemporaneous contexts as some more defensive works might. It is a cool bible I recommend it.

Thanks, Collin

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, February 6, 2013
Juanita S. Blackurn (Johnson City, TN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HCSB Study Bible, Mulberry LeatherTouch Indexed (Imitation Leather)
Got it as a Christmas gift from my husband. It is beautiful. To my surprise it has the index taps on the side. Very well made. Love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

HCSB Study Bible, Mulberry LeatherTouch Indexed
HCSB Study Bible, Mulberry LeatherTouch Indexed by Terry L. Wilder (Imitation Leather - April 1, 2012)
$79.99 $50.91