5.0 out of 5 stars in response to the negative review
In response the previous negative review of Colander's book, I must say the text is one of my favorite texts of a long academic journey. I have an MBA (where I first used the Colander text as a refresher) and am completing an MA in Econ this semester and have often referred to the earlier edition that I own.
As one advances in economics, it may prove beneficial from...
Published on January 13, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs
As an introductory economics text, this one is absolutely terrible. The much touted "conversational" writing style is actually a poor imitation of teenage slang and substantially devalues the subject matter. Somewhat paradoxically, the depth and breadth of subject matter is most appropriate for very advanced students -- the students most likely find the...
Published on January 15, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars in response to the negative review, January 13, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
As one advances in economics, it may prove beneficial from time to time to go back to the basics, which is what this text is - an introduction to eocnomic reasoning utilizing an unbiased treatment of differing and competing economic theories. There is simply no way any professional economist would call this text advanced! While Colander may address a broad scope of subjects within the field of economics, he does so in a manner consistent with an introductory treatment. One does not even have to use math if preferred.
His conversational style may not be for everyone, but it worked well for me. It's not often that I have laughed out loud reading an Econ text, but I did with this book. I found it to be a refreshing and entertaining treatment of an otherwise dry subject. By the way, I have no affiliation to the publisher or author, which was a concern of the previous negative reviewer. For anyone considering the purchase, or even classroom use of this text, I'd be happy to provide more detail as to why I appreciate Colander's text - just e-mail me at timbuktu66@yahoo.com. In the end, the highest praise I can give any textbook author is to say that it fostered a desire to learn more about that subject. I am a graduate student in Econ today thanks to Colander's text and the professor who steered my toward reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Economics Text!, March 11, 2000
Chris Reed (Bethlehem, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
By far one of the best textbooks I've ever used, and certainly one of the best economics books on the market. Colander's down to earth, sometimes conversational writing style presents many involved and sometimes complicated topics in a manner that makes them easy to grasp. This text is a must for any economics student. Teachers and professors should also seriously consider using this text in their classrooms.

5.0 out of 5 stars I became an economics major after using this book!, October 25, 2010
This textbook is superbly written! Though I haven't read through Colander's newer versions of this principles of economics textbook, I am sure they are still excellent based on my experience with this book. I took Principles of Economics when I was considering to be an economics major, and we were assigned this edition. At first, I didn't read it, the subject intimidated me, and I was doing poorly on assignments and exams. But once I started reading the text, I ended up reading it basically from cover to cover (I don't think we had to, though) and LOVING economics. It made me think more critically about consumer and producer decisions and their impact, and I was able to explain the material so much better. I went from having a C/D range in the class during midterms to passing with a solid A by finals time. Hence I ended up being an economics major.

Colander's writing is very clear, and he uses good examples ordinary college students can understand. He can be a bit silly sometimes, but his amusing side probably kept me interested in reading the text through the long hours of the night. The workbook, Study Guide t/a Economics, is also very good. It follows the textbook pretty well and gives you a good sense of confidence when you're practicing for an upcoming exam.

If you can't afford the newest edition of whatever textbook your professor assigned you to read, but you still need a book to follow the class and study, consider getting this book (and/or the study guide that matches it, also from Colander). You can always borrow a friend's textbook when you need the newest edition for an assignment or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another response to the negative review, May 8, 2006
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
I just finished my introductory economics course with this book, and I found it easy to understand, and sometimes fun to read.

Other students I know also liked this book.

Sometimes quite wordy, but if you're already at the level to read this, I think you'd know how to skip them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written economics textbook, July 30, 2009
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
This book is extremely well-written and easy to understand for the beginning economics student. The author writes in a casual style and you can tell he really wants students to understand the concepts and theories behind micro- & macroeconomics. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well liked book, October 28, 2005
M.W. (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
I used this book for an MBA economics class I taught last year and my students really liked it. It received much more positive reviews than the one I used the year before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Economics book, January 7, 2003
By A Customer
This book was great for my introductory economics course. It would be helpful for anyone interesting in learning more about this important topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Topic, Good Book, August 26, 2008
I liked how this book was laid out. I bought it for college and I really liked the questions at the end of the chapter which helped to make the concepts in the chapter more realistic and understandable. I recommend the study guide as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic economic knowledge, July 10, 2009
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
a great economic book, which gives you a basic economic knowledge that you need for bussiness, personal financial view and so on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Condition!, March 1, 2010
B. Ousley (Sacramento, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Economics (Hardcover)
The book is in great condition for school. The only bad thing is the messy highlight but it just for school so the book is great!

Study Guide t/a Economics
Study Guide t/a Economics by David C. Colander (Paperback - September 27, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01